2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

If Free Aim was default for Online....

Damned_Hitman

CaliMeatWagon

Yes, I would switch it to assisted aim, because assisted aim is more realistic than free aim.

That's just plain retarded. Do we have terminator-assisted motor functions now?

Free aim is infinitely more realistic; if your aim is all over the place, it's because you don't have proper physical-motor skills, just like IRL.

If you happen to own a real handgun, go grab it now. If you don't, grab something else you can hold in your hand like, say, a remote control.

Ok, got something in your hand?

Next I want you to pick an object in the room you're in, something on the other side of the room. Or maybe something hanging on the wall, or even just a spot on the wall. Just pick something and consider that object/spot to be your "target".

Now I want you to aim your gun or your remote or whatever is in your hand at your target.

So let me ask you this: How much conscious thought did you have to put into aiming something in your hand at your target? When you first aimed, did you realize you were ten degrees off to the left, so you adjusted and wound up three degrees too far to the right, then you fine-tuned until you were aiming right at your target?

No, you did not. When you decided to aim, you pointed what you were holding directly at the target. You didn't have to think about it, you just did it. And you were directly on target.

This is why I say assisted aim is more realistic. You don't have to think about it, you just do it.

Have you ever shot a gun in real life? I have. And I can assure you that no part of aiming or shooting in any way resembles pushing a stick around with your thumb.

Now, what is actually unrealistic about assisted aim is your 100% accuracy, especially with a moving target. In my opinion, assisted aim could be made even more realistic by having the aim button snap you to the target, but not necessarily dead on. You would see a targeting reticle on screen that would be a large circle, and if you shoot, your bullets might go anywhere in the circle. But if you pause before shooting, the circle would get smaller as you "fine tune" your aim. If you move the aiming stick, the circle briefly gets bigger again. So if your target is moving and you're moving your aim to follow, your accuracy would be reduced, which is realistic.

And it would be fair that the AI aiming works he same. They shouldn't have 100% accuracy, either, and their accuracy should be reduced if you're moving, or if they are.

So when I say that assisted aim is more realistic, please understand that what I'm saying is that pointing a hand-held object at a target isn't something you have to think about, and it isn't anything like moving a stick around with your thumb.

How much thought and effort does it take you to press buttons on a control? With the way you are talking about it seems to take you a considerable effort. Are you new to video games? Are you just learning how to use a controller?

And if it takes that much thought and effort to use a controller, how much thought and effort does it take you to control a car in real life? I mean, you no longer have to worry just about your're thumbs, but now your're whole hand and your're feet. Do you have to constantly thinking about how many degrees you need to rotate your're ankle to press on the accelerator?

I hate to be one of those people that are "so good at gta" but nah

its still an exaggeration, the NPCs are more difficult but they are not impossible to kill, besides are video games meant to be easy? are they not meant to pose some sort of challenge and difficulty about them?

if you stick to something you know your whole life, of course alternatives will seem hard...at first, but like all things in life you get better and improve, I was sh*t at FA when I 1st tried it

but like I sed, I read about it here way before I ever tried it, which put me off, but when I finally did, I found that NPC difficulty was exaggerated a lot.

They have better accuracy than you but so what? do people just stand in the open, during gun battles? you have a full weapon wheel, immortality (unless a mission with lives) and possibly friends to aid you...they dont hit you with every single shot....I knw because I run from cover to cover to get better angles or closer to enemies....they also reload and dont have an unlimited clip, a little patience and strategy goes a long way

I play both and Im not buying that sorry, again, dnt mean to sound like some super gta online player but its not that hard man

The reasoning there is very poor and there are arguments against things no one has said.

The second part of your comment is also red herrings an it sounds like you want to fault others skills if they have a complaint about the games A.I. I was able to keep my kills to death ratio above 6.00 without greifing with army vehicles, can do any mission including the broken ones like stocks and scares alone and I still will say the difficulty in this game is horrible and unfair and it is not just how cheap the NPCs are.

Video games are meant to be challenging and easy, it depends on the game or the game options.

