4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Potent Tear Gas

spaceeinstein

spaceeinstein

Introduction

Potent Tear Gas is a modification for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City utilizing the CLEO Library. In the standard PC version of the game, the tear gas weapon is unavailable and its effect is ineffective if you manage to obtain one. This mod replaces the grenade weapon pickup behind the VCPD HQ with the tear gas and allows the tear gas to be more potent. You can modify the potency of the tear gas by editing SETearGas.dat, a plain text file, and changing the decimal number in line 1. This mod uses the number 5.0 and the base game uses the number 1.0.

Bonus feature: any law enforcers affected by the gas will increase your wanted level. You can toggle the bonus feature off or on by editing SETearGas.dat and changing the number in line 2. Use 0 for off and 1 for on.

Installation

• Download the mod at GTAGarage. If you are unable to open SETearGas.rar, rename the file to SETearGas.zip.
  • Download CLEO for Vice City at http://cleo.li/.
  • From the CLEO download, copy VC.CLEO.asi into Vice City's folder.
  • If CLEO.asi already exists in the folder, you must delete that file.
  • From this mod download, place the CLEO folder containing SETearGas.cs and SETearGas.dat into Vice City's folder.
This mod has been tested only on VC v1.00 US.

Video

Source

Sanny Builder

constSTRUCT_BEGIN = 0x945D30STRUCT_SIZE = 0x34INDEX = [email protected]_VAR = [email protected]_LOCATION = [email protected]_ELEMENT = [email protected]_ENTITY = [email protected]_MODEL = [email protected]_ENTITY = [email protected]_OFFSET = [email protected]_FVAR = [email protected] : intTEMP_VAR : intPICKUP_LOCATION : intSTRUCT_ELEMENT : intPICKUP_ENTITY : intPICKUP_MODEL : intTEMP_FVAR : floatend0247: request_model #TEARGAS038B: load_requested_modelswait 10000AC6: LABEL_OFFSET = label @HEX_VALUE offset0A8C: write_memory 0x4D4ED6 size 4 val LABEL_OFFSET virtual_protect 1 // make gas more potent0A8C: write_memory 0x4D4E0F size 4 val 0x90909090 virtual_protect 1 // allows anyone to get damaged by it0A8C: write_memory 0x4D4E13 size 2 val 0x9090 virtual_protect 1INDEX = 00A8C: write_memory 0x4D4ECE size 1 value 0xE9 virtual_protect 1 // jmp0AC6: LABEL_OFFSET = label @HEX_CODE offset0AB1: call_scm_func @RELATIVE_ADDRESS inputs 2 source 0x4D4ECF target LABEL_OFFSET0AC6: LABEL_OFFSET = label @UPDATEWANTEDLEVEL offset0AB1: call_scm_func @RELATIVE_ADDRESS inputs 2 source LABEL_OFFSET target 0x4D2110 // UpdateWantedLevel0AC6: LABEL_OFFSET = label @JMP offset0AB1: call_scm_func @RELATIVE_ADDRESS inputs 2 source LABEL_OFFSET target 0x4D4ED4while if INDEX  362.0        TEMP_FVAR  -501.0            TEMP_FVAR  12.0                TEMP_FVAR GTA3script

{LVAR_INT index, temp_var, pickup_location, struct_element, pickup_entity, pickup_model, object_entity, label_offsetLVAR_FLOAT temp_fvarREQUEST_MODEL TEARGASLOAD_ALL_MODELS_NOWWAIT 1000GET_LABEL_POINTER hex_value label_offsetWRITE_MEMORY 0x4D4ED6 4 label_offset 1 // make gas more potentWRITE_MEMORY 0x4D4E0F 4 0x90909090 1 // allows anyone to get damaged by itWRITE_MEMORY 0x4D4E13 2 0x9090 1index = 0WRITE_MEMORY 0x4D4ECE 1 0xE9 1 // jmpGET_LABEL_POINTER hex_code label_offsetCLEO_CALL relative_address 0 0x4D4ECF label_offsetGET_LABEL_POINTER updatewantedlevel label_offsetCLEO_CALL relative_address 0 label_offset 0x4D2110 // UpdateWantedLevelGET_LABEL_POINTER jmp label_offsetCLEO_CALL relative_address 0 label_offset 0x4D4ED4WHILE index  362.0    AND temp_fvar  -501.0        AND temp_fvar  12.0            AND temp_fvar 

Thanks to piko and Jitterdoomer for suggesting that the player should get a wanted level when using the tear gas, and Mugetsuga for suggesting an option to change the potency.

