Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,321 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Zello

A Female protagonist?

What is your favourite citrus fruit?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite citrus fruit?

• Lemon [img=http://i.imgur.com/0zn9fN9.jpg]
    • Lime [Like a lemon but less red]
    • Buddha's Fingers [img=http://i.imgur.com/yPwsXmS.jpg]
    • Other [img=http://i.imgur.com/rTiyhhj.jpg]

VictorVance1239

A group of bank robbing women like in the 2004 Taxi movie.

2ekjd5t.jpg

My post will be very reasonable and full of seriously good points, even if it doesn't seem like it all the time, it covers pretty much all the bases and is a bit more intelligent than the stereotypical responses or binary yes-or-no - this is a "it can work great, OR fail miserably" post:

This image of those women, to me, that you posted, is exactly what most people would hate and would not fit GTA. It's gotta be a lot more authentic than these hollywood things - yes, GTA is hollywood like in the male way, but even hollywood itself is a joke when it comes to portrayal of women. It just is a completely different philosophy than GTA and rockstar put, they hate that fake way hollywood lies to women and gets them hurt in real life.

If we have a girl, she needs to be alongside a male (bonnie and clyde) or males (like the random encounter where the girl plays her role - manipulate you to help her, while her two boys wait and do the dirty work when you follow her).

It can't be this charlies angels, feminist agenda crap - it would be like kill bill, which would basically be saints row, it's horrible. Let her be a real criminal girl like Liz on GTA IV. But remember - Liz sends Niko, Packie, and even Playboy to go do GTA things, she does not do GTA things herself... just like real life... You don't see this stuff in real life, so in a game which CANNOT take the liberties a movie can and already is inherently unauthentic (eat hot dogs to heal, sleep it off, carry 30 different guns the size of bazooka in pockets), they NEED everything lore wise to feel authentic, or else it becomes saints row crap.

GTA is nothing without the authenticity feeling - the believability of the lore, fighting against the fakeness of the "video game world" it takes place in.

Set it off girls might be better:

I7MYLAP.jpg

But that seems too fake, too.

You could only even really believe Latifa was real in that, and even her, even in her rap career, you could tell she was just the female ice cube (and ice t, after they both got rich) and was just an actor playing a musician at that point, like 2Pac or something. That;s why 2pac wasn't used to base Carl Johnson on, and he was OG Loc instead. That's why will smith was fed to the fishes, and carl was realistic though, even with all the video gamey fake things that happened (break into area 51, steal harrier from carrier ship, etc)

It has to be realistic, and hollywood is not a good place to find realistic.

Snoop from the wire is a real one, in and out of movies, she was a true thug. And a psychotic individual who battled and conquered many demons in her life. But she is brought up often enough and exclusively enough that it shows you just how fake it would feel in a game based on stereotypical statistics. She is a "One in a billion" woman, whereas Niko, Carl, Tommy, these guys are a dime a dozen, in a world of millions of dollars - it works because they are commonplace. This is why it's so hard to sell a woman.

BUT - let that woman be part of a crew of 3 (like the junkies near lester's house where the girl lures in a FEMALE role to the men who commit MALE ROLE acts once you follow her there) or more characters (think weapon wheel character switching instead of just the three), THEN it can work,

Not only could it work perfectly like that, but it would be revolutionary for the series. It would bring a new type of realistic, authentic gameplay.

Just as much as Trevor is the worst of the worst hillbilly meth head/dealer, just as Michael is a totally believable scumbag traitor "successfully retired" criminal, just as Frank and CJ are believable hood homies from each of their respective eras in LA timelime, a realistic woman AND "gta-worthy" protagonist would have to be a prostitute, a crack whore -

If you want a girl for GTA, she would need to be like Tonya or Liz, it can't be some Lara Croft, Cameron Diaz, it can't be this high-dollar dressing fake hollywood feminist sh*t, it just can't. It would undermine the series, and the majority of the fans.

It can't be that fake stuff, and it's the HD era, or rather "III-era characters = just movie characters to the new gen guys" said Houser - which is why it can't be Catalina style either, cause she was just a movie character to these realistic characters like Mike, Niko, Frank, and Trevor.

While the girls in my image are attractive they were also very skilled and charismatic characters that I think very much could work for Grand Theft Auto. However I agree with the Set it off type as well. Which is pretty much what Elizabetha Torres and Catalina was sort of like. Kendll Johnson too sort of without the gun fighting parts.

