3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

lol232

Any people with Version 1.40 on PS2?

lol232

So I'm looking for PS2 version of GTA III - the original, Version 1.40 release. I wanna know exactly which discs are 1.40.

How many people have this version? What does the disc look like? What's the code on the left side of the disc above the PS2 logo?

Edited by lol232

gts.

• NTSC-U/C: PS2 black label on dvd disc and the dvd case, SLUS code 20062 on dvd case and dvd disc.

NTSC-U/C Greatest Hits: PS2 red label on dvd disc and the dvd case, it's the same SLUS code but greatest hits abbrevation added at the end (SLUS-20062GH), it's the second version of GTA III for the PS2, the differences aren't so noticeable so R* didn't change the SLUS code so... save games are compatibles between versions.

PAL Europe: PS2 black label on dvd disc and the dvd case, SLES code 50330 on dvd case and dvd disc. There are a lot of variants of the PAL version with different censorship on it for other countries but I don't know if they are the same SLES code as the Australian version, France/Germany version (?), etc.

lol232

Yeah, pretty much only the early UK versions are 1.40.

Mr.Kurowski

I have the original 1.40 disc. :)

unopieceo

Yeah I got my copy in Australia on the release date its SLES 50330 the disc is the exact same as they got in the UK even has thier rating system printed on the disc (18+) but we didnt have that rating system so on the box it says MA15+

Helegad

I have 1.40 after hunting it down on eBay. Australian release.

Edited by Helegad

gts.

Yeah I got my copy in Australia on the release date its SLES 50330 the disc is the exact same as they got in the UK even has thier rating system printed on the disc (18+) but we didnt have that rating system so on the box it says MA15+

I have 1.40 after hunting it down on eBay. UK release with original cover art.

Both SLES-50330/UK#? Would be nice if we can document the PAL versions somewhere.

Edited by gts.

Helegad

EDIT: Talking sh*t.

Edited by Helegad

lol232

I have the original 1.40 disc. :)

Can you post pics?

That's interesting. From what I've seen, I thought only SLES-50330/UK without #'s are 1.40.

Edited by lol232

Helegad

For anyone else who wants to participate, here's a way to check if you have 1.40 or not:

Pop your disc in your PC. Navigate to GTA3\DATA\PATHS. If FLIGHT2.DAT has a Date Modified of 24/09/2001 at 2:01 PM, you have 1.40.

SLES-50330/UK is 1.40

SLES-50330/UK# is 1.60

SLES-50793-T is 1.60

These are my three PAL versions of GTA III on PS2.

Mine is the same.

Edited by Helegad

gts.

For anyone else who wants to participate, here's a way to check if you have 1.40 or not:

Pop your disc in your PC. Navigate to GTA3\DATA\PATHS. If FLIGHT2.DAT has a Date Modified of 24/09/2001 at 2:01 PM, you have 1.40.

SLES-50330/UK is 1.40

SLES-50330/UK# is 1.60

SLES-50793-T is 1.60

These are my three PAL versions of GTA III on PS2.

Interesting and useful, I will check a PAL copy of GTA III that I have since some time.

unopieceo

For further reference this is the Australian 1.40 release version

WLtNcBR.jpg

siGkNNC.jpg

I loved the box art so much I got it blown up poster size

EHsKqD1.jpg

Gravarty

holy sh*t the artwork is awesome! I also have a original GTA III 1,40 copy for PS2, but it's the german version, though.. No blood & Kill Frenzy :D

but you can bypass it by setting the system language to english.

I think that's the only version that has the original "The Exchange" cutscene audio and the train gate glitch.

PICS:

20161108_203700.jpg

20161108_203710.jpg

Edited by countergame

Inadequate

holy sh*t the artwork is awesome! I also have a original GTA III 1,40 copy for PS2, but it's the german version, though.. No blood & Kill Frenzy :D

but you can bypass it by setting the system language to english.

I think that's the only version that has the original "The Exchange" cutscene audio and the train gate glitch.

PICS:

20161108_203700.jpg

20161108_203710.jpg

Ah, I can die in peace now. I always wanted to know that. Since nobody confirmed it before, until now.

Helegad

Train gate glitch? By the way, that cover art is the tits!

Gravarty

Yeah, if you drive on the ramp slowly, you fall down to the subway entrance and then glitch through the gate.

This was fixed in later versions by making the col of the gate much bigger :D

But it still works on the mobile version, likely because it's based of a older version of GTA III.

Edited by countergame

Helegad

Yeah, if you drive over the ramp slowly, you fall down to the subway entrance and then glitch through the gate.

This was fixed in later versions by making the col of the gate much bigger :D

But it still works on the mobile version, likely because it's based of a older version of GTA III.

