1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Can some smart people answer me this:

Rusty9130

Would it be possible to have GTA: Online servers be cross platform? In other words, XB1, PS4, and PC players are all able to play together in a lobby.

Obviously, the servers in their current state after 3 years and billions of $$$ in R*'s pockets, are still run by a f*cking hamster wheel, but let's say for the sake of argument, they are stable.

Would cross-platform play on GTA:Online be possible/feasible?

hah if cross platform is possible , wouldn't that means the player who uses mod menu/similar illegal programs able to infiltrate the next gen console players ?

• Like 2

hah if cross platform is possible , wouldn't that means the player who uses mod menu/similar illegal programs able to infiltrate the next gen console players ?

Please read the thread title.........

It is probably possible. However if it were to happen, like I've said in other threads, PC should be separated from consoles seeing that consoles are currently mod free.

• Like 3

VanessaMagick

Absolutely possible. From a technical standpoint it wouldn't even be very difficult. They all use Rockstar's servers in the same game in the same engine.

Main problem is Rockstar doesn't want PC crossing over to console due to mods and other limitations, and Microsoft and Sony wouldn't allow cross-platform for such a huge game.

• Like 1

It's entirely possible, the only thing limiting it is Sony/Microsoft themselves - there's a few games out there with PC-console cross-platform play already (Final Fantasy and Rocket League), however there's none between different consoles. Not because it isn't possible, in fact Rocket League is pretty much ready to do it, but because Sony doesn't want to even though Microsoft is fine with it.

So to answer the question, it's possible, but Sony isn't letting it happen.

Getting Sony and Microsoft to play ball is the problem here.

It would dramatically increase sales, so I don't know what's stopping them :lol:

totally doable, we just need micro$oft and sony to be willing to give access to eachothers network systems to make it happen.

this may happen in the future. to be honest i wont mind playing with xbox people.

TaylorTheCreator

Rockstar are only worried about 2 things

1. GTA Online
  2. Red dead 2

maybe later in 2019/20 when Rockstar will probably release GTA 6

Edited by TaylorTheCreator

totally doable, we just need micro$oft and sony to be willing to give access to eachothers network systems to make it happen.

this may happen in the future. to be honest i wont mind playing with xbox people.

You: "Stand over there for a pic in that nice long grass and flowers"

XB1 Friend: "What nice grass and flowers? Looks like LG"

SniperPrincess

No, I don't think it would be possible for things such as XB1 and PS4. PS4 and PS3, or XB1 and 360 maybe but I don't think it'd be "possible". That would require for Sony and Microsoft to work together, soooo....

Also, it would mean that PSN and Live would have to somehow sync and join together. You would be seeing other players from other platforms and you won't be able to add them or message them if you aren't on the same service. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said, if Microsoft and Sony were able to somehow work together and sync with each other, then yes there is a small chance of it being possible, however you need to consider console limitations too. And you might as well forget about cross-playing between PC and consoles because that's even more impossible than cross-playing with CONSOLES itself which that alone also may be impossible too.

Aaaaand one more thing; I also doubt Sony and Microsoft would connect their networks/systems together because they would BOTH lose money. Xbox players wouldn't need to get a Playstation, and vice-versa. A lot of gamers nowadays have the current systems because their friends don't have their primary console they play on or whatever, though I can almost guarantee you that every one of those gamers prefers a console over the other. So, that would result in them selling their one of the two systems because they wouldn't need it if there are cross-platforming. A lot of gamers have multiple consoles beca

Edited by SniperPrincess

As nearly everyone above says, and they're correct, yes it's perfectly feasible. The data that is passed around the players in the session in order to make the whole online "magic" work is nothing more than a bunch of numbers. It doesn't matter where those numbers have come from or where they go to - they still mean the same thing.

However, Rockstar are too dumb to do anything like this. They can't even make races cross-platform, and I don't mean people on different platforms playing together. I mean that there is literally no reason other than a design choice to stop me being able to download a race on my PS4 that was made by someone on XB1. Sure, there are limitations that would stop a PS4 race being played on a PS3 or XB360, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Yes, it's possible, but like nearly everyone else has said the platform owners would need to shake on it first, but then it wouldn't happen because Rockstar.

• Like 3

SniperPrincess

As nearly everyone above says, and they're correct, yes it's perfectly feasible. The data that is passed around the players in the session in order to make the whole online "magic" work is nothing more than a bunch of numbers. It doesn't matter where those numbers have come from or where they go to - they still mean the same thing.