TheHumanIsland

I agree except that Catalina is sort of the Michelle Rodriguez Hollywood style too, where Torres in iv was spot on for me, I knew a girl like her, the reselmblance and characteristics were uncanny. So I believed her.

.Smaher.

If this happens, Rockstar better not succumb to edgy, badass female lead syndrome.

Edited by .Smaher.

TheHumanIsland

Amen. They can't ever suck Hollywood... wood. Because the only thing that really makes them cult is the authenticity!

That said, if they can make a character that's authentic to the people who have lived this life and gotten out of it like Michael did like me oh my god they will make so much money.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

If this happens, Rockstar better not succumb to edgy, badass female lead syndrome.

Implying the male protags are not stereotypical in some way ?

They are btw.

Also, as far i can see many people in this thread do not believe a female character would be good because females would be to weak....at least that is what the argument seems to be....and i say it is a bad argument at that.

Niobium

As a playable character, only as part of a multiple protagonist game and she'd have to be physically weaker than most of the men she fights. In a fist fight against a male, she should lose most of the time.

this is absurd. how would that even be fun? just make her strong as any male protagonist.

Edited by Niobium

evd

As a playable character, only as part of a multiple protagonist game and she'd have to be physically weaker than most of the men she fights. In a fist fight against a male, she should lose most of the time.

this is absurd. how would that even be fun? just make her strong as any male protagonist.

F U C K NO!

when will we stop wanting this game be silly, childish and easy?

you can always learn some CQC, but dont make a woman as strong as a man, its ridiculous and biologically innacurate.

The only way she could be strong, is to make her big, like Torres. how would you deal with it?

TedBundyPonyTail
I personally wouldn't want a female protag, simply because the female gangster characters in the past have irritated me, don't get me wrong characters like Catalina & Liz Torres were good characters & convincing but I found the whole badass female gangster element just got on my nerves.

It was the same for Cassandra in Mafia III again a convincing character, but f*ck me the character annoyed me, a whole game with a character like that would make me pull my hair out.

What, I will say is Catalina whilst a VERY annoying bitch was nevertheless a solid antagonist, so perhaps a female antagonist would work better?

Niobium

F U C K NO!

S P A C E D OUT LETTERS!

when will we stop wanting this game be silly, childish and easy?

wtf? how does playing as a woman who has the exact same stats as a man make the game easy. also it is neither silly nor childish. what is silly and childish however is people getting so worked up at the idea of a female protagonist.

the idea that a woman has to lose a fist fight to a man most of the time because of "muh realism" is laughable, and would be a frustrating GTA game to play. i hope none of you are game designers.

you can always learn some CQC, but dont make a woman as strong as a man, its ridiculous and biologically innacurate.

"it's not realistic" blah blah blah i've heard this a million times before. never mind the fact that people who make this argument always conveniently forget that you can store 100 guns in your underwear. talk about realism.

The only way she could be strong, is to make her big, like Torres. how would you deal with it?

first of all, elisabeta was not really big... second, i would not mind playing as her. how do you like that?

so how do i deal with it? by not giving a f*ck about the protagonist's gender. just because you can't deal with a female protagonist because of whatever reason (perhaps sexism or insecurities about women being physically stronger than you) does not mean that i too overreact when someone suggests that it does not hurt to have more diversity in characters.

Edited by Niobium

Fuzzknuckles

I think an important point to remember is that there's actually quite a few people who want a female protag. Probably less than there are that don't, but still, there's an audience for it. Rockstar and other devs have a responsibility to their audience to provide for all of them at some point, rather than just providing to sad little boys who feel uncomfortable playing as a woman. Sad, sad little boys who dismiss the notion immediately because it makes them feel weird to play outside of their own identity.

Pink Pineapple

Niobium,

So you want a woman, but she can't have the characteristics and limitations of a real woman because that just wouldn't be fun. She has to be some unrealistic super woman who can beat up men and she also has to be involved in the types of criminal activities mostly carried out by men. She has to be an anomaly in both her physical abilities and her behavior.

Basically, you're admitting that an actual real woman would not be a good protagonist for a GTA game.

TedBundyPonyTail

I think an important point to remember is that there's actually quite a few people who want a female protag. Probably less than there are that don't, but still, there's an audience for it. Rockstar and other devs have a responsibility to their audience to provide for all of them at some point, rather than just providing to sad little boys who feel uncomfortable playing as a woman. Sad, sad little boys who dismiss the notion immediately because it makes them feel weird to play outside of their own identity.

