2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

If Free Aim was default for Online....

Damned_Hitman

I've played PC since the PC launch, and I have never left free aim. I piss off friends because I won't join their heists or missions due to any degree of aim assist. IMO all aim assists should be removed entirely. Either learn to aim or die. That's fun for me. There are glitches where you can retain your free aim and get into public sessions with "full aim assist". 95% of my hack reports come from that as I pick off scrub pilots for fun. 99% of the time, controller or not. .Actually having control is vital, especially since R* wants you to pay $100 for shark cards you can lose in 10 seconds thanks to bot aim Aim Assists make things harder, regardless of if you realize it.

A bullet to the head at 3/4 of a mile is worth 100 to the taint at point blank.

*edit* The game also rewards you with cash and RP for playing full free aim. 20% more of both iirc in missions

Edited by Kyrrari
  • Like 1

Damned_Hitman

*edit* The game also rewards you with cash and RP for playing full free aim. 20% more of both iirc in missions

That's true.

I did Method in the Madness last night, with a friend.

I did it first time, AI wasn't terminator like.

The only truly hard co-op mission in my opinion is 'Death from Above', but the challenge is good fun.

There is a difference between real difficulty and artifical difficulty.

Having to learn to aim isn't Artificial though. The AI's "perfect aim" ceases to be a hassle once you can aim and have good crosshair placement for proper pre-aiming.

Yes, I would switch it to assisted aim, because assisted aim is more realistic than free aim.

That's just plain retarded. Do we have terminator-assisted motor functions now?

Free aim is infinitely more realistic; if your aim is all over the place, it's because you don't have proper physical-motor skills, just like IRL.

• Like 1

There is artificial difficulty in Online - it's the enemies with inflated health pools and terminator accuracy. Those only appear in one or two missions, though, so I don't entirely understand the complaints.

Free aim is where a player runs to when killed too many times on a autoaim lobby. So then they are freeaiming in an empty lobby snd feeling just great! cus they are not dying all day long. Learn to play on autoaim instead of running away.

Free aim is where a player runs to when killed too many times on a autoaim lobby. So then they are freeaiming in an empty lobby snd feeling just great! cus they are not dying all day long. Learn to play on autoaim instead of running away.

This logic is like saying pugilists are people who run away from gangbangers with guns so they flee to a ring where they learn a discipline instead.

Why don't you learn to aim rather than have the game do it for you like some special needs person?

Note: I'm not saying anyone who plays AA is inferior; you're not & how you have fun is your own problem, but that those who delude themselves into thinking that having help is more skillful than no help are, well, deluded.

Edited by Ruin

having learn to aim doesn't change the fact there is artificial difficulty, FA or AA, happens in both and is just not realistic or fair at times if you get shot through things.

• Like 3

To support the artificial difficulty thing, here's what happens when the AI gets hold of an armed vehicle.

The same sh*t happens when trying to take out speeding bodyguards from the sky, they shouldn't be accurate enough to shred a Buzzard way up in the sky to pieces while blindfiring an Uzi from a speeding car, you last as long as that guy if you don't blow up the cars instantly.

To answer the question, I would still play on whatever targeting mode my friends are playing on.

Edited by Captain Owlfeg

Non Funkable Token

There is artificial difficulty in Online - it's the enemies with inflated health pools and terminator accuracy. Those only appear in one or two missions, though, so I don't entirely understand the complaints.

It's a real shock when you start playing online time after completing SP.

You handle enemies in SP basically by taking cover and shooting, is a cakewalk. Then you come to online and you start to fail missions, especially heists, and you don't figure out why. "I did everything okay, how these cops killed me in nanoseconds?" it's frustrating until you get used to it. That's why people complains, because R* just raised the health and the accuracy of the enemy npcs to ridiculous levels, instead of make the AI better.

Not all the enemies have the health and accuracy of the Headhunter bodyguards, tho.

Edited by Perez84

I have mine set to free-aim anyway as assisted/auto is so boring - half the game is shooting, so why have the game essentially play that half of it by itself?

So this would just mean I don't have to set it back to free-aim every time an activity hosted by someone else turns free-aim off.

Edited by reform

lol? OMG pleeeeze tell me how to press LT... and Roll...please.. or please! I can't figure out this auto aim.

And ya every single free aim lobby is empty.. Like all the time. I never ever see packed free aim lobbies.

