1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Merryweather Air Shark Attack Option Against Jet Griefers?

fw3

Merryweather Air Shark Attack  

180 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would you be to call in an Air Shark Attack on a jet griefer?

• Extremely likely
    • Somewhat likely
    • Not likely
  2. 2. What would a reasonable cost be for an Air Shark Attack in a Free Roam lobby?

• $20,000
    • $40,000
    • $80,000
    • Other
  3. 3. How effective would an Air Shark Attack option be in deterring jet griefers from griefing?

• Extremely effective, knowing their griefing session would end abruptly.
    • Somewhat effective, knowing it's expensive and not everyone would call in.
    • Not effective at all. Griefers grief, that's what they do. They'll just get another jet, a tank, or other vehicle.

You fired six homing rockets at that toolbag in the Jet who's been griefing everyone in the lobby, but none of them hit.

Admittedly, the person is actually really good with a Jet and has taken out multiple players, cargo, special transports, etc.

But, man, no matter what anyone does, they get leveled.

You tried sniping, straight-up RPGs, and even the Minigun to take this jerk out, but nothing works.

Too bad there's no "Mercenaries" type service to go after people in the air.
Air Strike is one of the most useless services and Mercs only deal with ground players. The Backup Helicopter is a great idea, but Jet griefers shut that down, as quick as they come.

But wait –

What if Rockstar introduced something like a Merryweather Air Shark Attack option, allowing players to quickly and efficiently deal with Jet griefers by calling in for a lethal Jet backup to deal with any air griefers in the area?

The price might be steep, but this for-hire Air Shark jet would come in, with no warning, and obliterate any aircraft with weapons capabilities, including Lazers, Hydras, Savages, and Buzzards.

There would be a significant cool down time for calling another and you wouldn't have to specify a player, but rather just call it in and watch the skies clear. Perhaps a warning to each player to be aware of a "Shark Attack" on the way.

Would this be something players might be interested in? I, personally, would love this option just to reduce the toolbaggery of so many griefers I've seen since day one of online play.

Just curious and no, this is not an actual service option – it's just for fun speculation and thinking-outside the proverbial box.

Whattaya think? Cheers! :)

vJulNs95aU-1IhJqqpkybw_0_0.jpg

Legal disclaimer: The only people who are allowed to have opinions on this are people who have experienced it.

Edited by fw3

This is a great idea and I would love to see something like this in the game. However, I think I would prefer the air shark attack to target one player. But then again, paying a good amount of money to watch all the jets fall out of the sky would really be entertaining...

• Like 2

take out griefer.

no such thing as a griefer in GTA

You think there aren't griefers because you are one yourself.

OT: I don't think that's a very good solution. Being able to just pay to kill any aircraft in the area seems a bit extreme especially since you included helis, it would be the HL all over again, helis suffering because of jets being OP.

I'd prefer jets just be unable to call off cops and have the cops take ACTUAL action against them. Seriously, cops go f*cking insane at someone dinging their car, why aren't they trying to stop f*cking military grade aircraft destroying the city.

There would be a significant cool down time for calling another a

Also this, you'd need a major cooldown on jets too, because they can literally parachute out and land on a second hydra without touching the ground.

Edited by Mr_Zombly
  • Like 11

I had a very open mind until I saw the part about helicopters being included. Yes I know - I go on and on about them - but I just can't endorse something that's going to cripple them even more, not when they're already so weak.

People already have so many easy ways to take me down - being able to just make a phone call and kill me from the other side of the map seems way off to me. Maybe if it sent an AI Buzzard or Savage or something (only against helicopters of course)? I mean, sending a jet after a jet is fine - a jet after my already crippled and non-snow ball-resistant chopper is too much.

After the horrors of the homing launcher, I don't want to see the rights of my aircraft pushed aside just to combat jets - especially if (like the homing launcher) it fails its job anyway.

If it wasn't for helicopters:

I'd make it fairly cheap. About 10k.

How smart it would be is tricky. If it's like a heist jet, then they'd be easy for player-controlled jets to kill. The Godly-Zancudo jets would be too much though. Somewhere in between.

A pretty lengthy cool down would be needed.