Rockstar has zero responsibility to their audience to create a type of character their creative team will create the main characters they like & create the narratives they would like to create they're under no obligation to provide a certain audience with a female character. also, there's a bevy of reasons why one might not want a female protagonist you labelling people with a viewpoint diametrically opposed to yours as sad little boys makes you sound petty & petulant.

RedDagger

So you want a woman, but she can't have the characteristics and limitations of a real woman because that just wouldn't be fun. She has to be some unrealistic super woman who can beat up men and she also has to be involved in the types of criminal activities mostly carried out by men. She has to be an anomaly in both her physical abilities and her behavior.

As opposed to the real manly men who easily do what happens in GTA lmao

This is going round in circles. By and large, video games, especially action-adventure video games, are not realistic. Saying that something can't happen because it's not 100% realistic doesn't make any sense because the game isn't realistic.

It tries to be realistic, yes, it's more realistic than other games, yes, but it's still massively unrealistic.

No one cares about all the other video games where you play a women and do unrealistic things, because they don't care when any character does unrealistic things, because they're video games.

It's a complete and utter non-issue.

Niobium

Niobium,

women CAN beat up men you fool. there is nothing unrealistic about this.

even if a female protagonist being unrealistic was true, again, why do you care about female protagonists being unrealistic when you don't give two sh*ts about men being able to take 50 bullets before they die? the male protagonists are already unrealistic super men. fu*kin' hypocrites the bunch of you.

you know, before i did not really care if rockstar made a female GTA protagonist or not. but now i want to, just to piss off you hypocrites.

Basically, you're admitting that an actual real woman would not be a good protagonist for a GTA game.

oh piss off. an "actual real woman" CAN hit people and steal cars, what part of this do you not understand? Edited by Niobium

dyspoid

I have mixed feelings about this, to be honest.

I understand the point that many are making in regards to the fact that realism isn't exactly currently achieved in GTA titles to date - but it's a little more complicated than that. Being able to survive bullet after bullet, being thrown out of vehicles and the like are more akin to aids or crutches that make the video game enjoyable. However, playing as a female who is capable of surviving a physical altercation with a criminal or gang member is a more significant threat to our suspension of disbelief. This is not to do with gender - it would feel equally awkward if we were playing as regular guys. I am a guy, and a pretty solid one at that, but I would stand no chance going toe to toe with a hardened criminal.

Sure, there may be some women who are capable of this - but would they really look the way they would have to in order for the game to sell.

Despite this - it could work, depending on Rockstars ability to write and design a strong, interesting and formidable female character. Unfortunately, they don't have many fictional women to base such a character around.

My idea of a woman that may work is Elizabeta from IV, or dear old Catalina. Of course, I am not suggested that these characters are actually used, but I can appreciate how similar women may actually provide compatible personalities, reasonable physical strength and, most importantly, stories and histories doused in intrigue.

Just think about potential storylines... A Latino female is beaten and bashed by her gang member boyfriend until she reacts with violence herself. Killing him, and taking over his turf and business, we would be set free into a world where different threats, challenges and dilemmas are presented.

LincolnClay

Before I share my two cents about this topic, I'll address the "women are not as strong as men" cliche.

Just...no. I get what you're saying, that (most) females aren't as "big" and, uh..."built" as (again, most) men are, but strength really has nothing to do with that. Take the GTA Online female protagonist for example. Just as fast, deadly and strong as the male protagonist is. Though, that's just because R* couldn't be bothered to add a gym/working out to the game (amirite? :))

Anyways, I really want at least one other female protagonist besides the optional GTAO protagonist. Hell, they did it back in GTA 1, back in the 2D Universe. Or, they could have character customisation, where you pick a gender and stuff like that. You can experience the story as a male or a female, your choice. Different dialogue and things like that to keep it interesting.

Gato Bakura

Thank you for creating this post!

I'm enjoying reading all of your individual thoughts about a Female Protagonist. I think that she has many "perks" that a Male Protagonist does not have.

She can be very complex:

* Mysterious

* Hard-to-predict

* Manipulative

* Ruthless

* Dedicated

* Nimble

* Beautiful

* Energetic

* Survivor

* Wise

* Clever

* Powerful

* Tough

* Classy

* Thoughtful

* Tender

* Intelligent

* Professional

* Sexy

* Genuine

* Humoris

* Empowered

* Righteous

* Decent

* Illusive

I think a Female protagonist is an avenue that has great potential for this franchise. In my opinion masculine Male characters are quickly becoming over saturated.

I don't expect the very next game such as GTA VI to have a Female as the main character but some day I would like to see one.

You rock dude!

