4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

OpenIV Team presents Liberty City in GTA V

GooD-NTS

MrGTAmodsgerman

@GooD-NTS

DoS your team also work on a Map Editor like we know from the good old San Andreas days? MED 1.5? It hard to find a house model name in the V map without something like this.

Edited by MrGTAmodsgerman
  • Like 2

TheHumanIsland

The first taste was great, but I gotta request you guys do another, perhaps bigger screenshot dump? Just for the sake of enjoyment?

They can even be the same areas and different angles, like the RDR2 reveal trailer was made?

Thanks if you can give us some more stuff to look at! Keep up the work, it's very good!

• Like 2

@GooD-NTS

DoS your team also work on a Map Editor like we know from the good old San Andreas days? MED 1.5? It hard to find a house model name in the V map without something like this.

+1 this. This would make GTA V mapmakers live much more easier. Isnt it possible to make all the roads, buildings etc available in the actual 3d editor? I mean we can place some objects like ramps, so maybe its written in a config or script what object is spawnable, then buildings, roads etc could be added into the script

• Like 1

MrGTAmodsgerman

@GooD-NTS

+1 this. This would make GTA V mapmakers live much more easier. Isnt it possible to make all the roads, buildings etc available in the actual 3d editor? I mean we can place some objects like ramps, so maybe its written in a config or script what object is spawnable, then buildings, roads etc could be added into the script

Nah much better than the stupid scripting stuff. I talk about a real Map Editor like MED. That ignore "object can not be spawned" stuff and is able to save and load IPL files. Only one person started this for GTA IV too late but soo beta! We need that back what we loved in San Andreas! More easier, much faster and more efficent and less bugged!

No more "Go to this location to load the map" no more "30 FPS with NativeUI" nomore this! We need the real modding back combinded with the new possiblities of GTA V's RAGE Engine! DLC Map loading and so on. The OpenIV team make all this kind of efficent stuff possible that we never had in older GTA 's. Mods folder? About 7 years too late for GTA San Andreas! DLC Maps? Only in V! Why not having the old stuff back?

The first taste was great, but I gotta request you guys do another, perhaps bigger screenshot dump? Just for the sake of enjoyment?

You may not expect new screenshots or anything sooner than new OpenIV 2.9 release.

There is nothing new we can show right now. So, please be patient.

Nah much better than the stupid scripting stuff. I talk about a real Map Editor like MED. That ignore "object can not be spawned" stuff and is able to save and load IPL files. Only one person started this for GTA IV too late but soo beta! We need that back what we loved in San Andreas! More easier, much faster and more efficent and less bugged!

No more "Go to this location to load the map" no more "30 FPS with NativeUI" nomore this! We need the real modding back combinded with the new possiblities of GTA V's RAGE Engine! DLC Map loading and so on. The OpenIV team make all this kind of efficent stuff possible that we never had in older GTA 's. Mods folder? About 7 years too late for GTA San Andreas! DLC Maps? Only in V! Why not having the old stuff back?

You can't have the "old way" map editor for GTA V because of many reasons.

For example, collisions. Since GTA IV map collisions are not actually "connected" to map models and and vice versa. This is mean when you move building it will not move it collision. And when you move collision, you will move entire part of map not just the one building.

Just look at YBN/WBN files and you will see what I mean.

Edited by GooD-NTS
  • Like 7

You can't have the "old way" map editor for GTA V because of many reasons. For example, collisions. Since GTA IV map collisions are not actually "connected" to map models and and vice versa. This is mean when you move building it will not move it collision. And when you move collision, you will move entire part of map not just the one building.

ok, do you have any plans or alternatives that OpenIV team will build into the modtool for mapping? maybe the same way you add liberty city? or any mapping tutorial to share later?

Edited by sgtsev3n

Why would you need alternatives? 3ds Max offers almost everything for mapping.

• Like 3

Eventually the tools will arrive to modify all map formats, then if someone wants to modify the map it's up to them to learn for themselves how the GTA5s map system works and how to use that knowledge and the exporting tools to add new maps or remove the old map, etc. There will not be a magical map editor that does all the work for you like older GTA's :p if someone wants to mod the map then they will have to at least learn how the game loads the map and then go from there.

Edited by Frank.s

MrGTAmodsgerman

Why would you need alternatives? 3ds Max offers almost everything for mapping.

Have you ever worked with MED? You can fly through a rendered GTA SA Map and edit everything you see.

You can't edit 3d models with MED, only object placement (and it have some nasty bugs)

Still, being able to render the map outside the game is nice. Could indeed be a cool feature for OpenIV.

• Like 2

MrGTAmodsgerman

You can't edit 3d models with MED, only object placement (and it have some nasty bugs)

Still, being able to render the map outside the game is nice. Could indeed be a cool feature for OpenIV.

I am not talking about editing 3D models. I was talking about mapping! Where do you read that?

True there are benefits to having the map rendered in 3d to help adding objects. I don't usually use map editors for anything more than a bug testing tool to make sure the map is loading correctly if the game refuses to load but i can see the appeal.

