4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

slohbur

Weapons & Items - Discussion Thread

BretMaverick777
On 9/10/2018 at 5:41 AM, NeptuneLewisGunner said:

I  agree  with  the  Merwin  revolver.  But  the  games  needs   guns from the  1890s ,  and  it  makes  no  logic  that  Mauser c96  or  Schwarlose 1898 semiautomatic pistols  should  appear  early  in  the  game, too.  Why  not  allow the  Mauser c96 as  purchasable  from  the  start  of  the game  but  have  the  Schwarlose  1898 as  a  weapon  either  that  can  be  only  purchased  in  the  advanced    zone  or  be  earned  earlier  by  helping  the  law  with  special  missions, too.  I  agree  with  not  having  the  High  Power  pistol  and  fully  automatic  German  pistol, too,. They  don't  fit  this  time  era,  too.  But  the  first  game  cheated  by  making  sem iautos  unavailable  until  after  Mexico  in  1911,  too.  The  Maxim  and  Colt  Machineguns  should  make  an  appearance.  Perhaps  an  armored  train  mission, too?  Or maybe  stealing  a  Maxim  or  Colt  from  an  armory  to  ambush  a  posse  stalking  the  gang,  also?

Cornwall's trains are armor plated, with rifle ports.  So yeah, definitely armored trains in the game.

SAS_Intruder

This is going to be my favorite topic. I am kinda gun nut although I have yet so much to learn about weapons from this era. I do hope we get many weapons, at least 10-12 handguns and as much rifles plus 5-6 different shotguns.

As for handguns, there were so many manufacturers out there and a lot of solid revolvers. Some of them are less know and some became well known even today. The one I  would like to see Remington 1875. As far as I understand,  it wasn't very popular gun but it was well made and appreciated by those who were using it. Some type of Derringer or short barrel double action revolverwould be cool as well for those times we want to dress as gentleman and visit Saint Denis.  For semi auto handguns, there is really not a lot of them prior to 1899. Mauser C96 would be one, and the other popular pistol is FN M1900 designed by John Browning . Important gun since it is the first gun to use slide, like most guns do today. I am not sure was there another  prototype pistol using slide but M1900 was first commercially successful one.

Rifles - couple of Winchesters, Henry and Evans. I am not very familiar with other types such as bolt action rifles of that time  so maybe I learn something from you guys. Also, Buffalo Rifle was probably Sharps but is there any more modern alternative to that rifle? Something long barrel,  high power yet made after 1890?

PS, Forgotten Weapons is great source of material,  I must check all of their videos related to RDR2 time period.

SAS_Intruder

I forgot to ask how would realistic be if we maybe get imported revolvers such as Webley or Nagant? They do fit time period but I am not sure how common they were in the States.

32 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

I forgot to ask how would realistic be if we maybe get imported revolvers such as Webley or Nagant? They do fit time period but I am not sure how common they were in the States.

If you watch the gameplay trailer, you'll see Arthur in the gun shop thumbing thru a catalog. I think that's a hint there will be a wide variety of firearms and customization even tho we've mostly seen Schofields and SAAs to date.

Edited by 1898

SAS_Intruder

I am not sure how to attach photos and if that is allowed but just wondering if Rockstar will get some inspiration from Unforgiven movie. There, we see some interesting weapons such as already mentioned Remington 1875, Webley Bulldog in 32 caliber  ( basically old snub nose revolver) and most interesting is Starr 1858 Army used by William Munny (Clint Eastwood ). Somewhat odd looking revolver but since it was in such a popuoar movie, I could see it in the game.

Try imgur.com to attach pics. It's free and easy. 

Here's your Starr. Just like most other pistols of the era, different barrel lengths were available. Love it, Unforgiven is probably the only movie where it was featured.

9WKgxqa.jpg

Edited by 1898

SAS_Intruder

Thank you so much! :)

WhiskeyHick

The weapon analysis in this thread is definitely one of the gems of the forum along with the geography theories posted in the landscape thread the animals and transportation threads and many others. In that vein I'll post some of the new discoveries from the latest batch of screens. Most if not all have probably already been discerned from some of our more eagle eyed members but for the sake of this thread being a database of sorts I'll compile what I know.

