1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Text Chat sometimes ruins the GTA Online experience

JamesTheCat

Text Chat sometimes ruins the GTA Online experience  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Should R* add the option to disable text chat in GTA Online?

So I have been playing GTA Online for 2 years and reached level 350. I noticed that 50% people use the text chat to swear, say racist things etc.

And recently on this forum I read that a war veteran has been bullied reminding his disabilities thorough text chat in GTA Online. Actually this happened during a live stream. So I think that R* should give this option in order to keep the game clean.

What dyall think, Let me know in the poll.

Edit: Here's a screen shot of the text chat I am referring to, This is a screen shot I found on the Google images.

gtamoneyheader2.jpg

Edited by JamesTheCat

Every MMO is like that.

GTA Online is no exception, especially when kids with bad parenting are around.

Yes, I would love to be able to take screenshots Online sometimes but after disabling all my hud I always still have to deal with people talking in the chat going on about the most trivial sh*t, arguing, etc.

I already disable voice, disabling the chat would be a dream come true.

What platform do you play on, James?

I'm on XB1 and it's only very rare occasions I have someone message me with something offensive (which usually just results in me replying "lol", "whatever" or "cry me a river").

My guess is that more people use mic to be offensive than text as it can't be censored by R*'s filters - and as I have all players set to mute I never hear what people feel compelled to say when they're given the gift curse of online anonymity.

I personally have never experienced anything which would reach 'problem' levels but maybe that's just me. But, that said, if others are getting subjected to worse then why not have an option I guess... though that does also mean communication would be made harder for people like me who just use text and not mics to communicate to others in-game when it's strictly necessary.

I do wish we could turn off the damn phone calls though. LJT I'm looking at you, you jackass.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 3

The less stuff on the screen the better and if the text chat is a written version of the crap that loads of people say over the mic then no way would I want that.

I'm on XB1 and it's only very rare occasions I have someone message me with something offensive (which usually just results in me replying "lol", "whatever" or "cry me a river").

My guess is that more people use mic to be offensive than text as it can't be censored by R*'s filters - and as I have all players set to mute I never hear what people feel compelled to say when they're given the gift curse of online anonymity.

I personally have never experienced anything which would reach 'problem' levels but maybe that's just me. But, that said, if others are getting subjected to worse then why not have an option I guess... though that does also mean communication would be made harder for people like me who just use text and not mics to communicate to others in-game when it's strictly necessary.

I do wish we could turn off the damn phone calls though. LJT I'm looking at you, you jackass.

PC has constant session-wide text chat, which probably encourages people to say whatever comes to their head since they know more people will see it.

• Like 1

MeatSafeMurderer

Yes. I think we should remove any means for players to communicate in every single game on every single platform ensuring that we turn a hobby that is already seen as antisocial by some into something that is definitely antisocial because some people will abuse it.

• Like 3

PC has constant session-wide text chat, which probably encourages people to say whatever comes to their head since they know more people will see it.

Ugh, then yes, definitely an option to turn that off.

Reminds me of playing Team Fortress 2... Constant clutter and garbage covering up valuable screen space.

Jokes aside, the answer is no.

Communication is a important thing in most online games, some people don't have mics, so text chat is the only alternative. They shouldn't water down the game because of a minority that doesn't know how to behave, and other minority that can't handle the heat of the internet.

And even if they decided to remove the chat because people use it to ""bully"" others, that wouldn't solve the problem because anyone can shoot a message over XBL/PSN/SC, I've had people sh*t talking to me over XBL after they left/I left a session for no reason at all, I mean your gamertag is right there in game, if the ""bullies"" really want to they'll contact you.

Point I'm trying to make is that removing features won't stop sh*tty people from being sh*tty, best thing it can be done is ignoring the pesky people because it is an useful feature of the game.

• Like 3

Non Funkable Token

Turns out that 90% of the text is the word "noob" placed everywhere.

The ability to hide it? Yeah, sure.

The ability to disable it altogether? I think that'd be kind of counter-productive if someone is trying to give you a tip or request you do something during a mission, like getting a jet, stop shooting the cops, etc.

