Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,438 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Richard Power Colt

Blade Runner 2049

Leftist Bastard

hype is real my dudes, 97 percent on RT

Mister Pink

Just seen a big billboard poster of this yesterday. So surreal seeing a Blade Runner billboard sign. Not something I would have ever expected.

I'm going to see it on Thursday. Haven't been this excited for a film in the cinema in a long time and you know it's going to a great big-screen experience.

Edited by Mister Pink

deadx23

Im seeing it tonight :D im getting so baked :lol:

Kippers

Just got back from seeing it and hugely enjoyed it. Loved it, even. It looked and sounded beautiful and I liked the pacing and the lack of cutting in places. It allowed you time to really absorb everything and take in the world. And because of that there are scenes in there that will stick with me. Visually there's just a lot to take in and the acting was great from everyone. It actually felt like Harrison Ford cared about this performance. They actually managed to do it all justice.

There would be a couple of small asterisks in here, but spoiler-y, and they didn't take away from how I felt about it. Interesting in hearing some other people's opinions in here.

Edited by Kippers

Leftist Bastard

Just got back from seeing it and hugely enjoyed it. Loved it, even. It looked and sounded beautiful and I liked the pacing and the lack of cutting in places. It allowed you time to really absorb everything and take in the world. And because of that there are scenes in there that will stick with me. Visually there's just a lot to take in and the acting was great from everyone. It actually felt like Harrison Ford cared about this performance. They actually managed to do it all justice.

There would be a couple of small asterisks in here, but spoiler-y, and they didn't take away from how I felt about it. Interesting in hearing some other people's opinions in here.

Very interesting observation about the lack of cutting - the first movie was similar. Shots would go on several seconds longer for no real reason but to let you absorb the world in and that helped make it so mch more real.

Richard Power Colt

I love those long shots. Really gets you sucked into a movie. I just got back from seeing it and I definitely would recommend people to go see it at the theater. It's a beautiful film.

Some thoughts about the ending below. Not really revealing anything specific about what happens, but more so just how I felt about it. Put them in spoiler tags just in case:

It did kinda leave me with a weird feeling afterwards. I'm not sure how satisfied I was with how it ended. Not saying they should have tied all loose ends, it leaves some things ambiguous on purpose like the original did. But idk it just felt a bit like there could have been something more(despite the fact that it was almost a 3 hour film). Maybe I was just so immersed that I didn't want it to end. Actually I kinda wanna watch it again to enjoy its atmosphere and also to get a better grasp of the story.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Mister Pink

Just back from watching it. It's a great film. It's all ready been said but the style of it very much keeps in line with the original. The music was phenomenal, every frame was a painting. Amazing use of colour, light and shadows. And the story is clever. It didn't sell out. It's definitely not a cheap Hollywood cash-in. It's the real deal.

Story detail and spoilers..

Yes there's a few questions I had after that got me thinking. First of all, I was slow to realize the daughter implanted the memory in K so he will go find the father. But then we wondered. How did she know who to pick? My guess was that she may have known the contract of memory implants were for LAPD/Blade Runners so that was her best bet. On an analysis video they hypothesize that maybe she put the memory implant in a whole line of replicants and Officer K being who he is, made contact.

Also, the flower above the grave. It was fresh, so did the big farmer guy deliberately leave the flower there when he saw the car arrive? Did he secretly want the remains to be found?

Do you think Officer K surive at the end?

And Dekker is a replicant? Because how can he survive in the radioactive Las Vegas? Only a replicant could survive those levels of radiation.

Edited by Mister Pink

RARusk

Just back from watching it. It's a great film. It's all ready been said but the style of it very much keeps in line with the original. The music was phenomenal, every frame was a painting. Amazing use of colour, light and shadows. And the story is clever. It didn't sell out. It's definitely not a cheap Hollywood cash-in. It's the real deal.

Yes there's a few questions I had after that got me thinking. First of all, I was slow to realize the daughter implanted the memory in K so he will go find the father. But then we wondered. How did she know who to pick? My guess was that she may have known the contract of memory implants were for LAPD/Blade Runners so that was her best bet. On an analysis video they hypothesize that maybe she put the memory implant in a whole line of replicants and Officer K being who he is, made contact.

Also, the flower above the grave. It was fresh, so did the big farmer guy deliberately leave the flower there when he saw the car arrive? Did he secretly want the remains to be found?

And Dekker is a replicant? Because how can he survive in the radioactive Las Vegas? Only a replicant could survive those levels of radiation.

I believe that K died - the music hints at this. And I don't believe that Deckard is a Replicant. The radiation levels in Las Vegas were nominal (according to the scan) and the dog and bees wouldn't be there if they were high.

Mister Pink

I believe that K died - the music hints at this. And I don't believe that Deckard is a Replicant. The radiation levels in Las Vegas were nominal (according to the scan) and the dog and bees wouldn't be there if they were high.

Ah yes, good points!

