2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

If Free Aim was default for Online....

Damned_Hitman

As an Xbox player and free aim day one player. I can't understand all the dislike and hate for it or all the misinformation.

• Like 2

If you happen to own a real handgun, go grab it now. If you don't, grab something else you can hold in your hand like, say, a remote control.

Ok, got something in your hand?

Next I want you to pick an object in the room you're in, something on the other side of the room. Or maybe something hanging on the wall, or even just a spot on the wall. Just pick something and consider that object/spot to be your "target".

Now I want you to aim your gun or your remote or whatever is in your hand at your target.

So let me ask you this: How much conscious thought did you have to put into aiming something in your hand at your target? When you first aimed, did you realize you were ten degrees off to the left, so you adjusted and wound up three degrees too far to the right, then you fine-tuned until you were aiming right at your target?

If you have to adjust degrees to aim IRL or on a controller as you described, I'm sorry but one of your cranial nerves must be busted.

It's not about degrees. It's about how when you decide to point at something and then you actually do it, you point directly at it. You don't start by pointing a little bit to one side, then adjust and maybe go a bit too far, then adjust again. Perhaps "a little bit" would have been a simpler way for me to explain my point.

Also, using your own logic, do you have automatic-terminator aim & strength to perfectly control an assault rifle's recoil IRL? Do you shoot in a perfect beam? Does rolling around the floor make you immune to damage?

I addressed the point of accuracy later in my post. Accuracy includes compensating for recoil. I didn't address rolling on the floor or immunity from damage because neither is relevant to aiming.

If you think that Auto-Aim is a thing in real life, then why do people need to undergo military training to master the breathing and motor senses? According to you we're all godly marksmen.

First of all, I said "assisted aim" not "auto aim". "Assisted aim" is what the mode is called in the game. Secondly, I never at any point said anyone has the natural ability to be a perfect marksman with zero training. What I said is that in real life it is considerably more easy to aim at a target than it is to push a stick around on a controller to aim in a video game.

This is why I say assisted aim is more realistic. You don't have to think about it, you just do it.

And apparently you never fail your shots and can hit a driver going at 100+ mph effortlessly. Gotcha.

I expressly addressed the issue of accuracy on a moving target. I won't repeat myself; go back and re-read.

Have you ever shot a gun in real life? I have. And I can assure you that no part of aiming or shooting in any way resembles pushing a stick around with your thumb.

It doesn't resemble holding down one trigger to lock on to someone and another to shoot neither. Your point?

Pressing one button to point a gun in the direction of an enemy requires a lot less conscious thought and mental effort than pushing around a stick to make a dot move around on screen. That is my point.

This game requires a lot of suspension of disbelief; we all know this. But saying Assisted Aim is realistic is like saying anyone can just go 1 hour to flying school and leave an ace pilot.

I didn't say assisted aim is realistic. I said it is more realistic than free aim.

So when I say that assisted aim is more realistic, please understand that what I'm saying is that pointing a hand-held object at a target isn't something you have to think about, and it isn't anything like moving a stick around with your thumb.

I do, and I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I'm simply laughing at the people who defend AA is being more skillful and/or difficult. It's not. It's in the name ffs; assisted aim.

You say you do, and presumably that's a response to my "please understand" statement. But everything you've said indicates you don't really understand what I'm saying. I've addressed several of your misconceptions about my comments already, but even after saying you do understand, you go on to show even more of your lack of understanding. I never at any point said that assisted aim is more skillful and/or more difficult. In fact, if anything, my overall point is hat assisted aim is less difficult than free aim, and that lesser difficulty is what makes it more realistic. Because in real life, it's just not that hard to point at a target.

Now if you go on to read what I said later in the post you're quoting from regarding accuracy, you'll see that I agree that the accuracy of assisted aim is unrealistic, and it could be made more realistic with some changes to the way it works, especially while moving, or when targeting something that's moving. But that kind of realism might be beyond the scope of this game, which is supposed to be more of a casual combat game rather than a realistic combat simulator.

• Like 2

Well I think that's pretty artificial, but what would I know? I am a mere auto aim peasant, and obviously don't have the l33t skillz to deal with that kind of thing.

Or I guess I might by corner shooting, but then ... Well, you get the point. You shouldn't have to do that to fare well. It reminds me a little of the guys who'll do the suicide+RPG combo against jets, then use that as an excuse to say jets are balanced.

