3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Any people with Version 1.40 on PS2?

lol232

Beware that the 1.40 copies have a glitch within the game's statistics where you cannot get 100%. You'll be stuck at 98% and with an extra mission attempt. I learned the hard way. The offroad challenges are also missing sound affects when you go through a checkpoint.

Other than that all good.

• Like 3
On 10/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Garpown said:

Beware that the 1.40 copies have a glitch within the game's statistics where you cannot get 100%. You'll be stuck at 98% and with an extra mission attempt. I learned the hard way. The offroad challenges are also missing sound affects when you go through a checkpoint.

Other than that all good.

Elaborate.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, Sabez said:

I buyed a GTA III copy wich got SLES-50330/EURO in the disc and whitout that # is that the original 1.40 copy? :)

No. You need to check the game files and see what it says.

I made a topic a while ago outlining the SCM differences between the initial PAL release and the later PAL/NTSC release:

On 10/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, lol232 said:

Elaborate.

From my topic linked above:

1) Mission points
    a.  Total number of mission points changed from 156 to 154. It is unclear
        whether this has an effect on 100% completion.
7) Paramedic
    a.  Code jumps to subroutine to give mission points for Health and
        Adrenaline pickups. It is unclear whether this change is related to 1).

It might be worth combing through the SCMv1 Paramedic code or playing through the SCMv1 Paramedic to see if this is indeed the cause.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, lol232 said:

No. You need to check the game files and see what it says.

This may help.

PALv1 refers to what people are calling "version 1.40". I don't really like the "1.40" name because NTSC discs have "1.40" in SYSTEM.CNF, but their MAIN.SCM and FLIGHT2.DAT is the same as PAL discs that say "1.60". I think its best to abandon these version numbers altogether and go with "PALv1" and "PALv2" respectively.

PALv1:

DATA/MAIN.SCM:
* Size: 605,327

* CRC-32: 2302299E

* Date Modified: 2001-09-24

DATA/PATHS/FLIGHT2.DAT:
* Size: 2,636

* CRC-32: 759A2ABD
* Date Modified: 2001-09-23

PALv2/NTSC:

DATA/MAIN.SCM:
* Size: 606,553

* CRC-32: 914AA1D2

* Date Modified: 2001-10-02

DATA/PATHS/FLIGHT2.DAT:
* Size: 1,114

* CRC-32: 2B68AF5E
* Date Modified: 2001-10-03

Personally, I wouldn't rely on the modification date to determine the file version. MAIN.SCM on the NTSC-J (Japanese) disc has the same size and CRC-32 as the PALv2/NTSC listed above and is therefore the same file, but was last modified on 2003-06-19. It's also important to note that PALv1 saves are incompatible with PALv2/NTSC discs and vice-versa due to the differences in MAIN.SCM. Censored Australian saves are also incompatible with non-censored discs, but that's due to a different reason and those saves can likely be converted with ease (but that's for a different topic).

Quick way to calculate CRC-32 using 7-zip:

1) Right-click on any file -> CRC SHA -> CRC-32
OR
1) Right-click on ISO/zip/tar.gz/etc. -> Open Archive
2) Right-click file -> CRC -> CRC-32

Edited by thehambone

Interesting, I have a save from PAL1 where all I did was Paramedic and nothing else. So what does that mean? Picking up adrenaline and health pickups gets you percentage? I don't get it

Edited by lol232
2 hours ago, lol232 said:

Interesting, I have a save from PAL1 where all I did was Paramedic and nothing else. So what does that mean? Picking up adrenaline and health pickups gets you percentage? I don't get it

I should've phrased that better haha, I meant that when you are unlock the health and adrenaline pickups from Paramedic, you are also awarded mission points in PALv2. In PALv1 this does not happen as far as I can tell.
@lol232, would you mind sending me that save if you can?

Yeah, I'll do that, let me figure out how first. I run my GTA III on a modded PS2 where I run games from the internal HDD, but that doesn't affect the game aside from loading. 

Now I don't know how to transfer the save to PC, adapters are too expensive for me. Can you do it with free McBoot or anything?

Edited by lol232

I have a friend who has it but the disk is broken in half because his lil brother got mad that my friend wouldn't let him play it so he broke the disk and the ps2. I found out later it wan an original copy that his dad brought from Europe. I looked at the box and disk and found out it was 1.40.

21 minutes ago, lol232 said:

f*cking neat man. However, the original version is the PAL UK version, 1.40.

Thanks fam, it is appreciated! Hmm, I'm not sure what do you mean by that, though? If nothing, NTSC version was released first; only 4 days prior, but still. So, why would either be 'original' in mutual comparison between the two? Honestly, since being released before PAL version, NTSC could be considered as the 'original' one.. As far as I know this is also 1.40 version.

Yes it is, but it bears the same script of PAL 1.60 versions like hambone mentioned earlier. PAL 1.40 has the original script, NTSC 1.40 and PAL 1.60 on the other hand are the same.

It has some minor differences, original plane path is on PAL 1.40.

• Like 2

@lol232

Dang, I didn't know that, thanks for the info!

@gts.

Thanks man! If you have a thing for similar stuff, including numerous official GTA and Rockstar Games merchandise, head on to " Merchandise " subsection of the Forums and check it out. 

Cheers guys!

Edited by ChengizVlad09

It's also impossible to know if you have 1.40 without unboxing the game. You can only see if it's a PAL 1.40 by looking at the CD, if the code is SLES-50330/UK, if it's SLES-50330/UK# or anything else it's 1.60.

Alright so we reached a conclusion. You CAN get 100% on a PALv1 game only if you complete 12 paramedic missions. 3 f*cking times.

So might as well do it once on each island.

