1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

What's the point of being a driver on pacific standard vans?

Waffenbubble

Most of the time nobody has a mic, the navigators drive because it's faster and easier. The drivers can't take photos of the license plates and they can't see where the vans are.

They don't have anything to do which is sad.

New players which are set as drivers also get frustrated and don't know what to do may quit.

In Rockstars perfect world everyone actually works together, the driver's drive around the Navigators.

I love the setup because it's a great time to use my Kalahari in a Setup and not get left behind in the dust.

• Like 2

Just recently I did it the proper way for the first time and was surprised the navigator can give directions without communicating by chat or voice. It seemed faster too because the navigator could easily take the pics as we drove behind the vans.

• Like 2

There's no need for a mic. The Navigator has an app to direct the driver to the nearest van. I find people who play along as Dri-Nav in the mission sometimes.

Personally I always join Vans and if I get placed into drivers then I just sit around and hope that the host invites me to the finale. In the mean time I browse the forums on my phone. I don't mind free money...

It makes for a nice coffee break though.

• Like 3

this is just one of those missions that could have been completed by just 2 players but R* logic says "spread this easy task among 4 players"

back in the day when i played heist, whenever i was set to drive, i just drove to the vicinity of lsc and waited for the others to take pics of the vans, the last one would always spawn in that area.

to be honest, apart from humane labs, i think all setups and heist could have been completed by 2 players.

• Like 2

this is just one of those missions that could have been completed by just 2 players but R* logic says "spread this easy task among 4 players"

back in the day when i played heist, whenever i was set to drive, i just drove to the vicinity of lsc and waited for the others to take pics of the vans, the last one would always spawn in that area.

to be honest, apart from humane labs, i think all setups and heist could have been completed by 2 players.

i totally agree they could be 2-4 players instead of strictly 4 but with players lagging out for no good reason it would suck if the rest of the team could just finish the finale without you.

Still I totally agree two players have do nothing jobs in most setups & finales.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Well...it does go a tad faster with coop...but you just dont take the risk with randumbs....and with people you know you generally just leave them iddling.

Da Elite Ninjah

When we do this heist we work as a team. We know where the Vans are gonna be.. So we team up with 2 vehicles the driver drives to where the vans are, the navigator already has the camera in their hand... This way you are faster than if you have to do it yourself.

Edited by Da Elite Ninjah

Theres a thing called fun. Sometimes we just do it with the drivers for just that reason

• Like 1

Without a shadow of a doubt. I'd argue against Labs (my favorite sets/heist) but then remembered the Valkyrie/finale would be tricky, unless they changed the Valkyrie to a Buzzard or the Happy Hunter.

Those setups though are easily solo-able. I know I'll come off as a try-hard dick, but I once solo'd the Hydra mission. One of my finest GTA achievements. Anyways, yeah, they should shorten the player requirement.

Edited by PetrolCB

Without a shadow of a doubt. I'd argue against Labs (my favorite sets/heist) but then remembered the Valkyrie/finale would be tricky, unless they changed the Valkyrie to a Buzzard or the Happy Thomas the Tank Engine.

Those setups though are easily solo-able. I know I'll come off as a try-hard dick, but I once solo'd the Hydra mission. One of my finest GTA achievements. Anyways, yeah, they should shorten the player requirement.

How did you do that if you need all 4 players in the boat before going to the aircraft carrier?

Without a shadow of a doubt. I'd argue against Labs (my favorite sets/heist) but then remembered the Valkyrie/finale would be tricky, unless they changed the Valkyrie to a Buzzard or the Happy Thomas the Tank Engine.

How did you do that if you need all 4 players in the boat before going to the aircraft carrier?

I'm guessing he did all the work & they just tagged along for the ride.

That's how I did it & most of the setups.

In a perfect world, A navigator will ride shotgun & direct the driver to the location of the vans ... You know, "Team Work".

But like most heist setups people are either lazy & looking for easy money or unfamiliar with the mission objective (due to not enough time to read it, not paying attention or simply can't read any English).

The job of the drivers is to chase around the navigators, constantly crash into them and attempt to fail the mission by getting too close to the vans.

We realised the first time we played this when the heists came out that the navigator and driver together were not needed. It's so much quicker just being the navigator hopping in your own car and finding them all yourself rather than wait for a player to try and communicate (usually badly) with their confusing ass 'directions', especially as the app on the phone can be a tad confusing to players not used to it.

As another poster above said- they do it so we can all get a nice fuzzy warm feeling for working as a 'team' but yeah it's pretty pointless.

Most of the time nobody has a mic, the navigators drive because it's faster and easier. The drivers can't take photos of the license plates and they can't see where the vans are.

They don't have anything to do which is sad.

New players which are set as drivers also get frustrated and don't know what to do may quit.

yeah, but if the navigators take the jobs of the drivers and drive away the actual drivers just stand around senseless and have nothing to do.

for some this might be ok to take a break for a smoke or whatever.

but many people (like me) hate to stand around because the navigators steal the job of the drivers and run away.

all of this might be badly designed by rockstar but it is what it is...

so dear navigators, please don't steal the job of the drivers and run away leaving them behind useless (unless you've made sure that it's ok for them)!

Edited by size_m

Well, a pro pacific vans driver does not need navigation. All vans do a scripted route, they're always So you just drive the navigator to the vans and they take the pictures. Teamwork is better than solo.

Sure, it is boring as hell. There's a risk of the drivers interfering with the navigators as a result or leaving because they can't be bothered to sit around.

But what's also boring is being the navigator and knowing either roughly or exactly where all the vans are, and spending time trying to guide terrible drivers through the streets to the vans.

I'm not saying I've had no positive experiences as navigator with a driver or vice versa, I definitely have. But the risk of ending up with a player who doesn't know what the hell they're supposed to do is pretty big. Who wants to sit in the car, waiting for the driver to finally understand the directions you're giving them and eventually finding a van and in many cases driving into or straight past the van?

Some players don't seem to pay attention and don't know what you're supposed to be looking for. Others don't realise they have to keep some distance.

But it always comes down to public versus private games. With random players, the best you can hope for is completion of the mission. I wouldn't expect much from teammates if I don't know them.

Despite popular belief that everyone needs to be in the boat, it's not true.

This took place on the VERY, VERY rare time I did this with randoms. Nobody was on, I was bored, so I joined it. Heavy, saved etc. Seemed all was well. We start, they're dicking around and never leave the spawn point, meanwhile, I'm practically at the boat. I got tired of waiting and took off. Made it there and surprisingly everything started up.

They never bothered to even do anything so I took the initiative. Cleared it, took the Hydra, killed the jets and landed it safely. Obviously not returning to the hosts invites afterwards.

Nice notch on the belt though.

Driver is pretty much a useless role. It's easier and less hassle to just have the navigator do the work. If you know which one it's going to be you can follow the van around until they are done finding them all and steal it that much quicker.

Edited by OrileyConner

Die.

Anyway, maybe they should have given drivers/navigators a specific vehicle to use because really they're pretty pointless. I usually just drive around aimlessly if I'm the driver.

Die.

Anyway, maybe they should have given drivers/navigators a specific vehicle to use because really they're pretty pointless. I usually just drive around aimlessly if I'm the driver.

Yeah. There's probably tons of simple fixes that they could've used to encourage (I mean force) teamwork. For example, randomising the locations of the vans and only having the trackify app work when the navigator is in a vehicle with a driver. Who would also have to be driving.