2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

dexyfex

CodeWalker 3D Map Viewer for GTAV

Mr.Arrow

I'm hoping it's all just some big crazy misunderstanding...

While Take Two's action is completely unacceptable, I think OpenIV closed modding policy is partly the problem here. Almost everyone is depending on one tool don't you think? We don't have enough documentation about the files and resources because OpenIV don't seem to bother sharing with us.

I think NTAuthority is right, closed source modding is not helping the community at all.

Let us serve this as a reminder, and we hope that in the future modders will not repeat this mistake :

DCfPSzqWAAAA.jpg

Edited by Mr.Arrow

dexyfex

I made sure to include full source code with CW in recent releases, in case this sort of thing would happen. But I also completely understand their concerns about releasing source code. I was hesitant to release CW code initially, probably for the same reason as OpenIV.

dexyfex

Maybe I missed something, but from what I found in source code, it seems you are not loading DLCs with overwrites from \update.rpf\dlc_patch\*. So map does not have to match 100% with in-game map.

It should be loading from update.rpf\dlc_patch ... If you are looking in the source code for how that happens, it's in GameFileCache.GetDlcPatchedPath() method.

dav90

Maybe I missed something, but from what I found in source code, it seems you are not loading DLCs with overwrites from \update.rpf\dlc_patch\*. So map does not have to match 100% with in-game map.

It should be loading from update.rpf\dlc_patch ... If you are looking in the source code for how that happens, it's in GameFileCache.GetDlcPatchedPath() method.

Yeah you are right, sorry! ... code was too big to search it line by line and I just searched for "dlc_patch" string, which I see was dumb thing to do. Of course load real path from .meta is much better and I should think of it since I use the same approach in my modding tool :D.

Anyway I really hope you are not about to stop developing this awesome tool just because of some rich company bullying. As long as you are not sharing complete decryption key, you are not doing anything illegal and you should not get that feeling just because someone uses cheap and immoral way to convince you that you do.

Edited by dav90

Mysterdogg

Just found this tool today and is incredible, thank you very much for making this; I can finally know the names of some objects I was trying to find folder by folder with OpenIV. I will definitely mention you in the credits of my current project.

mockba.the.borg

Awesome tool ... maybe make a GitHub repository so we can submit suggestions/patches.

Thanks,

Mockba the Borg.

Ash_735

Uh Oh

According to mystery hunters, these images were obtained via a tool known as Codewalker, which allows users to load up the GTA map. Through Codewalker, players can explore GTA to a degree they normally can’t in-game, and it also allows them to peer into the game’s code. Using both the code viewer and the model viewer in Codewalker, Team Guru members Tom and Gramz and Codewalker creator Dexyfexy identified a group of new, never-before-seen props.

Take-Two:

Edited by Ash_735

Mr.Arrow

I heard this from reddit several days ago, pretty neat that they found something new about those easter eggs.

And back to Kotaku, this seems like a good way to get unwanted attention.... *looks at Take Two*

dexyfex

Out now:

Edited by dexyfex

mockba.the.borg

Damn ... now I won't be able to sleep until v23 is released ... :)

HeySlickThatsMe

Holy f*cking sh*t :O

dr0yed

My gosh! Vice city with traffic! I can't believe traffic has finally been cracked

Gforce

Looks like I picked a good time to return to doing some GTA modding, this tool is amazing, thank you :)

Mr.Arrow

lol I thought the new version will came out next week.

You never cease to amaze me, dexyfex. I will spread this wonderful news to the map modders! Make map modding great again!

Edited by Mr.Arrow

Mr.Arrow

Seems like Rockstar's statement is quite vague. Map modding seems to be restricted ( if the statement is clear, then any custom map may be forbidden depending on Take Two's action)

Not sure whether we can create map from scratch. It looks like mapping is in the grey zone *sigh*

Edited by Mr.Arrow

dexyfex

Well R* said they want to support original creators, so I guess creating a map from scratch should be fine... As far as I can tell, their primary concerns seem to be the IP issues and online hackers.

dexyfex

Here's some more gameplay footage with the traffic mod, it's good for a bit of a laugh:

P2FX

This is awesome. And what's the status of entity extension editing? Can't wait to be able to change color of lights and make boomboxes play music.

Edited by P2FX

Neos7

instancedgrass painting next!

dexyfex

These things will hopefully be added sometime soon! Entity extensions and grass are both stored in .ymap files, which are already being created by CodeWalker, so I really just need to add the editing UI for them (although the editing interface for grass will need to be more complex).

dexyfex

Another video, this time showing some slightly more advanced path editing. Also gives some other possibly helpful information about editing paths:

dr0yed

I'm as inexperienced as ever with these things but those videos look pretty straightforward for people who want to learn--thank you. I'm currently trying to put traffic on MrVicho13's Liberty City map (though he'll probably have it finished and more polished, I'm just doing this to learn and hopefully do the same for other maps).

In your first path editing video, @1:48, how did you get that node in Hyrule Castle? I'd like to do the same with Liberty City so that I can keep extending it, etc but the liberty city map doesn't have a single node on it..this is probably the simplest thing ever, I'll do more tinkering with it tonight.