I don't see how you can make a case that it's better for it to be mandatory. If someone doesn't want it there then they should be able to remove it and if they do want it then it's there for them. More choice is usually a good thing and it certainly is in this case.

Forcing people to put up with it because it's 'social' is a nothing argument really. Not everybody wants to be social, all the time.

@Cooper and Alverez : Yes I am aware that this text chat swearing thing is common to MMOs. I have played Assassin's Creed Multiplayer and enjoyed it so much. Because no one curses me for winning or basically joining a session. And I appreciate your input to the discussion.

@Coleco : Thank you and I appreciate your input to the topic.

I am on PC. Unlike XB and PS, PC users have direct access to the key board so they can type stuff way faster. So they just keep typing whatever they feel. I am not meaning a situation like two people meeting and become friends. And plus adding more to what you said, Eventhough the curse words are censored, Sometimes they get through and just release what they gotta say. Thanks for joining, Much appreciations. Btw That LJT thing he keeps me saying my coke factory is out of supplies and I am like "I know I own that" :)

To anyone who might have misunderstood the topic, It's about the option to disable/hide the text chat for each individual. And plus please do not turn down other's ideas saying why and how. Let's make it friendly here fellas :)

Edited by JamesTheCat

I am on PC and I would love nothing more than to disable text chat. All the constant stupidity and the random keyboard warrior gets beyond old. I hardly ever talk to anyone which im ok with since I'm not a social kinda guy. If I am in a group and its required then sure I can make sure I communicate whats going on etc. Solo play? PLEASE LET ME TURN OFF CHAT.

Edited by 4N0M4LY
  • Like 1

I'm on PS4 and I always assumed there would be an option to turn it off.

It seems completely illogical there isn't.

I love your username JTC. :)

On topic: I can see that PC players would want to disable the on screen chat.

On ps4 it's quite useful though.

For example if a friend join your session, a quick "Hi mate" is always nice.

It's good for short messages like that.

More complex messages like heist strategy or something is better via psn.

I vote yes for the option to disable it if you want. Even though I woulden't.

• Like 1

I love your username JTC. :)

On topic: I can see that PC players would want to disable the on screen chat.

On ps4 it's quite useful though.

For example if a friend join your session, a quick "Hi mate" is always nice.

It's good for short messages like that.

More complex messages like heist strategy or something is better via psn.

I vote yes for the option to disable it if you want. Even though I woulden't.

I would also agree with you JollyTheCat. Text chat between friends is acceptable. And that's not what I a bringing to the discussion. Oh... I just amazed myself, It would be really cool if we get the option in the interaction menu. So it's accessible very often and can turn it off and on whenever we want just like voice chat. Thanks that idea has been very valuable.

• Like 1

Communication is a important thing in most online games, some people don't have mics, so text chat is the only alternative. They shouldn't water down the game because of a minority that doesn't know how to behave, and other minority that can't handle the heat of the internet.

And even if they decided to remove the chat because people use it to ""bully"" others, that wouldn't solve the problem because anyone can shoot a message over XBL/PSN/SC, I've had people sh*t talking to me over XBL after they left/I left a session for no reason at all, I mean your gamertag is right there in game, if the ""bullies"" really want to they'll contact you.

Point I'm trying to make is that removing features won't stop sh*tty people from being sh*tty, best thing it can be done is ignoring the pesky people because it is an useful feature of the game.

All OP wants is the option to turn it off, just as there is an option to turn off the voice chat.

No one is talking about removing the chat all together.

CarnageRacing00

just talking about making it optional, bro, meaning there would be a toggle in the menu for the PLAYER to decide if they want to see text chat or not - not about removing text chat altogether.

As such I can't think of a single reason why anybody would vote no. The more options a game gives you as far as interface, the better.

Edited by CarnageRacing00

Yes, there should most definitely be an option to disable or hide it entirely. I play on PS4 and I too did not realise that PC players were forced to view the chat stream regardless of their game settings. We don't have this on PS4 (that I'm aware of) outside of individual PM style messages or group text PMs.

