1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Are only certain ppl good at Deathmatches?

Snesgamer83

It seems no matter how much I practice my shooting (might as well start for Online gaming, since R* is essentially throwing away single-player and all :(), I'm still never fast enough to play decently in a deathmatch. People have me in their line of fire for a half a second and I'm dead.

Is this something people just get better at with practice, like continuing playing deathmatches until you "git gud", or something?

Yes. Practice. Experience. Key factors in being good at combat.

A major thing is, aim for the head.

Shadowfennekin

He who possesses the laggiest connection shall win the DM.

This is the sad truth ^^

• Like 3

CaliMeatWagon

It seems no matter how much I practice my shooting (might as well start for Online gaming, since R* is essentially throwing away single-player and all :(), I'm still never fast enough to play decently in a deathmatch. People have me in their line of fire for a half a second and I'm dead.

Is this something people just get better at with practice, like continuing playing deathmatches until you "git gud", or something?

And if you're playing 3rd person Auto-Aim, give 1st Person Free-Aim a try. I did, and I'm never turning back.

Solid Scorpion

Practice in a pistol only DM, slow rate of fire and longer to aim for everyone.

Once you get the head shotting down go full auto.

Alternatively you could practice HS against AI's in missions and stuff.

true that!

so many times i have "killed" the guy on my screen only to see him revive 1 second later and kill me.

This is the sad truth ^^

Yep. Doesn't mean they're more skilled either tbh.

I suppose you could say that I have a bit of experience here; I've played nearly 4,300 deathmatches/team deathmatches (nearly 24 days of real life game time). When I first started, I wasn't good at all, but I never gave up and just played regularly and figured out things along the way. I've vastly improved throughout the years; I'm not saying that I'm the best or anywhere even near the best, but I can hold my own and I know that learning from my mistakes, observing others, and just playing as much as possible helped me out here quite a bit. Sure, I suppose it all depends on the type of map, settings, and whether or not you're using FA or AA, but practice and experience definitely do not hurt here at all.

Good luck! :)

Adjust your aim sensitivity up.

Stay behind cover when possible

Roll out from behind cover

When facing someone who always rolls, shoot at them first, roll during their role and

ALWAYS AIM FOR THE HEAD.

You'll get better in time. Just find low rank players practice killing them in freemode.

Richard Power Colt

If you happen to play on PC, get a controller and then play on auto-aim servers. Then whenever an enemy pops up, take aim, flick the right analog up a bit with your thumb and get a headshot ??? profit!

Man, do I svck at Deathmatches, which is why I only play them once or twice a year.

• Like 1

The combat is shallow. Once you've got the timing down, you're the top of the leaderboard. It's like playing Guitar Hero when it comes to rolling.

Weekendwarrior

Hip fire first then aim down sights while shooting later works for me. And your character always shoots in the middle of your screen so practice lining up your enemies in the middle of your screen.

And never stop sprinting even while aiming. Just don't let go of that button

Dr WGA Labriskagni

When you line them nicely, perfect head shot aim empty your clip and you still die first. This game though...

After reaching level 100, I had a k/d of about .8 for 2 years and just sucked at death matches. I just couldn't work out how to get any better.

Then I realised that it wasn't so much that I sucked at shooting. It was that I sucked at staying alive.

I started focussing on lowering my deaths rather than increasing my kills and now I usually finish death matches with a k/d of 1.5 or better. I approch death matches as a hunter rather than a warrior. I wear a bulletproof helmet, constantly refill my armour and snacks, stick to the outside of the map, never move into the open, sneak whenever possible, constantly change position, swivel the camera like a motherf*cker and never go chasing a kill.

My career k/d is up to 1.26 and steadily rising. I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't think that's too bad being in my late 30s competing with people in their early twenties.

I almost never finish on top of the leader board, but I often have the highest differential between kills and deaths, and that is a more important contribution to a team result than simply the highest number of kills.

Tl;dr - up your survival game rather than your killing game and you'll probably see big results.

When it comes to auto-aim, it's all about who can click the aim trigger first and roll at the right time, and also explosives and blowing yourself up so that no one can lower your K/D by an insignificant 0.01 value.

When it comes to free-aim, it's just miniguns and RPGs, just don't bother thinking about playing fair when it comes to these assholes.

• Like 1

sleepwalk1980

Lock on / quick flick up on the L stick / fire / boom! headhsot

Also practice aiming for the area where the player will be when they come out of combat roll.

Edited by sleepwalk1980

If it's a big death match go for the easiest people. Or if ur with a friend you can rig it and kill the easiest ones together.

MorbidPharaoh

GTA deathmatches are lag fests...ita not a good way to measure your actual gun skill...if you ask me there needs to be internet test that you have to pass for multiplayer games cause i have played against some horrendous connections...

Just my opinions though

• Like 3

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and just keep practicing.

One more question - does skill in the Shooting Range necessarily carry or transfer over to the rest of the game? Like, if I'm seeing real progress with my scores in the range, I can rest assured I've gotten at least a little better at aiming when it comes to player-vs-player interactions?

