4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

slohbur

Weapons & Items - Discussion Thread

berzelmayr
On 6/8/2018 at 2:47 PM, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Do you think we will see this beautiful weapon in the game? (Remington 1858)

Afaik it was not in Red Dead Redemption if I haven’t completely missed it. It’s so goddamn pretty, loving the 8-sided barrel for example.

Remington1858-1.jpg

A Remington Model 1875 Single Action Army would be nice, too.

1280px-Remington_1875_Revolver.jpg

Edited by berzelmayr

RobboWarrior2
On 6/8/2018 at 7:47 AM, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Do you think we will see this beautiful weapon in the game? (Remington 1858)

Afaik it was not in Red Dead Redemption if I haven’t completely missed it. It’s so goddamn pretty, loving the 8-sided barrel for example.

Remington1858-1.jpg

I have one of these IRL, it is really nice! I would love if they added it to the game.

Thor Shreddington
On 11/3/2016 at 6:47 PM, BretMaverick777 said:

Pretty sure the Maxim gun would be anachronistic before the 1900s, but Civil War era artillery and heavy weapons should be available for the biggest big ol' firefights.

Actually, dude, the Maxim Gun was invented in 1884 and was in common use worldwide by 1886! Not only that, but we have confirmation that the agency that is basically the Pinkertons uses them! I saw it in a post where @INFERNO E100 pointed out that Dead Eye highlights vital organs like the heart and brain! Which is just plain badassery!

yDisUOW.jpg

Andy Badwool

I'm putting together a list of all confirmed weapons, along with all HD screenshots associated to them (secret link which is not public yet, as you can see it's still a work in progress: https://www.gtabase.com/red-dead-redemption-2/weapons/)...

Did I miss any?

Thor Shreddington

One small detail that always bugged the piss out of me in RDR1, was that the "Cattleman Revolver" was soooo weak! It's a freakin' Colt Peacemaker! Those babies are usually chambered in .45LC. That's a BEAST of a cartridge. It always felt like a .380 in RDR1. I'm hoping the larger caliber bullets hit HARD in this game. And some realistic damage wouldn't be too much to ask. You shoot a guy with a Colt SSA he's down and out of the fight. It'd be cool if you could gut or lung shot a guy and he'd crawl away and bleed out.

MarlboroMan1995

All this talk about the guns and nobody has hardly mentioned the bows...

Mirokunite
13 hours ago, Thor Shreddington said:

One small detail that always bugged the piss out of me in RDR1, was that the "Cattleman Revolver" was soooo weak! It's a freakin' Colt Peacemaker! Those babies are usually chambered in .45LC. That's a BEAST of a cartridge. It always felt like a .380 in RDR1. I'm hoping the larger caliber bullets hit HARD in this game. And some realistic damage wouldn't be too much to ask. You shoot a guy with a Colt SSA he's down and out of the fight. It'd be cool if you could gut or lung shot a guy and he'd crawl away and bleed out.

In this game the revolver round of choice would be a 44-40 given that was the original rifle pistol combo round. Interesting fact the Volcanic Pistol should be really weak. Given its about as powerful as a .25. As for the .380; don't underestimate it. Ammo has come a long way for it and as a ccw platform it has a proven track record. As for people crawling away and bleeding out the cops in gtav certainly had that ai. Hell the cops would even try to pull other cops out of the line of fire.

Edited by Mirokunite
Ree

14 hours ago, Thor Shreddington said:

Amen to ALL that.

Then to add insult to injury, the gun we leveled up to was the LeMat which in reality was a crap gun. It was a cap & ball revolver which I don't think was ever converted to cartridge. About 3000 were sold. The number of Peacemakers and clones sold (and still being sold) is incalculable.

Mirokunite
1 hour ago, 1898 said:

Amen to ALL that.

Then to add insult to injury, the gun we leveled up to was the LeMat which in reality was a crap gun. It was a cap & ball revolver which I don't think was ever converted to cartridge

They made pinfire and centerfire cartridge varieties. They're rare but exist. Also the kicker with the LeMat was its shotgun barrel under the pistol barrel. The only real complaints about the LeMat was the weird ball size (later fixed), the shotgun kicked like a mule, and couldn't be made (or shipped) to the Confederate side in any high numbers. Confederate officers certainly loved it.

A case of a 'great' idea but poor execution. Anyone then would've loved to have a nine shot revolver with a underbarrel shotgun. But in practice it had some hangups.

