4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Ciaran

Metro: Exodus [2019]

Ciaran

Release Date: 2019

ocf2Kaj.jpg

I'm excited. I loved the first two games and I can't wait for this. Their stories are fantastic. Edited by Ciaran

bloatedsack

I did whichever one was released for the PS3. It was fun, but meh. I remember the ending sucking. Maybe that was teh book? It wasn't that great.

Edited by gfen

DERGaming

Oh yeah I remember this series one of the only books that turns into a video game I played one of them and it was ok might have to look into this one.

Goldn-Bayse

I played Metro Redux for the first time back in the summer and I loved it! I got really immersed with the atmosphere and tone. I've been looking for the the first 2 books to read. I'm excited to hear more news for Metro 2035.

Osho

Nice! Both games were very rich in details, atmosphere, and mood but nothing major in terms of gameplay. The biggest point of criticism - both games were way too short because the setting is so amazing I wanted to spend more time. I hope this time the campaign offers more reasons than ever before to keep it enjoyable in the long run.

2033 still remains my favorite. Last Light was not bad but I don't know the sequels usually fall short of a bit over the originals. The developers should focus more on the gameplay side as well, more sneaky and cunning AI to set up things for much more tensions in the action to scare the hell out of players.

Fireman

They are by far the most atmospheric shooters I've ever played.

Even beating Stalker, though mainly because Metro is more linear than Stalker is, so you get sucked in more.

Didn't know a new one was coming, but that's awesome.

Mister Pink

Excellent news!

I was only looking up what those guys were doing and all I could find was VR stuff. I'm so glad this is announced!

I played Metro 2033 on the 360. The graphics, the atmosphere were so amazing. I have the Redux edition of both 2033 and Last Light for the Xbox One bought on the Marketplace and the steal of a price of around 15 euros. I finished 2033 and it's such a tasteful redux definitely worth playing. I thought the game was very well realised, polished and given all the care and attention it needed. It seemed l like a lot of love and passion went in to those game.

For those people that don't know what the game is about, it's game set in the Metro of Moscow's underground after a nuclear fallout. It's an FPS/adventure/shooter some horror elements thrown in. It's a nice singleplayer experience and it's hugely atmospheric as most people will describe it was.

4A games are based in Ukraine so they nailed the local lingo and it feels more realistic when it comes to voice acting etc not like (ahem Michael Hollick ahem :p).

I reckon there'll be another sale for the Redux so if you haven't played it, at least try Metro 2033 or if you see it and you like atmospheric games or post-apocalyptic games, definitely go for it!

PoeticWhisper

sh*t.

Need to finish 2033 and start Last Night.

Wulf Raycevick

I had no idea Metro: Last Light sold enough to warrant a sequel. They always seemed underrated. Now that I think about it. I don't I think I ever really saw an trailers for any of the games. I love both games, tho I found playing Last Light on the hardest difficulty to be frustrating since I usually ran out of ammo around one of the 'bosses'

Richard Power Colt

I read and played 2033, but haven't read 2034 or played Last Light yet. I read the book first and when I played the game I didn't like the story that much, because it just felt like a dumbed down and more action-heavy version of the book, but it was a pretty good game nonetheless. Definitely loved the atmosphere and the sort of survival elements in it, ranger mode actually wasn't as difficult as I expected tho. Anyway I think I gotta play Last Light now.

Daz

Nice.

We need some co-op action up in this bitch.

Noale

sh*t.

Need to finish 2033 and start Last Night.

For a while, I too thought it was Metro: Last Night. :lol:

I'm excited for this. I rarely player shooters anymore, but the Metro series has been an exception. Same goes for the Wolfenstein reboot.

El Dildo

I enjoyed the first 2 Metro's but they were way too short.

if they could expand the campaign and throw in some COOP I would be interested again. the only thing I didn't like about the first 2 was how limited everything felt. pretty much 100% linear gameplay. which would be fine if there was simply more things to do.

Mister Pink

I enjoyed the first 2 Metro's but they were way too short.

if they could expand the campaign and throw in some COOP I would be interested again. the only thing I didn't like about the first 2 was how limited everything felt. pretty much 100% linear gameplay. which would be fine if there was simply more things to do.

I had a conversation with a friend recently about the linearity of the games and we both sort of agreed that due to the nature of it being mostly in the Metros it kind negated the linearity factor. That's not to say I disagree with you. If there was split levels or something where you had a choice to take route A or B or even C with and dealing with the consequences of those choices for some levels, it would be interesting in a decision-making sense and also may add some replay-ability.

On another note, I loved listening in to the conversations NPC's had. That's one thing I love about games is listening to conversations of NPC's and learning more about the world through their conversations.

Edited by Mister Pink

Richard Power Colt

Hopefully they can actually have subtitles for all the NPCs this time. I'd rather change the language to russian for full immersion, but in the Metro 2033 Redux iirc the subtitles were missing for all the random people hanging around the stations.

Also idk if it would work out at all, but I love the idea of an open-world RPG set in the whole Metro.

Mister Pink

Hopefully they can actually have subtitles for all the NPCs this time. I'd rather change the language to russian for full immersion, but in the Metro 2033 Redux iirc the subtitles were missing for all the random people hanging around the stations.

Also idk if it would work out at all, but I love the idea of an open-world RPG set in the whole Metro.