With that said, I would like the option of a flowing chat screen on PS4 instead of having to go to the PSN dashboard to send and reply to messages. However, of course, with the option to disable or hide such if I didn't want to see it or participate.

I'm not much of a talker as a whole and I simply cannot bare to listen to most of the voice chat whilst playing this game. Though I simply find it more annoying than offensive. I much prefer typing/writing and my mobile phone is often sluggish with the PSN ap, so I would definitely welcome easier ways to communicate outside of having to speak.

FrugalDangerMan

I believe there's an option to disable SMS chat in game? If not there should be.

Give it the same options as voice chat. All, Friends, Crew, Friends and Crew, No one.

I like it for communicating useful info but more often than not its stuff like:

U MAD BRO?

GIT GUD SCRUB

etc

Basically feeble minded players rubbing salt in the wound after a lucky shot. It's sad and only serves to breed more douchbaggary.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

you could always just ignore it

I dunno, when I'm at my mum in laws they watch most stuff on tv with subtitles and I'm damned if I can stop myself from reading everything despite trying to ignore it.

• Like 2

Chat doesn't ruin sh*t, the playerbase does.

• Like 3

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

I dunno, when I'm at my mum in laws they watch most stuff on tv with subtitles and I'm damned if I can stop myself from reading everything despite trying to ignore it.

Me to, unless really in the middle of something, then i just dont care

FR_Player-One

And I'm just sitting here on console wishing they would ADD a text chat...

Anyway. More options is always better than less.
Hiding all HUD elements, including the in game text chat, SHOULD be available from the beginning.

Edited by FR_Player-One

No Use For A Name

The ability to hide it? Yeah, sure.

The ability to disable it altogether? I think that'd be kind of counter-productive if someone is trying to give you a tip or request you do something during a mission, like getting a jet, stop shooting the cops, etc.

I've figured out how to hide mine.

I haven't figured out how to unhide it though. I'll get the text jingle but nothing pops up. I have to go to my phone and manually check it

This will sound like trolling, but please believe me when I don't mean it that way. Just feel it has to be said.

"Welcome to the internet."

Sarcasm aside, people are sh*t. People online can do and say things they wouldn't ever get away with if they did or said it to someone in real life. They have no sympathy, compassion and definitely no respect at all for anyone or anything. Their words and behaviour reflect their personality and I dare go so far as to say their worth. Best you can do is turn off text chat or ignore it when possible.

Really, it's the same with voice chat in this game. There's absolutely no point in having it set to "Everyone" because you already know you're not going to have any decent communication with strangers.

Even if they're not being rude, it's all just noise and crap anyway.

And again I have to ask the question, how the hell do these little trolls know about things like people's sexuality or in the example of the OP, someone's disabilities? Maybe I'm playing an entirely different game, but when I go online in GTA people can see my username and that's about it. Sometimes I use my microphone and all they could tell from that is that I'm male and have a silly accent.

There is no way for them to know where I'm from, whom I'd like to have in my bed or if my legs are or aren't working.

So how are these people finding out? Or are the victims of these verbal attacks just volunteering the information in online sessions? Seems to me it's not a great idea to be sharing such personal things in public games if you don't like hearing/reading people p*ssing all over it, and you.

Just trying to picture how it got to that. A war veteran mocked for his disability? I can't imagine a scenario where this person joins a game that ends up with people throwing insults his way about something they could never know unless they knew him personally.

Lastly, agree that disabling text chat should be possible. I'd also say that developers should start to let people know consequences of their antisocial, inhuman behaviour and ban people who spend their time trying to just put others down. If there's no place in modern society for things like racism, sexism and whatnot, then why is there a place for that online? Now, I'm no activist by any measure. I'm pretty lazy and I get the feeling most people don't want to be helped and don't exactly welcome change. But it seems to me that if we want improvement, somebody should be teaching lessons. It's clearly not coming from parents or educators now. Hit them where it hurts. On their game accounts.

If I could count how many times I called a mugger than taunted a player via text and the mugger got them I would need like 83 hands.