Ooohhh and those AI. OMG.... So hard to move behind cover and not get shot. I don't have time for that. Thinking is stupid...

* Me being sacrastic as f*ck.. lol

• Like 2

I hate to be one of those people that are "so good at gta" but nah

its still an exaggeration, the NPCs are more difficult but they are not impossible to kill, besides are video games meant to be easy? are they not meant to pose some sort of challenge and difficulty about them?

if you stick to something you know your whole life, of course alternatives will seem hard...at first, but like all things in life you get better and improve, I was sh*t at FA when I 1st tried it

but like I sed, I read about it here way before I ever tried it, which put me off, but when I finally did, I found that NPC difficulty was exaggerated a lot.

They have better accuracy than you but so what? do people just stand in the open, during gun battles? you have a full weapon wheel, immortality (unless a mission with lives) and possibly friends to aid you...they dont hit you with every single shot....I knw because I run from cover to cover to get better angles or closer to enemies....they also reload and dont have an unlimited clip, a little patience and strategy goes a long way

I play both and Im not buying that sorry, again, dnt mean to sound like some super gta online player but its not that hard man

The reasoning there is very poor and there are arguments against things no one has said.

The second part of your comment is also red herrings an it sounds like you want to fault others skills if they have a complaint about the games A.I. I was able to keep my kills to death ratio above 6.00 without greifing with army vehicles, can do any mission including the broken ones like stocks and scares alone and I still will say the difficulty in this game is horrible and unfair and it is not just how cheap the NPCs are.

Video games are meant to be challenging and easy, it depends on the game or the game options.

Nothing is being "exaggerated". The point is the A.I takes cheap short cuts to be more difficult not that they are too hard to beat or "impossible" to kill. The problem is not difficulty itself but how rockstar tried to make it difficult. It's not balanced. As a matter of fact Rockstar has a nasty habit of doing this with almost every online modes because they are too used to making heavy scripted movie like scenarios that do not require too much player agency.

I can make this very easy to understand. Long post...

It is ok to make NPCs accurate but it is not ok to make them accurate for every situation and all types like crack heads on bikes.

Look at blind firing. People blind fire guns when they are being suppressed when another is shooting at them. The A.I in GTA 5 has blind fire that is accurate which defeats the purpose of suppressing firing them from the start. The crazy accuracy ruins this mechanic, it is USELESS for the player to use.

It also makes certain gameplay options less useful because people tend to stick to super cars and korumas to make up for the fact that the NPCs can easily shoot them out of a moving vehicle. People get annoyed by that koruma on missions especially because it gets boring and drivers always want to get an attitude if others don't get it.

Low status none elite NPCs like gang bangers should not be as effective as military or mercenaries because Low level players are hit with a wall at the very start of online and it does not make much sense.

NPCs should NEVER be able to shoot any gun faster than a mini gun. That is just horribly lazy and makes things even worst.

The A.I should not do things that are physically impossible.

High accuracy is fine when it makes sense but odd shooting angles is not.

Giving the A.I flat out perfect accuracy and high damage is also unbalanced Especially for free aim users regardless if they can beat it or not.

There are so many things they could do to keep a challenge and make the game fair like a more pronounced cone of shooting for all characters in the game so that way the NPCs can keep their unrealistic lock on mechanic and would only be accurate if they use the proper gun at the range it was made for.

• Like 3

Giving the A.I flat out perfect accuracy and high damage is also unbalanced Especially for free aim users regardless if they can beat it or not.

There are so many things they could do to keep a challenge and make the game fair like a more pronounced cone of shooting for all characters in the game so that way the NPCs can keep their unrealistic lock on mechanic and would only be accurate if they use the proper gun at the range it was made for.

I don't think anyone will argue about the abusd AI mechanics in GTA O.

But AA only cuts down the amount of time needed to kill said AI's..because its AA. And AA is covering the basic shooting mechanics needed to kill said AI's.

But when people sit there and act like.. "Well the AI is too hard.. soo i use AA" is where the line gets drawn. If it was impossible then i would agree. But really FA just means it takes a bit longer to take down the AI's, only because you don't have AA to do the work for you.

I mean really.. no matter the situation in GTA O.. theres always a easy and hard way to do things.. and its got nothing to do with what aim mode you use.

Edited by .Vooodu.

