3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

Everywhere - by Benzies' "Build A Rocket Boy"

BLOOD

Plot twist: Take-Two Interactive acquires The Benz studios (maybe not).

Edited by BLOOD-MOND

Spider-Vice

Given that Take-Two is also directly involved in this dispute, that's 99,9% unlikely.

slimeball supreme

This game is gonna be really super cool and really good.

You can tell because of how many empty spots there are on the hiring list.

And how they're using a free engine.

And how it sounds like the idea for GTA Online, or an early access survival game.

And how it's online only with no story or structure.

And how the pitch is basically vague, meaningless ideas or buzzwords with nothing to show for it.

But no, it'll be a super great game. I mean, The Benz is on it! The guy who invented Shark Cards!

And look at how cool this photo is.

Cu8SzGt.jpg

So cool.

These are some cool guys making a cool video game. Rockstar must be flipping out right now, right guys? Because they've lost themselves what could be a great concept. Because, like, every idea is better when our lord and saviour Lez Benz does it.

Edited by Mr. Fartenhate

BLOOD

I smell another No Man's Sky here and afterward he sell his companies.

Ash_735

Well, if you were more informed you'd know that pretty much most developers these days use a "free" engine, Unreal 4, Unity, etc, if anything I've been told that CryEngine and Lumberyard are the closest ion style to RAGE to work with so if anything he's sticking with what he's worked with for years, well, closest to.

D T

This game is gonna be really super cool and really good.

You can tell because of how many empty spots there are on the hiring list.

And how it sounds like the idea for GTA Online, or an early access survival game.

And how it's online only with no story or structure.

And how the pitch is basically vague, meaningless ideas or buzzwords with nothing to show for it.

But no, it'll be a super great game. I mean, The Benz is on it! The guy who invented Shark Cards!

And look at how cool this photo is.

Cu8SzGt.jpg

So cool.

These are some cool guys making a cool video game. Rockstar must be flipping out right now, right guys?

I didn't know Dan Houser had an account on here. Edited by Deadly Target

slimeball supreme

I didn't know Dan Houser had an account on here.

Hold on, Dan? Wouldn't Sam be more appropriate? Dan just writes the games, he isn't really involved in the actual business end of stuff. Meanwhile the dispute was mainly with Sam and a few others. Im pretty sure Dan just wouldn't make sense in this case.

And even if I was Sam Houser, I probably wouldn't be wasting my time talking about The Benz's new early access survival game.

Edited by Mr. Fartenhate

BillGates

Hold on, Dan? Wouldn't Sam be more appropriate? Dan just writes the games, he isn't really involved in the actual business end of stuff. Meanwhile the dispute was mainly with Sam and a few others. Im pretty sure Dan just wouldn't make sense in this case.

And even if I was Sam Houser, I probably wouldn't be wasting my time talking about The Benz's new early access survival game.

Cut the crap L3slie. We all know it's you, acting as Dan acting as Sam.

Do they actually have a website or something? Where are the vacancies?

Edited by BillGates

Spider-Vice

Cut the crap L3slie. We all know it's you, acting as Dan acting as Sam.

Do they actually have a website or something? Where are the vacancies?

http://everywhere.game/

http://everywhere.game/work/

Rucke

I think it's weird that they claim to have over 30 employees when their LinkedIn page only has one employee attached to it.

BLOOD

I think it's weird that they claim to have over 30 employees when their LinkedIn page only has one employee attached to it.

Good thing no key talents from Rockstar family of studios (mainly North) did not go with him. And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad. God knows if the game will even be released. Long Live Rockstar Games! Long Live Take-Two Interactive!

Note:A prove that North/Rockstar is not a "one-man" group.

BillGates

@SpiderVince, thank you for the links.

And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad.

Developing a powerful game engine from scratch costs millions of dollars and requires lots of more employees. It literally requires A LOT of effort to make a good engine, maintain it (e.g. cross platform) while at the same time maximize its performance. Look at other non-major studios (some even major). Licensing an existing engine is definitely a smart move. Heck, even R* New England, the core folks who maintain the core of the RAGE engine, consists of a good 30-50 people who work full-time on the engine (they of course get help from other R* studios).

That being said, I would agree that by the look of the current R* employees, R* is indeed fine and will remain delivering quality work.

As much as respect as I have for both The Benz and the Housers bro's, I really don't think The Benz alone with some other team will deliver high quality with a lot less money and resources available for the expectations of the current gaming generation. (late edit: to clarify, I mean open-worldish games, of course other types of games are possible)

Rockstar is the only developer who actually pushes the envelope. It is really like an eye opener for other studios to see what the capabilities are of the current hardware.

