1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Could not download files from the Rockstar Games Service

6Ludo6

I've been trying all day to play gta online, it keep telling me "Could not download files from the Rockstar Games Service required to play GTA Online. Please return to Grand Theft Auto V and try again later."

I literally did everything to fix it, like rebooting my router for more than 30 mins, hard restart my console by holding the power button, pressing LB + RB on the loading screen to recalibrate.

My internet is fast,i can play online in other games. I always do my daily objectives, but because of that i won't be able to do them. How can i fix this??

Edited by 6Ludo6

HEISTS 2.0 CONFIRMED!!!

No, but in all seriousness I saw this once this morning myself. I just restarted the game and I was fine.

The servers have been acting up for the past couple of weeks. I'm guessing it's time for maintenance again.

Non stop saving failed for the last week now. Ready to sell cars, you cannot until you get SAVE SUCCESSFUL which can be 5 minutes or up to an hour in my experience.

As for this problem, I had this around a year ago. Try reinstalling the updates (DLCs) and I bet it works again!

• Like 4

Just Rockstar's wonderful server set up as always.

• Like 6

And the more content R* adds, the more broken it gets.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

This has been happening a lot lately, probably the result of them improving the game :sarcasm:

Edited by Darth Absentis

Haven't had an issue at all this past week with the crew, pretty smooth sailing with car sales too.

You're lucky. I've had cloud save failures each and every time I've played, plus unknown network error disconnects. Its gotten so bad I stopped playing and switched to something else.

• Like 3

You aren't alone on this.

Every. Single. Time I log onto GTAO, I get a similar message.

Sometimes it tells me "servers aren't available," other times, "cannot download data for Character 1 slot."

What I do to remedy it, is to quit out, altogether. Go back to single player. Log back into Online.

If I get that message, I just keep doing that, sometimes two, three, and even four times until "something" gives way and I get in.

Most often, however, within 20-45 minutes of playing, I get booted by the "lost connection" message.

It's simply a crap shoot as to whether it's going to be a night of fun, consistent online gameplay or having Trevor rage in traffic with nothing but a pistol, stuck in single player.

<sigh>

• Like 3

Sometimes it tells me "servers aren't available," other times, "cannot download data for Character 1 slot."

What I do to remedy it, is to quit out, altogether. Go back to single player. Log back into Online.

If I get that message, I just keep doing that, sometimes two, three, and even four times until "something" gives way and I get in.

Most often, however, within 20-45 minutes of playing, I get booted by the "lost connection" message.

It's simply a crap shoot as to whether it's going to be a night of fun, consistent online gameplay or having Trevor rage in traffic with nothing but a pistol, stuck in single player.

<sigh>

I've been trying since yesterday. I can't play online.

I've been playing gta online for more than 2 years and i never experienced this.

Past month or so, I get the "Can't load player slot 2 data", despite I don't have a second character.....I hit retry.

Then it loads for about a minute & comes up with the failure to retrieve data from R* servers message....I retry again.

Third time is always the charm & logs me in. Overall takes about 2 ish minutes to get in the game that way.

Then again I always start in Invite Only Sessions, so yeah.

Remember ALOT of the new DLC stuff, while much of it is downloaded, some of it is on R*'s servers.

But that's the reason why the issues are so bad on not connecting, because more & more content is now based on the R* servers.

It's not all on your consoles anymore, like the older DLC downloads were.

The systems that R* has are garbage, thus the more cars, modes, weapons, etc they hold there....the worse it'll get.

R* implemented the idea to reduce download time & space as more content roles out, but it has backfired in the worst way.

Their crappy servers having trouble transferring/keeping up with player consoles requesting more & more during log-ins.

Edited by Foreverpast

<sigh>

I've been trying since yesterday. I can't play online.

I've been playing gta online for more than 2 years and i never experienced this.

Back when the game came out it was a rampant problem trying to simply log on.

All kinds of solutions were offered, like "reset your router configurations" to "run your ethernet up your dad's pantleg and down your mom's angora sweater while you stand on one leg and sing JLo songs backwards into a car battery."

Suffice to say, none of them worked.

I hope you can get online soon, sincerely. Good luck!

Past month or so, I get the "Can't load player slot 2 data", despite I don't have a second character.....I hit retry.

Then it loads for about a minute & comes up with the failure to retrieve data from R* servers message....I retry again.

Third time is always the charm & logs me in. Overall takes about 2 ish minutes to get in the game that way.

Remember ALOT of the new DLC stuff, while much of it is downloaded, some of it is on R*'s servers.

But that's the reason why the issues are so bad on not connecting, because more & more content is now based on the R* servers.

The systems that R* has are garbage, thus the more cars, modes, weapons, etc they hold there....the worse it'll get.

R* implemented the idea to reduce download time & space as more content roles out, but it has backfired in the worst way.

Their crappy servers having trouble transferring/keeping up with player consoles requesting more & more during log-ins.