Nothing is being "exaggerated". The point is the A.I takes cheap short cuts to be more difficult not that they are too hard to beat or "impossible" to kill. The problem is not difficulty itself but how rockstar tried to make it difficult. It's not balanced. As a matter of fact Rockstar has a nasty habit of doing this with almost every online modes because they are too used to making heavy scripted movie like scenarios that do not require too much player agency.

I can make this very easy to understand. Long post...

It is ok to make NPCs accurate but it is not ok to make them accurate for every situation and all types like crack heads on bikes.

Look at blind firing. People blind fire guns when they are being suppressed when another is shooting at them. The A.I in GTA 5 has blind fire that is accurate which defeats the purpose of suppressing firing them from the start. The crazy accuracy ruins this mechanic, it is USELESS for the player to use.

It also makes certain gameplay options less useful because people tend to stick to super cars and korumas to make up for the fact that the NPCs can easily shoot them out of a moving vehicle. People get annoyed by that koruma on missions especially because it gets boring and drivers always want to get an attitude if others don't get it.

Low status none elite NPCs like gang bangers should not be as effective as military or mercenaries because Low level players are hit with a wall at the very start of online and it does not make much sense.

NPCs should NEVER be able to shoot any gun faster than a mini gun. That is just horribly lazy and makes things even worst.

The A.I should not do things that are physically impossible.

High accuracy is fine when it makes sense but odd shooting angles is not.

Giving the A.I flat out perfect accuracy and high damage is also unbalanced Especially for free aim users regardless if they can beat it or not.

There are so many things they could do to keep a challenge and make the game fair like a more pronounced cone of shooting for all characters in the game so that way the NPCs can keep their unrealistic lock on mechanic and would only be accurate if they use the proper gun at the range it was made for.

fair point

I pretty stoned, right now, I don't even remember what started all this lol, cba to bk and read....

Yes, I would switch it to assisted aim, because assisted aim is more realistic than free aim.

Free aim is infinitely more realistic; if your aim is all over the place, it's because you don't have proper physical-motor skills, just like IRL.

If you happen to own a real handgun, go grab it now. If you don't, grab something else you can hold in your hand like, say, a remote control.

Next I want you to pick an object in the room you're in, something on the other side of the room. Or maybe something hanging on the wall, or even just a spot on the wall. Just pick something and consider that object/spot to be your "target".

Now I want you to aim your gun or your remote or whatever is in your hand at your target.

So let me ask you this: How much conscious thought did you have to put into aiming something in your hand at your target? When you first aimed, did you realize you were ten degrees off to the left, so you adjusted and wound up three degrees too far to the right, then you fine-tuned until you were aiming right at your target?

No, you did not. When you decided to aim, you pointed what you were holding directly at the target. You didn't have to think about it, you just did it. And you were directly on target.

This is why I say assisted aim is more realistic. You don't have to think about it, you just do it.

Have you ever shot a gun in real life? I have. And I can assure you that no part of aiming or shooting in any way resembles pushing a stick around with your thumb.

Now, what is actually unrealistic about assisted aim is your 100% accuracy, especially with a moving target. In my opinion, assisted aim could be made even more realistic by having the aim button snap you to the target, but not necessarily dead on. You would see a targeting reticle on screen that would be a large circle, and if you shoot, your bullets might go anywhere in the circle. But if you pause before shooting, the circle would get smaller as you "fine tune" your aim. If you move the aiming stick, the circle briefly gets bigger again. So if your target is moving and you're moving your aim to follow, your accuracy would be reduced, which is realistic.

And it would be fair that the AI aiming works he same. They shouldn't have 100% accuracy, either, and their accuracy should be reduced if you're moving, or if they are.

So when I say that assisted aim is more realistic, please understand that what I'm saying is that pointing a hand-held object at a target isn't something you have to think about, and it isn't anything like moving a stick around with your thumb.

How much thought and effort does it take you to press buttons on a control? With the way you are talking about it seems to take you a considerable effort. Are you new to video games? Are you just learning how to use a controller?