Edited by BillGates

killdrivetheftvehicle

Judging by the website of the company it's going to be a space rpg (like destiny and no man's sky mixed). But that's just the first impression based on the capabilities of the engine.

We have nothing concrete about the game. Maybe it's going to be rpg with the whole world in it.

They said in an interview that there is going to be satire. That would not be possible without a connection to Earth and it's people. Or maybe they're talking about the space as depicted in Hollywood films and shows like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Alien, 2001 Space Odyssey, etc and other fiction, like games. There are of course parodies made out of Star Trek (Star Wreck), Star Wars (Space Balls), but I think there is no satire of these in games other than gta.

BLOOD

@SpiderVince, thank you for the links.

And the fact they cannot build an engine only to license a third party is just laughable and sad.

Developing a powerful game engine from scratch costs millions of dollars and requires lots of more employees. It literally requires A LOT of effort to make a good engine, maintain it (e.g. cross platform) while at the same time maximize its performance. Look at other non-major studios (some even major). Licensing an existing engine is definitely a smart move. Heck, even R* New England, the core folks who maintain the core of the RAGE engine, consists of a good 30-50 people who work full-time on the engine (they of course get help from other R* studios).

That being said, I would agree that by the look of the current R* employees, R* is indeed fine and will remain delivering quality work.

As much as respect as I have for both The Benz and the Housers bro's, I really don't think The Benz alone with some other team will deliver high quality with a lot less money and resources available for the expectations of the current gaming generation.

Rockstar is the only developer who actually pushes the envelope. It is really like an eye opener for other studios to see what the capabilities are of the current hardware.

Great comment, and tbh i did not know Rockstar New England were the studio maintaining the engine i thought it was RAGE Technology Group (thanks to Wikipedia).

BLOOD

It's San Diego, not New England! RAGE is even based off Angel Studios' (pre-R*) engine!

+info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine / http://archive.is/WI4j

True That. And it evolved into the Top 5 most powerful game engine in the World (#5 on Watchmojo's list and #3 on Machinima's list).

MightyMax

i hope everywhere be GTA alternative world real with cities real names (Los Angeles.San Francisco,Las Vegas,San Diego,Miami,New York,Detroit, etc.....). I hope they add many home and mansions with interiors and windows not textured.

I hope They give possibly to eat and be fat,slim,fit,muscle . I hope they give opportunity play basket, soccer,golf, surf,etc...

I hope they add skateboard,roller,bike,bicycle. i hope they add many wildlife animals. i hope the weather be best real extrasunny,sunny,clouds, sunrise, sunset :)

Titania

i hope everywhere be GTA alternative world real with cities real names (Los Angeles.San Francisco,Las Vegas,San Diego,Miami,New York,Detroit, etc.....). I hope they add many home and mansions with interiors and windows not textured.

I hope They give possibly to eat and be fat,slim,fit,muscle . I hope they give opportunity play basket, soccer,golf, surf,etc...

I hope they add skateboard,roller,bike,bicycle. i hope they add many wildlife animals. i hope the weather be best real extrasunny,sunny,clouds, sunrise, sunset :)

They probably won't have the budget to make that to today's standards. But then again, they're not working out of a garage either so who knows.

canyonjack

personally, I don't see The Benz as the "good guy" who was kicked out of R* and wanted out of GTA Online (that's the popular narrative here). I suspect it's the other way around. he wanted to force GTA into an MMO and the Housers' weren't having it, hence his 'departure'. If Everywhere is some kind of GTA online-esque MMO I will not be interested.

BLOOD

personally, I don't see The Benz as the "good guy" who was kicked out of R* and wanted out of GTA Online (that's the popular narrative here). I suspect it's the other way around. he wanted to force GTA into an MMO and the Housers' weren't having it, hence his 'departure'. If Everywhere is some kind of GTA online-esque MMO I will not be interested.

Exactly. That why he was already plotting 45 years worth of ideas. Great comment BTW.

Indi

Gonna have to agree with The Housers on this I think. GTA's main focus should never have been an online experience. It's about the narrative first and everything else second. GTA: Online is innovative I think but I remember Sam saying years ago that it's the narratives that are the most important.

Edited by Indi

D T

Gonna have to agree with The Housers on this I think. GTA's main focus should never have been an online experience. It's about the narrative first and everything else second. GTA: Online is innovative I think but I remember Sam saying years ago that it's the narratives that are the most important.

What's funny is the price of GTA Online items went up drastically AFTER Leslie's departure. The Housers really like that shark card money. In fact, the SP DLC was likely cancelled by the Housers because of this dispute. It wouldn't have looked good on paper if Leslie's name was all over a brand new release.