But AA only cuts down the amount of time needed to kill said AI's..because its AA. And AA is covering the basic shooting mechanics needed to kill said AI's.

But when people sit there and act like.. "Well the AI is too hard.. soo i use AA" is where the line gets drawn. If it was impossible then i would agree. But really FA just means it takes a bit longer to take down the AI's, only because you don't have AA to do the work for you.

I mean really.. no matter the situation in GTA O.. theres always a easy and hard way to do things.. and its got nothing to do with what aim mode you use.

Of course there are easy ways to finish a mission but it does not just take longer to kill if you use manual aiming, it is more to consider for that.

With free aim you cannot simply just lock on and hit them. It takes more time to aim on your own before you start shooting them while they can hit you as soon as they have a open shot. They can keep their guns locked on targets even if there is a wall between them and they use that to pre fire a lot of times. The game was designed for lock on aiming from cover.

Then there are times when you need to shoot drivers and people in helicopters. Free aim mode puts human players at a unfair disadvantage. Using auto definitely makes a big difference in situations.

Something doesn't need to be impossible in order to for people to call it unfair or difficult in the wrong way and decide to avoid it if they choose.

Edited by Gducky

Damned_Hitman

Method in the Madness

Someone said it's difficult, thought it was pretty straight forward to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXbq_X-cgI8

Of course there are easy ways to finish a mission but it does not just take longer to kill if you use manual aiming, it is more to consider for that.

With free aim you cannot simply just lock on and hit them. It takes more time to aim on your own before you start shooting them while they can hit you as soon as they have a open shot. They can keep their guns locked on targets even if there is a wall between them and they use that to pre fire a lot of times. The game was designed for lock on aiming from cover.

Then there are times when you need to shoot drivers and people in helicopters. Free aim mode puts human players at a unfair disadvantage. Using auto definitely makes a big difference in situations.

Something doesn't need to be impossible in order to for people to call it unfair or difficult in the wrong way and decide to avoid it if they choose.

Shoot someone in a helicopter ? What are you referring to?

Survivals?

I wish more people would play free aim, just for more job opportunities mostly, and to play with the official GTAForums crew.

Also I don't buy into the godlike enemy AI requires auto aim mentality. I never had a problem with them in free aim.

Then how do you explain this?

Unless of course you used assisted free aim even if you were to claim that you use free aim yourself.

I'm not sure what you are trying to show me. I stand by my comment that you don't need autoaim to defeat the AI.

• Like 1

Method in the Madness

Someone said it's difficult, thought it was pretty straight forward to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXbq_X-cgI8

Shoot someone in a helicopter ? What are you referring to?

Survivals?

You can lock onto pilots and drivers.

You're talking to someone who played every single online mission and hiest countless times on free aim and even beat the story mode 5 times with free aim. So to me.. i see no difference.. I see no moment when AA is ever needed.. because its not. But if you want to just sit there and not think and spam LT and slaughter AI's then ya.. AA is for you. People who play in free aim obviously want more imerssive game play.

How you approach the shoot out makes the difference. Gaining the advantage over the AI with line of sight means the difference between how fast it will take and if you get shot.. Taking cover when all the AI have you line of sight and can flank you, is the players fault in most cases.

And like i said.. theres always the easy way to do it. I mean nothings stopping people from using Kurumas and Buzzards for missions. And wrecking AIs while laughing at them. Regardless of aim mode.

Edited by .Vooodu.
  • Like 1

Free Aim + Enemy AIs with godlike aim = Fun for those that can actually aim on their own.

FTFY. No, I wouldn't change it. I don't need the computer to tell me where to aim as soon as I even try. I can do things and think for myself.
  • Like 2

You're talking to someone who played every single online mission and hiest countless times on free aim and even beat the story mode 5 times with free aim. So to me.. i see no difference.. I see no moment when AA is ever needed.. because its not. But if you want to just sit there and not think and spam LT and slaughter AI's then ya.. AA is for you. People who play in free aim obviously want more imerssive game play.

How you approach the shoot out makes the difference. Gaining the advantage over the AI with line of sight means the difference between how fast it will take and if you get shot.. Taking cover when all the AI have you line of sight and can flank you, is the players fault in most cases.

And like i said.. theres always the easy way to do it. I mean nothings stopping people from using Kurumas and Buzzards for missions. And wrecking AIs while laughing at them. Regardless of aim mode.