At any rate, like I said, the free aim isn't for me on this game. Doesn't feel quite right, kinda clunky. Not terrible, to be fair, but enough.

wait a sec your majesty , THAT WAS THE SNIPER

he was stationed at control tower , just using ordinary sniper rifle ( yet just deadly as heavy sniper , no less )

other than in mission , NPC armed with snipers also appears as prison's guard tower ( try go one of the towers , you'll find out the guard from other tower shooting at you ) . this also coupled some patrol guards there comes with carbine rifle and assault shotgun

• Like 2

I think that there should be assist aim or even full air for npc i don't really think someone is good at shooting a pre-programmed Ai. It is just part of the game as far as i care if you loose vs AI or you never die is just a matter of how many times you have done the mission.

But for player vs player any assist in aim is stupid and should be removed. It makes the game so silly and easy it is just sad. So player vs player requires no skill at all and removes all the fun out of the game. The whole point in playing a game vs another player is to see who is better at it that is the competition factor of it. With aim assist / full aim you have close to no actual improvement in play time which is not true for free aim. Everything in real life takes skill to do so why remove something so close to reality in a game.

I always play free aim. I'm on PC, I just can't use assisted aim on PC because it sucks.

The only way I'm not on free aim is when I join activities. I don't do PvP activities so I don't care much how other players play. I only use mouse and keyboard for shooting anyway.

Edited by jdwarfer
  • Like 2

Yes obviously using lock aim with prevent you from getting better at manual aim but the rest is just factually incorrect. Again think about what you are saying.

You can be more efficient with manual aim but they will never be the same. No matter how good you get at shooting you will never be able to keep your aim locked on a fast moving target in a vehicle consistently.

You're not supposed to be able to lock on to fast moving targets anyways...

Are you saying you can drive your car and use auto aim at the same time? No...

SO what example are you trying to give.. and what does it matter? You being on foot? While someone in a car drives past you? If that the reason you think AA needed for.. thats a pretty poor one

I guess the problem when speeding towards a player at 150mph and they lock on you and shoot you will be less prominent in a free-aim game.

exactly the reason I switched to free aim 2 and half years ago.

• Like 1

THAT WAS THE SNIPER

did you see how many hit markers there were. She was shot by like 5 or 6 of the AI at the exact same time. Might have been lag buildup but thats still horrible AI.

• Like 2

Here's another reason I play auto aim:

nUktOlb.gif

Some tryhard, little bast**d think he's going to jump up and spam his rockets at me (and kill himself at the same time)? Then I don't have to wait while I drag my gun over to him - I can just point and fill him with bullets, as someone would in reality.

• Like 2

DentureDynamite

Short answer: No. I prefer free aim, because I use a mouse and keyboard (for on-foot combat).

Longer answer: ...but all too often I end up getting switched to auto-aim just because a lot of heists, jobs, etc. are offered by players using auto-aim. R* recently changed this to where your settings wouldn't auto-switch back--couldn't find the update number for that switch, but did find this one:

* [1.36] Fixed an issue that resulted in players being placed into an assisted aim session in a free aim state after joining then leaving a free aim session.

Combat in GTA Online is badly borked and needs an overhaul (remember that FP was an add-on to an originally TP game). BF3 it ain't, but(!) R* upped the bar for themselves when they made the decision to step into that world, and they need to do some serious design renovation and fixing if they want FP (and combat in general) to be taken seriously.

I just wish I didn't have to exit GTA Online, and go into Story Mode to change back to free aim--all that I should be required to do for it to take effect is change sessions.

Edited by DentureDynamite
  • Like 2

I use a gamepad while playing the PC version 90 % of the time (Aim Assissted session), when I`m sniping KB/M players they accuse me of autoaim and get salty....

• Like 1

CaliMeatWagon

THAT WAS THE SNIPER

did you see how many hit markers there were. She was shot by like 5 or 6 of the AI at the exact same time. Might have been lag buildup but thats still horrible AI.

There are a lot of NPC's on that mission and she thought she could be Rambo. Her death has nothing to do with aim type, NPC accuracy or anything else of that nature. It all came down to poor decision making. You can't play that on nothing or nobody but the user.

^^ pure bullsh*t.Overpowered AI is so obvious in this game.She got probably hit in the arm by at least 5 straight bullets and died.We all do same as she did there,so it's all about stupid AI firing

• Like 3

There are a lot of NPC's on that mission and she thought she could be Rambo. Her death has nothing to do with aim type, NPC accuracy or anything else of that nature. It all came down to poor decision making. You can't play that on nothing or nobody but the user.

Well to be clear, whoever that was isn't me. It's just a clip I found. I'm not sure we need a big forum court case on who was at fault (those rarely end well), but in my opinion, I don't think that was very Rambo-like. They were hiding away in cover.

