2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Benny's: a scam?

JoeBoneless

No Use For A Name

I only go to Benny's because I'm building a race car garage. Otherwise, f*ck that guy.

The Bikers DLC was pretty cool. A bunch of customizable bikes with different liveries, unique wheels, etc. Now R is coming out with the exact same type of bikes, but to get access to the customization, it now costs a quarter million bucks? What a joke

• Like 1

Misanthrope Z

not a scam, as it's not obligatory, but it's a fun option to have. being able to finally do more to certain cars is great

i like Benny's a lot more now though, eversince recently finding out that some other cars get a speed buff when they're upgraded, not just the Sultan and Banshee.

• Like 1

Benny made great lowriders but the newest vehicles added to his roster are just ugly as sh*t after his treatment...

FrozenDanCicle

The only issue I take with benny is when I hand him an extra 700k for a racing adaptation and he hands me a slower car. Im not askinh for massive leaps in stats, heck, it can even remain the exact same performance wise, jusr dont make it perform worse.

It seems as if every car, save the Nero, gets worse around a track once you make it the custom version. The only reason I can think to do this on purpose is it incentivises owning both. You want the custom cause it looks cool, but you want the normal one for actual racing.

I don't complain about Benny's... It's a choice. You choose to buy the upgrade or not... Personally I see Benny more as a visual tuner than an engine/race tuner. For that reason I mostly buy both versions and decide afterwards which one is best in the stuntraces. Although I do have to admit as well, that I use none of Benny's vehicles , apart from the Sabre Custom, in stuntraces. I always end up with the same bunch (non Benny's) and I'm fine with that.

And setup for Rockstar is to make folks buy sharkcards, so the more choice people have, the more they'll spent. When you're on a timebudget for playing the game, you most likely end up buying a shark, if you want to keep up with the latest. But for those who like to play the game, you can make decent money. Rockstar gave that to its player base as well... And those that complain about being forced in public sessions to sell.. Learn how to lag yourself out, instead of complain. By doing so, I haven't lost a single collect, car or sale due to other players in months...

I don't complain about Benny's... It's a choice. You choze to buy the upgrade or not... Personally I see Benny more as a visual tuner than an engine/race tuner. For that reason I mostly buy both versions and decide afterwards which one is best in the stuntraces. Although I do have to admit none of Benny's vehicles apart from the Sabre Custom, I hardly use any of them in stuntraces. I always end up with the same bunch and that's ok.

And setup for Rockstar is to make folks buy sharkcards, so the more choice people have, the more they'll spent. When you're on a timebudget for playing the game, you most likely end up buying a shark sooner or later, if you want to keep up with the latest. But for those who like and are able to play the game for a decent amount of time, you can make good money. Rockstar gave that to its player base as well... And those that complain about being forced in public sessions to sell.. Learn how to lag yourself out, instead of complaining. By doing so, I haven't lost a single collect, car or sale due to other players in months...

Edited by Hellbendzor

To me, Benny's is one of the best adds in GTA Online. Owning cars that I can customize and make look unique is a lot of fun. Don't like the low riders though, I find them pretty silly; I much prefer the racecars. I WISH the Cunning Stunts cars had Benny's variants. Missed opportunity.

No point, considering those cars were already racecars lol

Though I think the Tyrus should've started out as a normal supercar instead of a racecar

Benny's is just one component of the game. In Benny's case it's a money sink. Scam no.

The scam is releasing content that screws you over 10,000 ways and has bled the fun out of the game and is so severely overpriced that to get going a macrotransaction to some becomes an real option. So, OP I might say you are on to something, but calling the wrong thing a scam. Scams and trolls to force you to grind six ways from Sunday and if you ever want have anything in the game its your only option other than a macrotransaction while making it completely lacking in fun. The dirty secret is unless you are hyper committed there is little fun left. It's tedium designed to make most stop, oh yes and push cash cards.

Thus, the real scam of GTA:O today is that it's not about first rate gaming content, its about content that will push a large population of players towards macrotransactions. That's the scam. Many will say it's 'optional.' They miss the point. The content is tailored to be so overwhelmingly time investing and mind numblingly dull that macrotransactions are advanced. In the past, good DLCs stood on their own as gaming experiences. Not anymore. Today, in GTA:O they only serve to push the even more brutal economic system and 'coded to fail' DLCs so they sell more cash cards.

THAT'S the scam. Because even with all that time investment - the recent DLC's many 'features' are designed to encourage failure and thus, you being broke. And we're back to macrotransactions. It's just as bad as many of the phone app games, they are not games, but instead are designed that investment in microtransactions almost are required to be able to enjoy the game. GTA:O is almost at this point. I'm surprised the old game modes (contact missions) and VIP to some extent haven't been buffed to advance this goal. Grinding contact missions still are a good steady paycheck pre-trolling from R*. Of course, we'll never see anymore contact missions, that's Benz era and R* is firmly on path any new mission type content will serve macrotransactions NOT advance the story or game. Those are very secondary considerations.