Edited by spaceeinstein

Blackbird88

Very very nice! VCLF will love this :D

• Like 2

Igor Bogdanoff

Very very nice! VCLF will love this :D

Nice. will sh*t his pants in 3, 2, 1...

Can confirm.

• Like 1

Great. Just you forgot to add the source code to the post as always. :p

• Like 2

spaceeinstein

I updated the post with the source code.

• Like 3

Nice one, but it still doesn't give me a wanted level which makes it kinda overpowered :p

Igor Bogdanoff

It behaves like normal weapon, aka some cop has to see you.

You're writing a pointer to a float inside the script itself and then terminating it but I'm not really sure if the script gets deleted on termination or not - you might have to make it spin in an idle loop just to be safer?

At least that's why (I think) CBO for SA is totally broken.

Edited by Silent

Jitterdoomer

At least the tear gas on this version wasn't as laggy as the PS2 version. Can you add something where if you kill a cop with the tear gas, you'll get another wanted star like every other weapons in the game?

spaceeinstein

@Silent, I hadn't thought of that possibility. I'll add a loop in the next update.

@piko and Jitterdoomer, I could make your wanted level to be set to a minimum of one if the gas affects a cop.

• 1 month later...
spaceeinstein

Version 2 is released! Any law enforcers affected by the gas will increase your wanted level.

• Like 1

That's nice to see the tear gas do damages again, but they are too deadly.

Right now the damages are between 24 and 27.

On PS2, the damages were between 2 and 5.

spaceeinstein

The PS2 version being weak is why I made the tear gas more potent. I didn't intend to replicate it. Do you want an option to change how much it damages?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
spaceeinstein

Version 3 is up. You can now modify the potency of the tear gas by changing the number in SETearGas.dat, a plain text file. The value used for this mod is 5.0 and the value used by the base game is 1.0.

Edited by spaceeinstein

spaceeinstein

It should be 1.0 also.

Edited by spaceeinstein
  • Like 1

spaceeinstein

The website thinks the particular file has a virus (does a virus even fit in such a small size?). Check the status of the issue here.

Edited by spaceeinstein
  • Like 2

spaceeinstein

I think Kalvin is well aware of the issue if you followed the link. If the update is what you actually want, I uploaded the file on my site here.

• Like 2

Rachel Amber

Thanks :) anyway just some question any way to port this into .asi in a feathure?

Edited by NOskillx

spaceeinstein

What's the difference between CLEO and ASI for you?

Rachel Amber

just asking because i don't use cleo really i only stick to .asi mods + they more stable but yeah ok if no plans for asi version :/, i will use cleo one its still nice after all ;)

spaceeinstein

Any mod regardless of its type can be unstable if the person developing it doesn't make sure it is stable. All my recent CLEO mods should be generally stable.

• Like 2

Any mod regardless of its type can be unstable if the person developing it doesn't make sure it is stable. All my recent CLEO mods should be generally stable.

Or that the person doesn't know what he's doing. :p

• Like 1

PS2 value is 0.7. It decreases health by 2-4 points.

But killing a cop doesn't give 3 stars on PS2. Need another setting for this...

• Like 1

spaceeinstein

The tear gas should not have immediately given you three stars. I'm releasing Version 4 for those who want to turn off the bonus feature. Change the number in line 2 to 0 to turn it off.

Edited by spaceeinstein
  • Like 4

The tear gas should not have immediately given you three stars. I'm releasing Version 4 for those who want to turn off the bonus feature. Change the number in line 2 to 0 to turn it off.

Wow, thank you very much. Your mod is awesome :)

• Like 1