I have to admit though, I'm not sure I could go with this idea. I mean, unarmed aircraft wouldn't have a chance, and if it was an AI jet, attack helicopters wouldn't either.

The Wandering Hunter

i'm a jet griefer and if spam it on defenceless ground targets, also is probably find a way to counter it (likely involving hiding behind something in vtol)

or you could just lag yourself out of the session to do your crates, stop making things harder

• Like 2

mysteriousamg

Nope id rather have a free aim railgun from off single player.

• Like 2

I had a very open mind until I saw the part about helicopters being included. Yes I know - I go on and on about them - but I just can't endorse something that's going to cripple them even more, not when they're already so weak.

People already have so many easy ways to take me down - being able to just make a phone call and kill me from the other side of the map seems way off to me. Maybe if it sent an AI Buzzard or Savage or something (only against helicopters of course)? I mean, sending a jet after a jet is fine - a jet after my already crippled and non-snow ball-resistant chopper is too much.

After the horrors of the homing launcher, I don't want to see the rights of my aircraft pushed aside just to combat jets - especially if (like the homing launcher) it fails its job anyway.

If it wasn't for helicopters:

I'd make it fairly cheap. About 10k.

How smart it would be is tricky. If it's like a heist jet, then they'd be easy for player-controlled jets to kill. The Godly-Zancudo jets would be too much though. Somewhere in between.

A pretty lengthy cool down would be needed.

I have to admit though, I'm not sure I could go with this idea. I mean, unarmed aircraft wouldn't have a chance, and if it was an AI jet, attack helicopters wouldn't either.

Good point. It would be a good thing if it just targeted lazers and hydras. It could work like calling mercenaries. If they don't kill the target they would refund your money.

aaronBLUEeyes

It shouldn't target organizational players, crew or friends unless specified.

Additionally, I think $20k is a bit steep maybe $12-15k instead?

Shadowfennekin

It should be cheaper than 20 k, like 10 k or even 5. Keep in mind lower levels/poorer players need this too. No sense going broke because of immature man children.

• Like 2

Yesterday, someone called mercenaries on me while I was in a jet, which resulted in them taking a Valkyrie to try and take me down. They shot me and made it smoke. I wasn't dng anything to bad in it, I was mainly defending my associate.

31c29a33b22fc203e8f5855c30c31399f7ea410d

That said, getting back ON topic. This has been suggested before OP. I think it'd be a nice balancing feature to add to the game. Aerial mercinaries may not be effective in downing a jet, but may clog them up and keep them looking over their shoulder. The feature is already in the game as sorts as part of one of the Heist set ups, where you snag the Hyrda and 3 squadrons beam down on you from Zancudo.

I'm actually surprised R* never added an air mercinaries feature. Make it really pricey $25 - 50k, but then again, jet griefing goes towards R*'s goal with the game... especially in terms of Biker and CEO product. It's about encouraging players laying out the expense to lose money due to incentivised trolling.

So, R* will likely never do it. I sure do feel sorry for people who get picked on by jet trolls and would really like to see them have another option other than the weaksauce Homing Launcher. It's strange on second thought that the Hydra and Lazer have never really been buffed but other OP vehicles have been compromised out the gate (Savage), buffed later (Rhino, Buzzard), released with limitations to thwart trolling (Ruiner 2000) and completely kept out of online or severely limited (Duke O'Death, Railgun). Strange that the Lazer and Hydra continue to not get buffed. I don't care honestly, but just noticing the patterns.

Cheers.

Edited by zoso80

If they used the same AI system that they use for NPCs in jets during missions or at the base, it would likely be a complete waste of money. Any jet griefer that can dodge a homing missile or 6 will easily be able to take out an AI jet attack.

Just get some practice using the jets in game. I recommend becoming familiar with the Lazer and its superiority over the Hydra. Most griefers these days just use Hydras since they can be bought and spawned at any helipad and they don't have to run to the base to get it. But the Lazer is far superior in its turning ability and dogfighting prowess.

Would we see the jet icon coming at you like Mercs currently? That would just force them out of that 1 jet and at a cost of $5k+ compared to $200 for a new jet, the point for the defender?

Only a cool down would help to ease jet using. Not entirely but would offer few minutes of peace or a sky with 1 jet domination until the next cool down ends.