And if it takes that much thought and effort to use a controller, how much thought and effort does it take you to control a car in real life? I mean, you no longer have to worry just about your're thumbs, but now your're whole hand and your're feet. Do you have to constantly thinking about how many degrees you need to rotate your're ankle to press on the accelerator?

The thought I am referring to is not how much thought goes into pushing a button or moving a stick. I'm referring to the thought of lining up a dot on screen with a target on screen. There's a difference, thought I suppose it may be too subtle a difference for some people to comprehend.

I defy you or anyone else to show me that you can use free aim to get your targeting dot centered on a target behind you, starting from a resting state, as quickly as you can point to a target that's behind you in real life.

• Like 1

CaliMeatWagon

The thought I am referring to is not how much thought goes into pushing a button or moving a stick. I'm referring to the thought of lining up a dot on screen with a target on screen. There's a difference, thought I suppose it may be too subtle a difference for some people to comprehend.

I defy you or anyone else to show me that you can use free aim to get your targeting dot centered on a target behind you, starting from a resting state, as quickly as you can point to a target that's behind you in real life.

Is this real life, or just a fantasy?

Or is that difference to subtle for you to comprehend?

Ah the good ol disallow debate...

I remember when this guy in gtaiv aa dm was so excited that he was winning with a "SIT DOWN UHUHUHUH" with every kill...watching and hearing this from a free aim players pov is just way too funny.

It's like watching a kid with training wheels think that he's actually riding the bike lmaooooo

• Like 1

The thinly-veiled cat fight is pretty rank lol.

But I think what the polar bear guy was saying was, moving a tiny little stick with your thumb is very, very different to aiming a rifle that's in both your hands.

The thinly-veiled cat fight is pretty rank lol.

But I think what the polar bear guy was saying was, moving a tiny little stick with your thumb is very, very different to aiming a rifle that's in both your hands.

Both hands for an ar

Both thumbs for a controller...

Either way some sort of handeye coordination is needed to excell with whatever task...

• Like 3

Both hands for an ar
Either way some sort of handeye coordination is needed to excell with whatever task...

Agreed. But, the degree is different (disregarding bullets dropping over distances, etc.).

Put it this way - using a gun requires hand/eye coordination; using a controller requires thumb/eye coordination.

The point is you have more control if you can use your hands/arms, and just point at whatever you want to shoot - as opposed to making adjustments, pushing a little stick around.

But it's not even my point though, so why I'm here I don't know lol.

Edited by Hunter

Both hands for an ar

Agreed. But, the degree is different (disregarding bullets dropping over distances, etc.).

Put it this way - using a gun requires hand/eye coordination; using a controller requires thumb/eye coordination.

The point is you have more control if you can use your hands/arms, and just point at whatever you want to shoot - as opposed to making adjustments, pushing a little stick around.

Youre here for the controversial conversation. C;

CaliMeatWagon

Both hands for an ar

You have more control over what you've used more. If you have spent more hours at a gun range then you've played video games, then aiming a gun in real life may be easier. If you played more videos game than you have shot guns in real life, then you will be better at aiming in video games.

Regardless of what is used, it all comes down to hand-eye coordination and muscle memory.

I don't know if any of you realize, but most of the people who claim that free aim is manageable tend to be PC players, and this right here is where the misunderstanding lies.

In PC, there's no recoil whatsoever when you aim with a mouse, you can move your crosshairs fluidly and freely to spray in whatever direction your enemy is and you won't complain much.

On consoles, in which most players are, there is recoil no matter what and the crosshairs are moved with a controller's joysticks, and thus the aiming becomes less fluid and feels like you're in a rail shooter, making the idea and action of playing in FA less pleasurable than playing in AA.

So, free-aim is easy for you? Good for you, just don't come around and ignore the problems we're still facing with the cheating AI, okay pal?

Edited by DangerZ0neX
  • Like 4

Is this real life, or just a fantasy?

Or is that difference to subtle for you to comprehend?

The difference between real life and fantasy isn't subtle at all, and requires very little thought to comprehend. What's your point?

