4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Working on my first mod, I need some help

yakhem

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a mod for San Andreas for a project in my history class, but as it's my first mod, I need some help starting up.

I want to learn how to do these things:

• Custom cutscenes
  • Map making
  • Custom textures and possibly models for player/NPCs
  • Friendly and hostile NPCs
  • Custom menu screens
  • Custom animations, such as executions from behind
  • Custom weapons, such as sickles, axes, muskets, etc.
  • Finally, installing the mod

I already know a little bit about map making, I installed a map editor that can be found somewhere on this forum. I also read that custom models, such as houses, can be made in Sketchup, which I am familiar with.

I'm new to GTA modding, and I'm excited to learn about it. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Greetings. I'm a huge history buff and long time modder of the Renderware era of GTA so I can provide some direction for you. I will say that it isn't really realistic to undertake such a project as your first mod (especially if it has a time limit) as even long time modders struggle to put together total conversions but since you were so polite I will humor you.

Map making : This requires the ability of 3D modeling in a program like 3ds Max (Yes, Sketchup can be used to model and then export into another program but most would not recommend this method).

Custom textures: This goes hand and hand with 3D modeling and requires knowledge in a program like Photoshop (Or Gimp).

Player models: Refer to what I said in map making but raise the required skill level.

Friendly and hostile NPCs: This seems to deal with the main.scm but I have little knowledge in mission building and that sort of thing.

Custom menu screens: This is a matter of creating textures in an external program and replacing them with a TXD editor. (More on that later.)

Custom animations: I would think this could be accomplished with 3ds Max.

Custom weapons: Refer to what I said in map making but replace buildings with modeling weapons.

Notes: In order to even begin viewing TXD files you need a program like TXD Workshop or Magic TXD.

If you use Sketchup to model you'll have to transfer your models to 3ds Max prior to getting it into GTA.

3ds Max is not free and it isn't cheap but you can legally acquire a student version if you look into it.

You need special files to be able to import and export .dff files (the model format GTA utilizes) to and from 3ds Max.

(Alternatively you may be able to use a program called Blender for modeling and exporting which is free.)

If you aren't able to tell by now, creating a total conversion mod is a lot of work and requires a specialized knowledge in modeling and coding. You are basically asking how you might create a video almost entirely from scratch with zero knowledge. It'd be more realistic for you to take time and learn each area of modding or specialize in one area so that you can undertake a total conversion in coming years or perhaps help with a team one day. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but I'm only being honest. Also note when I joined this forum, I still am not able to accomplish what you've proposed.

If you're dead set to show a video game in history class I'd recommend maybe one of the Total War games or by what you've described one of the Assassin's Creed games.

Edited by Jules Verne

Greetings. I'm a huge history buff and long time modder of the Renderware era of GTA so I can provide some direction for you. I will say that it isn't really realistic to undertake such a project as your first mod (especially if it has a time limit) as even long time modders struggle to put together total conversions but since you were so polite I will humor you.

Map making : This requires the ability of 3D modeling in a program like 3ds Max (Yes, Sketchup can be used to model and then export into another program but most would not recommend this method).

Custom textures: This goes hand and hand with 3D modeling and requires knowledge in a program like Photoshop (Or Gimp).

Player models: Refer to what I said in map making but raise the required skill level.

Friendly and hostile NPCs: This seems to deal with the main.scm but I have little knowledge in mission building and that sort of thing.

Custom menu screens: This is a matter of creating textures in an external program and replacing them with a TXD editor. (More on that later.)

Custom animations: I would think this could be accomplished with 3ds Max.

Custom weapons: Refer to what I said in map making but replace buildings with modeling weapons.

Notes: In order to even begin viewing TXD files you need a program like TXD Workshop or Magic TXD.

If you use Sketchup to model you'll have to transfer your models to 3ds Max prior to getting it into GTA.

3ds Max is not free and it isn't cheap but you can legally acquire a student version if you look into it.

You need special files to be able to import and export .dff files (the model format GTA utilizes) to and from 3ds Max.

(Alternatively you may be able to use a program called Blender for modeling and exporting which is free.)

If you aren't able to tell by now, creating a total conversion mod is a lot of work and requires a specialized knowledge in modding and coding. You are basically asking how you might create a video almost entirely from scratch with zero knowledge. It'd be more realistic for you to take time and learn each area of modeling or specialize in one area so that you can undertake a total conversion in coming years or perhaps help with a team one day. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but I'm only being honest.

If you're dead set to show a video game in history class I'd recommend maybe one of the Total War games or by what you've described one of the Assassin's Creed games.

Thanks so much for the response! Fortunately, I own both Blender and an older version of 3ds Max. I have lots of experience in Photoshop as well, and some experience with various types of coding. I have some knowledge regarding making models, I just don't know how to put them in GTA. For custom weapons, I was hoping I would be able to import some weapons from Manhunt or Manhunt 2, along with the execution animations, if it's possible. I don't own any Total War or Assassin's Creed games, but I'll look into it. Maybe I could just stick to retexturing the characters, and making a custom map with trigger zones for hostile NPCs to spawn, if that would be any easier.

Once again, thanks for the help!