Maybe it's technically possible that could've been avoided; I don't know. But "technically possible" doesn't equate to "reasonable", or balanced.

Everything is possible.

Yes obviously using lock aim with prevent you from getting better at manual aim but the rest is just factually incorrect. Again think about what you are saying.

You can be more efficient with manual aim but they will never be the same. No matter how good you get at shooting you will never be able to keep your aim locked on a fast moving target in a vehicle consistently.

SO what example are you trying to give.. and what does it matter? You being on foot? While someone in a car drives past you? If that the reason you think AA needed for.. thats a pretty poor one

does snot make sense. No where in any of my post did i hint there is lock on while driving.

Not supposed to lock on fast moving targets? Says who, you? That is untrue because the game lets you lock on drivers and pilots in vehicles if they drive by close enough.

The last bit was a very disingenuous thing to say because you are avoiding the main point again just to to make a statement and you completely misrepresent what was said.. It is not needed.

it just makes shooting more efficient. That was just ONE of many examples giving to explain how needing to aim at targets manually is more difficult and takes more time then having a system that automatic locks on a target with one button press.

does snot make sense. No where in any of my post did i hint there is lock on while driving.

Not supposed to lock on fast moving targets? Says who, you? That is untrue because the game lets you lock on drivers and pilots in vehicles if they drive by close enough.

The last bit was a very disingenuous thing to say because you are avoiding the main point again just to to make a statement and you completely misrepresent what was said.. It is not needed.

it just makes shooting more efficient. That was just ONE of many examples giving to explain how needing to aim at targets manually is more difficult and takes more time then having a system that automatic locks on a target with one button press.

Actually it does not make shooting more efficient.. It only makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster. You're spliting hairs on time here.

And why exactly do you 'need to lock on to drivers'. Thats a stupid concept that should not exist anyways And for me.. because it does exist. i know full well how to avoid getting locked on. And therfore preventing any sort of AA from touching me. Which now forces you to play without auto aim.. So know what?

That being said.. Why do you need to lock on to drivers? Thats a pretty sh*tty reason to want to use auto aim.> Infact getting locked on while driving is pretty much the main reason i avoid auto aim. I prefer not to spend all my time trying to avoid Lock ons and just enjoy playing the game instead.

You sit there acting like you have all these points to make.. and all these examples. So whats next?

I mean really besides getting cheesey kills on foot on unsuspecting drivers... You haven't really given much else. Because that right there.. thats about it.

As an Xbox player and free aim day one player. I can't understand all the dislike and hate for it or all the misinformation.

Because Free aim players make fun of Auto Aim. Because its lame..

SOME... Auto aim players think mocking auto aim.. is some how mocking them. And take it personally.

So then they sit there comming up with heaping piles of bullsh*t to make themselves feel better about it. Anytime anything about FA comes up, they get triggered.

My favorite excuse of all time.. FREE AIM IS EMPTY...

... Well "IF" its always empty, my xbox must be broken... or my GTA is gltiched. Because its always packed when i join. :D

• Like 2

I stuck with AA because it when the default when I started playing so I got used to it. Had it been flipped in contrast I would have stuck with Free-Aim.

• Like 3

nUktOlb.gif

Some tryhard, little bast**d think he's going to jump up and spam his rockets at me (and kill himself at the same time)? Then I don't have to wait while I drag my gun over to him - I can just point and fill him with bullets, as someone would in reality.

agree with you , your majesty

because since 3D , GTA has auto-aim and i see no reason why some wants to abolish it

if i were them , i would play other FPS game instead ( where its really easy to use Free aim )

oh as for " skillz " , i don't care even if you points out i don't have " skillz " ( well , because you're were right , i don't :p ) . still , this doesn't means i'm terrible at free aim either , i was once practicing it by survival until i fed up in NG , where they can easily chip my HP to 1% ( and that's before reaching a waves that involves the enemies wielding combat MG )

Actually it does not make shooting more efficient.. It only makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster. You're spliting hairs on time here.

And why exactly do you 'need to lock on to drivers'. Thats a stupid concept that should not exist anyways And for me.. because it does exist. i know full well how to avoid getting locked on. And therfore preventing any sort of AA from touching me. Which now forces you to play without auto aim.. So know what?

That being said.. Why do you need to lock on to drivers? Thats a pretty sh*tty reason to want to use auto aim.> Infact getting locked on while driving is pretty much the main reason i avoid auto aim. I prefer not to spend all my time trying to avoid Lock ons and just enjoy playing the game instead.

You sit there acting like you have all these points to make.. and all these examples. So whats next?