#TheBenzWouldNotApprove

Edited by zoso80
  • Like 1

To me, Benny's is one of the best adds in GTA Online. Owning cars that I can customize and make look unique is a lot of fun. Don't like the low riders though, I find them pretty silly; I much prefer the racecars. I WISH the Cunning Stunts cars had Benny's variants. Missed opportunity.

I think that's because the cunning stunts vehicles were mostly pure bred racers already. Not race cars made from street cars. If i remember correctly, most, if not all of the cunning stunts vehicles came with racing livery options, further backing my point that they are already racecars. If I was the owner of a custom car shop, that transforms cars into race cars/works of art/low riders, I'm not sure I would know what to do with a racecar to improve it. Add some modds and increase the weight of a purpose built race car? Doesn't make sence.

I believe he meant that they should have released the cunning stunts cars in their stock/street legal variants, then Benny would convert them into the race cars we have today.I'm saying that a ground up race car is different than a race car made out of a street car. The cunning stunts represent vehicles in the real world that are built from scratch as racecars. There are no street variations. Take the RE 7B for example. What is it as a street car? It's nothing. Because it is pure race car. There is no street version. It's like asking for a street version of an indy car.

I'm saying that a ground up race car is different than a race car made out of a street car. The cunning stunts represent vehicles in the real world that are built from scratch as racecars. There are no street variations. Take the RE 7B for example. What is it as a street car? It's nothing. Because it is pure race car. There is no street version. It's like asking for a street version of an indy car.

Mono F3 comes to mind

BAC_Mono_(8606487117)_b.jpg

Someone near where I work owns one. Looks uncomfortable as hell on the less-than-racetrack-smooth roads

Edited by ash-274

I think that's because the cunning stunts vehicles were mostly pure bred racers already. Not race cars made from street cars. If i remember correctly, most, if not all of the cunning stunts vehicles came with racing livery options, further backing my point that they are already racecars. If I was the owner of a custom car shop, that transforms cars into race cars/works of art/low riders, I'm not sure I would know what to do with a racecar to improve it. Add some modds and increase the weight of a purpose built race car? Doesn't make sence.

I believe he meant that they should have released the cunning stunts cars in their stock/street legal variants, then Benny would convert them into the race cars we have today.
I'm saying that a ground up race car is different than a race car made out of a street car. The cunning stunts represent vehicles in the real world that are built from scratch as racecars. There are no street variations. Take the RE 7B for example. What is it as a street car? It's nothing. Because it is pure race car. There is no street version. It's like asking for a street version of an indy car.
Mono F3 comes to mind

BAC_Mono_(8606487117)_b.jpg

Someone near where I work owns one. Looks uncomfortable as hell on the less-than-racetrack-smooth roads

This is probably a lot closer. Toyota GT One Road Car.

pjaCzd1.jpg

Also, the Omnis, Tropos, ETR, Tyrus, Trophy Truck, and Brioso all have street car versions that were/are mass produced.

Edited by Mach1bud

Benny's is just one component of the game. In Benny's case it's a money sink. Scam no.

The scam is releasing content that screws you over 10,000 ways and has bled the fun out of the game and is so severely overpriced that to get going a macrotransaction to some becomes an real option. So, OP I might say you are on to something, but calling the wrong thing a scam. Scams and trolls to force you to grind six ways from Sunday and if you ever want have anything in the game its your only option other than a macrotransaction while making it completely lacking in fun. The dirty secret is unless you are hyper committed there is little fun left. It's tedium designed to make most stop, oh yes and push cash cards.

Thus, the real scam of GTA:O today is that it's not about first rate gaming content, its about content that will push a large population of players towards macrotransactions. That's the scam. Many will say it's 'optional.' They miss the point. The content is tailored to be so overwhelmingly time investing and mind numblingly dull that macrotransactions are advanced. In the past, good DLCs stood on their own as gaming experiences. Not anymore. Today, in GTA:O they only serve to push the even more brutal economic system and 'coded to fail' DLCs so they sell more cash cards.

THAT'S the scam. Because even with all that time investment - the recent DLC's many 'features' are designed to encourage failure and thus, you being broke. And we're back to macrotransactions. It's just as bad as many of the phone app games, they are not games, but instead are designed that investment in microtransactions almost are required to be able to enjoy the game. GTA:O is almost at this point. I'm surprised the old game modes (contact missions) and VIP to some extent haven't been buffed to advance this goal. Grinding contact missions still are a good steady paycheck pre-trolling from R*. Of course, we'll never see anymore contact missions, that's Benz era and R* is firmly on path any new mission type content will serve macrotransactions NOT advance the story or game. Those are very secondary considerations.

#TheBenzWouldNotApprove

Well spoken. I might not agree with everything, but it's close to how I feel. I did notice from the last few DLCs that the cost of the DLC is increasing rapidly. At one point a DLC would cost around 15 million. Next DLC it would increase to 20ish million (to include all). Now when everything gets released it's close to 30 million. Being a hard grinder and investing quite alot of time, I have the distinct feeling I can't keep up with the rising costs. So the big question is, IF we get more DLCs like import export or not. If we do get them, I'll be able to get the next DLC in, but after that I'm down to the skin of my teeth, financially that is...So I hope the gradual price increases for the DLC's will stabilize now... TBH I can't put more hours in than I do right now... So then it's also sharkcards for me (partially that is)...

