2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Are only certain ppl good at Deathmatches?

Snesgamer83

Agree on the age thing!

I'm 44 and regularly get slaughtered by under 15s. They're just too damn quick for me to cope with. I mean, I respawn and before i even know which way I'm facing, bang, I'm dead again!

I just accept that they are far, far better at it than I'll ever be. Got to admit to being impressed by some of the skills they have but it would be nice to manage the odd kill against them now and again. If i get beat 20 - 1 I'm kinda chuffed with my 1 kill :)

It got to the point that i hardly ever play them now though and most of the DMs don't even have a green tick against them on my jobs list. I don't know the maps, weapons spots or good places to position myself.

Some good tips on here. I definitely go too hung-ho and I like the idea of trying to stay alive instead of going for the kills. Will give that a go.

As for rolling and the flick up thing for headshots - man, my timing just sucks and i get all flustered. Nothing worse than throwing a fresh air punch at your enemy a mile away up on a roof instead of shooting 'cause you hit the wrong button!

• Like 2

play by feeling not by what the game shows you.

example:

you know there is a guy around the corner and he is coming towards you (out of the corner). dont wait till you see him and aim and kill. assume he is coming, shoot early, feel the gamecode, not the internet connection. (oh and be on a wired internet connection)

EDIT: as in every game: map knowledge trumps everything, knwoing where they respawn and where they dont, knowing where he is and what he is planning to do by looking at his blimp for a short time.

There is another good tip for FPS multiplayershooter (not for auto aim though). play as if there is an enemy around every corner. even though there isnt.

Edited by iddqdvie
  • Like 2

The combat is shallow. Once you've got the timing down, you're the top of the leaderboard. It's like playing Guitar Hero when it comes to rolling.

Yep, that's all pvp is in this game, whoever times their rolls so that they get the most shots between them wins.

It seems no matter how much I practice my shooting (might as well start for Online gaming, since R* is essentially throwing away single-player and all :(), I'm still never fast enough to play decently in a deathmatch. People have me in their line of fire for a half a second and I'm dead.

Is this something people just get better at with practice, like continuing playing deathmatches until you "git gud", or something?

You have to watch the YouTube videos on how to become a better Deathmatch player. There are tons of them.

The one thing I always suggest is start with the details, things like, adjust your Aim Settings to your ability. Say you tend to be a jumpy player, then don't increase the Look Around Sensitivity because every time you see someone, you'll take the aim off or face the opposite direction of the enemy since you panic. Learn to read the mini-map, this will help you at times get a step on the enemy.

Once you get that down you should see your kills increase pretty effortlessly and once they do and you become serious about being elite, i suggest you record your deathmatches and re-watch not how you killed but how you died and learn from deaths. The killing is easy, getting through the DM without any deaths, now that's a challenge.

Yeah and wear your BPH. That will help you stay alive. Once you become truly elite, you won't need it, you won't even want to wear the thing. Good Luck.

Edited by Day Reaper
  • Like 2

DentureDynamite

All I know is that GTA Online, IMNSHO, does not qualify as a proper DM or TDM game. It does many other things well, but the combat system is not one of them.

NOT up to par.

Anyone who has played BF3 or CS:S knows that--not simply a "git gud" situation.

* Epic lag (already mentioned)

* FP is buggered (like playing as

in VF3, but without the skills)

* TP lets you see around corners--major advantage in mixed mode gameplay

* Spawn/respawn system is tacky at best

* Very clumsy weapon switching

...to name but a few.

BF3 still has the most fluid, realistic FP character movement and weaponry handling (w/authentic audio) of any game I've played. I can easily hold my own with its quality combat system.

Edited by DentureDynamite

He who possesses the laggiest connection shall win the DM.

true that!

so many times i have "killed" the guy on my screen only to see him revive 1 second later and kill me.

Or how about, that extra few bullets the enemy takes after they do that "Im dying, no im not, Im back up." animation that gives his buddy that extra time to get to you and kill you when you know you had the drop on both and could have killed both if the GAME WORKED PROPERLY. Worse than that is the high rank with a BPH that is flinching. 10-15 bullets to kill that asshole. lol. And you don't know if it's the game or his internet connection.

