1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Higher quality character models?

Error2k

Does anyone else feel like our character models in freeroam are lower quality than in Heist outfit selection screen, shops and character creation screen? I hope one day rockstar will add better models at least as an option for PC.

I never really noticed. It is a port of a last gen game from 2013 though - makes sense that it's not quite the best looking game by current standards.

TaylorTheCreator

Ever since GTA 5 moved to next-gen, the characters skin/face/body have been sh*t-tier.

Edited by TaylorTheCreator

Does anyone else feel like our character models in freeroam are lower quality than in Heist outfit selection screen, shops and character creation screen?

Yup. I also don't like when your character's face is exposed to sunlight at a certain angle, it sometimes looks like a crackhead, esp. around the eyes. Like when you leave the apt. when starting a heist/setup etc.

[PC]

Edited by Khephera_87_GER
  • Like 2

Ever since GTA 5 moved to next-gen, the characters skin/face/body have been sh*t-tier.

But muh higher quality textures :(

Yeah, the new character skins are sh*t. They look so f*cked up. And they didn't even redo the logos on the caps and t-shirts, they just straight up put the low quality logos in there. Good thing we have the Lowrider and Stunt caps.

I dont know why females skin looks so f*cked up and dimply ass stomach, doesnt matter what heritage or setting you use...

Why dont they just let us edit our characters whenever the hell we want, ive never understood the Character limit and the one time only edits!. last gen clearly has 5 character slots for a reason. why the change! i have 6 characters over 3 xbl accounts

Edited by _PANiC_

Next generation is port TBH. Any character textures from last gen looks LQ. Also, I think the only improvement Rockstar could do for next gen was textures for environment and maps itself, not characters.

<snip>

Yup. I also don't like when your character's face is exposed to sunlight at a certain angle, it sometimes looks like a crackhead, esp. around the eyes. Like when you leave the apt. when starting a heist/setup etc.

[PC]

^^this.

On the other hand, there are some situations - cut scenes where they look much better (to me). I've stopped thinking about that - main point for me is the cut at the end :lol:.

To get rid of the sandpaper skinn would be cool, but I doubt there will come any improvement.

Edited by godtrams
  • Like 2

Im just waiting for WestWorld the MMORPG :)

i know , never going to happen.......

oh wait RDR2....oh wait.....it will be as bad as gtao is now

Edited by _PANiC_
  • Like 1

A lot of it has to do with the fact that you are farther away (the camera) in freeroam, so it seems lower quality.

Not saying it isn't true that they are in fact lower quality, it very well may be, but the camera distance is a factor. It's hard for me to say since my character is so unique/detailed regardless of where he is veiwed.

• Like 1

I'm sure that my character has more detail on his face than on last gen and I strongly doubt that it'll be a different character model in different modes it'll just be more flattering/different lighting and perspectives.

I think the models are pretty detailed :

Here's my char close up.

ZRdPxxLCBEixB0yYr9kPng_0_0_small.jpg

Edited by Spadge

I never really noticed a difference between game modes - would make more sense to me that the engine only has one model per player, unless they have some optimization/LOD stuff going on at certain times.

The character model skin can look a little rough under some lighting conditions, but i'm glad I don't still look like I did on last gen though:

0_01.jpg

Now

D4r0zAq.jpg

Edited by Coleco
  • Like 1

I don't think it's the character models, in fact I think it has to do with the lighting TBH, as the characters do seem to look best when near or under certain indoor lighting.

• Like 1

DentureDynamite

I never really noticed. It is a port of a last gen game from 2013 though - makes sense that it's not quite the best looking game by current standards.

Makes me wonder if R* has already "hit the ceiling" on graphical improvements for current console hardware and many PCs (i.e. best it can be without reducing the FPS)?

Edited by DentureDynamite

I don't think it's the character models, in fact I think it has to do with the lighting TBH, as the characters do seem to look best when near or under certain indoor lighting.

This, you can test this using the Rockstar editor, if you zoom in on the characters in there you'll see that it has so much details and only the lighting is the factor (the game has only one model for each character)

I was astonished how my character quality in general dramaticly changed to the better when he walked into CG.

Although I can say other games has better character models for sure.

Edited by HKM87

I've said it before that the lighting is a huge factor in appearance. For example in bob mulet salon by the door you have lighting that softens and smooths the face all pretty but when you walk outside your character looks haggard

Edited by Joemoetoe

I never really noticed a difference between game modes - would make more sense to me that the engine only has one model per player, unless they have some optimization/LOD stuff going on at certain times.

The character model skin can look a little rough under some lighting conditions, but i'm glad I don't still look like I did on last gen though:

0_01.jpg

Now

D4r0zAq.jpg

Do you have any images of your character on next gen, but more similar to the first photo? I mean on the street lighting. I wanna see the difference if it's lighting in interiors that improves quality a bit.

First thing I noticed after switchig to current gen was how amazing San Andreas looked. Second thing was how poor characters looked. It was like cartoon walking around in the real world.

Yea no, NOT the lighting

FTXw6rY.jpg

vruCpHm.jpg

Even in low lighting the skin looks dry/sandpaper

NPC in "lighting"

ODWULDy.jpg

Fi0zUkQ.jpg

Wx7WE0p.jpg

Edited by deadx23
  • Like 2

Meh, it makes sense that the characters would be a little worn and battle damaged since a large part of GTAO gameplay is combat. It hardly looks like sandpaper...

• Like 1

mp_m_freemode_01 (GTA O male) and mp_f_freemode_01 (GTA O female) don't change from cutscene to ingame. They're universal peds. However, they DO have detail maps (like pores in skin at close up, like FPV hands) controlled by vertex coloring.

You're not lower quality, but your friends are ever so slightly. So no, you aren't getting lower quality.

Edited by theNGclan
  • Like 2

The characters do look a tad better on PC. You should note that other peoples characters have lower quality textures. Not as noticeable on current gen/PC, but on last gen, you can't even make out another character's tattoo's.

What the Online characters need is to have the same quality that Michael, Trevor, and Franklin have. The protagonists have much higher quality textures, and have more polys. Also, the protagonists clothing respond to wind. So if you ride on a motorcycle when using one of the protagonists, their shirt/jacket will flap in the breeze. MP characters remain static.

I will say this though. All of the characters in current gen/PC GTA V look much better than GTA IV/last gen GTA V. In the updated version of GTA V, not much from the last gen version shows through, as technically speaking, the last gen version was actually the port. This is especially considering the fact that on the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, a lot of the textures actually looked like sh*t, and had detail overlays on them. To add to that, the country side was practically 3d grass free. Not to mention the fact that they keep on expanding GTA Online on current gen/PC, and left last gen in the dust.

So as far as the year the game is comparable to on current gen/PC, I would still say that it is a current gen game from 2014. Last gen was the downgraded, unfinished version. The current gen/PC version are the final game, and not just a remaster.

0_01.jpg

Now

D4r0zAq.jpg

Your character was always hot tbh

Meh, it makes sense that the characters would be a little worn and battle damaged since a large part of GTAO gameplay is combat. It hardly looks like sandpaper...

their is a difference between battle damage and old dry wrinkly skin.but your right in some dark lighting it hardly looks like sandpaper (lights out) but "hardly" still has 40 grit on it..... ;)

rsrht2GaKU-sxNg67R5ziw_0_0.jpg

Edited by deadx23