1 hour ago, Mirokunite said:

They made pinfire and centerfire cartridge varieties. They're rare but exist. Also the kicker with the LeMat was its shotgun barrel under the pistol barrel. The only real complaints about the LeMat was the weird ball size (later fixed), the shotgun kicked like a mule, and couldn't be made (or shipped) to the Confederate side in any high numbers. Confederate officers certainly loved it.

A case of a 'great' idea but poor execution. Anyone then would've loved to have a nine shot revolver with a underbarrel shotgun. But in practice it had some hangups.

Ok, yeah I knew about the shotgun but didn't recall a centerfire version.

Also, that grip angle always looks a bit off to me.

Edited by 1898

Flannelmagic1
14 hours ago, MarlboroMan1995 said:

All this talk about the guns and nobody has hardly mentioned the bows...

I wonder if the bow is only going to be useful when hunting and perhaps also in some stealth missions. Bringing a bow to a gunfight doesn't seem to be the best idea but it depends on how realistic they make it. I'm very excited to use the bow though, one of few things I really missed in RDR. 

geordr

We are able to dual whield in this game.

There is also the element of gun customization.

This means that we are probably not limited to own only one piece of each gun model like in RDR1 or GTAV.

So, maybe you can own several pieces of the same weapon and customize each one differently or sale the ones you don't need?

Thor Shreddington
8 hours ago, geordr said:

We are able to dual whield in this game.

There is also the element of gun customization.

This means that we are probably not limited to own only one piece of each gun model like in RDR1 or GTAV.

So, maybe you can own several pieces of the same weapon and customize each one differently or sale the ones you don't need?

I'd love a nickel plated, ivory handled 45 I'll name Heaven and a blued, ebony handled 45 I'll call Hell.

Thor Shreddington

Here ya go my fellow gun nuts! This is an interesting documentary on the evolution of the gunfighter. Maybe a bit of insight into what else we may see, and some interesting facts about the times and technology.

Mirokunite
42 minutes ago, Thor Shreddington said:

Here ya go my fellow gun nuts! This is an interesting documentary on the evolution of the gunfighter. Maybe a bit of insight into what else we may see, and some interesting facts about the times and technology.

f*cking loved Tales of the Gun. Along with The Real West "which basically started the History Channel". Hell even Wild West Tech was alright.

There's also the Gunslingers series on AHC. You may be able to watch them here - LINK

If you can only watch one, watch Bass Reeves.

Mirokunite
3 hours ago, 1898 said:

There's also the Gunslingers series on AHC. You may be able to watch them here - LINK

If you can only watch one, watch Bass Reeves.

Also a good series.

DustlnTheWind

Was it ever confirmed that choosing different engraving patterns is how we will customize gun stats?  Can't really do too much with the time period (RDS, modified stocks, etc)

ivarblaauw
On 8/30/2018 at 2:39 AM, DustlnTheWind said:

Was it ever confirmed that choosing different engraving patterns is how we will customize gun stats?  Can't really do too much with the time period (RDS, modified stocks, etc)

Different caliber bullets, different barrel, speed trigger or one which is more powerful. 

I think we can customize it this way: Either focus on speed, less recoil, power/ammotype (damage), distance or combination. 

By this everyone can make their own gun for how they play. 

ThereIsNoBathroom

Volcanic Pistol

DlPA1CzXcAAg0z6.jpgÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ volcanic pistol

Edited by ThereIsNoBathroom

BretMaverick777

Not that they'd be worth a damn in actual gameplay, but do y'all think Derringers will be in the game?  At least as a holdout, especially for NPCs and a (more or less) civilian's gun? 

WhiskeyHick
On 8/23/2018 at 10:18 AM, 1898 said:

Ok, yeah I knew about the shotgun but didn't recall a centerfire version.

Also, that grip angle always looks a bit off to me.

I can't let an opportunity to give a shoutout to forgottenweapons.com pass me by! There are more versions (and sizes/calibers) of the lemat then most people realize! 

rJ2UaDF 

Heres one in a very nice series of videos detailing the lematt cartridge variant, true to the artistry of French gunsmiths this is a beautiful complicated beast with even a rare shotgun cartridge developed for it. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/lemat-centerfire-pistol-and-carbine-at-ria/ I've always had a love for the gun and one of my favorite western graphic novels Jodorowsky & Boucq's one armed Bouncer carries both versions of the weapon to give him the advantage in gunfighting. 

1mmqQBceA0AzOa

I sincerely hope Rockstar developers see the potential in including this historic weapon, which should be a given as it was included in the first redemption. I'd love them to include the centerfire for simple ease of reloading and of course the rarity of it. Beautiful gun for a beautiful game.

