2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

If Free Aim was default for Online....

Damned_Hitman

Damned_Hitman

and as a consequence was more populated, would you change it to Assisted Aim?

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I play whatever is default. Most others do as well due to flat out just not knowing it can be changed.

• Like 8

Smooth Longsack

I dunno... i see the ground combat as a tertiary function of gta. It's honestly not that good either way, free aim or auto. I'd much prefer having proper fps controls with more limited functionality on weapon selection. Think classes like in cod, some already chosen loadout that could give back a couple buttons and the right stick. I'd be fine without being able to have access to all my weapons, always.

Edited by Smooth Longsack

I dunno... i see the ground combat as a tertiary function of gta. It's honestly not that good either way, free aim or auto. I'd much prefer having proper fps controls with more limited functionality on weapon selection. Think classes like in cod, some already chosen loadout that could give back a couple buttons and the right stick. I'd be fine without being able to have access to all my weapons, always.

There is a FPS control layout for GTA Online while in first person mode on next gen consoles. Layout similar to CoD/BF.

I like to use that layout when I play any type of h2h multiplayer.

Free Aim is the default on PC so I guess the question would be flipped - I wouldn't switch to Auto if it were the default.

Everyone with a controller having an upper hand wouldn't be worth the larger pool of players IMO.

Didn't even know about free aim til about a year into the game. Always heard about actually but didn't know where to change it as I was always in the online portion of the game, where you can't change it.

Would I change it? Nah. I play the default on most games pretty much.

Smooth Longsack

There is a FPS control layout for GTA Online while in first person mode on next gen consoles. Layout similar to CoD/BF.

I only use the fps setup for combat. The guns have noticeably different recoil in either mode, fps being superior in this regard. I'd like to have the exact control scheme as CoD, tbh. In BF1, i really wish i had gtav flight controls. I can't win...

Almost everyone would change to assist aim. GTA isn't really made for free aim like most fps. Ignoring the aim bot äi, most people would end up using rockets and sticky bombs.

Free Aim is the default on PC so I guess the question would be flipped - I wouldn't switch to Auto if it were the default.

Everyone with a controller having an upper hand wouldn't be worth the larger pool of players IMO.

in my opinion a skilled mouse/keyboard player has always the upper hand. you can aim much faster that way.

I use AA (sometimes) to be somehow competitive vs mouse players since i'm using controller 99,9% of the time.

when deathmatching my K/D is almost the same when using AA/controller or free aim/mouse.

with AA you only have advantages when your enemy doesn't see you coming or you have multiple targets.

you have big disadvantages also when enemy keeps distance or combat rolls.

(no offense or something - just my point of view)

also the combat system and balancing of gta is totally f*cked up so i don't think it really matters.

in freeroam most people fight you with explosives/minigun/sniper and the only thing that counts is who pulls the trigger first.

Death Rains From Above

Free Aim + Enemy AIs with godlike aim = No fun

This. The only reason I can't stand Free Aim is the terminator-like enemy AI that make combat a complete sh**show.

It's complete BS that some hillbilly methhead 100 yards away has 100% accuracy with a crappy Assault Rifle.

• Like 6

Free Aim doing Story Mode was actually quite fun. The A.I plays a bit smarter, and you don't lose your entire health in a blink of an eye. Online, and it's complete crap. Terminator A.I's snipe you with mere SMG's. Horrid lag makes any PVP not worth the time.

• Like 2

If it were free aim only, I'd still play. Just adapt to it.

• Like 2

TaylorTheCreator

Many people wouldn't bother playing it, but the if some people chose to play everyone would use explosives but that is pretty much the case with free aim in GTA Online today.

Edited by TaylorTheCreator

Damned_Hitman

Interesting answers. Thanks for your thoughts.

The co-op vs NPC argument is intriguing, I think slightly exaggerated.

So in light, could someone please be kind enough to give an example of a mission or something they think might be impossible to do in freeaim because of the AI over powerment?

I think it's just about taking it slower and positioning yourself more smartly.

• Like 2

CaliMeatWagon

Solution, become godlike yourself. Or get better at cover and engaging at longer distances with non sniper weapons (First person helps a lot with this).

