4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Raavi

General US Politics Discussion

Caysle
18 hours ago, Big Fat Paulie said:

True, and I really do hope than Northam is being sincere when he says it was an idiotic mistake he made long ago and that he is not like that today.

But yearbook jokes aside, I still think he is a lousy governor with some unfortunate corporatist policies.

I'm not American, so I don't know about his politics. It seemed to me that people are more interested in policing other people's behaviors, and I find that more concerning than an offensive costume worn at a university party

10 hours ago, make total destroy said:

He was 25 years old lol

Not exactly "old" there

make total destroy
3 hours ago, trip said:

25 is not old.  25 is young and (usually) stupid.

25 isn't old, but it's old enough to know better. It's not like he was a high school kid, this was a grown man in law school. 

trip
4 minutes ago, make total destroy said:

25 isn't old, but it's old enough to know better. It's not like he was a high school kid, this was a grown man in law school. 

But I think that is half of it.  The "knowing better" wasn't a thing yet.

Heck, in my young lifetime alone there used to be an Al Jolson impersonator at a restaurant at the Jersey shore.  He had to go from black face to using a florescent black light to simulate black face... but the show went on and that was only just the 70's...not even 50 years ago.

I look back to when I was 25.  I was young and stupid.  

Typhus

Come on now, we can't try to paint a 25 year old as being too young to know better. I wouldn't accept that if he had only been 18 years old.

You could well make the argument for changing social norms, and I could actually accept that to a certain degree, but once you're an adult you lose the right to hide behind the excuses of a child for your behaviour.

trip

I still maintain it is the changes to "knowing better" and not the young at 25 part.  The changes to "knowing better" have been pretty drastically paced these past couple decades.

Edited by trip

Eutyphro

I think the issue is the combination of the fact that politicians generally base themselves on a bullsh*t sense of middle class respectability, and the fact that we've forgotten the value of forgiveness as a society. If someone has a convincing experience and narrative of personal growth then they should be forgiven for dumb sh*t. But politicians have to pretend to being a life long beacon of virtue, which is stupid. Fake outrage is forcing people to neurotically lie about themselves and create a fake reputation. We don't allow people to learn anymore.

Clem Fandango

Politicians are expected to resign over the smallest things. It's the lame white collar equivalent of Samurai ritual suicide- they even call it "falling on their sword." This is a f*cking huge gaff. Also, he lied about it at one point, which is another huge gaff sort of layered over the first one. 

uq7451

bernie sanders announced he`s gonna run for president

TheFoxRiverFugitive

Unless another Democratic contender sweeps me off my feet during the debates, I plan on voting for Bernie when the time comes.

Flachbau

I think I'm gonna just wait for the debates to begin to really decide on who I'd want. I already like Bernie, and I supported him in the last election, but I'm liking Kamala Harris as well. I don't necessarily have any disdain towards any of the Democratic candidates so far. In the end, I just want someone that can win.

feckyerlife
3 hours ago, TheFoxRiverFugitive said:

Unless another Democratic contender sweeps me off my feet during the debates, I plan on voting for Bernie when the time comes.

Bernie is not getting the nod, its already pointed to Kamala Harris

make total destroy
3 hours ago, Flachbau said:

but I'm liking Kamala Harris as well.

lol why

TheFoxRiverFugitive
21 minutes ago, feckyerlife said:

Bernie is not getting the nod, its already pointed to Kamala Harris

I'm saying I plan to vote for him in the primaries. I have my doubts he'll get the nomination, but I'd still like to support him. He already raised more money in the first four hours of his campaign than Kamala Harris did in the first 24 hours of her campaign.

Clem Fandango

He's coming for you boyo

Related image

Hmmm nice bike

I also doubt Bernie is going to get the nomination this time around. With how many candidates there are on the Democratic side so far, debates are gonna be interesting. Hopefully whoever is nominated is someone who has a chance of actually beating him, because just think of another 4 years of Trump and what that'll be like.

feckyerlife
On 2/19/2019 at 5:15 PM, TheFoxRiverFugitive said:

I'm saying I plan to vote for him in the primaries. I have my doubts he'll get the nomination, but I'd still like to support him. He already raised more money in the first four hours of his campaign than Kamala Harris did in the first 24 hours of her campaign.

I think after last election, they don't give sh*t about who you vote for in the primaries or who raises more money, if they did Bernie would've gotten the nomination then. 

Svip

But didn't Clinton actually get more votes in the 2016 Democratic primary?

DareYokel

Yes. But one shouldn't forget that the DNC conspired against Sanders. So not only did Hillary had the full support of the DNC, she had a lot more money, she had the brand name and then there's the fact that in some states you're not allowed to vote in the Democratic primaries unless you're a registered Democrat. So a lot of potential Bernie supporters could have been left out because of their independent status.

DareYokel

A lot has happened these past couple of days. It should come as no surprise to anyone that Trump couldn't make a deal with North Korea. For the millionth time, they're not going to give up their nukes just because the US has decided to elect a f*ckin' moron.

And what a moron he turned out to be. He chose North Korea over his own countrymen. Let that sink in. The president of the United States of America sided with a maniacal dictator of a hostile regime who tortured and killed an American citizen, Otto Warmbier. And what did he get in return? Complete and utter humiliation yet again.

Tchuck

Well obviously. As long as America demands something without offering anything worthwhile in return, no talks will progress. DPRK has nukes, they have the bargaining chip, they wouldn't be stupid to throw it away at the US' request without any guarantees. If the US, and the UN, do come to their senses and decide to lift some of the more crippling sanctions, then there can be progress.

On 3/2/2019 at 2:24 AM, DareYokel said:

And what a moron he turned out to be. He chose North Korea over his own countrymen. Let that sink in. The president of the United States of America sided with a maniacal dictator of a hostile regime who tortured and killed an American citizen, Otto Warmbier. And what did he get in return? Complete and utter humiliation yet again.

This is dumb. President after President has been choosing other countries over their own countrymen. You know, like when America starts pointless wars around the globe, sending their soldiers out to die in the name of "freedom" but actually just securing foreign regimes of their liking. 

And, well, now America knows what it's like to have your citizens tortured and killed by tyrannical regimes supported by them, something that America excels at doing around the globe.