Yeah and it's one of those games like Fallout or Skyrim that suffers from that issue that if you aren't looking at the person directly you can't hear them at all. I understand they want to make dynamic space and create a sort of panning effect; taking to someone face to face, you hear them better, from the side, more through one head phone and from behind, not as good but the human ear is more more powerful and dynamic that what developers are depicting in games. It's borderline bug territory.

@Hit by Lighning: Aw man. With the first question, I love the way as a writer he understands that for a game to work, it has to deviate from the book. You can't just translate a book to a game or a film and expect it to play out and work. You have to transform it in to the other medium and that means changes.

Edited by Mister Pink

Presidential

Yeah and it's one of those games like Fallout or Skyrim that suffers from that issue that if you aren't looking at the person directly you can't hear them at all. I understand they want to make dynamic space and create a sort of panning effect; taking to someone face to face, you hear them better, from the side, more through one head phone and from behind, not as good but the human ear is more more powerful and dynamic that what developers are depicting in games. It's borderline bug territory.

@Hit by Lighning: Aw man. With the first question, I love the way as a writer he understands that for a game to work, it has to deviate from the book. You can't just translate a book to a game or a film and expect it to play out and work. You have to transform it in to the other medium and that means changes.

I understand it's for the immersion but it seems like some games unless you're right in the characters face, they're mumbling so it's either turn the volume up and then back down when they're done talking or walk all the way up to each character which just looks so out of place, therefore killing my immersion a bit. At least make the character say something like "f*ck out my face homeboy" lol or something.

Ciaran

ocf2Kaj.jpg

Omgomgomg

E: Some Gameplay!!

Edited by Ciaran

Stormingz

Looking at the gameplay video I noticed he pulls up a map and compass, we seem to have a proper open area, open world perhaps?

Also, I'm pretty sure towards the end of the video, when we see the character board the train, the woman who extends her hand says "artyom" who was the protagonist from the first two games.

Edited by Stormingz

Mister Pink

Yes, looks as though we continue Artyom's story :)

Trailer/gameplay looked great and it looks like a nice big change from the previous 2 to keep interest.

Leftist Bastard

This game looked bloody nuts. Stole the show alongside ANTHEM; for me. Just looks like a great evolution of the first two, hoping its on PS4.

I'm so excited. I'm happy we're continuing Artjom's story as I was a bit sceptical when watching the trailer that we're playing a different character because of the new setting. Then the ending scene killed all my doubts.

It looks really damn good. If this was actual gameplay then goddamn it looks great. Hope it's more than just a cinematic.

I also hope that they stick to the long and linear story. In my opinion, not every franchise should switch to open world. It happened to a lot of good franchises over the recent years. An open world isn't necessarily a good thing unless it's meaningful and well done. Imo, running from side quest to side quest to a ubisoft tower isn't a true sandbox open world like they're supposed to be.

Edited by fashion

Stormingz

I also hope that they stick to the long and linear story. In my opinion, not every franchise should switch to open world. It happened to a lot of good franchises over the recent years. An open world isn't necessarily a good thing unless it's meaningful and well done. Imo, running from side quest to side quest to a ubisoft tower isn't a true sandbox open world like they're supposed to be.

Oh I agree with you, to me Metro is a solid single player experience, I don't necessarily want a generic open world like you mention, run to point A then B, I'd rather they'd stick to what Metro is great at, story telling and atmosphere, but I would like to see multiple paths, an open world in a sense that you have an open area, you can choose path A, B or C to complete your objective.

Mister Pink

Yeah I think the linearity of the Metro games serves it well. Also by the fact that it mostly took place in the metro helped it along the way. Metrolines and linearity go hand in hand. Maybe now that it looks more open and outside they had to address this. if they handle it like the outdoors of the previous games, I'll be happy.

Richard Power Colt

I heard that it's not fully open world, but rather big open levels which as a fan of all the "immersive sims" like Dishonored is fine by me. The gameplay looked pretty heavily scripted tho.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

For any fans of the Metro series, this article is a highly recommended read. I definitely respect the guys over at 4A Games even more now after reading it. A lot of interesting details and facts in this article, but one I'll mention is that they have no problem delaying Exodus to 2019 if needed.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/30/15905504/metro-exodus-e3-2017-reveal-interview-feature

Mister Pink

For any fans of the Metro series, this article is a highly recommended read. I definitely respect the guys over at 4A Games even more now after reading it. A lot of interesting details and facts in this article, but one I'll mention is that they have no problem delaying Exodus to 2019 if needed.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/30/15905504/metro-exodus-e3-2017-reveal-interview-feature

Great read.

Much respect to 4A. I could imagine them sitting around drinking beers watching E3 when their demo comes on at such a prime spot Must have been a great moment for them.

It's also interesting to learn that the author is having a hands-on approach and pushing the dev team.

Also.. this: :D

it is Prokhorov himself pushing his team to work harder, get more done, prove that they can do things just as well as bigger studios with more resources.

He describes another example of this: When Rockstar released screenshots for Red Dead Redemption 2 last month, Prokhorov saw them and flipped out. In particular, he was floored by one picture, of a train crossing a bridge. The smoke billowing out of the train looked incredible. As a game about crossing the country on a train, Metro Exodus needed better smoke.
“We were like, ‘Oh sh*t, we need to work on this,’” Bloch says.

Leftist Bastard

I liked the article but god the writer is so sh*t. There are so many times you can say ''underdog'' before it gets tedious.

RARusk