If this was true then I would be the undisputed Champion of deathmatches in GTA Online.

Actually if you play survival you get good at aiming...I trained like that...you learn how to take cover, throw grenades or stickies, but if you encounter a rocket fagot better just leave the battle, THATS A WASTE OF TIME

• Like 1

when it comes to durability :

Lv 100

100/100 strength

100% armor

BP helmet

bullshark steroids

when it comes to arsenal :

weapon of choice that is fitting theme for every person

vehicle of choice that is fitting theme for every person

weapon & vehicle upgrades

when it comes to perks :

lester can handle bounty , invisible from the map temporarily , wanted levels , etc

merryweather service mostly provide security services

lamar dispatched a mugger whoever player you've hated

as CEO , you have a choice to warp vehicle out of thin air , produce ammo , armor & steroids supplies , few of lester's ability ( but much superior )

as Biker , each position has unique perks apart being prospect ( with president can spawn personal motorcycle without cooldown )

when it comes to sheer " skillz " :

shooting practice on shooting range

sniping some birds in offline mode or director mode ( though this is bit of harsh towards animal )

training how to survive alone as one-man army in offline mode or director mode

self-sufficient on any roles , thus being described as " worth as a team of 4 man "

when it comes to sheer knowledge :

knows most/every vantage points and useful places

capable adapt the environment to use it as own's advantage

knows things like object spawn , every police stations , every helicopter spawn , etc

Edited by Sky_Light12
  • Like 2

In my opinion, forced + pickup matches are the most enjoyable and relate more to actual skill and strategy; having your entire arsenal at your disposal with the ability to reload instantly from the interaction menu sort of makes dedicated deathmatches pointless and completely lacking under any sort of strategic light. Quite basically, when matches are set to Owned Weapons (without restrictions), they are more or less reduced to individuals spamming one specific type of weapon--often within maps that were not originally constructed or designed to support such weapons at all.

When it comes to auto-aim, it's all about who can click the aim trigger first and roll at the right time, and also explosives and blowing yourself up so that no one can lower your K/D by an insignificant 0.01 value.

Killing yourself in an actual Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch actually subtracts a point from your score; too bad it doesn't apply to free roam, but most suicides within this particular game mode are purely accidental.

GTA deathmatches are lag fests...ita not a good way to measure your actual gun skill...if you ask me there needs to be internet test that you have to pass for multiplayer games cause i have played against some horrendous connections...

Just my opinions though

Dedicated servers would be a better option--there are many countries that often suffer from substandard internet as a whole; not everyone can have high speed Western European or premium internet from North America. Just my opinion as well.

Lv 100

100/100 strength

100% armor

BP helmet

bullshark steroids

when it comes to perks :

lester can handle bounty , invisible from the map temporarily , wanted levels , etc

as CEO , you have a choice to warp vehicle out of thin air , produce ammo , armor & steroids supplies , few of lester's ability ( but much superior )

as Biker , each position has unique perks apart being prospect ( with president can spawn personal motorcycle without cooldown )

sniping some birds in offline mode or director mode ( though this is bit of harsh towards animal )

self-sufficient on any roles , thus being described as " worth as a team of 4 man "

knows things like object spawn , every police stations , every helicopter spawn , etc

All of that is geared towards free roam; not actual deathmatches. You cannot use muggers, bounties, CEO/VIP/MC abilities, or the like during this game mode.

Edited by -LN-

same here ... I´m not a good PvPer , but mainly because of my mouse (bying a new one anyway) and some players probably having better PCs than me (better fps ??? ) ...

just throw that mini SMG away , and focus on headshots ...

oh yeah : bullshark testo helps too :)

PS :I NEVER played with Auto Aim on, always free aim ...

Edited by nido997

Lv 100

100/100 strength

100% armor

BP helmet

bullshark steroids

when it comes to perks :

All of that is geared towards free roam; not actual deathmatches. You cannot use muggers, bounties, CEO/VIP/MC abilities, or the like during this game mode.

oopsie daisy , lookslike my deteoriation are getting worse than before

still....only hinders me at reading , not driving or shooting

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and just keep practicing.

One more question - does skill in the Shooting Range necessarily carry or transfer over to the rest of the game? Like, if I'm seeing real progress with my scores in the range, I can rest assured I've gotten at least a little better at aiming when it comes to player-vs-player interactions?

I really doubt the problem is with your shooting - I mean the game does most of your aiming for you. It's more likely that you need to work on your tactics rather than your shooting skills.

You will kill a lot more people and die a lot less if you are able to get the drop on your opponents. Pick a few maps you like and host matches on them. Two of my favourites are Ace Liquor and Chasing Shots and I know them like the back of my hand. I know where the best weapons spawn, where the best vantage points are and where other players tend to run or hide.

I'm too old to beat twenty year olds to the draw. I have to be tactical. It works pretty well.

• Like 3