Ok stand back think about what you said. Aim methods has very little to do with preference, it is a matter of convenience and challenge. Secondly "line of sight" does not matter. Rockstars A.I does not work that way unless it is a missions specifically scripted to use stealth. The A.I simply goes into combat mode and bull rushes what ever it is trying to kill. There is no need for line of sight because they don't need it to know where things are or to aim. The a.i also doesn't flank and does not need to because they charge from scattered spawn points and they have an advantage in numbers.

The problem here is you are too hung up on player skill and play style rather than the actual point that manual aim puts human players at a disadvantage.

It is a fact that lock on can make shooting more efficient. Like in the video posted above showing the A.I blind firing through a bush. Situations like that is what I was talking about. If the person used auto aim they can shoot through the bush very fast and accurate with ease instead of spraying bullets or searching for a red target. weather or not a person can kill them manually in that situation is besides the point, it's still an unfair disadvantage..

Well I think that's pretty artificial, but what would I know? I am a mere auto aim peasant, and obviously don't have the l33t skillz to deal with that kind of thing.

Or I guess I might by corner shooting, but then ... Well, you get the point. You shouldn't have to do that to fare well. It reminds me a little of the guys who'll do the suicide+RPG combo against jets, then use that as an excuse to say jets are balanced.

At any rate, like I said, the free aim isn't for me on this game. Doesn't feel quite right, kinda clunky. Not terrible, to be fair, but enough.

It is a fact that lock on can make shooting more efficient.

It makes things more simple... not efficient.

You can be effcient with FA just as easily as you can with AA. The reason you think it makes it efficient is because it makes things simple and requires to you think less.. and count on AA more.

But the AA is hiding your faults as a player.. And its not making you efficient. Instead you have become efficent with auto aim. Which in turns make you less effective with any sort of free aiming when you really need it.

Well I think that's pretty artificial, but what would I know? I am a mere auto aim peasant, and obviously don't have the l33t skillz to deal with that kind of thing.

Or I guess I might by corner shooting, but then ... Well, you get the point. You shouldn't have to do that to fare well. It reminds me a little of the guys who'll do the suicide+RPG combo against jets, then use that as an excuse to say jets are balanced.

At any rate, like I said, the free aim isn't for me on this game. Doesn't feel quite right, kinda clunky. Not terrible, to be fair, but enough.

Well to be fair in that video.. You could have did a drive by and dropped a few smoke bombs.. then parked behind the hanger. That would remove all line of sight and allowed you to funnel and take them out much faster.

When you posted up like that.. And shot a few players you aggrod them all and they all have line of sight. Also.. playing on hard means you're asking for more OP AI' :D

It is a fact that lock on can make shooting more efficient.

It makes things more simple... not efficient.

You can be effcient with FA just as easily as you can with AA. The reason you think it makes it efficient is because it makes things simple and requires to you think less.. and count on AA more.

But the AA is hiding your faults as a player.. And its not making you efficient. Instead you have become efficent with auto aim. Which in turns make you less effective with any sort of free aiming when you really need it.

Well to be fair in that video.. You could have did a drive by and dropped a few smoke bombs.. then parked behind the hanger. That would remove all line of sight and allowed you to funnel and take them out much faster.

When you posted up like that.. And shot a few players you aggrod them all and they all have line of sight. Also.. playing on hard means you're asking for more OP AI' :D

Yes obviously using lock aim with prevent you from getting better at manual aim but the rest is just factually incorrect. Again think about what you are saying.

You can be more efficient with manual aim but they will never be the same. No matter how good you get at shooting you will never be able to keep your aim locked on a fast moving target in a vehicle consistently.

Like I said before any talk about player skill is a distraction and has very little to do with the actual point so you should stop bringing this up.

performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort. This is the very definition of efficient.

You literally just agreed with what I said....

AI in GTA v doesn't use line of sight like in Skyrim for example. Put a bucket on someones head and you can steal his stuff in his home or store.

In GTA they can aim at you through smoke, bushes etc. just as good as they would in plain sight.

You know it's a sad day when a 2011 game has better basic AI programming than a 2013 game that got remastered twice.