• Like 1

Agree on the age thing!

I'm 44 and regularly get slaughtered by under 15s. They're just too damn quick for me to cope with. I mean, I respawn and before i even know which way I'm facing, bang, I'm dead again!

I just accept that they are far, far better at it than I'll ever be. Got to admit to being impressed by some of the skills they have but it would be nice to manage the odd kill against them now and again. If i get beat 20 - 1 I'm kinda chuffed with my 1 kill :)

It got to the point that i hardly ever play them now though and most of the DMs don't even have a green tick against them on my jobs list. I don't know the maps, weapons spots or good places to position myself.

Some good tips on here. I definitely go too hung-ho and I like the idea of trying to stay alive instead of going for the kills. Will give that a go.

As for rolling and the flick up thing for headshots - man, my timing just sucks and i get all flustered. Nothing worse than throwing a fresh air punch at your enemy a mile away up on a roof instead of shooting 'cause you hit the wrong button!

Lol, I'm 57. Imagine my pain.

I'm actually getting a lot better, but still I don't see how kids can roll and move and shoot me from a distance with the marksman rifle. Or how they use the weapon wheel so fast. By the time I think I need to switch from heavy sniper to heavy mg they've already done it (or whatever the absolutely perfect weapon for the scenario is) before I finished bringing up the wheel at all and boom I'm dead.

I think I'll try a wired connection though, maybe that'll help. At my age I need every advantage I can get.

• Like 3

better GPU helps, i had a 660 and switched to 1070 and the game became much smoother, aiming is much more fluid now

finetune your sensitivity and input mode (windows is best i think) (also disable any "mouse smoothing" features in control panel)

if you play with high sensitivity, practice aiming with your hip (strafing, WASD)

always try and take lag into account, there's a 0.5-1 sec delay for most players, so if the target is moving try and "lead" your shots a bit

BP vest and armor are an advantage

combat roll, alot, but not needlessly

never stand still if you can afford it, especially when your'e being aimed at

cover when in doubt

drop the habit of reloading at 29/30

notice when your target reloads, those are windows to stop for a sec and aim for a headshot

get used to pressing M and navigating for snacks and armor whenever you got a few seconds in a safe spot

try moving in an unpredictable pattern, even if it brakes the fluidity leading to your next shot sometimes

when facing someone at close range and your health is rapidly depleting, don't try to run, you have more chance of survival if you try and spam for a headshot (remember, your actions are not as instant as they appear, due to lag)

pick-a-boo (strafing in and out of cover) is a better option than waiting for your target to come around the corner, this is again due to lag. the one who "appears" has a 0.5-1 sec advantage over the one who "waits/camps"

never hold down the fire button unless in a very close range or using a minigun, always tap in 1-2 secs bursts, less spread and recoil that way

check your in game phone, 2 or 3 receptions bars means even odds, 1 bar means your ping is higher than the other players and you're in a disadvantage

you can try hit-scan simulators online (dots appear and you gotta click on them fast) to improve your aim

---

all that should improve your pvp skill, but ultimately, yes. there are players out there who are just gonna be better unless they make a mistake or you get lucky. be it due to better connection, better hardware, superior situational awareness, better mechanical skill or straight up touched by RNGesus himself. don't overthink it, play and try to adapt and counter instead of doing the same thing that got you killed over and over again

hope this helps, good luck :)

• Like 3

You are better off playing other DM games such as UT, Doom, Cod for example. For some reason 3rd person shooters don't cut it in DM arena games. For me. I've been playing GTA IV, V online for years and still I suck in close combat. The only way I can kill in this type of game is skullduggery or long range sniper shots.

As mentioned, if you put a lot of time into this game mode you will improve. The question you should ask yourself is, do I want to play one game for 12 months?

Agree on the age thing!

I'm actually getting a lot better, but still I don't see how kids can roll and move and shoot me from a distance with the marksman rifle. Or how they use the weapon wheel so fast. By the time I think I need to switch from heavy sniper to heavy mg they've already done it (or whatever the absolutely perfect weapon for the scenario is) before I finished bringing up the wheel at all and boom I'm dead.

I think I'll try a wired connection though, maybe that'll help. At my age I need every advantage I can get.

