3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

Everywhere - by Benzies' "Build A Rocket Boy"

Killer Whale

I've heard Leslie just made his own team and studio and will be working on a game which at the moment is called "Everywhere" to rival GTA.

yeah read about it, saw a few samples of the game engine they would use and it looks promising...

hope it delivers, having 2 companies competing for the top spot of a genre is a win-win for the users.

Who knows? They might even right some wrongs Rockstar did with the game. Then again, they were part of Rockstar, so they might not do it at all.

xablau8

I've heard Leslie just made his own team and studio and will be working on a game which at the moment is called "Everywhere" to rival GTA.

About 30 people are working on the project, this game will not rival GTA.

Gridl0k

So No Man's Sky 2 then..

SHADOW OPS

About 30 people are working on the project, this game will not rival GTA.100% this. They are a startup company also. They won't have near the funds or resources Rockstar does.

@Reddagger. My bad. I was typing while you posted this.

Edited by ragedandcaged

OfficialTwiggz

^ to be fair (sorry red) BUT the team right now is around 30. Based on their website, they're doing a mass hire to add plenty of more people to the team. Also, they're located on Rockstars back door (tehe) so I wouldn't be surprised if people working at Rockstar left and applied.

Okay I'm done, back on topic people, LETS GO!

BillGates

Rockstar is done. I'm sure the Housers will rush out one last GTA before Benz' masterpiece hits the market, then it's game over for them.

Good luck competing with a team of over 900 people. Remember that the core crew is still at R*.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what The Benz has to offer with his team. I'm wondering who will back them up financially? Eei Ay?

This sounds like another case of Infinity Ward vs Activision, except that lots of the core dudes are still over @ Rockstar. I though that the two audio guys he joined with had created their own tiny audio consultant company after leaving R*. If R* was really to blame, he would've been joined by lots of other ex-R* employees.

Moreover, if you look at a game like Titanfall (which was created also by 30 ex-InfinityWard employees and more people), it is decent, but nowhere near the quality of the good old MW1 and MW2.

Edited by BillGates

capton_cutclass

If they are patient with it it might surprise lots of people.

Happy Hunter

This could be one of the only games that could give GTA serious competition - or it might be nothing like GTA, hard to say at the moment.

I hope they add an Apache in there.

Jason

I'm not the only one getting Molyneux vibes from this? It sounds ludicrously ambitious.

Yea, it's very Molyneux. No doubt The Benz and his team are massively talented, but titles that promise the world generally end up delivering something that's massive in scope but very shallow in depth.

The fact he's using Amazon Lumberyard is telling on what type of experience it will be. That engine has basically been designed for online gaming, sharing, and streaming. It was pretty clear from his interviews before GTA V's release that he was very passionate about GTA as an online experience, so I'm expecting some sort of open world multiplayer sandbox game with mission/level creators which they hinted at in the interview.

I do wonder if the reason he left (or was outed) was due to a complete and total disagreement over the future of where Rockstar was heading. The Benz was clearly putting his chips on online experiences, where as the Housers always came off as more traditionalists who valued single player and viewed MP as an extra.

Spider-Vice

RDR was never directed by Benzies and RDR2 is promising a brand new online multiplayer experience. Not sure it's only on him.

Edited by Spider-Vice

Jason

RDR was never directed by Benzies and RDR2 is promising a brand new online multiplayer experience. Not sure it's only on him.

You're not wrong. But GTA Online's rise as a money making machine was around or after The Benz left if I recall? And at the end of the day, they are a business and if they can make a few extra hundred million by putting some effort into the online mode then so be it. Though, clearly something more went on behind the scenes, given how close The Benz and the Housers were if the emails are anything to go by.

BlackScout

RDR was never directed by The Benz.

I wonder if the mess done by the Housers compromised the final product in a way or another... (Since Leslie had to spare some development time to fix the f*ck storm H's were doing).

For example: Final extra additions or ideas that didn't make out in the final game because they had no time. If they were to add anything new they'd need to delay it for some extra months... (The game was delayed anyway but lmao)

Edited by BlackScout

MCMXCII

This game seems quite interesting and it's being made by people who have a lot of experience and reputation already. This is a game I'll have to keep an eye on as it's being developed.

Also, I love The Benz's quote.

"Since we're living in simulation anyway, as proven by the documentary The Matrix..." haha

Dr WGA Labriskagni

I'm surprised that IGN hasn't covered this...

streetx1xracer

Ex-developers tried to make a gta rival before. Remember the joke of apb reloaded?

MCMXCII

Give it time as I'm sure they will eventually.