Edited by DangerZ0neX
  • Like 2

I've been playing with A Mouse on PC since i was 4-5 years old and never heard of a controller in my life since 3 years ago when i saw on steam that using a controller in racing games gives you better control over vehicle's handling and acceleration even then i didn't buy a controller till August this year when i thought it's time to buy a controller for my racing game, to force me to use controller in every game my Mouse decided to betray me a week before the controller was supposed to get delivered to me, then when it got delivered i found out that half of the games i have don't play well with controller like Hitman series and ARMA3 where Mouse and keyboard is essential for the gameplay provided.

so i decided to focus on any racing games and GTAO since i didn't have a backup Mouse and had to play in AA-Partial/Full, to my surprise there was 1-1.5 delay before i could shoot any enemy let it be any NPC or a Player which was a BIG let down for me since i shoot any enemy as soon as i sense that they're about to attack me. 70% of the time i shoot them in the head as i said before i've been playing with the mouse since i started gaming it's like my brain is trained to move the crosshaire to the head. even if there is no crosshaire in some games like ARMA3. the Only good point i found for me is that using the controller i Improved my driving a lot as with keyboard i have a limit on how i want to take turns and how to accelerate and with controller that limit is removed.

Also as i should note that every type of aiming style requires time and training to get better at it, which is same with any person transitioning from AA to FA or vice versa. especially the case where a only console player starts playing on PC for the first time where if they decide to use mouse they might suck at it first but with time they get better, Same with any Mouse player transitioning to controller. so rather than saying what should be removed from game like AA you should be focusing on how you get better at anything the game has to offer. since the game was first released on a console and then released on PC at last AA obviously wouldn't be removed as no console player would buy it and it would drag down the Sales of the Game. But i'm not anyone to say what someone should do and not do, as this is just a suggestion

Edited by Parth13

Yes, I would switch it to assisted aim, because assisted aim is more realistic than free aim.

That's just plain retarded. Do we have terminator-assisted motor functions now?

Free aim is infinitely more realistic; if your aim is all over the place, it's because you don't have proper physical-motor skills, just like IRL.

If you happen to own a real handgun, go grab it now. If you don't, grab something else you can hold in your hand like, say, a remote control.

Ok, got something in your hand?

Next I want you to pick an object in the room you're in, something on the other side of the room. Or maybe something hanging on the wall, or even just a spot on the wall. Just pick something and consider that object/spot to be your "target".

Now I want you to aim your gun or your remote or whatever is in your hand at your target.

So let me ask you this: How much conscious thought did you have to put into aiming something in your hand at your target? When you first aimed, did you realize you were ten degrees off to the left, so you adjusted and wound up three degrees too far to the right, then you fine-tuned until you were aiming right at your target?

No, you did not. When you decided to aim, you pointed what you were holding directly at the target. You didn't have to think about it, you just did it. And you were directly on target.

This is why I say assisted aim is more realistic. You don't have to think about it, you just do it.

Have you ever shot a gun in real life? I have. And I can assure you that no part of aiming or shooting in any way resembles pushing a stick around with your thumb.

Now, what is actually unrealistic about assisted aim is your 100% accuracy, especially with a moving target. In my opinion, assisted aim could be made even more realistic by having the aim button snap you to the target, but not necessarily dead on. You would see a targeting reticle on screen that would be a large circle, and if you shoot, your bullets might go anywhere in the circle. But if you pause before shooting, the circle would get smaller as you "fine tune" your aim. If you move the aiming stick, the circle briefly gets bigger again. So if your target is moving and you're moving your aim to follow, your accuracy would be reduced, which is realistic.

And it would be fair that the AI aiming works he same. They shouldn't have 100% accuracy, either, and their accuracy should be reduced if you're moving, or if they are.

So when I say that assisted aim is more realistic, please understand that what I'm saying is that pointing a hand-held object at a target isn't something you have to think about, and it isn't anything like moving a stick around with your thumb.

• Like 5

^^that.

--

I play FA because that's what my club plays.

sometimes I play AA when I just want to have fun. you know... the reason I PLAY video GAMES.

Free Aim + Enemy AIs with godlike aim = Fun for those that can actually aim on their own.

FTFY. No, I wouldn't change it. I don't need the computer to tell me where to aim as soon as I even try. I can do things and think for myself.

I'm sure you're one of the few people who enjoy getting killed all the time by enemy AI with Terminator-like accuracy. I feel sorry for you being killed a lot by these kinds of AI who never miss their shots.

Edited by M.K.N.