CaliMeatWagon

I don't know if any of you realize, but most of the people who claim that free aim is manageable tend to be PC players, and this right here is where the misunderstanding lies.

In PC, there's no recoil whatsoever when you aim with a mouse, you can move your crosshairs fluidly and freely to spray in whatever direction your enemy is and you won't complain much.

On consoles, in which most players are, there is recoil no matter what and the crosshairs are moved with a controller's joysticks, and thus the aiming becomes less fluid and feels like you're in a rail shooter, making the idea and action of playing in FA less pleasurable than playing in AA.

So, free-aim is easy for you? Good for you, just don't come around and ignore the problems we're still facing with the cheating AI, okay pal?

If you are speaking for yourself, as a console player, in your judgement of FA, then please speak for yourself. I play exclusively on console, I play exclusively in FA. Those are not my feelings about it.

Edited by CaliMeatWagon
  • Like 3

Damned_Hitman

If you are speaking for yourself, as a console player, in your judgement of FA, then please speak for yourself. I play exclusively on console, I play exclusively in FA. Those are not feelings about it.

Snap.

Tap the triggers for less recoil.

If you are speaking for yourself, as a console player, in your judgement of FA, then please speak for yourself. I play exclusively on console, I play exclusively in FA. Those are not feelings about it.

It's not a feeling, dude.

It's a fact, console freeaim isn't as fluid as PC freeaim, and most people I knew who play in freeaim tend to be smug asshats about handicapping themselves.

• Like 3

CaliMeatWagon

It's not a feeling, dude.

It's a fact, console freeaim isn't as fluid as PC freeaim, and most people I knew who play in freeaim tend to be smug asshats about handicapping themselves.

I am a smug asshat, but it has nothing to do with my video game preferences.

As for Free Aim, PC players get to point and click, console players have to move joysticks, and this particular debate is an age old one I do not prefer getting into. Particular because that is not the debate at hand.

The current one is if Auto-Aim is realistic.

And as for why I play FA, it's not to handicap myself. It's because playing a first person auto aim game would be stupid.

• Like 2

All I know is that when I rush somebody hugging a corner that they have the advantage in aa. I have no choice but to free aim a camper or it becomes a ridiculous game of who can lock on first.

That's no fun. Especially when the camper kills me as I was desperately trying to clip the top of their head that was exposed.

Im not allowed to lock on to their obviously exposed head? I need more head to be exposed before i can lock on?

The problem seems to be the inconsistency on the potential of aa.

Free aim eliminates horrible handicaps mentioned above.

• Like 1

CaliMeatWagon

All I know is that when I rush somebody hugging a corner that they have the advantage in aa. I have no choice but to free aim a camper or it becomes a ridiculous game of who can lock on first.

That's no fun. Especially when the camper kills me as I was desperately trying to clip the top of their head that was exposed.

Im not allowed to lock on to their obviously exposed head? I need more head to be exposed before i can lock on?

I really wish we had lobbies that were locked to Full Free Aim and First Person.

I really wish we had lobbies that were locked to Full Free Aim and First Person.

Yeees. That would be fun. Rockstar could even lock certain point of views during their double everything adversary modes...

I mean they already force the gametype so why not get anal and switch it up with the settings? Not all of they time but every once in a while so everything they put into the game actually becomes utilized.

CaliMeatWagon

Yeees. That would be fun. Rockstar could even lock certain point of views during their double everything adversary modes...

I mean they already force the gametype so why not get anal and switch it up with the settings? Not all of they time but every once in a while so everything they put into the game actually becomes utilized.

I've done that to my friends a couple of times and boy do they holler.

Free aim should be default all platforms. Most people on consoles don't even know wtf options are.

EVERYONE should go into the options the second they get a new game.

• Like 2

Free aim should be default all platforms. Most people on consoles don't even know wtf options are.

Unfortunately casuals dont change any settings... I had a guy on gtaiv who was #90 for TDM and HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW. That's how casual he was...

Free Aim + Enemy AIs with godlike aim = Fun for those that can actually aim on their own.