Buy gun locker. Keep gun wheel simple. Sadly, our reflexes slow down with age just like pro-athletes.

Yes, assholes are good at deathmatches, so long as they stay contained within them, I'm good.

• Like 2

JuliuszMCMXCVII

Too much bullsh*t in this thread. No need to do anything exect for playing the actuall game, don't waste your time for adjusting game setting folks.

• On medium and close ranges alway aim for the head.
  • Always combat roll out of a corner when enemy is nearby.
  • Knowing the maps is usefull, there are not that many of them that are actually played.

If on PC switch to Free Aim lobbies, they are waaaay easier to handle.

Never use a bulletproof helmet on deathmatches! They completely ruins the game for the others. I hope that I don't need to explain why. Try getting better at playing this game without them.

• Like 1

If you're playing in AA always roll after your opponent rolls, be quick with it.

Also use stealth and hold the run button while strafing, that makes it harder for others to headshot you as they have to slightly aim to the left.

Bulp up carbine for closer fights and Special carbine for a bit longer distances when still in AA range.

First person increases accuracy a lot, very good in combination with the Combat MG and snipe battles because it lets you strafe faster while aiming without holding the run button.

Alternatively you can try out the Standard FPS 2 control type which lets you run with R1/RT and jump with X which can be convenient with strafing while aiming.

Also, never go around a corner too close if you know an enemy is there, chance is high they just fire a rocket launcher if they see you. Take some distance to corners (can't always be avoided though).

If you're im free aim turn the Deadzones down.

Deadzones create a small area in the center of the analog sticks which do not send informations thus preventing you from making more precise aiming.

In free aim I don't hold down the aim buttom I press the fire button slightly to move fast while aiming without pressing the run button. You can't zoom in but it works for me and feels more comfortable imo so I can completely focus on killing the opponent.

Also rolling in FA is pretty much obsolete. Try to avoid it, if you're fighting a good free aimer you'll just give him time to shoot at you while you can't.

Edited by Cratoz
  • Like 1

Agree on the age thing!

Buy gun locker. Keep gun wheel simple. Sadly, our reflexes slow down with age just like pro-athletes.

I did for my office. But MC work seems to bring back all my weapons. I have some bugs going on, like I equip a BP helmet in my closet, then do one MC sale and it gets replaced by a parachute. And my saved outfits keep disappearing. Plus I think I remember buying a biker outfit but it disappeared from my closet.

Before I start anything heavy I open my whell and set each class to my favorite weapon, and arm myself with Heavy MG, but I'm still too slow reacting when I need to change weapons. Lol I keep trying though. I'm a savage when it comes to lower level randoms. :)

He who possesses the laggiest connection shall win the DM.

Brazilians... (no racist)

• Like 3

Too much bullsh*t in this thread. No need to do anything exect for playing the actuall game, don't waste your time for adjusting game setting folks.

• On medium and close ranges alway aim for the head.
  • Always combat roll out of a corner when enemy is nearby.
  • Knowing the maps is usefull, there are not that many of them that are actually played.

If on PC switch to Free Aim lobbies, they are waaaay easier to handle.

Never use a bulletproof helmet on deathmatches! They completely ruins the game for the others. I hope that I don't need to explain why. Try getting better at playing this game without them.

f*ck are you talking about, don't adjust settings? I try and make others get better---- and one reason why people used to die a lot was they didnt know you could just flick the hit stick to aim at the next enemy quicker -----but you have to adjust your aim setting in order to do that.

In fact, I was a reserve for a crew H2H and by rule I had to change my aim setting and I didnt suck but I was irritated that I couldn't flick and instead had to press the aim button, losing valuable milliseconds as I had to turn my body towards the enemy, square up with them and then shoot.

Turning off the Depth of Field Effect has worked wonders for people too.

How can you say, don't touch the settings?

Edited by Day Reaper

"It was chaos and luck, and anyone who thought different was a fool" - Max Payne on shootouts

• Like 1

Are u free aimer? If yes then:

- move.. always. Even when you want to camp in one place u stil need to move

- learn to shoot r n g and with full zoom (and learn when to apply it)

- the further u are from enemy the lower u should aim. on long range hips are good because during the roll enemy still takes damage

- use quick reload (by switcing to other gun and back), Its MUCH faster way of reloading and u can have bigger clip without loosing time

- don't run like idiot. THINK about tactics, how to go around and attack from suprise.