Jesus... I never knew about that, but seriously, whoever designed that col should have done it right the first time, just like a bunch of other R* assets. I swear these guys are either overworked or underpaid.

Edited by Helegad

totyak

UK eBay I see only SLES-50330# and SLES-50330/UK# games. Both editions are the second print with 1.60 software? The # sign show that these games are second editions?

thehambone

I just checked both of my discs (US GH and US non-GH) and it looks like both are 1.60.

What exactly are the differences between 1.40 and 1.60? Is there any way to spot 1.40 discs from the outside, without looking at the timestamp of FLIGHT2.DAT?

Helegad

Well yeah, if the SLES code on the disc is exactly

SLES-50330/UK

then it's 1.40. Were there any 1.40 US pressings? I don't think there were.

lol232

Yep, the only way to physically determine whether it's 1.40 or 1.60 is by looking at the code of the disk.

Also, there are no US versions which are 1.40, from the looks of it.

thehambone

Sorry to dig up this thread again. I decided to look at my US GTA3 discs again. I have the original (SLUS20062) and Greatest Hits version (SLUS20062GH). Both discs are identical content-wise, confirmed by computing a checksum on the ISOs for both discs. However, I noticed that the SYSTEM.CNF file in the root of the disc has the following line:

VER = 1.40

Now, I've already confirmed that I have 1.60 by looking at the timestamp on FLIGHT2.DAT (2001-10-04 01:32), but I find it interesting that SYSTEM.CNF seems to identify the game as v1.40.

Any thoughts?

Inadequate

Interesting stuff. v1.60... in a US copy @thehambone?

About SYSTEM.CNF, maybe they forgot to change it for later USA/NTSC releases? The unique and supposed changes to be in later releases of GTA3 on PS2 from original release is Uzi renamed to Uz-I and "Mio O Babbino Caro" removed from Double Cleff FM, both supposed changes already discarded with your image disc that you sent me. Changes are very noticeable in PAL copies, v1.40 and v1.60. About Australia and Japan, I don't know.

Edited by Inadequate

thehambone

Ok so after thinking about this for a while I had a thought:

The game version numbers that we know of (v1.40 and v1.60) probably refer to the game engine version, not the disc revision. So I'm thinking that v1.40 is the initial release of the game engine, and v1.60 is the game engine with patches added to censor parts of the game based on region. This would explain why the NTSC version is listed as v1.40 on the disc -- there was no need to censor the game here in the US! However, in PAL regions, the story was different. Now, as far as differences in script and other data files go, here's my hypothesis:

The first pressings of the game were made for Europe (despite the Euro version being released later than US). This would make sense since DMA/Rockstar North is based in Edinburgh. So, the first pressings contained game engine v1.40, the original MAIN.SCM, and the original FLIGHT2.DAT. These are the discs people commonly refer to as PAL v1.40. Then, 9/11 happened and R* decided to change some stuff. At this point, US pressings haven't been made yet. So they touched up MAIN.SCM and FLIGHT2.DAT, and went on to press the US version of the discs. Euro discs were still being pressed with the old files. The game was released in the US and Europe and certain Euro countries begin to complain about the game's violence. This it prompted R* to patch the game engine so they can turn off certain features based on region (blood, gore, money dropping, etc.). This is game engine v1.60. And, since they've already changed some other stuff in reaction to 9/11, they use those files and begin to press new Euro discs. These are the discs people commonly refer to as PAL v1.60.

I'm not sure how Australia fits into all of this yet, but it might be a 4th disc pressing based on the original Euro pressing (or maybe the 2nd Euro pressing) that disables the prostitute feature. I just watched Vadim M's video about censorship too, so all of the details regarding it are fresh in my head 😛

So, in conclusion, I believe there are at least 4 versions of the GTA3 PS2 disc in circulation:

1. 1st Euro pressing (PAL, v1.40 game engine, original MAIN.SCM and FLIGHT2.DAT)
  2. US pressing (NTSC, v1.40 game engine, 9/11 patched MAIN.SCM and FLIGHT.DAT)
  3. 2nd Euro pressing (PAL, v1.60 game engine, 9/11 patched MAIN.SCM and FLGHT.DAT, added some models without blood),
  4. Censored Australian pressing (PAL, ??? game engine, ??? MAIN.SCM and FLIGHT.DAT, removed prostitution minigame)

Edit:

Also I just remembered that Double Pack discs are a thing. Not sure what the differences are there, but from what I hear, the cuts that @Inadequate mentions in the previous post are present in those versions of the disc. I have no way to confirm this though, as I don't own that version. Interestingly, the US Greatest Hits and US original discs are identical, no cuts. I confirmed this earlier in the summer because I have both discs.

