1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Any one else think Tony Soprano influenced the Michael character?

ONP

I've been lately watching The Sopranos TV series and I have noticed this. Just from the first episode I saw some similarities. Anyone else sharing my opinion?

• Like 1

Official General

No, not really.

The only connection or influence, is the dysfunctional family and psychiatrist angle, but it didn't come off as feeling like The Sopranos to me. Besides Michael is not Italian-American, and he's not a member of the Mafia, or any kind of mob.

• Like 2

slimeball supreme

Well, no kidding he was an influence in some aspects.

The big house with the similar driveway, the therapy sessions, the family, the severe temper issues, so on.

• Like 3

Way he talks, acts, yeah, there's similarities.

Edited by Rodger Cheeto

Yes they have similarities. But I think each GTA 5 character represents the generations of the Grand Theft Auto franchise. For example Trevor represents the early GTA titles like 1 and 2 where it was all about destruction. And Michael representing titles like 3 and Vice City. Franklin represent new titles and SA,IV,TBOGT and Lost and damned.

Michael must be influenced by Tommy. When the trailer came out in 2011, I thought It was Tommy. I think the resemblance to any other characters in this world are coincidental. It's just my opinion bro :)

• Like 1

Well, no kidding he was an influence in some aspects.

The big house with the similar driveway, the therapy sessions, the family, the severe temper issues, so on.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Even the same family issues, the mother who is never on good terms with the daughter, the fat son and so on.

Tony did absolutely influence Micheal in some way but they do not have the same story.

• Like 1

Cheatz/Trickz

Possibly Tony was one influence, with regards to the family situation. Like Michael, Tony is also a man that has "won" at being a criminal. Robert De Niro in Heat is clearly an inspiration for Michael too, visually at least, and the criminal expertise.

• Like 1

I think The Sopranos may have a slight underlying influence in Michael's story. The marriage issues, the son he can't bond with the daughter he falls out with. This sort of alpha male, criminal battling with his domestic life and his "work" life. A middle-aged gangster sociopath/psychopath in his middle age I suppose similar too.

While the family dynamic is amazing in The Sopranos, it's bit sh*t in the short story of GTA V. You have 3 protagonists.. I mean, it's a bit overkill and underwhelming. The family drama is great in the Sopranos but I don't really want that in my gaming. The Sopranos has the luxury of developing the story over hour-long episodes over multiple seasons. Also, since it just makes your protag out to be a bit of a loser, a loser literally, losing his family and being held by the balls of the authorities. Then what's his redemption? What's his ending? He get's his horrible dysfunctional family back and we as a gamer are supposed to enjoy that?! lol :D

I think Michael's family should have been kidnapped by a Mexican drug cartel and had their heads cut off after f*cking with Madrazo's house That would have made a more compelling story. Our delusional protagonist comes out of retirement to raise the cash for the ransom. Michael had to reveal himself to Trevor and show he's alive because he know's he needs Trevor to pull of these heists (minimal FIB bullsh*t). The handover of cash goes wrong because the FIB find out that Michael and Trevor have been spotted together. Michael's family have their heads sawed off as a result. Michael goes in a rage. Trevor and Michael re-kindle their friendship over their mutual hatred over what the Mexican's did and the FIB for essentially triggering the killing of Michael's family. No nagging wife, no nagging kids, no yoga. Just balls to to wall GTA action.

Can we all just agree that any story with Michael's family dying would be more fun? :D

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3

Official General

While the family dynamic is amazing in The Sopranos, it's bit sh*t in the short story of GTA V. You have 3 protagonists.. I mean, it's a bit overkill and underwhelming. The family drama is great in the Sopranos but I don't really want that in my gaming. The Sopranos has the luxury of developing the story over hour-long episodes over multiple seasons. Also, since it just makes your protag out to be a bit of a loser, a loser literally, losing his family and being held by the balls of the authorities. Then what's his redemption? What's his ending? He get's his horrible dysfunctional family back and we as a gamer are supposed to enjoy that?! lol :D

You summed up in a few sentences exactly how I felt about the whole family thing with Michael in GTA V. It was a fresh, new idea included as a theme within V's narrative, not seen before in the GTA series history, and while I applaud Rockstar for trying something new, this just wasn't the kind of thing I wanted to experience in a GTA game. For me, I just don't think the general structure and character of GTA suited to such a theme as this, and V proved me correct, because I found the whole thing very underwhelming, and quickly lost interest in trying to immerse myself in it all. He's got a dysfunctional family, so what ? He visits a shrink for his family problems, ok nice little touch for variation, but again, why am I supposed to care so much or be very interested in it ? Does it really affect or influence my criminal ambitions and interests in the game ? No, not quite, it just felt like it was sloppily tacked on just for the sake of making it look cool because it shares similarities with Tony out of The Sopranos.

They were just there for silly entertainment, there at the beginning, then gone for most of the game, then they return at the end to live happily ever after, they didn't really serve much of a purpose. Amanda could have been kidnapped and tortured by a Mexican drug cartel with Michael having to save her at some point and get revenge, Jimmy could have got into trouble with some gang members in the ghettoes, a result of his efforts to 'act cool', Michael enlisting the help of Franklin, and Tracey becomes the subject an attempt by a charming pimp to turn her onto prostitution and drugs, and Michael has to intervene and try to protect her. Numerous great ideas to turn this family thing into something better, but I knew Rockstar either couldn't or wouldn't, so I wished they hadn't included it.

• Like 1