Edited by lol232
18 hours ago, lol232 said:

Alright so we reached a conclusion. You CAN get 100% on a PALv1 game only if you complete 12 paramedic missions. 3 f*cking times.

So might as well do it once on each island.

Really? Good discover.

After studying the game script, I have some insights into this whole PALv1 100% thing.

tl;dr you can get 100% in the PALv1 game, but you have to complete Paramedic three times all the way thru level 12.

Now for the long, detailed explanation...

The PALv1 (1.40) game uses a slightly different SCM, which I call SCMv1 (all other PS2 versions use an updated SCM which I call SCMv2). Game progress in GTA games is computed with "mission points" and in GTA3, there are 154 mission points. However, in SCMv1 the total mission points was erroneously programmed in as 156. So that means you can only get 154/156=98.7% on a PALv1 game. However, there is a bug in the Paramedic mission (on all versions of GTA3) where you'll always get a mission point each time you complete it thru level 12 (thus making it possible to get above 100% in GTA3, fun fact). Basically the game doesn't check whether you've already completed Paramedic before, and just blindly gives you the mission point. Thus, you can complete Paramedic two extra times to get the total number of mission points needed for the game to say you have 100%! So, in a nutshell, there's a bug preventing you from attaining 100%, but you can get around this bug by exploiting a different bug. How convenient! Now, why was the total number of mission points coded with the wrong value in the first place? Well, I have a theory, but first we need a little context.

In the SCM, there's a command called PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS which grants the player one or more mission points. These are given after every mission, side mission, 10 hidden packages, etc. At the beginning of the game script (which executes before the Give Me Liberty starts), there is a command called SET_PROGRESS_TOTAL which tells the game how many mission points there are in total. Now, if you comb through the SCMv2 script code and count up the number of mission points given by PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS (just count the number of times you see the command, basically), you'll get 154, which is the correct number. You'll also see "SET_PROGRESS_TOTAL 154" in SCMv2, which is again correct. However, do the same on the SCMv1 code and you'll get 156, which is incorrect! And in SCMv1, you see "SET_PROGRESS_TOTAL 156"! So why is this? Well, there's a slight difference in the way Paramedic was coded in SCMv1 vs SCMv2, and I think this is where the miscount comes from. Just to be clear, the number of theoretically attainable mission points does not change between the two scripts (ignoring the Paramedic level 12 bug I mentioned earlier for a minute), but the number of times the PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS command is used in each script does change.

The Paramedic mission is a bit weird in the way it awards mission points. In Paramedic, you get one mission point for dropping off 35 patients, another for dropping off 70 patients, and a third for completing all the way thru level 12. Now, the code sets up two cases for awarding points for 35 and 70 patients: 1) you drop off the 35th or 70th patient in the middle of the current round, and 2) you drop off the 35th or 70th patient at the end of the round (triggering the next round). Unfortunately, this is poorly coded -- the same snippet of code for awarding mission points is used in two separate places, both handling basically the same event (dropping off a patient), and both snippets of code use the PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS command. In other words, PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS appears 5 times in the mission code when there are really only 3 mission points to award, it's just that there are two ways in which to get 2 of those mission points.

Why is this a problem? Well, from what we know about GTA3's Script Compiler, the compiler automatically totals up the number of mission points when compiling MAIN.SCM and shoves that value into the SET_PROGRESS_TOTAL parameter. In the original Paramedic code, the compiler would've counted up 5 mission points instead of 3, and boom! there's your 100% bug. Crazy how this small code flaw made it impossible for early PAL players to get 100% completion! This issue must've been discovered soon after the game's release, as it's fixed in the next release (which we all know as 1.60 or PALv2/NTSC). It was corrected by moving the duplicated PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS commands to separate subroutines in the Paramedic code, thus reducing the number of times that PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS appears by two. Both versions of the Paramedic code are shown below:

SCMv1 Paramedic Code Snippet:

// This code snippet appears twice in the mission
00D6: if
0018:   $total_saved_peds > 34
004D: jump_if_false @AMBULAN_5178
014D: text_pager 'PAGEB13' 140 100 1  // Health delivered to hideout
030C: progress_made += 1              // Awards mission point
0018:   $total_saved_peds > 69
004D: jump_if_false @AMBULAN_5242
014D: text_pager 'PAGEB14' 140 100 1  // Adrenaline delivered to hideout
030C: progress_made += 1              // Awards mission point

SCMv2 Paramedic Code Snippet:

// This code snippet appears twice in the mission
0018:   $total_saved_peds > 34
004D: jump_if_false @AMBULAN_11479
014D: text_pager 'PAGEB13' 140 100 1  // Health delivered to hideout
0050: gosub @AMBULAN_12428            // Awards mission point
0018:   $total_saved_peds > 69
004D: jump_if_false @AMBULAN_11546
014D: text_pager 'PAGEB14' 140 100 1  // Adrenaline delivered to hideout
0050: gosub @AMBULAN_12434            // Awards mission point

// This snippet appears only once
// Added to reduce the number of PLAYER_MADE_PROGRESS commands (opcode 030C) by two
:AMBULAN_12428
030C: progress_made += 1
0051: return

:AMBULAN_12434
030C: progress_made += 1
0051: return

Wow, you made it to the bottom of my long-winded explanation of a really obscure GTA3 bug! Congrats, here's a cookie :cookie: and another fun fact: Paramedic was originally supposed to have 15 levels, as evidenced by the leaked SCM source code. Could you imagine having to collect 120 patients in order to complete that god-awful mission?

Edited by thehambone
  • 3 months later...

My copy is 1.40 version SLES-50330/EURO  because i have also  SLES-50330/EURO# copy and save files are not compatible with each other if you try to open original version whit memory card wich got saved game whit  SLES-50330/EURO# copy it wont open and load the game after the intro  same thing whit other way around

• 1 year later...