However, Rockstar are too dumb to do anything like this. They can't even make races cross-platform, and I don't mean people on different platforms playing together. I mean that there is literally no reason other than a design choice to stop me being able to download a race on my PS4 that was made by someone on XB1. Sure, there are limitations that would stop a PS4 race being played on a PS3 or XB360, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Yes, it's possible, but like nearly everyone else has said the platform owners would need to shake on it first, but then it wouldn't happen because Rockstar.

It's not that simple. It's more complex than that. You have to remember that both Microsoft and Sony have their own networks and services. Connecting them together sounds much easier than it actually is. Just because you are playing the same game doesn't mean you would be able to play with people on different platforms.

It's not that simple. It's more complex than that. You have to remember that both Microsoft and Sony have their own networks and services. Connecting them together sounds much easier than it actually is. Just because you are playing the same game doesn't mean you would be able to play with people on different platforms.

It actually is that simple. An endpoint is an endpoint, regardless of the transport used to pass data.

VanessaMagick

That's precisely what it means.

If PS4/XB1 had different updates, or a different engine, or something, then yeah. But it's literally the same game. It would be practically trivial.

There should be a rule where click bait topic titles should not be allowed. And would it be possible. No.

Edited by Xiled

SniperPrincess

If PS4/XB1 had different updates, or a different engine, or something, then yeah. But it's literally the same game. It would be practically trivial.

... Uh, no. That's literally like putting a PS3 disc into a PS4. It isn't compatible. People on this site have always wondered why Xbox players can't play with Playstation players. Hm, maybe because it isn't f*cking possible. Orrrr, to make you feel better, it isn't ~cUrReNtLy~ possible.

Edited by SniperPrincess

Between Xbone and PS4? Sure, it's doable as long as Sony agrees with it.

Between consoles and PC? No f*cking way, free aim would be dominated by PC users because everyone knows that mice are better for aiming than controllers, there's also this weird suspension thing that makes your cars go around the tracks faster when you have a very high framerate, wouldn't be fair if consoles are racing against PC.

... Uh, no. That's literally like putting a PS3 disc into a PS4. It isn't compatible. People on this site have always wondered why Xbox players can't play with Playstation players. Hm, maybe because it isn't f*cking possible. Orrrr, to make you feel better, it isn't ~cUrReNtLy~ possible.

It is 100% possible. I'm gonna cut this short, rather than let you drag it on. I'm a software engineer and have been doing it for over 20 years. I currently work in the field of microservices, which isn't a world away from this exact topic. I know 100% for a fact that it's possible. Hell, if there were no differences in the previous gen and current gen versions of the game then even they could join in. As long as the game is the same at both ends then it literally doesn't matter at all what platform you are on and what platform your online gaming is managed by. They're 2 computers at the end of wires, and that is all that matters.

Edited by Furry_Monkey

SniperPrincess

It is 100% possible. I'm gonna cut this short, rather than let you drag it on. I'm a software engineer and have been doing it for over 20 years. I currently work in the field of microservices, which isn't a world away from this exact topic. I know 100% for a fact that it's possible. Hell, if there were no differences in the previous gen and current gen versions of the game then even they could join in. As long as the game is the same at both ends then it literally doesn't matter at all what platform you are on and what platform your online gaming is managed by. They're 2 computers at the end of wires, and that is all that matters.

So you're going to tell me that it's possible for XB Live and PSN to join together, is that it? Two completely different networks that have their own way of doing things, not only from a business standpoint but a technical standpoint?

There's more to it than games. There's the network part.

So you're going to tell me that it's possible for XB Live and PSN to join together, is that it? Two completely different networks that have their own way of doing things, not only from a business standpoint but a technical standpoint?

There's more to it than games. There's the network part.

I know what I'm talking about. I'm not in the habit of saying things like...

I know 100% for a fact that it's possible

unless I know 100% for a fact that it's possible.

I understand why you think it's not, but you are wrong.

If I use free aim, I assume it wouldn't be possible for me to join console players, and they couldn't join me as well. And that would be a good thing.

I did read something a while ago that Microsoft & Sony were tentatively exploring the idea...

Yep it's definitely possible and has been explored. I think you will see this in future games, GTAVI maybe?

GTA.Online?

GTA.Online.uses.matchmaking.servers.to.link.people.in.a.P2P.connection.

My god, Shatner's a GTAForums member!

• Like 4

GTAO most likely has the same network protocols on each platform for the actual gameplay stuff, the only thing that's 100% differrent is the account managing/logon process. Which shouldn't be a problem.

So from a technical point of view, it's entirely possible. Problem is political issues with Sony and MS and the balancing. I've heard of a few PC/Console-Crossplatform titles, and PC-Players roasted the Console-Players.

I don't know personally but I'll take other people's word for it and assume it's possible.

It would be awesome to have Xbox and Playstation players on the same server. Not PC though, let the PC master race stay on their own servers with their mods etc.