1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

combat roll useless.

Simply Logic

I don't even combat roll and I'm scoring better in a deathmatch than when I used to use combat roll. It just gets you killed, the only time you get a chance to kill someone when you combat roll is when you get lucky. Crouching would be better since it makes you a smaller target. I just hope they do what's right for red dead redemption 2. If you can master aiming while keeping yourself alive without even trying your luck at a combat roll then you'll be more likely to succeed. It doesn't help you avoid bullets when Free Aim - Assisted is involved.

If you combat roll AFTER your enemy, you should be able to win every single fight. Of course, this only works in Auto-aim.

Edited by WannaDJ

I combat roll myself, however I can't help but laugh when people do it during the zone pick up in Power Play, literally a sitting (rolling) duck.

• Like 1

I find it funny when players get mad at players that combat roll. It's a legitimate technique that was put in the game and does what it does for a reason. I'm not great at it but I get better everytime and it's won me the exchange more often than not.

If you combat roll AFTER your enemy, you should be able to win every single fight. Of course, this only works in Auto-aim.

Basically.

Combat rolls save my life daily in auto aim.

Edited by WanderingDrifterDoomin
  • Like 3

I cant seem to get the timing right for a combat roll after my enemies roll...

I do better when I stay up right...

the lock, should break on both sides when they combat roll

• Like 3

You have to be fast, roll just a split second after your enemy does and he won't be able to even damage you

• Like 3

Crouching would make you a sitting duck, as it would likely reduce your speed dramatically. Real life? Yeah crouching is an effect combat technique. In game it wouldn't help at all.

For auto aim, aka the majority of players, combat rolling is vey effective. I suck balls at it though.

It does useful though, my RnG friends and tryhards usually do this tactic:

Combat roll after your enemy combat roll, and quickly aim for the head. I tried it and it works. (Autoaim, of course, if you play on free aim you better off spray and pray rather than combat roll)

In AA Stealth mode and combat roll is very useful.

First of, use stealth mode while strafing, when the enemy aims for the head he has to adjust his aim to the left a bit, makes it harder for him to get headshots.

It's easier to strafe in Stealth mode when using Standard FPS2 because the run Button is now R1/RB, it's just easier/more comfortable for the hand to do it.

Roll a split second after your enemy does

1. It won't break your stealth mode

2. He won't be able to land shots on you

Never roll first, it's a death sentence if you have an enemy who knows the technique well enough.

• Like 2

I play and have played thousands of deathmatches, so combat rolling has become something of a natural reflex for me. Sure, the mechanics of how it works in game are a bit unrealistic on the surface and it is pretty much useless when fighting NPCs, but I find it almost a necessity when battling other players.

As others have stated, timing is definitely everything here. Pulling off a quicker headshot afterwards can be crucial here as well.

I usually combat roll towards cover to pop my enemies from behind a dumpster if need be. If they break lock, I freeaim to compensate, and if it's a sniper duel and they're marksman dancing with the occasional roll, I just aim downward when I don't see a muzzle flash. It's a helpful utility if used correctly.

It's damn worthless in PVE, though, and I lose my sh*t whenever I see people trying to roll out of the way of various mission NPCs and just eating it as a result.

• Like 1

Crouching would make you a sitting duck, as it would likely reduce your speed dramatically. Real life? Yeah crouching is an effect combat technique. In game it wouldn't help at all.

Crouching would be extremely useful in situations where you need to duck and take cover. I mean.. theres the sticky cover system. But thats.. sticky and you need to stick to the cover.

With crouch you can take cover.. and still move. Blocking line of sight while moving in a crouch.

Edited by .Vooodu.
  • Like 2

As a free aim player, I only use combat roll because it looks cool.

• Like 4

Smooth Longsack

Had to. Also, op be bad at gtao.

It's damn worthless in PVE, though, and I lose my sh*t whenever I see people trying to roll out of the way of various mission NPCs and just eating it as a result.

LOL. It's a conditioned response. As soon as I realize I'm taking damage, I turn into a gymnast. Doesn't matter what it is. Oncoming car. Fire. Tumbling down a hillside. I'm instinctually gonna try to roll out of harm's way.

For me it's instinctual. Hard to say when to do it.

that what annoys me, everything else comes so natural to me except this...

First of, use stealth mode while strafing, when the enemy aims for the head he has to adjust his aim to the left a bit, makes it harder for him to get headshots.

It's easier to strafe in Stealth mode when using Standard FPS2 because the run Button is now R1/RB, it's just easier/more comfortable for the hand to do it.

Never roll first, it's a death sentence if you have an enemy who knows the technique well enough.

thank you, this is like when I 1st learned to slightly aim up on auto aim for a headshot...that was a revelation on gta 4, cos no1 else did it, I felt like a God....

I play both FA and AA....

Maybe I just suck at combat-rolling, but I'm usually more effective when I anticipate where the other player's roll ends and manually aim at that spot.

If you're in auto aim it's useful for PvP - can break a lock and give me time to run into cover (or blast whoever's trying to kill me).

I wouldn't say no to having a crouch button on top of it though.

• Like 2

Had to. Also, op be bad at gtao.

I never noticed this cos I always hated this song but....

he says.. "nxt to the playstation controlla" - then she pulls out an xbox pad looool

• Like 2

This.

There is actually a technique where you can counter an individual who combat rolls after you when you so happen to roll first in trepidation. It does require a little practice but timing is critical.

For console players, applying 50% pressure on the right trigger (RT/R2) without aiming with (LT/L2) allows you to free aim, and you get to strafe faster than when you hard aim with (LT/L2).

Now, when you see a character in the middle of their rolling animation, assuming that your aim is now broken as a result, quickly let go of the left trigger and either free aim with the technique above you if you wish to land a few shots ( better cross fingers and toes if you do this) before you re-lock by simply repressing (LT/L2), or just repeatedly tap the left trigger while shooting until you find that you have locked onto the character whilst they are rolling (recommended method if it's your first time).

With timing, I find that I re-lock the most as soon as the character's upper-back/shoulder touches the floor, which is roughly half way during their rolling animation. By this time, they still canot shoot you, and if you re-lock by this time, and perfect it... expect a lot of hate messages and name calling.

Edited by A Madvillain

afriendlyreddot

Combat roll has saved my hide from rockets multiple times, and yeah just get your timing down when another players rolls and you'll be just fine. Far from useless, all the "BP Helmet/Ghost Org/Passive" kiddies use it so you better get used to it.

Anyone ever been caught up in a 'roll off'? This is where two players are too busy taking it in turns to roll that not one of them actually remembers to shoot. I got into this situation and I just knew that if I stopped they would have already stopped and would get the kill, they must have thought the same, so we just kept rolling... Just couldn't stop...

• Like 2

SmokesWithCigs

I find it funny when players get mad at players that combat roll. It's a legitimate technique that was put in the game and does what it does for a reason. I'm not great at it but I get better everytime and it's won me the exchange more often than not.

TRY going up against a modder who spams combat rolls. the main reason combat rolls don't work is because of the aimbots.

TRY going up against a modder who spams combat rolls. the main reason combat rolls don't work is because of the aimbots.

Going up against cheaters is completely different then complaining about others using a feature as intended.

Apples and bread. Not sure why you bothered to quote me for that to be honest.

• Like 3

@LL just pvp a lot with players WILLING to fight on the ground with some integrity.

• Like 2

• Like 5