Bonnie_MacFarlane

Rockstar should nerf the jets so it can only attack other jets. But I really like the air shark idea as described.

• Like 2

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

Talking about dead beaten horses....is it spring 2014 again ?

The whole idea would be bad even if it didn't include helicopters being even more f*cked, because it still would cost a lot and it would either have a pretty insane cooldown, while requesting jets does not, or it would be so expensive any rational being would still rather go into passive mode, wait for someone else do do it, or just leave session(again, the concept "rationality" might not be something most of this player base can comprehend, but still...)

And after that, like mentioned, who can guaranty that jet pilots will not be able to dodge those npc's ?

and even if not, here is something nobody yet mentioned....said jet pilot could always jump out, parachute, order a new hydra once the first one hits the ground, get killed or kill himself, and then just go into passive and jump into a new jet and start the whole thing all over again.(current ground npc's kinda work like this, let yourself be killed or kill yourself, they are gone after respawn and you are barely bothered while the other person just wasted money on it....i always do it like this)

edit: same for the idea of a millitary level....an even worse idea since for that to work the jet pilot has to first probably get a 6th star, which would be hard to get, and if not, then they still could call off cops and besides that, it still would ruin the fact that some people use "any" aircraft because they do not want to deal with those overpowered cops all the time.

Cops are overpowered enough already, i doubt few people wishing for that 6th star wouldn't regret it if it was ever implemented.

again, the only proper fix is to NERF the jet, stop thinking like rockstar....if this would go trough this would just be yet an other money sink because rockstar is incompetent and only cares about cash cards.

The whole idea is bad and if you think its not you should either feel bad or explain me how this, in any way, would be a proper solution since i just do not see how it is.

Edited by Darth Absentis

What about a inevitably sixt-star ?

The more powerfull vehichle you use (to kill other people/npc), the easier (?) you get it.

Call off the cops would only work for 5 or less stars.

Appropiate action would be taken:

If you are in a buzzard griefing people for some time (in HL-less lobbies it is possible), npc buzzards will come after you...

If you are 'just' shooting every plane and helicopter out of the sky with your (stupid) HL, tanks, or possibly insurgents will keep coming after you...

If you are in a jet, jets will keep coming after you (till you die)...

If you are in a tank... etc...

The savage has paper-armour, so obtaining a sixt-star in a savage would be a lot harder than in a buzzard or hydra/lazer..

For example, killing just a couple of people in a jet would already trigger it, but when killing people with a revolver (just an example) you would need 100 + kills (again, just an example)

• Like 3

I'd prefer jets just be unable to call off cops and have the cops take ACTUAL action against them. Seriously, cops go f*cking insane at someone dinging their car, why aren't they trying to stop f*cking military grade aircraft destroying the city.

That is all what it would take. After you have 3 stars in a jet they send one military jet after you. With 4 there are 2 chasing you....

The jet is so op because the games punishment for killing others is completely missing.

• Like 3

The Wandering Hunter

Rockstar should nerf the jets so it can only attack other jets. But I really like the air shark idea as described.

hahahahahahaha

lol, i think cars should only work if everyone nearby uses the same one

Well, first off, to all the replies stating, "this has been said before" or "this is beating a dead horse topic," I searched but found nothing on the subject. At least, not in the way I was presenting it. And nothing in the lines of a poll asking the forum specific questions regarding the concept.

Second, there are obviously no boundaries on a speculative brainstorm, just ideas passed around and molded into a well-formed conceptual model. I mean, it's not like the idea would ever be adopted by Rockstar, anyway.

Lastly, yes – it's easy to say "get a Hydra, get gud" or "just change sessions" or "use an RPG" but for many players, including myself, when your busy or occupied doing tasks in the game, it's simply an irritating inconvenience to have to stop everything to deal with a Jet Griefer, in any capacity.

Having a simple option, as we do with Mercs, Air Strike, and even Muggers, would be just that – an option. I'd most definitely use it and pay $20,000 without thinking twice.