Thanks again for your work

dexyfex

Thanks! :)

how did you get that node in Hyrule Castle?

After creating the new .ynd file and setting the AreaID, I used the New Node option from the Ynd menu in the project window. Set the flags etc on the new node, then extend that out to a 2nd node. Then set the flags on the forward link and the back link that were just created. After that, you can continue like in the video :)

Also, a second option for creating the first node(s) is to select an existing node in the world that you'd like to copy, and press Ctrl-C. Then in the project window, select the new .ynd file you want the new node in. Switch back to the world view, and press Ctrl-V. This will create a new node in the new .ynd file, that is linked to the node that was copied. If you extend that newly pasted node now (while it's still connected to the copied node), the flags on the copied node's links will also be copied. After you've created the first segment, you can then go and remove the erroneous link that was created when Ctrl-V was used.

Mr.Arrow

You have to copy a node from vanilla map.

hellya2011

Ok, so maybe someone knows how and can help, because i can't get nodes working for me.

So i place a node down on the map, and copy the flags from an existing node within GTA. I set the area for the .ynd file, and for the node, then i use shift to place more nodes down and save the node as a .ynd. In this case i save it as nodes30.ynd (30 for being the area number). I import it into the paths.img in update.rpf. Nodes don't work in the game. Am i missing a step here? it's not really clear on making them.

Edited by hellya2011

dexyfex

Ok, so maybe someone knows how and can help, because i can't get nodes working for me.

So i place a node down on the map, and copy the flags from an existing node within GTA. I set the area for the .ynd file, and for the node, then i use shift to place more nodes down and save the node as a .ynd. In this case i save it as nodes30.ynd (30 for being the area number). I import it into the paths.img in update.rpf. Nodes don't work in the game. Am i missing a step here? it's not really clear on making them.

I think the only thing you're missing that you haven't noted here is setting the flags on the first link, when you have 2 nodes (before extending it to more nodes). If you select each node at that stage, there will be one link visible on each node. The flags can be different for those 2 links, to control the flow for each direction.

I've made an Area ID map to make it easier for people to find the correct Area IDs:

CWPathNodesAreaMap.pngI hope it helps, also I hope I got all the numbers right!

hellya2011

I think the only thing you're missing that you haven't noted here is setting the flags on the first link, when you have 2 nodes (before extending it to more nodes). If you select each node at that stage, there will be one link visible on each node. The flags can be different for those 2 links, to control the flow for each direction.

I've made an Area ID map to make it easier for people to find the correct Area IDs:

I hope it helps, also I hope I got all the numbers right!

tried that too. I've spent my whole day trying to set flags, copying different nodes and placing them again. I've completely gave up at this point. The nodes never spawn cars in game for me :sui:

thanks anyway...

BTW there is a bug that if you open a .ynd and try to edit the flags, and save it again, it saves a blank file.

Edited by hellya2011

dr0yed

I've placed a copied node into liibery city within the corresponding Area ID (908, thaks for that imagei), deleted its old links and furthered the path using shift & the arrows. I saved the file as nodes908.ynd and added it to paths. rpf but the traffic won't load in game. I've tried messing with flags but I'm probably missing something. I'll try rewatching those videos

Mr.Arrow

I think we need to write a documentation about the flags used in nodes, they seem to hold some valuable information, but the functions are so far unknown. I use vanilla nodes as a reference, try messing around with it.

dexyfex

Things to check if having trouble:
- Check .ynd file has the correct AreaID (on the Ynd tab), matching the file name.

- Update the vehicle nodes and ped nodes count values on that same tab (still not sure what flag indicates whether a node is ped/vehicle, if anyone figures that out, let me know!)

- Make sure your .ynd AreaID is correct (the blue box in the editor shows the extents of the selected AreaID). Also, if you changed the AreaID after creating nodes, you'll have to update the AreaID on those nodes as well (I'll fix this at some point).

- Check the flags on the nodes and links (note that each visible link is usually 2 links, forward and back - one attached to each node).

These flags values are what I used for the Hyrule demo, to create a "freeway":
image.png

Note that the selected link in the picture is for the "forward" direction. The back direction links are the same, except for Flags2 which is 8.

I think I have covered everything here. Make sure you have followed these steps exactly.

I plan to make this all more user-friendly in the future, once we have discovered some more what all these unknown flags values are used for.

BTW there is a bug that if you open a .ynd and try to edit the flags, and save it again, it saves a blank file.

Damn, thought I fixed that one... I've noticed .ymap files can also have the same issue. The workaround is to make sure you have a project file open (and saved to disk) before opening any files. I'll make sure to give this issue extra attention though, because having files nuked like that is never a good thing...

Also, make sure you add the .ynd files to mods/update/update.rpf/x64/levels/gta5/paths.rpf

(I have only tested this from the mods folder, but I guess it should also work in the vanilla update.rpf)

Another thing, if you are editing an existing .ynd file, make sure you are starting with the ones from update.rpf. Easiest way to do that is to check Enable DLC before editing in CodeWalker.

(Note however that in the current version, deleting nodes from existing .ynd files will cause problems - don't even try it, will probably cause instant game crash).

Edited by dexyfex