Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (86,222 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Rockstar Vienna

SNOW in Red Dead Redemption 2

Rockstar Vienna

Rockstar's environment artists have always done a great job imo. Every open world title is full with details and every area (desert, mountain, beach, city...) just "feels right". But what about snow in their games? I remember playing San Andreas in 2004. I really enjoyed the "Saint Mark's Bistro" mission where you fly to Liberty City during winter. Or Tall Trees and Chochinay in Red Dead Redemption 6 years later. Or the latest, North Yankton in GTA V. But over the last 5+ years other games like Mafia II (2010) or Assassin's Creed III (2012) did a better job when it comes to snowy landscapes imo. Sure, you could say that R* never really tried to create a big snowy open world area (so far) but i always thought that they could do a better job than Ubisoft or other developers. Down below is a little comparison between a few big open world titles.

GTA V (Rockstar, 2013)

Red Dead Redemption 2:

31833326806_ff8cf06391_c.jpg

31833326986_dde29afca1_c.jpg

But with the reveal trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 i think it's safe to say that snow will cover a big part of the map this time. Even more so if the leaked map with "The Grizzlies" area turns out to be the real deal. The mountain ranges in the back look massive. Rockstar will probably use them as a world barrier but i guess most of this terrain can be fully explored. What do you guys think? Maybe Rockstar will also implement some track reader side missions (tracking down wanted people or wild animals). Changing seasons would be awesome of course, but i highly doubt that this will happen. Personally I can't wait to ride up there with my horse during night time, looking for some bears or just listening to the ambient sound while it's snowing.

Just a few thoughts about snow in Red Dead Redemption 2... Happy Christmas everyone!

éX-Driver

Rockstar's definition of snow is 'white paint on the ground' and 'replace fog/rain texture with snowflakes'. And if they're feeling particularly adventurous, add some visible breath texture. Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation. They haven't done it with 3D rain (which are far easier to process, relatively speaking) they won't do it with snow.

Beez

Maybe eX-Driver. GTAV was made for last gen consoles and is 3 years old. I suspect the snow will be better in R2D2. It would be neat if there were some areas of deep snow like in AC3.

Sunrise Driver

Rockstar's definition of snow is 'white paint on the ground' and 'replace fog/rain texture with snowflakes'. And if they're feeling particularly adventurous, add some visible breath texture. Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation. They haven't done it with 3D rain (which are far easier to process, relatively speaking) they won't do it with snow.

I dunno. For a PS2 RenderWare/Gamebryo game, snow was done well in Bully.

Maybe R* will give us "Happy NY" RDR3 screen with snow on 31 December.

wagszilla

I'd be more interested in snow in a GTA game but snow is very limiting.

You're going to need different animations, additional layers on your physics system, etc. all for the end result of making gameplay more tedious.

Njale

You're going to need different animations, additional layers on your physics system, etc. all for the end result of making gameplay more tedious.

Gta 5 has animations for walking trough deep snow, but they are only used for like 30 minutes of gameplay

Fuzzknuckles

Don't expect any deformation or realistic snowfall and accumulation.

Honest question, what game has ever actually done this? Same question for rain. I've played pretty much every open world game there is and I can't think of a single game within or even outside of that genre (and I'm including multiple snow-boarding games in that) that has ever had realistic accumulation of snow or rain. It's either snowing or it's not, and the most you ever see is tyre or foot prints in the snow.

Femme Fatale

I'd love to see snow, if Bully and GTAO can do it, then why not RDR2?

Rockstar Vienna

Gta 5 has animations for walking trough deep snow, but they are only used for like 30 minutes of gameplay

This made me think of the "

" in GTA V. Would perfectly work for deep snow too.

éX-Driver

Honest question, what game has ever actually done this? Same question for rain. I've played pretty much every open world game there is and I can't think of a single game within or even outside of that genre (and I'm including multiple snow-boarding games in that) that has ever had realistic accumulation of snow or rain. It's either snowing or it's not, and the most you ever see is tyre or foot prints in the snow. For rain, it's been done in racing simulators for years. Real time puddle accumulation, and dynamic drying lines. Of course, that's not an open world title. But it proves it's possible with current technology to replicate it.

There's also realtime deformable and accumulating mud and dirt in many even Indie games (Spin Tyres comes to mind) where it's fully possible to dig into the ground and get your 4x4 completely stuck. (Snow could simply be a reskin of that) And those are again Indie games with a hundredth the budget and manpower of Rockstar games.

Ubisoft just released Steep which has deformable snow, though it isn't accumulative.

Edited by éX-Driver

ARTHUR.

The trailer really gave us a glance at the range of environments and I believe R* will really focus on this.

I'd love to see the character reacting to depths of snow and how gun fights will play out there, maybe you're more open to slipping/ falling over.

Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby

saintsrow

RDR2 needs a section of the story line with a mountain man.

Jeremiah Johnson

GTA3Rockstar

Maybe eX-Driver. GTAV was made for last gen consoles and is 3 years old. I suspect the snow will be better in R2D2. It would be neat if there were some areas of deep snow like in AC3.

Yea, they need to make it superb for the Scorpio.

Pastry

This made me think of the "

" in GTA V. Would perfectly work for deep snow too.

It's already used when walking through heavy snow in North Yankton.

Fuzzknuckles

Honest question, what game has ever actually done this? Same question for rain. I've played pretty much every open world game there is and I can't think of a single game within or even outside of that genre (and I'm including multiple snow-boarding games in that) that has ever had realistic accumulation of snow or rain. It's either snowing or it's not, and the most you ever see is tyre or foot prints in the snow.
For rain, it's been done in racing simulators for years. Real time puddle accumulation, and dynamic drying lines. Of course, that's not an open world title. But it proves it's possible with current technology to replicate it.

There's also realtime deformable and accumulating mud and dirt in many even Indie games (Spin Tyres comes to mind) where it's fully possible to dig into the ground and get your 4x4 completely stuck. (Snow could simply be a reskin of that) And those are again Indie games with a hundredth the budget and manpower of Rockstar games.

Ubisoft just released Steep which has deformable snow, though it isn't accumulative.

So the answer to my question, delivered in an incredibly roundabout way is actually "still none"?

TheHumanIsland

RDR2 needs a section of the story line with a mountain man.

Jeremiah Johnson

And man in the wilderness as well as its remake the revenant :^:

Edited by TheHumanIsland

saintsrow

[snip]

So the answer to my question, delivered in an incredibly roundabout way is actually "still none"?

This is why the experts get the big bucks.

StJimmy

No offense to the Australian, but as a Canadian I can verify the snow in NY in GTA V is pretty f*cking dead on. Probably the best I've seen in a video game

GameChristopher

No offense to the Australian, but as a Canadian I can verify the snow in NY in GTA V is pretty f*cking dead on. Probably the best I've seen in a video game

Burn.

I think the GTAV snow is quite good. You can see tire tracks, footprints, breath, piles, flakes, and throw snowballs. What more do you want with a game that also has to process newspapers flapping across the street in the breeze?