However, there's a ton of great points here:
@Foo592, I think you're right. The idea to target a single player does sound more appealing. I'd like that, as well.
@Mr_Zombly, congrats on your forum award! Again, I agree that perhaps it's overkill to decimate every aircraft. Targeting one player might be the best way to do it.
@Giantsgiants, the idea would be a "no chance for you" attack, kind of like the phantom Zancudo jets that never stop... ever.

@Happy Hunter, what can I say? You make excellent points and I would re-propose the idea to exclude helicopters, as they're easy enough to take out, typically.

, if forcing players to "hide behind something" is a productive counter, then why not just go Passive? I'm not here to entertain some 10 yr old.

, I don't agree it's a "bad idea," as it's simply "an idea." Customizing it to suit a working need would be in order. The idea of a griefer ejecting, going Passive, then getting another jet and starting all over again would be moot if the Air Shark Attack jet came up as a large red triangle blip (like Mercs), at the last possible second so the griefer sees it but has no time to react, obliterating the griefer before there's a chance to eject. Sure, there would have to be parameters tightened around it, but again, it the foundation of a concept, not a final thought. Rejecting it is closing the door, but retooling it keeps the discussion going, which I'm all for. Cheers!

That is all what it would take. After you have 3 stars in a jet they send one military jet after you. With 4 there are 2 chasing you....
The jet is so op because the games punishment for killing others is completely missing.

@feiaschdada, I agree and I like the idea of stars = response. However, it's easy to fly up into the stratosphere and linger for a few minutes until the wanted level rescinds and the griefer can go back to business.

What I really like is when you try to steal a Jet from Zancudo, if your timing is off, the Rhino tanks come out. They do not screw around and I've been shot before I've even gotten the Lazer off the ground. It's an impressive show of force that be welcomed if thwarted upon Jet griefers the same way.

For those who remember GTAIII, when you hit maximum wanted levels, they sent in the tanks. I loved getting a city street full of tanks and just battling it out from a building. Hours of fun!

Anyhow, I appreciate all the feedback. Love the ideas and apologies if it is a "dead horse" topic. I thought it was worth exploring, for fun's sake. Cheers! :)

hqdefault.jpg

As a frequent jet pilot, i support this idea but also support the points raised by Hunter.

Merryweather ace should call the griefer, saying something like "nothing personal, buddy", spawn behind him and mow him down...heh.

Memetic jokes aside, i think the aerial support should act as a effective distraction that challenges the griefer/jet pilot - that offers the player who is currently in the middle of nowhere to either bring the griefer down or get away, while the jet pilot can either fail at multitasking or be proud at proving his skills against both opponents, like the ground PvPers against Merryweather pacification service AND the opposing player.

• Like 2

SkylineGTRFreak

Having 5 starts in a jet should just toggle AI units that come after you. BUT not the Zancudo 360° noscope jets. It would already be enough to have 2 jets or so harassing the player. No "real" threat, but enough to distract the player from constantly picking on players. A good pilot would still be able to kill other players, but wouldn't have such an easy time doing so with he threat of getting a lucky AI shot up his ass. It's the same in a Buzzard with Police Mavericks. They actually don't really do much, but if you neglect them too much you'll find yourself on the ground rather sooner than later.

• Like 3

This is a great idea. I f*cking despise jet kids. There shouldn't be a warning though, they could just land their jet and hide until the air shark goes away.

• Like 3

Hmmm...It seems really good in theory, but I'm pretty sure a really good jet pilot can take out an npc jet....

Plus if they have a hydra, they can call another one in instantly and oh...look at that. 20k (Or whatever price the service was) down the drain. Plus a lengthy cooldown for another npc jet.

And like Happy Hunter said above, the helicopters are way too weak at the moment....We don't need npc jets taking out the already crippled choppers.

I do like the idea of having a backup jet to combat the Hydra griefers. Or anything for that matter.

In my opinion though, I think buffing the helicopters first is a better option at the moment. Maybe then will we be able to combat the Hydra griefers.

Or what about a swarm of buzzards going after the Jet? That'd be a neat concept. The buzzards would overwhelm the jet with mercs on the side with assault rifles, and maybe lock on missiles? (I dunno if that'd be too strong....) But then again...Copters are rather weak right now...

Regardless, I do love this idea a lot. Hopefully Rockstar will do something like this.

• Like 2