I mean really besides getting cheesey kills on foot on unsuspecting drivers... You haven't really given much else. Because that right there.. thats about it.

Are you trying to troll or did you misunderstand something? I know my english is not that bad....

That is a juvenile argument to make and despite being told several times not to misrepresent what I said you keep doing it.

The only one "spliting hairs is you. and this is proof >"Actually it does not make shooting more efficient.. It only makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster." I said nothing about close range and again the POINT IS LOCK ON MAKE SHOOTING MORE EFFICIENT.

"makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster." ​Even if this is true by definition it makes the shooting more efficient. By putting close range in you are just shifting the goal post but point the still stands regardless because range does not matter.

"That being said.. Why do you need to lock on to drivers?"

This is a sily question to ask. The lock on feature is there so you can shoot other characters.

Again you are being very disingenuous by implying that I was being specific and only focusing on shooting drivers when all I was saying was locking on makes shooting easier especially at times where someone is behind a bush you cannot see though or moving fast like in a vehicle because that takes even more time.

"Infact getting locked on while driving is pretty much the main reason i avoid auto aim. I prefer not to spend all my time trying to avoid Lock ons and just enjoy playing the game instead."This part is a direct contradiction. You snidely ask why people would "need" auto aim for that situation but yet you say you avoid auto aim to avoid it. That is answering your own question with what I was saying the whole time.. It makings it easier to aim at NPCs and other players especially in situations that requires you to adjust more if you are using manual aim.

I am starting to think that the toxic angst and E rod measuring nonsense that this lamed community of Rockstar games fans are known for has something to do with this. You seem to be under the impression that I am somehow avocation for and trying to justify using auto aim over manual aim in general and PVP is in included, I said no such thing. I only said it puts players at a unfair disadvantage against the A.I and I understand why people would avoid using manual aim against it (it blatantly cheats in the worst ways). That is the most I said about that part but the over all point was auto aim makes shooting more efficient and I only explained why, full stop.

Edited by Gducky
  • Like 1

I'd probably switch to AA to avoid all the "clever" people switching to FAA. I'm kind of happy the amount of BP helmets and stuff is pretty low in FA compared to AA. FA by default would make it worse. After the Bikers DLC the number of horrible RPG-Jet-MCs surprisingly decreased, it's kind of clean now (except for a few tryhards). I like it that way.

Dude, it's literally an open area mission that requires you to be delicate around objective vehicles, there is no other way for players to take over the strip but to hide behind personal vehicles and blindfire.

It has to do with accuracy, don't deny it. There is a sniper by the tower, sometimes two, and the moment you try to kill him from as far away as you possibly can the enemies will get triggered and fire at you, and they'll still hit you with their SMGs even if you can barely see them through your scope.

CaliMeatWagon

Dude, it's literally an open area mission that requires you to be delicate around objective vehicles, there is no other way for players to take over the strip but to hide behind personal vehicles and blindfire.

It has to do with accuracy, don't deny it. There is a sniper by the tower, sometimes two, and the moment you try to kill him from as far away as you possibly can the enemies will get triggered and fire at you, and they'll still hit you with their SMGs even if you can barely see them through your scope.

I call BS. I've done that mission several times. To the 3 O'clock from her position there is a cluster of rocks across the street. Using those as cover you can easily take out the sniper in the control tower and 4-5 guys near the choppers. Once they are cleared out you can move up using the Sandy Shores Airfield sign as cover. Starting with the NPC's on the right side (by the trailer and gas station) you pie to the right taking them out one by one. Then you move up and take out the remaining ones in the hanger and by the busted bus.

But instead, she drove straight up into a position with her vehicle as her only cover and multiple enemies in 135 degree angle in front of her. That is not smart. That is dumb.

It's not that hard. All it takes is using your brain.

Edited by CaliMeatWagon

I never play in Assisted Aim lobbies, and if I get an invite to AA, even for racing, I refuse.

I don't condemn people for using computer assistance - we're all different - but after changing from AA to Free Aim during that 'Projects' mission in GTA IV, where you had to gradually work your way up the floors and take out the NPCs before reaching the top, it transformed my GTA experience. Suddenly it was a tough, challenging game and getting through missions was an achievement, just like the 'coke collection' mission in the destroyed hospital, fighting your way in, and then out again against the NOOSE. A completely different game.

• Like 3

CaliMeatWagon

I never play in Assisted Aim lobbies, and if I get an invite to AA, even for racing, I refuse.