You made a really great point, male characters are becoming saturated, i'll enjoy to see an GTA w/ a female character, Rockstar don't have to stop with the males characters they just have to innovate the kinda of characters we play, would be very f*cking funny to play with a female character that is funny, clever, manipulative, powerful and professional is a perfil of a character that can enter in the history!

Edited by Gato Bakura

.Smaher.

Implying the male protags are not stereotypical in some way ?

They are btw.

Also, as far i can see many people in this thread do not believe a female character would be good because females would be to weak....at least that is what the argument seems to be....and i say it is a bad argument at that.

Stereotypical to the male culture, or the character's culture in general? Because, if I were you, I'd elaborate on how the male "stereotypes" in GTA equal to the amount of female stereotypes in tons of media.

It's not a bad argument, since it's been done to death before. The worst case scenario is either a weak female character, or an exaggerated female character, only due to her sex. It doesn't work.

Edited by .Smaher.

Pink Pineapple

As opposed to the real manly men who easily do what happens in GTA lmao

This is going round in circles. By and large, video games, especially action-adventure video games, are not realistic. Saying that something can't happen because it's not 100% realistic doesn't make any sense because the game isn't realistic.

It tries to be realistic, yes, it's more realistic than other games, yes, but it's still massively unrealistic.

No one cares about all the other video games where you play a women and do unrealistic things, because they don't care when any character does unrealistic things, because they're video games.

It's a complete and utter non-issue.

I've asked others this question and no one was willing to give an honest answer, so now I'm asking you - What are your thoughts about having the vast majority of characters you fight against female?

Tell us if that would be a good idea or a bad idea for a GTA game and explain why.

women CAN beat up men you fool. there is nothing unrealistic about this.

even if a female protagonist being unrealistic was true, again, why do you care about female protagonists being unrealistic when you don't give two sh*ts about men being able to take 50 bullets before they die? the male protagonists are already unrealistic super men. fu*kin' hypocrites the bunch of you.

Generally, women can't beat up men. Having a woman beating up a bunch of men would just make the game completely silly looking. Your version of a female protagonist would need to have all of the unrealistic characteristics of a male protagonist plus even more unrealistic attributes. What's to gain by having a less believable character?

I still find it hilarious that you want a female protagonist, but not one who would be very believable as an actual woman. :lol:

universetwisters

I've asked others this question and no one was willing to give an honest answer, so now I'm asking you - What are your thoughts about having the vast majority of characters you fight against female?

Tell us if that would be a good idea or a bad idea for a GTA game and explain why.

Changing the entire gender of a criminal organization has literally nothing to do with one criminal who happens to be a female.

We've given you answers, they just weren't the answers you wanted.

RedDagger

There wouldn't be much reason to have a majority women. Higher numbers? Cool, sure, why not, this seems like that dumb "equal rights equal lefts" shtick but whatever.

Generally, women can't beat up men. Having a woman beating up a bunch of men would just make the game completely silly looking.

Except in practice no one cares. See: all the video games with female protagonists beating up/killing a bunch of men/aliens/whatever (incl GTAO but that's just one example in case it doesn't count for some reason).

A female protagonist would be the kind of thing sites and commenters would froth about just to stir up controversy then when the game comes out people would ignore it.

~Tiger~

Generally, women can't beat up men. Having a woman beating up a bunch of men would just make the game completely silly looking.

Your assertion that 'generally, women can't beat up men' is ridiculous and demonstrates a naive and absurd assumption that the world, the real criminal world is somehow represented by the video games you choose to play.

Majestic81

It's a cool idea, but I doubt R* will do it. I wonder who's going to take American Alpha's role as the misogynyst against the idea.

I'm against the idea and i'm not a misogynist, buddy. :p

--------

Dont have a female protagonist in GTA, just don't, GTA is not the right place for a woman lead role. And just because I dont want a woman protagonist in GTA doesn't mean I go around hitting women and I hate them and all that bullsh*t. I just understand that GTA is made mostly for guys, its very similar to movies like Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather and it always had that vibe like it was inspired by movies like that. Now imagine if those movies had a female lead role instead of a male, that would be utter sh*t.

There will be issues in GTA if we have a woman lead role,the devs are gonna have to keep in mind that she could get her ass kicked by 90% percent of men if they want to, unless she's some butch MMA female fighter type of character, and in that case, even a strong athletic male thats bigger than her with no unarmed combat training would ragdoll the f*ck out of her. And you would have to model the cutscenes and all the game's narrative basically around that fact that she is weak as sh*t.