BlackScout

Worst comparison that could have ever been done. It's The Benz we're talking about here. aka main producer of GTA ever since GTA 3.

Not saying that it's impossible to flop but he's done great things...

Edited by BlackScout

RogerWho

^ Well, APB was designed by the guy who made the original GTA (as well as Lemmings) so the comparison is actually very apt.

Anyway, I'm curious which publisher are they gonna go with. Self-publishing such a monster game is unlikely. Squenix is probably the best candidate, especially after they let go of the Sleeping Dogs franchise/studio.

Dock

EVERYWHEREForums.com when

GameChristopher

They just haven't been paid enough money by Rockstar to write an article about it yet.

Jabalous

I don't see The Benz starting a new studio and developing a game based on his name to compete with a franchise as solid as GTA. I doubt that such a thought is crossing his mind, but I'm sure that he knows some people would think that way. He was talking about his 'Everywhere' vision since his earliest interviews about GTA v/Online, and this new move is nothing but a practical translation to that vision, which the Housers might not have believed in. It's an interesting theory that part of the disagreement between them was started because of different visions to how GTA and Rockstar should progress in the future.

Edited by Jabalous

Leftist Bastard

PC announcement and possible release on day 1? That's already a better game than RDR3.

Hahahahahahahahah oh you are still SO salty about RDR. You really should move on with your life pal.

Interesting that he mentions that the Housers had no interest in pushing Online as a "service". And yet, everyone blames the Housers for making GTA Online the big thing it is.

I mean, i'd be pretty upset too if I couldn't play RDR on PC with no real good reason. Practically everyone does same time releases for all platforms, why not R*?

Watain

This sounds interesting for sure. Judging by how badly the GTA franchise has gotten with V, I hope "Everywhere" will be anything like the quality Rockstar used to have before V.

Dr WGA Labriskagni

This sounds interesting for sure. Judging by how badly the GTA franchise has gotten with V, I hope "Everywhere" will be anything like the quality Rockstar used to have before V.

I just have to disagree with you there. Rockstar don't do things like everyone else, means churning the same sh*t year in year out, they are innovative with every game they make. Surely the writing for GTA V was poor, shouty and too hollywood and not a single moment o could relate with. But hands down one of the best...

meson1

This just sounds like a technical concept. But there doesn't seem to be an indication of what this game is from creative standpoint. What is the theme? What is the genre? Is it space/sci-fi? Is it set in a contemporary setting? is it a GTA clone? Is it a western? Basically, he's said almost nothing about it, so it's impossible to visualise and imagine what it is and get 'excited' about it.

Watain

I just have to disagree with you there. Rockstar don't do things like everyone else, means churning the same sh*t year in year out, they are innovative with every game they make. Surely the writing for GTA V was poor, shouty and too hollywood and not a single moment o could relate with. But hands down one of the best...

Exactly - poor. Hardly one of the best. For the record though, my comment regarded the story mode only. I enjoy Online apart from the map but I was massively disappointed with the flat, undeveloped and overall poor story and its protagonists. Too little depth and development was put into Franklin in particular, but also Michael. Trevor was okey. I would've prefered him as something of an antagonist instead, and playing as one richly developed protagonist only.

Even the, like, three antagonists (Martin, Devin and that FIB guy) were very mediocre and underdeveloped.

Edited by Watain

BUT THE BENZ

I guess that means I won't have to crowd-fund the Benz and co... Okay then

Whatever comes of this project If it is made For devices other than a PC/PS5 Or something, I'm out. Because f*ck yooouuuu, stupid Phones!

Edited by Noclue_42

Presidential

I'll be keeping an eye on this.

AUScowboy

^ Well, APB was designed by the guy who made the original GTA (as well as Lemmings) so the comparison is actually very apt.

Anyway, I'm curious which publisher are they gonna go with. Self-publishing such a monster game is unlikely. Squenix is probably the best candidate, especially after they let go of the Sleeping Dogs franchise/studio.

The leap in innovation between 2d and 3d GTA says it isn't so apt IMO..

éX-Driver

Going off what's been said about his game, I don't think I'm much interested in it, dunno about the rest of you. I'm not smitten with the idea of 'the story is what you want/everything game for everybody'. Just not my cuppa.

The Benz is a great game designer, and I'm excited to see what he comes up with. I just have no desire to play a game with no point, I quite like single player story-driven/character-driven games. They're like experiencing a novel or a film, like you're the main character. 'Pointless' games are just that, pointless. You spend a lot of time doing nothing. It's a bit like real life. And at that point, why would I spend hours making money in a game to buy something neat when I could be doing that in reality?

I dunno about the rest of you, but working 40 hours a week in a video game sounds really bloody boring.