Max money

ClaudeSpeedrun

ClaudeSpeedrun

I did it. I finally, finally, did it.

I started wondering what the maximum amount of cash in GTA3 is around 15 years ago. I have a PS2 save game that I've been playing on and off this entire time. Tonight, I finally hit the cash cap. I've done firefighter and taxi, but most of the money was made using Vigilante.

JxKL0ZS.jpg

Then it rolled over into negative cash. I bumped into a car shortly after this picture, the cash went from -2,145,712,034 to -2,145,712,028. I earned 6 dollars, so I'm less negative

RHam0Jh.jpg

So there it is, 2,147,483,647 , (x7FFFFFFF) is the maximum, then you're in the hole. Way in the hole.

I can't believe it's over. Finally.

It's just 2^31. They used 32-bit signed integer for the number

Edited by stef_92
  • Like 1

crashoverride93

I wonder if the PC version could someway be coded to increase the maximum to prevent you from going in the hole at that point.

I wonder if the PC version could someway be coded to increase the maximum to prevent you from going in the hole at that point.

It's possible just patching the memory address with an ASI plugin/script, maybe even a CLEO plugin/script.

• Like 2

I never bothered to get that kind of money in III but it is relatively easy to do in Vice City (where I had about 2 billion in one save on Xbox). What happens if you decide to spend money from that negative balance? Does the negative number increase?

The Audiophile Thread

LG 32GN650-B | TESORO Gram XS | DeathAdder V3 Pro | Xbox Elite v2 | JBL Tune 720BT | Truthear Hexa

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | RTX 4070 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro | Fanatec CSL DD McLaren GT3 V2

I never bothered to get that kind of money in III but it is relatively easy to do in Vice City (where I had about 2 billion in one save on Xbox). What happens if you decide to spend money from that negative balance? Does the negative number increase?

The game should say that you don't have enough money. It just compares the values of your current amount and the amount you have to spend. Once your amount becomes negative any comparison would return false.
  • Like 3

Probably silent can fix this and change the variable type to long integer?

It is a long integer already - which makes $2.147.483.647 max money you can carry. Do you REALLY need more? VC and SA just cap your money to $99.999.999 or so.

Igor Bogdanoff

Do you REALLY need more?

Yes. We need more money. And resolution. And FPS. FIX physics tied to FPS.

rLDswx2.png1626894873381.gifyardies-in-pip-2022.png

Probably silent can fix this and change the variable type to long integer?

It is a long integer already - which makes $2.147.483.647 max money you can carry. Do you REALLY need more? VC and SA just cap your money to $99.999.999 or so.Personally I don't even need a 16 million dollers limit. It just seems to bother some people. But wait.. I thought that the long integer is 64 bits, not 32. What am I missing?

crashoverride93

Spacinstein do you know the address its at.

It would seem then you could set it to 64 bit perhaps right?

Edited by crashoverride93

• 7 years later...
GTA failer

This thread is 7 years old at this point but I just got the maximum money in GTA 3 so I figured I'd share what I learned. Much of what folks have written here is correct. The maximum is $2,147,483,647 (which is 1 less than 2^31). If you exceed this amount, then the money rolls over into the negatives (the least amount of money you could have is negative $2,147,483,648).

If you have a negative amount of money and you try to buy a weapon at Ammu-nation, the game will tell you that you don't have enough money. If you have a negative amount of money and then you earn money, then your balance goes up just as it should (ie your balance becomes less negative).

For example, if you have -$1,000 and you earn $250 from doing the first level of firefighter, then your new balance will be -$750.

I made a video on exactly this topic. In that video, I show getting the most amount of money possible (to the dollar) as well as the most negative amount of money possible. I also mention OP ClaudeSpeedrun and this forum thread in my video. Check it out at the link below if you're interested!

Edited by GTA failer
  • Like 1