First here is a new holster rig setup or rather a modification to Arthur's existing rig adding a second holster in a cross draw tactic or if he's favoring his left hand a Calvary/twist draw and I'm very excited they decided to go this route. It's also the most plausible being that it won't get in the way of his bag. (Although in the fishing scene you can clearly see Dutch with a bag while keeping side by side traditional draw holsters.) It should also be noted that if one was to examine the pre order bonus of the Nuevo Paraiso outfit you can see a different holster pattern and color so we may be able to customize the look as well.

TcfB6Nw Rj4lZQF

Another wonderful piece of information is we will indeed be able to keep and use different revolvers/handguns in each holster. This isn't new info we've had Arthur carrying different handguns in some of the very first screens however it's nice to see that this is a feature still present in the beta-future build.

zASi5Je 

We can see Arthur with both a cattleman and the double action with his second holster under his coat given the way it falls on him. It also points to the Max Payne style of carry given we can mix and match different combinations/tactics such as a sawed off carried with a cattleman for different ranges. 

Another takaway I enjoyed was some further detail on Javier's engraved Double Action revolver we first spied on his character art. Notice the slight difference in butt style from art to gameplay.

fwgq7vI 1IzhSlr e1E1zvg 

Actually you can spot the revolvers hilt earlier in the first gameplay video. I'm excited to continue to see specialized weapons such as both Dutch's & Micah's revolvers with their engravings and adding Javier's to the group further solidifies the idea that we will have a variant for each weapon much like gold guns in the first game. If we only had the revolver in the trailer though I would still be satisfied I love it.

1t6tlnx hm4TUli 

Also guys I recommend checking out the internet movie firearms database imfdb.org to see where some of your favorite firearms are featured in tv, movies & video games. The Starr revolver has a nice page there. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Starr_1858_Army 

Were getting closer to gameplay trailer 2 and hopefully even more gun reveals good times guys!!

Edited by WhiskeyHick

SAS_Intruder

I am not sure about fancy looking gun in last photo you posted but isn't that Colt Tiffany or something like that? I know they had fancy named version of their revolvers, just not sure if this revolver on the photo could be it.

WhiskeyHick
On 9/18/2018 at 8:46 PM, SAS_Intruder said:

I am not sure about fancy looking gun in last photo you posted but isn't that Colt Tiffany or something like that? I know they had fancy named version of their revolvers, just not sure if this revolver on the photo could be it.

While they are definitely taking design cues from actual engraved revolvers of fame I believe we got some talented Rockstar artists on display here. These are all based on real firearms but as with all things this is rockstars interpretation. "This game is an attempt to capture this pivotal moment when the age of outlaws was ending and the modern age was born." So while these are all based meticulously no doubt on real life scans of these weapons we must keep in mind that Rockstar is going to make them their own. This can result in different rarities or firepower and even ammo count if the first red dead is any indication. (Mauser 15 rounds) They go generally with gameplay over stark realism and have even commented as such during interviews.

This is a good reference find tho!! Those are some fancy firearms. It may be a 1 to 1 recreation I just got a feeling R* has their brush stroke on it.Also it's good to remember that we've seen two varieties of the double action revolver with the gta online variant and Javier's and possibly two schofields. This would indicate that they are skins and perhaps not different named variations of the same firearm but who knows. 

Edited by WhiskeyHick

SAS_Intruder

I found interesting article about engraved Colt SAA specially ordered by Sears and Roebuck catalog company. In 2009, it was sold for 747 500 dollars. See link for full article.

http://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader-news/rare_colt_revolver_sells_for_747500_dollars

Some of the engravings on Colt 1892 in previous photos seem to be inspired by this custom version of Colt SAA.