PuKlesW 

8 hours ago, WhiskeyHick said:

I've always had a love for the gun and one of my favorite western graphic novels Jodorowsky & Boucq's one armed Bouncer carries both versions of the weapon to give him the advantage in gunfighting. 

1mmqQBc

"Good a time as any to comfort them...Good a day as any to die"

Sounds to me like he wishes he was carrying a Remmy or  a Colt.

When searching Old West photos there's reason you have to dig deep to find anyone carrying a Le Mat. Reliability was the number one concern.

But I do like the one at the bottom, lots of steampunk vibe, looks pretty heavy.  Maybe some feedback convinced them to alter that grip angle.

WhiskeyHick

Not to detract from the threads purpose of being a RDR weapon hub but I think it's fair to point out that many new and experimental weapons escaped mass appeal simply because of outside circumstances and not exactly defects. The early colts were also a bit of a Russian roulette when it came to cycling at times but Samuel Colt must have been a believer in manifest destiny because by his brilliant if albeit destructive walker, army contracts and legal lynching he made his company the foremost in weapon production for its time and many other designs if they didn't fold under colt were simply left behind in the expenses of productions and further development. Just look at where the company is now without his iron hand holding the wheel.

One such company is Merwin Hulbert & CO. Their cam work and design I believe was the superior revolver of the era and if it was my personal choice I would carry one of their revolvers as a first draw with possibly a Remington as back up. (solid frame design amen!) The carefully hand machined design is flawless with older finds still having the cam vacuum. While schofields have their excellent cartridge extraction they also make certain frame sacrifices and and the genius of the M & H revolver is that it keeps frame integrity, extracts the shells, and any unfired rounds are retained within the cylinder. There are some YouTube videos of old finds being shot on a range with the accuracy being deadon with other firearms in the class. 

9fF7u7d 

As usual Ian at forgotten weapons has a very good breakdown of the mechanic. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ria-merwin-hulbert-revolvers/ You also may have noticed the weapon if you've seen Bone Tomahawk. As for the lemat yes it's cap and ball premier outing has a steeper handle and a heavy frame but it maintains accuracy because of this and less then 500 made it into America. Granted that center barrel is a misfire waiting to happen and it is cumbersome but within a video game world I believe you gotta go with the fun aspect and just have some badass firearms. I hope the devs include the Merwin Hulbert down the line and make it the same as the cattleman but perhaps give it a reload boost in a nod to its design. I don't want them to include every prototype of the 1800s, hell even if they only included the armory from the first game I'd be more then happy I just want a cattleman and a Winchester but should they be scraping the barrel for ideas a few years ahead these are some good ideas. 

Also as far as personal firearms go all bets are off until the C96 Mauser and John Moses Browning. 😉CKQtqqa

Edit: Should note that I do love some colts, the single action army is a revelation just ask Ocelot. 😁

Edited by WhiskeyHick

WhiskeyHick

With the new release of exceptional gang artwork we have some much needed weapon clarifications. 

We've known for a while that the 1866 "yellow boy" Winchester rifle would have a presence thanks to screenshots such as these. 

rL77I4x mQejidc

However one could argue these are simply the Henry rifle as we can't get an accurate look at the loading gate but that has all changed with the new artwork!

GvTnM83 JIGCdFq

Here we can see the premier rifle that really started cementing the Winchester Rifle Company's future moving away from the Henry system and into Nelson Kings new loading gate idea while still using Henry's .44 rimfire cartridge. Here's some further detail from the ultimate edition preorders. 

SPQLsoT 

VLH9KOP

Now let's move onto the next much needed revelation the artwork provided namely a higher tier winchester! Something I was quietly hoping for was different year incarnations of the Winchester since their were many different variants with different ammo some more iconic then others and low and behold Rockstar delivered. Before we only had this obscure glimpse to guess on as far as the rifle variant. 

Su8cQ7p 

Hosea Matthews with his world weary quote revealed finally the iconic Winchester you, me and the Wild West knows and trusts.

4kbaICB LE1d6uK

This one was a bit harder to nail down and I believe Rockstar combined a few different models compare the 1873 and the 1892. g40XH9xenOm5On

I think they are going the legends of the west route and choosing the 1873. My reasoning relates to gameplay but I'll get to that later. "This rifle used .44 Winchester Center Fire cartridge (known more commonly today as the .44-40). This cartridge kept the 200 grain bullet from the .44Henry Rimfire round, but used a brass case (as opposed to copper) and was able to increase the powder charge from 28 grains to 40, for a substantial increase in velocity." https://www.forgottenweapons.com/winchester-lever-action-development-model-1873/ They explain the rifle better then I could and it's good to source. 