This. This is why I don't want any more stuff added on until what is already in the game is fixed/optimized. Its becoming unplayable, and the more crap R* piles on, the worse it's gonna get.

Haven't had an issue at all this past week with the crew, pretty smooth sailing with car sales too.

You're lucky. I've had cloud save failures each and every time I've played, plus unknown network error disconnects. Its gotten so bad I stopped playing and switched to something else.

If you get the save unsuccessful notification just switch a saved outfit and it'll force save yiur session. But even that hasn't happened to us this last week.

Switching outfits can sometimes force a save (if the servers aren't too far gone), but yeah - I'm not surprised some people just give up on the game.

Hopefully they improve things soon; it's been way too shaky recently.

Edited by Happy Hunter
  • Like 2

Looks like Online is going out the way it came in judging by this thread. All we need now is a blurry background and Soulwax on repeat.

• Like 2

This. This is why I don't want any more stuff added on until what is already in the game is fixed/optimized. Its becoming unplayable, and the more crap R* piles on, the worse it's gonna get.

Well that's not going to happen unless 1 of 2 things occur:

- R* goes back to making DLC full downloads, instead of partial.

Given new content is Online Only, I can't see them bothering to do that.

- R* improves their servers, so retrieval of new content when logging in is easier.

Doubt they would bother doing that, because they'd have to upgrade as more content is released.

It's just generally easier for them now to make smaller downloads (mainly the patches downloaded) & keep alot of new content on their servers.

Unfortunately because they aren't running dedicated servers for actual gameplay, the peer/peer system yet online retrieval of content is conflicting.

So it's good in the sense of we are having to download smaller DLC sizes.

However it sucks because with that, it's basically a "Good luck with your console retrieving the data during log-ins".

It's kinda like when the game first came out, you're in competition with all the other players to log in again, for new reasons/issues though.

Edited by Foreverpast

Uh huh same here. I've been playing through Fallout 4 again

They really need to go into maintenance

Well that's not going to happen unless 1 of 2 things occur:

- R* goes back to making DLC full downloads, instead of partial.

Given new content is Online Only, I can't see them bothering to do that.

- R* improves their servers, so retrieval of new content when logging in is easier.

Doubt they would bother doing that, because they'd have to upgrade as more content is released.

It's just generally easier for them now to make smaller downloads (mainly the patches downloaded) & keep alot of new content on their servers.

Unfortunately because they aren't running dedicated servers for actual gameplay, the peer/peer system yet online retrieval of content is conflicting.

So it's good in the sense of we are having to download smaller DLC sizes.

However it sucks because with that, it's basically a "Good luck with your console retrieving the data during log-ins".

It's kinda like when the game first came out, you're in competition with all the other players to log in again, for new reasons/issues though.

I'd be ok with bigger download sizes if that meant we could keep the content on our consoles instead of on their servers. It would presumably decrease server load as well and consoles wouldn't have to retrieve data as much.

I'd be ok with bigger download sizes if that meant we could keep the content on our consoles instead of on their servers. It would presumably decrease server load as well and consoles wouldn't have to retrieve data as much.

I'm not a software architecture god but the only thing that you download are things like hotfixes, tunables, background scripts, ... E.g. files that are required for playing online. DLCs and patches are only downloaded when your game is outdated and they use Sony/Microsoft/Steam/Whatever servers.

Delete your "local" gtao save file, go online and it will re-synch your data from Rockstar servers. This has worked every time when i get that message. (XB1)

• 3 years later...

Upload the moat recently saved data on your PS.

PS Button-> Start-> Upload/Download saved Data-> On system Storage Click 'Upload All'.

If that doesn't work click 'Download All' on the Online Storage instead.

It basically reverts back to the most recent pronlem free data.

14 hours ago, Aznknight said:

Upload the moat recently saved data on your PS.

PS Button-> Start-> Upload/Download saved Data-> On system Storage Click 'Upload All'.

If that doesn't work click 'Download All' on the Online Storage instead.

It basically reverts back to the most recent pronlem free data.

For best results, do not do any of this.

Seriously, what year is this?

Instead, simply understand it's a generic message, along with several others, that indicate there is a Rockstar server-side issue meaning your device cannot establish a connection.

As soon as one is available, you will get on.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with your device, it's files or any data.

Ergo, pro-tip -- JUST WAIT

Edited by Shiloh Comes

xInfected_Virus

Might be a server overload because it's happening to me a few times as well.

17 hours ago, Shiloh Comes said:

For best results, do not do any of this.

Seriously, what year is this?

Instead, simply understand it's a generic message, along with several others, that indicate there is a Rockstar server-side issue meaning your device cannot establish a connection.

As soon as one is available, you will get on.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with your device, it's files or any data.

Ergo, pro-tip -- JUST WAIT

Works for me EVERY TIME. 

But ok 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1