But we also need to realize Rockstar is a business that needs to make a profit, or it'll stop producing content. So I also see profit they make through these sharkcards as our ticket to further DLCs. If GTA-online stops getting updates and ceases to exist, due to lack of profit, we all lose the time we invested to get all these nice vehicles... I sincerely hope GTA-online will be growing universe, that'll get new islands to explore in the future, but that'll also offer us a way to keep the digital cars/properties that we worked so hard for... So Sharkcards in a way, might just be the necessary evil to that future... If Rockstar keeps getting revenue from these macro transitions, throws in a paid GTA-online expansion in the future, GTA-online might be something that'll stay around for quite a few more years... I sincerely hope so...

Edited by Hellbendzor

Well, he makes your ItaliGTB look faster while it is in fact quite a bit slower than the regular version. Also, he promised us (via Newswire) that the Sultan RS and the Banshee 900R could compete with the top supercars after he was done with them, and that was bullsh*t, too. But maybe he is just incompetent. ;)

Quite a bit slower? Not at all, you're spreading misinformation with statements like that.

wangsparkinglot

I like it for what it was first released for. I was so excited to take my voodoo down to bennys and have it cleaned up, same with the treatment on my buccaneers..

AS far as the supers go its an option. Dont do it if you cant afford it!!

The only real scam with Benny's is when R* half @ssed some of the early content for it.

By that I mean when people lost the expensive modifications to their cars & such.

• Like 1

Actlikeyouknow

I shall now read the definition of scam.

scam
skam/
noun
informal
noun: scam; plural noun: scams
  1. 1.
    a dishonest scheme; a fraud

Benny is in no way a scheme or fraud. He puts custom mods on cars for money. Sure, he prices them a little high, but that's it.

Edited by Actlikeyouknow

Okay let's get away from defining the word scam.

Point is that race car liveries and slightly different hoods shouldn't come at such a price, I mean how is it an 'upgrade' if you wanna pick apart a word there it is- he only makes different visual mods available, he doesn't actually upgrade a thing!

Weekendwarrior

I would say Benny is a disappointment rather than a scam.

Never been satisfied with his work except for Nero Custom

I like it for what it was first released for. I was so excited to take my voodoo down to bennys and have it cleaned up, same with the treatment on my buccaneers..

Clean Voodoo is about his only real magic

wangsparkinglot

Especially when you clean up the ones you find at Sandy Shores and Grapeseed. Outstanding

Especially when you clean up the ones you find at Sandy Shores and Grapeseed. Outstanding

Except for the fact that he makes it a "lowrider" and it literally sits taller than the rusty one even with the suspension all the way down.

• Like 1

I bought a Corquette recently and did some mod work at LSC that's expensive enough for me. I think I had 5 supers when came over from PS3 awhile back now just one remains.

Spent it on yacht, Hydra, Karuna, Insurgent, crate biz, import, etc.

Edited by derek0514

Black Terminator

Benny's is not a scam to say the least. That garage car place allows players to customize more of their vehicles to what they want. And you don't have to use it if you hate it that much.

Benny is great; especially when you were able to combine his "magic" with some Faggios and the MC clubhouse. ;)

All in all though, yes, the prices are borderline ridiculous, but eh, I quite like the lowriders. The Sultan and Banshee; I never bought either since they were both moved to the super class upon upgrading and I didn't feel as though I *had* to own them. I do love his work on the Elegy Retro Custom, but found myself highly disappointed with the Comet Retro. Since the Itali GTB looks better (in my opinion) and apparently performs better without the upgrades from Benny, I have decided not to let him touch mine.

Benny's upgrades are not generally (or perhaps at all) required within most competitive scenarios, so that's a positive thing. It's a bit like the Yacht though; expensive as f*ck, will obviously appeal to some (no matter the price tag) and will no doubt draw disdain from many others.

• Like 3

Benny is good for restoring rusted cars, like the Voodoo and Tornado (Now we need the rest.)

Also, I really enjoy the Sultan RS, I like the Banshee 900R too but it's a bit bulky imo.

Well, he makes your ItaliGTB look faster while it is in fact quite a bit slower than the regular version. Also, he promised us (via Newswire) that the Sultan RS and the Banshee 900R could compete with the top supercars after he was done with them, and that was bullsh*t, too. But maybe he is just incompetent. ;)

Quite a bit slower? Not at all, you're spreading misinformation with statements like that.

Did you test both versions and compare your lap times? Depending on the track the custom version is consistently 1 to 3 seconds slower than the regular version with all performance upgrades. So much for spreading misinformation, mate.

GTAForumsUser1

Not a scam because it is an option. It's not mandatory.

You know what the OP is getting at. By making some cars only available as an upgrade at Benny's, it's more easily seen as acceptable for them to cost more overall than if R* simply added the upgraded version to the normal website for the overall price.