FTFY. No, I wouldn't change it. I don't need the computer to tell me where to aim as soon as I even try. I can do things and think for myself.

I'm sure you're one of the few people who enjoy getting killed all the time by enemy AI with Terminator-like accuracy. I feel sorry for you being killed a lot by these kinds of AI who never miss their shots.

On the contrary. Death is a rare occurence for this player. Only really happens when I get over confident or in a rush (Rambo). I do things on Hard along with my FA'ing. My gameplay is beyond lucrative. But, when I get smoked standing or running in the open, I don't whine and blame the CPU for pwning my dumb ass for failed common sense.
  • Like 3

I think if free aim were to be the default option that it would create a much more competitive community but the player base wouldn't last as long and wouldn't be as big.

Idk honestly. Given prior experiences with gtaiv Id say that aa is just more user friendly thus a longer lifespan. Even newbies can hold their own against the vets. While I feel as if free aim vets would crush newbies so much easier making the learning curve for newer players more difficult.

• Like 1

GTA is designed around AA. always has been.

I didn't know FA existed until well after I had the platinum trophy on PS3.

much casual.

--

realism:

AA = pointing your right hand at something.

FA = using your left hand to point your right hand at something.

CaliMeatWagon

I think if free aim were to be the default option that it would create a much more competitive community but the player base wouldn't last as long and wouldn't be as big.

Idk honestly. Given prior experiences with gtaiv Id say that aa is just more user friendly thus a longer lifespan. Even newbies can hold their own against the vets. While I feel as if free aim vets would crush newbies so much easier making the learning curve for newer players more difficult.

Look at other games that have a steep learning curve and compare communities. I know which one I would prefer.

Look at other games that have a steep learning curve and compare communities. I know which one I would prefer.

Me too! Lol! Realistically looking at the bigger picture shows that r* wants to favor the majority to maximize profits.

Unlike games like demons souls/dark souls, gta is not intended to be too difficult for their player base. Sure some gamers enjoy a challenge like myself but that isn't the mentality of the majority.

CaliMeatWagon

Me too! Lol! Realistically looking at the bigger picture shows that r* wants to favor the majority to maximize profits.

Unlike games like demons souls/dark souls, gta is not intended to be too difficult for their player base. Sure some gamers enjoy a challenge like myself but that isn't the mentality of the majority.

And that's why AA is the starting aim type. And it's not even partial, it's Full Auto Aim that they start with.

Damned_Hitman

It's nice to know that there are free aimers on here too.

Allow your thumbs to Embrace the challenge. :p

• Like 2

If you have to adjust degrees to aim IRL or on a controller as you described, I'm sorry but one of your cranial nerves must be busted.

Also, using your own logic, do you have automatic-terminator aim & strength to perfectly control an assault rifle's recoil IRL? Do you shoot in a perfect beam? Does rolling around the floor make you immune to damage?

If you think that Auto-Aim is a thing in real life, then why do people need to undergo military training to master the breathing and motor senses? According to you we're all godly marksmen.

And apparently you never fail your shots and can hit a driver going at 100+ mph effortlessly. Gotcha.

It doesn't resemble holding down one trigger to lock on to someone and another to shoot neither. Your point?

This game requires a lot of suspension of disbelief; we all know this. But saying Assisted Aim is realistic is like saying anyone can just go 1 hour to flying school and leave an ace pilot.

I do, and I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I'm simply laughing at the people who defend AA is being more skillful and/or difficult. It's not. It's in the name ffs; assisted aim.

I disagree.

As much as I enjoy free aim and the challenge included in it in actual PvP matches, the shooting mechanics for GTA V suck too hard to ever be taken serious by any competitive player.

Max Payne 3 was eons better than GTA V in that aspect. I loved logging on with my crew and getting into gun fights against people with actual fluid combat and play. GTA V is wonky and has serious netcode issues....as well as still using P2P rather than actual dedicated servers. Hence why GTA, as far as shooters go, will always be a casual's game of choice unless you find a community that tries to make the best of it.

• Like 4