So what should they do? Should they have this woman character always be surrounded by male bodyguards for her own protection? How will the narrative play out? You also have a lot of misogynistic people in the crime world, so a woman being in charge of whatever is just so ridiculous man. How do you think the Mafia treats women? Or streets gangs, or drug cartels? Because this is the type of groups that GTA focuses on. Do you think they're okay with a woman being in charge? or that they respect women? Hint: they don't.

Women in the crime world are exploited and used, and when it comes to violence they ain't sh*t. Men will always get the upper hand in the criminal world. Having a strong badass woman concept is cool and all but you either do it, in a completely fairytale setting, or in a military setting, like she could be a soldier or something along those lines (where she has been trained for combat and is armed to the teeth, so this way physical power doesn't matter and of course, she is working with other soldiers). In other words, do it in a way that fits, dont do it just for the sake of doing it.

Also im trying to be civil, but reading some of the posts here.. Man some of you guys need a goddamn reality check. Thank god GTA is being made by people that go outside from time to time and seem to know how the real world works. And this is very good because this means that we're likely not going to see a female protagonist in GTA anytime soon.

Edited by Majestic81

CharliesHead

Generally, women can't beat up men. Having a woman beating up a bunch of men would just make the game completely silly looking. Your version of a female protagonist would need to have all of the unrealistic characteristics of a male protagonist plus even more unrealistic attributes. What's to gain by having a less believable character?

First off, using realism as an argument is weak especially after GTA V where the protagonists basically each have super powers.

Second, with enough training anyone can beat up anyone. There are even martial arts where being smaller actually gives you the advantage.

Third, I don't know if you played any GTA game, but other than the tutorial and a few scripted moments, there's generally not a lot of "beating up" happening. You mostly kill people by firearms, explosives, running them over, or by a melee weapon like a knife.

.Smaher.

I still find it hilarious that you want a female protagonist, but not one who would be very believable as an actual woman. :lol:

As if the actual male characters are believable, to begin with. GTA is known for having either unrealistic, or exaggerated characters to an extent. GTA is about criminals who do ridiculous sh*t. You're acting as if most people who play GTA point out that the protagonist is "believable as an actual man". It doesn't matter, as long as it's entertaining, and not pandering. And like I said, they're all criminals. This can easily justify a woman beating up a man, even if that's not a complete impossibility.

And no, having female antagonists is fine. But having MOST of them be female makes the intention obvious and forced. That's not believable, if that's what you were looking for.

Pink Pineapple

You've intentionally avoided answering the question about 4 times now.

There wouldn't be much reason to have a majority women.

...and another person dodges the question!

Your assertion that 'generally, women can't beat up men' is ridiculous

No, it's a fact.

Also im trying to be civil, but reading some of the posts here.. Man some of you guys need a goddamn reality check. Thank god GTA is being made by people that go outside from time to time and seem to know how the real world works.

They're either delusional or they don't care if GTA becomes some goofy Saints Row type game.

universetwisters

You've intentionally avoided answering the question about 4 times now.

And you keep avoiding the point we're all making as to what making entire gangs of females has to do with making one protagonist a female. So could you please explain it again because I don't ever remember you ever explaining what the correlation was other than using it as a segway to make your "I hate women in GTA" excuse sound somewhat realistic.

They're either delusional or they don't care if GTA becomes some goofy Saints Row type game.[/size]

So you don't see the problem with GTA 5 & online already having goofy Saints Row-type stuff, but a woman being a protagonist is suddenly so problematic to where you have to complain about it online?

RedDagger

...and another person dodges the question!

To put it simply, I wouldn't care, does that work?

They're either delusional or they don't care if GTA becomes some goofy Saints Row type game.

oh hey let me quote the bit that you also ignored :^)

Except in practice no one cares. See: all the video games with female protagonists beating up/killing a bunch of men/aliens/whatever (incl GTAO but that's just one example in case it doesn't count for some reason).

A female protagonist would be the kind of thing sites and commenters would froth about just to stir up controversy then when the game comes out people would ignore it.

Pink Pineapple

universetwisters,

I've already told you, if you're not going to actually answer my question, stop replying to it.

To put it simply, I wouldn't care, does that work?

Yeah, that works. You're okay with GTA going in sort of a goofy direction. There's nothing wrong with you being okay with that, but that's not what I want for the series.

(Ambient)

So, riding a TRON bike or driving a F&F 6 ramp car is more realistic than playing a female protagonist? Dude, were you frozen in the 1950s and thawed in the 2010s or what?