- don't fight alone in tdm: support, cover etc.

Practise ideas:

- shooting range practice but with moevement dont stay in one place. Its not about score but skill

- survival missions

- god mode in single player and killing cops.

About sensitivity u need to find something between. If it's to high u will suck at long range, if its to low u will be to slow on close range.

Sorry for grammar im fter 12hours of nightshift. Hope i could help ;)

• Like 1

when it comes to sheer " skillz " :

shooting practice on shooting range

sniping some birds in offline mode or director mode ( though this is bit of harsh towards animal )

training how to survive alone as one-man army in offline mode or director mode

self-sufficient on any roles , thus being described as " worth as a team of 4 man "

add new things for " skillz " :

some keen senses makes " slight " differences :

- sharp sight allows you perceive your enemies when they're are difficult to be seen ( say a bush or rooftop ) . with intense training along marksmanship , the player could able to " deflect " rockets/grenades casually as if mere a sport . it can be augumented further by wearing a glasses that is fitting for players

- keen hearing allows you detect hidden assault ( say off radar ) or knows where the assailant fires from . it can be augumented further by using superbass headphone and allows ingame sounds all incorporated through headphone rather than TV's speaker

The Wandering Hunter

The combat is shallow. Once you've got the timing down, you're the top of the leaderboard. It's like playing Guitar Hero when it comes to rolling.

Yep, that's all pvp is in this game, whoever times their rolls so that they get the most shots between them wins.or uses the most explosives

When it comes to free-aim, it's just miniguns and RPGs, just don't bother thinking about playing fair when it comes to these assholes.

Mini guns and RPGs are only effective in certain situations. Infact the most used weapons in free aim aee stickies and marksmen snipers.

Auto aim and free aim are basically the same.. The only difference is auto aim being way to over powered and ruining the close ramge/vehicle combat aspect of the game. When out of AA range.. the game becomes the same really.

It comes down to awareness, line of sight and having the right weapon for the right moment.

People with mini guns and rpgs get wrecked constantly in free aim.

Damned_Hitman

Are u free aimer? If yes then:

- move.. always. Even when you want to camp in one place u stil need to move

- learn to shoot r n g and with full zoom (and learn when to apply it)

- the further u are from enemy the lower u should aim. on long range hips are good because during the roll enemy still takes damage

- use quick reload (by switcing to other gun and back), Its MUCH faster way of reloading and u can have bigger clip without loosing time

- don't run like idiot. THINK about tactics, how to go around and attack from suprise.

- don't fight alone in tdm: support, cover etc.

Practise ideas:

- shooting range practice but with moevement dont stay in one place. Its not about score but skill

- survival missions

- god mode in single player and killing cops.

About sensitivity u need to find something between. If it's to high u will suck at long range, if its to low u will be to slow on close range.

Sorry for grammar im fter 12hours of nightshift. Hope i could help ;)

This noob is right :)

Lag has seriously become a bad issue in GTA deathmatches. There is at least one Jesus in every match I play. And it`s not only Brazilians, the French are even worse!!!

Another quite important fact (to me for sure) to know the map. Knowing spawnpoints can be a major help! Hunting down freshly re-spawned players might be mean but hey, I gotta get my kills too.

Call Lester if you don`t see your enemies anymore, some might hide and just wait for you.

Try to avoid whole groups of enemies, I`d suggest to go after one and try to eliminate whole groups if another teammate is near.

Make sure your stamina is full.

• Like 2

Charles_Lee_Raye

Only Mexicans and other Latinos are good at deathmatches. Just ask at the end of a game after you get your ass kicked.

They'll be Latino 99% of the time.

• Like 1

Initial.Dinka

stay in cover and you'll be fine. A lot of people make the mistake of running out and blasting nothing lol

COVER AND FIRE! COVER AND FIRE!

I enjoy deathmatches and freeroam shootouts but I f*cking hate those sneaky f*cks who roll up pretending to be non-hostile and then shoot you right in the back.

Edited by Initial.Dinka