I don't condemn people for using computer assistance - we're all different - but after changing from AA to Free Aim during that 'Projects' mission in GTA IV, where you had to gradually work your way up the floors and take out the NPCs before reaching the top, it transformed my GTA experience. Suddenly it was a tough, challenging game and getting through missions was an achievement, just like the 'coke collection' mission in the destroyed hospital, fighting your way in, and then out again against the NOOSE. A completely different game.

For me what really changed the game was First Person Free Aim. Makes the game incredibly immersive if you get the settings right.

Well, regardless of your aiming preference, high accuracy plus a heavy weapon for NPCs is just bad. It's exactly the same for R* created PvE stuff as for actors in the creator. R* basically f*cked up the balance at some parts, NPCs in crate missions have high accuracy and mostly rifles, while in biker missions they have low or extra low accuracy plus weaker weapons. A 500 RP gang attack can be harder than a 1.250.000 heist, and this is only because some of the devs can't use their own tools right. Has nothing to do with freeaim or autoaim really.

Are you trying to troll or did you misunderstand something? I know my english is not that bad....

That is a juvenile argument to make and despite being told several times not to misrepresent what I said you keep doing it.

The only one "spliting hairs is you. and this is proof >"Actually it does not make shooting more efficient.. It only makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster." I said nothing about close range and again the POINT IS LOCK ON MAKE SHOOTING MORE EFFICIENT.

"makes close range shooting simple and tad bit faster." ​Even if this is true by definition it makes the shooting more efficient. By putting close range in you are just shifting the goal post but point the still stands regardless because range does not matter.

"That being said.. Why do you need to lock on to drivers?"

This is a sily question to ask. The lock on feature is there so you can shoot other characters.

Again you are being very disingenuous by implying that I was being specific and only focusing on shooting drivers when all I was saying was locking on makes shooting easier especially at times where someone is behind a bush you cannot see though or moving fast like in a vehicle because that takes even more time.

"Infact getting locked on while driving is pretty much the main reason i avoid auto aim. I prefer not to spend all my time trying to avoid Lock ons and just enjoy playing the game instead."This part is a direct contradiction. You snidely ask why people would "need" auto aim for that situation but yet you say you avoid auto aim to avoid it. That is answering your own question with what I was saying the whole time.. It makings it easier to aim at NPCs and other players especially in situations that requires you to adjust more if you are using manual aim.

I am starting to think that the toxic angst and E rod measuring nonsense that this lamed community of Rockstar games fans are known for has something to do with this. You seem to be under the impression that I am somehow avocation for and trying to justify using auto aim over manual aim in general and PVP is in included, I said no such thing. I only said it puts players at a unfair disadvantage against the A.I and I understand why people would avoid using manual aim against it (it blatantly cheats in the worst ways). That is the most I said about that part but the over all point was auto aim makes shooting more efficient and I only explained why, full stop.

Sorry for the quote train.. But i think its has to choo choo in order to make sense.

You are over thinking everything i've responded with and refuse to accept it.

Your main reply seems to be. "You need to shoot players or ai out of vehicles"

Well... you have not explained why. You also fail to understand how silly it looks to be on the receiving end of getting shot out of your vehicle while moving. Instead play this game of a one sided view of things and not understanding cause and effect.

Also... why do you ever... EVER have to shoot an AI out of moving vehicle while standing still on the road? Let alone a player.

99% of the time you don't ever have to engage in shooting anyone out of a moving vehicle while on foot. Thats a choice you make. You choose to stand there and try and shoot players out of a vehicle with ease... simply because you can due to AA.. When instead you could have simply kept moving and removed the threat from reaching you from their vehicle, while removing line of sight.

Again... AA does not make anything more efficient. Alls it does is make shooting simple. Because thats exactly what its designed to do. Thats why.. you can easily shoot players or AI you can't see..

I mean really.. if you think AA is perfect for shooting targets you can't see because they are hidden or moving too fast. You are basically the poster child of dumbed down game play. No wonder that you love AA. Because for me, you are only giving examples of why AA is so stupid and pointless in the 1st place.

Edited by .Vooodu.

nUktOlb.gif

you ever tried shooting a moving target while moving... you wouldn't have that kind of accuracy irl

you ever tried shooting a moving target while moving... you wouldn't have that kind of accuracy irl

You most likely can't run around and aim/shoot at the same time full stop in real life either, so ...

And I'm 99% sure you can't run around while reloading an RPG.

Point being, whether you can move while doing it or not is irrelevant. If we're going to pick apart every bit of the game that doesn't adhere to reality, then we'd be here forever.

What does have some basis in reality (in auto aim), is that that pointing a gun is much faster, less fiddly, less intricate, etc. than carefully making tiny movements with your thumb on a stick.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 2