Don't remember the music at the end. But yeah, it looked pretty bad. Also I think the snow had some symbolism because he was really in the snow, experiencing it and the daughter, the best memory maker comments on "isn't it beautiful?" and we can kind of think K's last moments were him witnessing pure beauty.

Edited by Mister Pink

RARusk

Ah yes, good points!

Don't remember the music at the end. But yeah, it looked pretty bad. Also I think the snow had some symbolism because he was really in the snow, experiencing it and the daughter, the best memory maker comments on "isn't it beautiful?" and we can kind of think K's last moments were him witnessing pure beauty.

The music when K dies is Tears in Rain - straight off the original BR soundtrack and is the one that plays when Batty died. Perfect in my opinion.

Richard Power Colt

Apparently it's not doing very well in the box office :(

Such a shame, we need more movies like this.

deadx23

*Spoiler alert*

I believe Dekker is a replicant, Neander Wallace (Jared Leto's Character) confirm it imo when he kidnapped him he told him something like you were created for ~ I can't remember exactly what he said but also the reason why they want his daughter so badly because she is an offspring of an replicant

Edited by deadx23

Mister Pink

I believe Dekker is a replicant, Neander Wallace (Jared Leto's Character) confirm it imo when he kidnapped him he told him something like you were created for ~ I can't remember exactly what he said but also the reason why they want his daughter so badly because she is an offspring of an replicant

Yes, I remember that part. I think he also said something like, "did you think it was a coincidence you were chosen for this case" or something like that.

The director has also said he loves mysteries and that the question is more interesting than the answer. I'm sure he definitely teases that he could be a replicant. But I don't think he wants any finality on the matter. It's best left a mystery.

The more I think about this film, the more I think it's brilliant. Even though at the time I wasn't getting that thrilling feeling I got from watching Terminator 2 in the cinema. Those films aren't comparable, I'm purely comparing the cinematic experience. But as a film, the Blade Runner world is fascinating. My only gripe is that I don't think we get to see enough of it. I mean I would have loved more, on the ground cinematography, more peoples faces like the in the original when Dekker goes to the noodle stand.

If anyone is thinking about going to see this, definitely do especially if you are looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.

RARusk

*Spoiler alert*

I believe that Deckard is human and that Wallace was trying to f*ck with him - this is especially apparent when the Rachael clone arrives.

Indi

There will never be a fully conclusive answer to whether Deckard is a replicant or not.

If you want to take Ridley's view then he's a replicant. If you want to take Philip K. Dick's view he's a human. If you feel "The Final Cut" is the most full version of Blade Runner then he's a replicant.

It will never be answered. 2049 made this intentionally ambiguous and the fact that so many versions of the original have been released with conflicting scenes and answers.

Ridley I believe wanted Deckard to be a replicant but the studio meddled with sh*t and he didn't get his way. One of the writers also felt that the mystery is more alluring than the answer and he challenged Ridley on that.

Ford played Deckard as a human when he was acting in the original. Whether Harrison changed his mind now is another thing.

Personally I kind of want to side with Ridley since it's his vision, but 2049 didn't exactly spell it out in big letters either so...

...yeah, I don't take any view apart from "it's ambiguous."

Also, 2049 is a great f*cking film. Not better than the original and I don't think it intended to be better than the original either. Good sh*t! Sucks big time that it's semi-bombing too; shame, was never going to be an easy sell.

This film will have the same fate as the original: cult classic status.

Edited by Indi

Azazel

As far as I recall, the creepy old lady with one eye, said to K - after they "picked him up" - something along the lines of "Oh, you thought it was YOU? We all thought it was us." indicating, at least to me, that Decker's daughter planted the memory in a lot of replicants, hoping one of them would act on it in a fashion that led her to her father. Which it did eventually.

Leftist Bastard

K is human.

Brilliant movie in every respect.

deadx23

K is human.

Brilliant movie in every respect.

He ran through a concrete wall lol

I'll have to go watch it again I really liked it :)

Leftist Bastard

That doesn't mean he can't be the miracle child. I think the heart of the movie is it doesn't really matter if he's a real boy or a replicant because he proves his humanity through his actions - but I think the girl was ultimately misdirection and K died thinking he's a replicant

Edited by Leftist Bastard

Indi

What do people think about this anyway?

Coin

Just got back from watching it. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Mister Pink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w

Yeah, I think Ridley Scott loves the idea of the Deckard being a replicant even if Harrison Ford dismisses the idea. And I think Denis Villenueve, like I mentioned earlier, is in love the the mystery of it. The question is better than the answer.

I'm inclined to agree with Villenueve that it's best left unknown. The beauty is the complex nature of Deckard questioning himself.

Blade Runner gives me the same chills that Terminator gave me about what dilemmas and future conundrums humanity may have to face in the future. Or maybe that we wont face these exact questions but the films make it a plausible or believable potential issue: mans relationship with technology.

However, I think Ridley Scott could have strung us a long a bit more. I mean there will always be deniers and people that will refuse to believe Deckard is a Replicant but Scott could have pushed the myth a bit more.