A way i used to use to edit IV's map with 3dsmax while retaining the "map editor" feel (with LC rendered in the 3d view so you can know exactly where you place the new objects) is to import the collision meshes of the static map (wbn for GTAIV, which the location is stored in the mesh so when you import the collision it appears in its correct location) into 3dsmax. Then that will show you where the map is and you can place things exactly where you want them in LC. Import some 3d models of objects that you want to place into 3dsmax, (make sure they have the correct model name in 3dsmax to match the file name because exporting relies on that being the same as the wdr/wft file name) then export a wpl (IV equivalent to ipl) and you can make the game load your new wpl and tada: you can now use 3dsmax as a psuedo-map editor because you can now see the original map in 3dsmax (albeit untextured cos its a collision model)

This is presumably a technique that will work on GTA5, assuming collision meshes are importable to 3dsmax and exportable to a placement format (5's equivalent to wpl).

(if this post sounds disjointed its cos i started writing the first half then did some crap in my house, then came back to my pc 15 mins later and finished the rest)

Edited by Frank.s
  • Like 2

True there are benefits to having the map rendered in 3d to help adding objects. I don't usually use map editors for anything more than a bug testing tool to make sure the map is loading correctly if the game refuses to load but i can see the appeal.

A way i used to use to edit IV's map with 3dsmax while retaining the "map editor" feel (with LC rendered in the 3d view so you can know exactly where you place the new objects) is to import the collision meshes of the static map (wbn for GTAIV, which the location is stored in the mesh so when you import the collision it appears in its correct location) into 3dsmax. Then that will show you where the map is and you can place things exactly where you want them in LC. Import some 3d models of objects that you want to place into 3dsmax, (make sure they have the correct model name in 3dsmax to match the file name because exporting relies on that being the same as the wdr/wft file name) then export a wpl (IV equivalent to ipl) and you can make the game load your new wpl and tada: you can now use 3dsmax as a psuedo-map editor because you can now see the original map in 3dsmax (albeit untextured cos its a collision model)

This is presumably a technique that will work on GTA5, assuming collision meshes are importable to 3dsmax and exportable to a placement format (5's equivalent to wpl).

(if this post sounds disjointed its cos i started writing the first half then did some crap in my house, then came back to my pc 15 mins later and finished the rest)

sounds nice, this is maybe the way the OpenIV team goes with LC to V. There is just one problem: The price. Due to the price, 3ds max is not available to everyone who wants to mod the game, only if the person is willing to go the "one and only way" to get it for free, you know what i mean...

Huh? You can get it for free if you're using student version ( depending on how long is your degree/diploma)

• Like 3

TheHumanIsland

still no new media? boring project. will just be a map I can already play with better cars. f this, done. boring, will not return except for to see stupid authors cry.

still no new media? boring project. will just be a map I can already play with better cars. f this, done. boring, will not return except for to see stupid authors cry.

DEzsn.gif

• Like 12

Yeah guys, as someone who's worked on various projects I can tell you that nothing motivates me more than random people doing drive by sh*tposting demands!

RoscoeHussein

Another question... would there be trash particles around certain parts in liberty city? Like empty bottles and can and stuff?

• Like 2

Stop it, Get Some Help

Be patient, they're on Valve's schedule

What? Half-Life 3 Confirmed?

Hans-Hermann Hoppe

Stop it, Get Some Help

Be patient, they're on Valve's schedule

What? Half-Life 3 Confirmed?

What I was trying to get at was: We know it's coming, and it'll be great. People can't wait (Which is understandable), but the more you demand it the more you expect from it

But OpenIV team are actually getting work done and showing progress. The guys at Valve just spend their days playing internal tech demos while rolling their desks around the snack bar.

Edited by Deadly Target

Be patient, man~

It's a big project.

At least show some respect to OpenIV team, if you can not provide any help.

Your words really hurt people who read it.

• Like 2

I'm sure I'm missing something that explains this somewhere, but if Liberty City is going to be in the South-East what will happen if you play "Prologue" or "Bury the Hatchet"? When North Yankton loads with this mod in effect, is LC going to clip into the landscape? Might be a bit weird. Unless missions can't be played with the mod in effect.

I'm sure I'm missing something that explains this somewhere, but if Liberty City is going to be in the South-East what will happen if you play "Prologue" or "Bury the Hatchet"? When North Yankton loads with this mod in effect, is LC going to clip into the landscape? Might be a bit weird. Unless missions can't be played with the mod in effect.

LC is placed underneath North Yankton IIRC so there wont be any issues.

dockgtaf.gif

rollschuh2282

FqVbA0G.png

edit:yeah page 17

Edited by rollschuh2282

MrGTAmodsgerman

You can't have the "old way" map editor for GTA V because of many reasons.

For example, collisions. Since GTA IV map collisions are not actually "connected" to map models and and vice versa. This is mean when you move building it will not move it collision. And when you move collision, you will move entire part of map not just the one building.

Lets see: :panic:

https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/codewalker-gtav-interactive-3d-map

6ec836-CW4.png