SAS_Intruder

Ian from Forgotten Weapons just did video on semi automatic pistols of 1800s, like he secretly know about this topic. Link below 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igi3y3bgAHQ

To summarize,  based on popularity and functionality,  it seems we can expect to see 3 semi auto handguns. Mauser C96, FN M1900 and Luger M1899. For balance purpose,  these guns should be fast to reload with high fire rate but less damage and accuracy compared to let's say, Colt SAA.

Edited by SAS_Intruder

SAS_Intruder

Also, I did read about first semi auto shotguns, commercially successful ones. It seems that Browning did come up with his shotgun Auto-5 in 1898, so from that standpoint,  it would fit in the game. However,  he couldn't find manufacturer right away so first real production was by FN in 1902. Now, I am not sure how others would feel about having his shotgun in the game, but personally,  I wouldn't mind. 

18 hours ago, SAS_Intruder said:

I found interesting article about engraved Colt SAA specially ordered by Sears and Roebuck catalog company. In 2009, it was sold for 747 500 dollars. See link for full article.

http://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader-news/rare_colt_revolver_sells_for_747500_dollars

Some of the engravings on Colt 1892 in previous photos seem to be inspired by this custom version of Colt SAA.

Interesting story, I wonder if that's the record for a firearm.   

Edit - NOPE

Amazing, Mel Torme "anguished" over whether to buy it for $750. 

Edited by 1898

SAS_Intruder

That is some serious money for that handgun, just shows how much craftsmanship from our history can be appreciated today. 

SAS_Intruder
2 hours ago, tsycho said:

This page has a list of handguns and rifles (147 different firearms, with pictures) from 1800 -1899 which could give us a very good impression, of the guns R* could put in the game.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/guns-1800-1899.asp

This is great source. I just found out that Smith and Wesson Model 10 would fit in the game. Had no idea, I was sure it was only developed later, like 1910 or something like that. Although similar to Colt 1892 , I would still like to see Smith and Wesson as well, since I like them a lot.

SAS_Intruder

Based on new information it seems that:

1. We will be able to buy custom ammo and different holsters which prolong life of our weapon-keeping it in good condition 

2. Weapons can be cleaned and we can do so by buying an oil from gunsmith. 

3. Pressing attack button once will fire the round, pressing it second time will pull the hammer or eject the round if it is a rifle.

4. Arthur will be able to carry only 2 handguns and 1 long rifle. This makes me really happy and it seems to be system similar to Max Payne. I really appreciate realism like that. Hope we see the same in Online since it will force players to tactically think about what kind of weapon to bring based on the environment and their proficiency with certain weapon. Pulling 30 different weapons out of your butt like in GTA was annoying. 

There is so much more news about new features  that are not about the weapons but they make game so much realistic that am so much hyped for this game like I never was before. One hint, we can shave our beard but then, we have to wait for it to grow if we want to have a beard again. Brilliant. 

Edit. It seems that weapons can misfire and aside from cosmetics,  that is another reason to clean them regularly.  I am lost for words reading all these news with little detail. This is going to be best game ever, most likely. 

Edited by SAS_Intruder

BretMaverick777

SAS_Intruder

Anyone know what kind of rifle is that in the screenshot? It looks like it has really short barrel. 

koeklin

A summary:

FBuDEdn.jpgscBxEeO.jpg

NeptuneLewisGunner
On 9/20/2018 at 2:44 PM, BretMaverick777 said:

yUFHWFC.jpg

Thank  you  for  confirming  the  Maxim Gun!

On 9/18/2018 at 12:42 PM, SAS_Intruder said:

This is going to be my favorite topic. I am kinda gun nut although I have yet so much to learn about weapons from this era. I do hope we get many weapons, at least 10-12 handguns and as much rifles plus 5-6 different shotguns.

As for handguns, there were so many manufacturers out there and a lot of solid revolvers. Some of them are less know and some became well known even today. The one I  would like to see Remington 1875. As far as I understand,  it wasn't very popular gun but it was well made and appreciated by those who were using it. Some type of Derringer or short barrel double action revolverwould be cool as well for those times we want to dress as gentleman and visit Saint Denis.  For semi auto handguns, there is really not a lot of them prior to 1899. Mauser C96 would be one, and the other popular pistol is FN M1900 designed by John Browning . Important gun since it is the first gun to use slide, like most guns do today. I am not sure was there another  prototype pistol using slide but M1900 was first commercially successful one.