Scott is emphatic about it in this interview. He makes it very clear. Blade Runner 2049 could not be made if Deckard wasn't a replicant. "It's essential in the present film that he's a replicant."

Don't watch this video if you haven't seen the films.

Edited by Mister Pink

Leftist Bastard

Deckard being a replicant makes it a more interesting film. The perspective that's presented as the human perspective comes off as the most robotic while the perspective that's meant to be robotic comes off as the most human. The lines are blurred.

Indi

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w

Yeah, I think Ridley Scott loves the idea of the Deckard being a replicant even if Harrison Ford dismisses the idea. And I think Denis Villenueve, like I mentioned earlier, is in love the the mystery of it. The question is better than the answer.

I'm inclined to agree with Villenueve that it's best left unknown. The beauty is the complex nature of Deckard questioning himself.

Blade Runner gives me the same chills that Terminator gave me about what dilemmas and future conundrums humanity may have to face in the future. Or maybe that we wont face these exact questions but the films make it a plausible or believable potential issue: mans relationship with technology.

However, I think Ridley Scott could have strung us a long a bit more. I mean there will always be deniers and people that will refuse to believe Deckard is a Replicant but Scott could have pushed the myth a bit more.

Scott is emphatic about it in this interview. He makes it very clear. Blade Runner 2049 could not be made if Deckard wasn't a replicant. "It's essential in the present film that he's a replicant."

Don't watch this video if you haven't seen the films.

Haha. I like what Ridley said about so called "professional filmmakers" telling other filmmakers what is right and what is wrong. There is no right and wrong. If you follow rules you're gonna do the same sh*t as last time and you're not going to get any progression in the medium.

As far as Ridley saying Deckard "has to be a replicant in-order for 2049 to happen," I wonder what it is exactly he is referring to in the new film (I still have no f*cking idea what he means). Is it the fact that only

Rachel could have had a kid if two parents were replicants?

, could it have been the

conditions Deckard was living in?

I want to see what Ridley says about that in the future after it hits a home release.

Edited by Indi

Coin

I think the beauty of whether Deckard is a replicant or human is that, whatever he is, it is completely inconsequential to the story and the themes it tackles.

Tyler

I think that's slightly missing the point. The point, as far as I can see from the film and the original novel, is that humanity means something more than just being a breathing person. There are people like Tyrell who are surely alive, but are much less human than characters like Roy Batty. The former is a static aristocrat in a society that shows no growth through the film, while the latter finds his own personal meaning in life despite coming against the ultimate wall: imminent mortality. The final two scenes in the original really drive this point home. Deckard is visibly shocked by the humanity that Roy Batty displays despite also being, ostensibly, a murderous rogue machine. To hit us even more with the point, Deckard's own person-hood is left ambiguous, and his final escape with Rachel is marked by the line, "it's too bad she won't live... But then again who does?"

I dunno. I think the fact that the replicants aren't people is pretty integral to at least a few of the themes that the films and original novel were going for.

Mister Pink

Being a videogame forum, I'm going to drop this here as I'm playing Deus Ex again.

It's an article that draws similarities between Blade Runner and Deus Ex as it shares many of the same themes. It's arguably the closest videogame you'll get to Blade Runner, possibly at least until Cyberpunk comes out.

The Video Game to Play if You Love Blade Runner

The Deus Ex series of games are set in a dystopian cyberpunk future where people can augment themselves into cyborgs with special abilities—but in doing so, they ethically and legally bring their status as human beings into question. Like in the real world, corporations in Deus Ex games own things before we figure out what they mean, and characters have to navigate a world where power that few understand is willfully given to those most prone to abuse it. As far as themes go, it's a greatest hits album of cyberpunk lit—touching on stuff like William Gibson's Neuromancer as well as, of course, Blade Runner.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is also on sale on Xbox store now too. Good a time as any to play it you haven't all ready. I think the series is underrated. Playing Deus Ex gave me mad Blade Runner vibes. It's great if you like snooping around in a near-future cyberpunk world, creeping through vents, sewers, hacking in to places you shouldn't be, multiple approaches to gain access to certain places, RPG elements, stealth or just exploring an interesting world.

I don't know, some times I watch a great film and inspires me to want to play a game in that world. Deus Ex is closest you'll get to Blade Runner, mostly in themes and kind of environmentally.

Edited by Mister Pink

Leftist Bastard

the OST for this film is straight out of human revolutions tbh

Richard Power Colt

Speaking of the soundtrack, while I do think it's pretty good I don't really like it as much as the original by Vangelis. I feel like a lot of it is kinda just simplistic and loud ambient noise and there's no particular track that really stands out for me. It does work quite well in the film, but on its own I don't find it as enjoyable to listen to.

Mister Pink

I loved the soundtrack but never thought I would really sit down and listen to it by itself. It's very much a compliment to the film and while some OST's are great as a standalone, this music while it can be beautiful in it's own right, is a collaborative effort: intentionally to be heard with the visuals and I think that's fine too. My dad actually asked me who did the music and I said the same to him.