Edited by thehambone

Inadequate

@thehambone If I remember correctly Australian and Japanese copies are v1.00 in SYSTEM.CNF lol. I don't think so the disc version or whatever is have something to do with the game engine. The version of RenderWare used in GTA3 on PS2 is older than GTA3 PC and RW on Xbox is newer.

thehambone

Sorry, by "game engine" I meant the game's executable -- all the stuff written in C++ that's not part of the SCM (opcode logic, savefile I/O code, etc.) -- not RenderWare.
Interesting that those are v1.00. Hmmm...

Edited by thehambone

Inadequate

Ah, do you mean the PS2 executable/ELF. Well is probably (too probably) that the ELF indeed has differences, check timestamps or even better but harder reverse it for comparison.

thehambone
1 hour ago, Inadequate said:

Ah, do you mean the PS2 executable/ELF.

Precisely! I think SYSTEM.CNF contains the ELF version. I may try reversing it, but I'll probably be very difficult because I doubt there are any symbols stored in the ELF.

Edit: The ELF does have symbols! 😄

Edited by thehambone

Helegad
On 8/21/2018 at 7:00 AM, thehambone said:

Ok so after thinking about this for a while I had a thought...

1.40 is NOT pre-9/11. Rockstar has confirmed they removed some "inappropriate" content in context of events, and there is NO release that still retains the cut content, which is:

• One mission
  • Car details
  • Some ped comments
  • A few lines of radio dialogue

Let's break that down:

The mission? Unknown. It did NOT involve flying a Dodo into Love Media though, that much is bloody certain. There is no references to it AT ALL in the GXT; I have personally pored over 99% of american.gxt and found nothing relating to this mission, but lines referencing two cut RC missions, cut "special vehicle" collections, and some other interesting stuff remain. My point is, if an entire mission was cut at ultra-crunch-time, we'd have found SOMETHING to prove it by now. Darkel was gone months before 9/11, for being too "odd", and was probably replaced with Rampages (in the .exe Rampages have a class of CDarkel). So, having said all that, I don't believe an entire mission was cut. HOWEVER, the news report that plays over the opening cutscene had a few sentences cut, referencing police divers, terrorists, etc. You can find these lines remaining as comments in a French(?) debug SCM from the 10th anniversary version.

Car details: This one probably refers only to the police vehicles going from blue to black, unless the Bobcat's tray texture and fuzzy dice were giving people PTSD.

Some ped comments: Easy to imagine, there was probably some ped lines where they were screaming about terrorists or something that might have hit a little too close to home after 9/11. Dunno if anyone ever found anything in the RAW/SDT though.

A few lines of radio dialogue: A military commercial on Lips was cut, which reappeared with slight changes in Vice City(?). Beyond that, I'm not aware of any others that would have been removed in context of 9/11.

Our references to 1.40 and 1.60 are purely colloquial in the sense that if Catalina has her "puta" line and the Dodo flies low, it's 1.40. If not, it's 1.60. I wouldn't be looking too hard at references to 1.40 in 1.60 discs as it's most likely sh*t that was just never updated while these changes were made. So far, ALL copies of 1.40 that I've seen have been Australian, despite the SLES code on the disc indicating "UK". Again: I have NEVER seen a 1.40 that was not Australian. Not a single copy of GTA III being sold on eBay from the UK now or six months ago was 1.40. This is important because Australia was the only region where Rockstar were smacked upside the head by the classification agency (OFLC) for self-rating their game, which was promptly refused classification (ergo pulled from shelves) when the OFLC were finally shown what it was all about (which is a great, slightly bizarre read in itself; whoever demoed the game to them seemed to be egging on a ban). My THEORY is that Rockstar, thinking they'd get away with bypassing the OFLC, used the opportunity to get a head start with production on Australian versions with our special cover art, and pressed 1.40 for this region while making minor edits/polish for other regions while they were waiting for the appropriate paperwork/approvals to come back.

Can someone actually show us a US/UK 1.40?

Edited by Helegad

GTAKid667

There actually was a copy of GTA III being sold on eBay in the UK that was 1.40, because I went ahead and picked it up, though it did take several months of checking out the listings to come across and as suspected cropped up in a completely random sale of someone probably just throwing out their old games. Here's a look at the front, back and inside of the case.

Interesting to note that the SLES code is identical to the Australian one that unopieco posted in the thread, whereas later releases in Australia had SLES-50793 on the disc. 

I've been looking into this with thehambone recently and the changes between the two versions besides the most known ones, and there does seem to be additional subtle differences between the two. 

As the posts above suggest, it seems different for the US. thehambone's two copies (original and Greatest Hits) both have 1.40 in the SYSTEM.CNF file yet is more like the version we call 1.60, though has black police cars in the intro which is something present on near enough all UK versions of the game from what I've seen. I'm not completely sure whether there would be any American copies of the game that would have the 1.40 differences, especially with the game being released in North America before Europe.

Edited by GTAKid667