What remained of that DLC has been hastily thrown into Online for easy revenue, without having to credit anyone's work.

BlackScout

Or maybe it's not the Housers, it's Take Two pushing the Shark Card bullcrap. It's hard to tell.

Ash_735

Yeah, people in this thread are stretching now, so using a licenced engine means it's bad? Y'all know that's like 90% of games right?

I mean, sh*t, did you enjoy a Rockstar Game before 2007? They used a licenced engine, RenderWare for most and Angel Engine for the San Diego games.

Jabalous

Or maybe it's not the Housers, it's Take Two pushing the Shark Card bullcrap. It's hard to tell.

We cannot point our fingers on whose idea was it to build an Online component around grinding and microtransactions. I find it hard to believe that Sam Houser was not interested in a large multiplayer component when in 2008 he described a subscription-based MMO on a console as “the Holy Grail.”. Unless they do something different with RDR2 MP, then it wasn't Leslie's vision only.

Edited by Jabalous

Spider-Vice

We cannot point our fingers on whose idea was it to build an Online component around grinding and microtransactions. I find it hard to believe that Sam Houser was not interested in a large multiplayer component when in 2008 he described a subscription-based MMO on a console as “the Holy Grail.”. Unless they do something different with RDR2 MP, then it wasn't Leslie's vision only.

The online idea even comes from the original GTA (PC Zone Issue 83 - Dec 1999):

UnJAQ3v.jpg

They also thought of including Online in GTA III, and there's leftover Gamespy code on GTA SA for real multiplayer. GTA Online was definitely their vision for the future, Leslie or not, very likely. Now, what could be different is how it's executed.

I mean, sh*t, did you enjoy a Rockstar Game before 2007? They used a licenced engine, RenderWare for most and Angel Engine for the San Diego games.

Yeah, RAGE is hardly something started by Rockstar. You can actually see very similar file structures to the actual RAGE in games as early as Midtown Madness 2. Many formats were 100% kept till Table Tennis/RDR. Sure, it's been developed and modified to this day for games like GTA, but RAGE is not an original Rockstar creation (from scratch) indeed like many think. (and no, this doesn't mean they're cheating, they bought a company that had their own custom engine, they obviously took advantage of that, it's still their engine) Edited by Spider-Vice

feckyerlife

Rockstar is done. I'm sure the Housers will rush out one last GTA before Benz' masterpiece hits the market, then it's game over for them.

I doubt that, so many people casual and hardcore gamers know who and what Rockstar/GTA is, only die hard fan boyz know who The Benz is. Plus this new game sounds like it will be an MMO, which Rockstar rubbed a lot of diehard GTA fans the wrong with with GTAO. Besides shooters, many pure mmo games dont really sell.

BLOOD

Rockstar is done. I'm sure the Housers will rush out one last GTA before Benz' masterpiece hits the market, then it's game over for them.

I doubt that, so many people casual and hardcore gamers know who and what Rockstar/GTA is, only die hard fan boyz know who The Benz is. Plus this new game sounds like it will be an MMO, which Rockstar rubbed a lot of diehard GTA fans the wrong with with GTAO. Besides shooters, many pure mmo games dont really sell.

You beat me to it here 👍👍👍👍

Jason

Bit of a flippant thing to say, really. Regardless of your thoughts on GTA Online, it's been a massive success. GTA Online is one of the most popular games in the world and is raking in money from shark card sales that puts most games launch sales to shame. It's a giant, unequivocal success. So big that in the launch blurb for their next game they go out of it's way to mention an all new online mode. They clearly think online modes play a big part in their future.

As for the MMO genre - it's sorta on a big comeback. World of Warcraft is still hoarding up the sub fees, while games like FFXIV and Guild Wars 2 are also raking in big player counts. There's also Star Citizen on the horizon at some point in the next 2-3 years. Then you have the recent surge of MMO-lites like The Division and Destiny, both games sold very well and both have retained big player counts since release. Even further, you have the madly popular genre of open world survival games on PC right now. They might not look like MMO's at first glance - but they're 50-100 player open world games, that suits a genre called massively multiplayer online.

Make no mistake about it, online games are the most popular type of game in the world. The future, in the eyes of many big studios and top developers, is merging single player and online modes into something far more seamless. You'd be mad to think developers will try and fight it.

Edited by Jason

Titania

I'm still curious to see what Everywhere is going to be. On their website they make it sound huge, but if we look at No Man's Sky, I can't exactly rely on promises with nothing to show for it. Yes, they're guys who were part of GTA for years, but even those guys can have ambitions but not the resources anymore for their ideas now they're an indie company.

Remember that Leslie and co had a huge company behind them to support them and their ideas, and now they don't.