What does this all mean for gameplay? We can expect at least 2 variants for lever action rifles located at different tiers with the "yellow boy" perhaps being a lower starting rifle then the 1873. Hosea being a senior member of the gang equated with Dutch, the fact he's holding this rifle means it's a step up. Dutch, Javier & Micah have tooled variants of their weapons signifying these are better then normal. (Whether we have access to them is another matter) So that's also why I think it's an 1873 in idea because it's a step up in firepower.

There were some other weapon revelations but those can be saved for another time or poster, until then outlaws to the end!

Edited by WhiskeyHick

WhiskeyHick
On 8/13/2018 at 7:47 AM, Groggy Gorilla said:

10e3aed2ace81f4f8cad6dce220dac61.jpg

Can any firearms experts shed light on what kind of pistol this is? Almost looks like a flintlock! 

At first glance, I thought it was a sawed-off, but it doesn't quite look like a sawed-off.

Edit: Maybe it really is a sawed-off. Someone help!

On 8/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, WhiskeyHick said:

I'm no gun expert but that is definitely a sawed off! 

QcQPKWb 

FIrst check out its barrel length extending past the holster and compare it with any image of a revolver we've seen so far, you'll notice that it's way longer.

Second check out its double trigger setup, its hard to see in this image my apologies but it's there.

Third it's hammer design is reminiscent of a late 1870s colt design for their shotguns. Note that distinctive curl "mule's ear" and now compare these details with the photo below.

100_5853.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

It does look smaller then other sawed offs we've seen in previous trailers but that may point to a wide variation of weapon types within categories we will have to wait and see!

In any event good find!!

I thought that @Groggy Gorilla made too good a find to be ignored. We've been teased with the sawed off shotgun before but there had been speculation as to how we might carry it. In RDR1 we carried it as a long arm and in some screenshots we could see Charles carrying it with a specially designedly holster but here we can see it simply works with our existing rig.

What does that mean for gameplay? Should dual holsters become a configuration we will be able to dual wield ala Max Payne or mix and match depending on the encounter we're planning on. If we're only able to carry the one then we can plan accordingly with perhaps a long arm such as a Winchester for faraway and the same off for up close. You can see how even with realistic inventory mechanics R* is still making us a walking arsenal. 

Edited by WhiskeyHick

9 hours ago, WhiskeyHick said:

I thought that @Groggy Gorilla made too good a find to be ignored. We've been teased with the sawed off shotgun before but there had been speculation as to how we might carry it. In RDR1 we carried it as a long arm and in some screenshots we could see Charles carrying it with a specially designedly holster but here we can see it simply works with our existing rig.

I hadn't noticed that one either but with the barrel length, exposed hammers (I think) and grip, I think this is take on the Howdah which is a muzzleloader.

Here's a nice reproduction by Pedersoli and a description of their original purpose which will surprise anyone that's not familiar with them - LINK

And here's Hickock45

Edited by 1898

As for the typical revolver/lever rifle setup, they usually carried pistols and rifles that fired the same cartridge. Keep it simple, no need to fumble around with different ammo pouches. Of course the long-range rifles, different story.

It's fine if they want to bring back the Lemat, but it should be the gun you level up from, not to. There's no way it could be fired/reloaded faster and have more "power" than the Smiths and Colts.

NeptuneLewisGunner

I  agree  with  the  Merwin  revolver.  But  the  games  needs   guns from the  1890s ,  and  it  makes  no  logic  that  Mauser c96  or  Schwarlose 1898 semiautomatic pistols  should  appear  early  in  the  game, too.  Why  not  allow the  Mauser c96 as  purchasable  from  the  start  of  the game  but  have  the  Schwarlose  1898 as  a  weapon  either  that  can  be  only  purchased  in  the  advanced    zone  or  be  earned  earlier  by  helping  the  law  with  special  missions, too.  I  agree  with  not  having  the  High  Power  pistol  and  fully  automatic  German  pistol, too,. They  don't  fit  this  time  era,  too.  But  the  first  game  cheated  by  making  sem iautos  unavailable  until  after  Mexico  in  1911,  too.  The  Maxim  and  Colt  Machineguns  should  make  an  appearance.  Perhaps  an  armored  train  mission, too?  Or maybe  stealing  a  Maxim  or  Colt  from  an  armory  to  ambush  a  posse  stalking  the  gang,  also?