Rifles - couple of Winchesters, Henry and Evans. I am not very familiar with other types such as bolt action rifles of that time  so maybe I learn something from you guys. Also, Buffalo Rifle was probably Sharps but is there any more modern alternative to that rifle? Something long barrel,  high power yet made after 1890?

PS, Forgotten Weapons is great source of material,  I must check all of their videos related to RDR2 time period.

The  Schwarlosze  1898  could  be  a self  loader, here.  If  I  can,  I'll  scarf  two auto loaders  and  a  Winchester 1892  and  be  clam-happy, too.

TYGR INFINITE

Image result for colt 1851Hopefully there's a few classic percussion weapons included like this colt 1851 navy

tsycho
54 minutes ago, TYGR INFINITE said:

Image result for colt 1851Hopefully there's a few classic percussion weapons included like this colt 1851 navy

If this artwork - on which Micah is holding a Colt M1861 navy (or similar model) - is accurate, we'll have those types of revolvers.

rhrh.jpg1200px-Colt_Navy_Model_1861.JPG

SAS_Intruder

The more the merrier :D

SAS_Intruder

Ok, I am not sure if anyone caught this before, but I was watching some Youtube video about RDR2 and guy was showing some random screenshots while talking about the game. Well, in one of those screenshots we can seecArthur browsing catalog with weapons and he was looking at H&R , which should be Harrington and Richardson,  company that was making revolvers in late 1800s. Even today, there is a cartridge in 32 caliber called .32H&R Magnum ,that can be used in some revolvers such as Rugers LCR 327 Magnum or Ruger SP101 327 Magnum. Does this confirms gun manufacturers will be real?

Anyway, here is the link below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gdFef9ehU and stop the video at 4:02, you can clearly see multiple revolvers, such as Target model with long barrel or Young America, short barrel revolver good for concealed carry. What is even more interesting,  there is a pocket knife/gun in the game! 

Is there someone who could take screenshot, maybe enhance it to see the details and post it here? I will try with my phone but not sure if I can get ti.

Edited by SAS_Intruder

tsycho
9 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

Ok, I am not sure if anyone caught this before, but I was watching some Youtube video about RDR2 and guy was showing some random screenshots while talking about the game. Well, in one of those screenshots we can seecArthur browsing catalog with weapons and he was looking at H&R , which should be Harrington and Richardson,  company that was making revolvers in late 1800s. Even today, there is a cartridge in 32 caliber called .32H&R Magnum ,that can be used in some revolvers such as Rugers LCR 327 Magnum or Ruger SP101 327 Magnum. Does this confirms gun manufacturers will be real?

Anyway, here is the link below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gdFef9ehU and stop the video at 4:02, you can clearly see multiple revolvers, such as Target model with long barrel or Young America, short barrel revolver good for concealed carry. What is even more interesting,  there is a pocket knife/gun in the game! 

Is there someone who could take screenshot, maybe enhance it to see the details and post it here? I will try with my phone but not sure if I can get ti.

Dude, don't wanna disappoint you, but... I think he just showed some old catalogs he found online as examples how the ingame catalog could look. Pretty sure this is not from the game.

EDIT: Just google something like "wild west gun catalog" and you will find this pic (it reads Catalogue for 1930...", so it can't be from the game) he used in his video:

tbbb.jpg

Edited by tsycho

SAS_Intruder

Omg, I hate these youtubers. I am at work so I couldn't pay attention to everything in the video but I assumed guy was using real screenshots. My bad. Ignore the post if that's the case .

tsycho
5 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

Omg, I hate these youtubers. I am at work so I couldn't pay attention to everything in the video but I assumed guy was using real screenshots. My bad. Ignore the post if that's the case .

Don't worry, amigo. Could happen to everyone of us :)

SAS_Intruder

Well, I feel sooo stupid. It just was too good to be true.