I only use the fps setup for combat. The guns have noticeably different recoil in either mode, fps being superior in this regard. I'd like to have the exact control scheme as CoD, tbh. In BF1, i really wish i had gtav flight controls. I can't win...

I feel your pain.

Edited by CaliMeatWagon
  • Like 1

Interesting answers. Thanks for your thoughts.

The co-op vs NPC argument is intriguing, I think slightly exaggerated.

So in light, could someone please be kind enough to give an example of a mission or something they think might be impossible to do in freeaim because of the AI over powerment?

I think it's just about taking it slower and positioning yourself more smartly.

Really any of the later Lester and Martin missions, some of Trevor mission's like Method in the madness, due to the increased health of the boat passengers and the large amount of lost in vehicles. Another is Handle with care, due to the large amount of both AI inside the warehouse, the chopper that appears after reaching the boats, and the enemy boats that chase you.

• Like 1

I proper started playing in free aim cos of the biker dlc, and its pretty awesome, all the stuff I heard from here was bull no offence

the npcs are not "God" like, that is a massive over exaggeration....

there is more use of mini guns, rockets and explosives tho, and a lot more try hard freemode warriors but its less populated and from my experience for the most part, more civil

for bike riders, free aim is the way to go.....

rfdsafrtfdffres

GTA Cover system was made for assistant aim

no matter what the neckbeard tell you

• Like 3

I'd welcome it being the default setting, would definetly not change it to AA unless some mate asked me to join him in his games then I'd make an exception. I like the challenge it creates but sometimes it gets on my nerves too, with that weird lag & hit detection seeming off, oh and free aim assisted jeez...

Do aircraft missiles lock on to targets in free aim?

yh same as homing launcher, only those tho

I play auto aim, though I know free aim's there and it not being default isn't why I don't play it.

The aiming just feels a little clunky to me. I'm not sure how to describe it, something feels slightly off, particularly when you're both close to each other.

Far off isn't so bad, but then I can do that in auto aim (since there's only so far the lock on works).

Solution, become godlike yourself. Or get better at cover and engaging at longer distances with non sniper weapons (First person helps a lot with this).

I feel your pain.

You basically can't, since enemies are capable of shooting at you while you're in cover, and you're unable to be as near-invincible as them. And don't get me started on AI being able to shoot you at ridiculous distances while driving a really fast car, only to be dead in a matter of seconds.

Edited by M.K.N.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

of course i would, until the cops their auto-aim is not removed i will.

and even if that has happened, it is still questionable i want to be playing by mechanics that make the rpg and the minigun even more powerful then they are already in assisted aim.

I'm currently playing on assisted free aim, and while it cool for PvP, it really sucks for PvE since the AI has aimbot with 100% accuracy, I have noticed that I have been using more explosives lately because of this.

The movement and control response for both viewpoints just doesn't feel on par with dedicated shooter games. PvE in free aim is just a case of artificially handicapping yourself since the NPCs basically have auto-aim and near-perfect accuracy, while in PvP the lack of fluid controls make it a rather unfulfilling experience for me.

The aiming just feels a little clunky to me. I'm not sure how to describe it, something feels slightly off, particularly when you're both close to each other.

That, and the movement in both 3rd and 1st person feels a bit too floaty and imprecise - kind of like our character is forced to finish their current walking animation and is incapable of stopping and starting new directions of movement until they do so. In real life we really don't notice our need to do this, but in a game requiring precision and quick movements it sticks out when compared to other more refined shooter games that feel more fluid with their movements.

• Like 2

Professional Amateur

I play both rather regularly,so yes.. PvP combat is usually more fun in Free Aim, as there aren't as many free-roam warriors or Top Gun tryhards, though a lot are there. Just yesterday I had to down a level 20 in a jet, clearly a second character. As far as tryhards go, it's really just tit-for-tat. Missions in FA are quite an inconvenience if it's one with a lot of enemies in a small area.

As stated many times by others, I do agree the movement and aiming is clunky and weird in both. The whole system feels odd, especially so when you play a proper shooter. There's little to no precision in movement, especially right after firing a weapon or running from the cops. I've fallen to death multiple times with that speed walk.

I guess the problem when speeding towards a player at 150mph and they lock on you and shoot you will be less prominent in a free-aim game.

• Like 5