4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Kirsty

Animal Spotting

joshua969

giphy.gif

So..don't walk carelessly near the bayou edge, got it.

Boone_Tuva

Horse confirmed, obviously, but not sure if it's pointed out the variation of horse breeds found in game. Not sure if the horse on the right is a clydesdale or some other draft horse breed but look how much more stocky and built it is compared to the more common horse on the left.

ZxqOQZI.png

Same comparison with stocky horse on right compared to the other horse in the shot, look at those haunches! Possibly the same horse.

F6nsRVF.png

Tall Trees Sasquatch

^^^

Good eye, that actually something I really wanted in a new Red Dead. Different horse breeds that weren't just recolours but actual different shapes and sizes.

Red Dead Rebel

^^^

Good eye, that actually something I really wanted in a new Red Dead. Different horse breeds that weren't just recolours but actual different shapes and sizes.

Pretty sure RDR1 had different shapes and sizes for horses though.

Tall Trees Sasquatch

^^^

Pretty sure RDR1 had different shapes and sizes for horses though.

It had healthy horses and sickly skinny horses and that was it. I'm talking about different shapes and sizes for healthy horses.

_Complexity

Exactly, like a quarter horse... they have huge rear ends, and a thicker build. Stallions are just huge and muscular in general not being gelded and all, so thier physical apperaence should be way more of a stand out then it was in RDR1. And diffirent types of horse behavior would be a good thing to add. Like if you dont take the time to really break your horse and work with it, and feed it then it shouldnt perform as well as a horse that has all that care. Just an idea

Edited by _Complexity

ivarblaauw

I am gonna go for a Grizzly hunt with my mates definitely. I hope they are even stronger than before! Still scares the crap out of me when I suddenly get mauled from behind xD

About bisons/buffalo. Per country they mean a different thing. In my country the buffalo is somesort of ox and the bison well... the buffalo. I have no idea why xD

Anyone noticed a moose? I really hope we will see those in the game.

MojoGamer

Horse's ballsack confirmed, but it blurred out for those sensitive to mature video games.

Om7SXnl.png0_0.jpgTrevor likes

Edited by MojoGamer

Johnson Johnson

Looks like a rabbit at the beggining of trailer 2

Edited by Johnson Johnson

SeniorDerp

Young buffalo next to parent? Or a family of them?

ikKa9Wj.jpg

Edited by SeniorDerp

PapaFuerte

That might be a baby bison, it's going to be interesting to see how much they improved on the animals and the whole environment. Another thing that adds to the hype is that rdr 2 will be more of an emersive environment. Rdr was great but more so because of story, the thing that took away from the game imo was the feel that you were in a glass ball, like a one of those snow globes.. so seeing the world it's gets me even more excited because R always starts with the world and builds around that.

Yelda

ikKa9Wj.jpg

looks very much like it ... and if you come too close to the little one ... Daddy would be very angry :panic:

djb204

giphy.gif

So..don't walk carelessly near the bayou edge, got it.

Those would be interesting jump scares. Hopefull We get the gators in Online free Roam too. It would be funny as hell to see a friend get clamped on out of the blue lol

Edited by djb204

J.Dillinger Blackheart

ikKa9Wj.jpg

looks very much like it ... and if you come too close to the little one ... Daddy would be very angry :panic:

Or Mommy huh? Hunting looks like it will be interesting for sure. It wont just as easy as riding right up to a deer and shooting them. even in the trailer, as soon as Arthur fires the bow, the deer takes off.

SeniorDerp

ikKa9Wj.jpg

Or Mommy huh? Hunting looks like it will be interesting for sure. It wont just as easy as riding right up to a deer and shooting them. even in the trailer, as soon as Arthur fires the bow, the deer takes off.

Maybe now the animals that used to just wander around will attack you if you get too close to their young. Make the hunt a little more interesting. I know in RDR I never really cared to hunt the Buffalo because it was like shooting fish in a barrel. You ride up as fast as possible, go into deadeye and then shoot 6 in the head.

J.Dillinger Blackheart

Hell yea, hunting was boring and tasteless imo. Even with wolves and bears, you didn't feel like prey. There just wasn't any real suspense or thrill to finding & killing them. I'm sure hunting will be improved tho and a bit more in depth.

Hunter S. Compton

I’ve never really thought about but you’re totally right. I only ever genuinely felt threatened around otherwise very threatening animals when there were like 3 at once or if a mountain lion attacked me from off camera.

SeniorDerp

Right, with the exception of the mountain lion, bears, a pack of wolves or a warthog there was about no threat from the animals.

Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t want that crazy Far Cry type sh*t where you stand still 5 seconds and birds start dive bombing you lol

Yelda

56ck9aok.jpg

Insects
In RDR we didn´t see them, but
they annoyed Marston and he tried to hit them ... :D

I'm also surprised how many different horse colors there are. Also with different markings on face and legs.
and it also seems to give the three different horse types ... warmblood (riding), draft horses (wagon) and maybe thoroughbred (long legs?!)?

Colors that I found:
- black (lasso; 2. Trailer)
- sorrel/chestnut (gang member, 1. Trailer)
- bay/brown (Arthur´s horse 2. Trailer/Screenshots)
- buckskin/dun (gang member, 1. Trailer)
- palomino (Arthur´s horse, Screenshots)
- red roan (City; Screenshots)

- blue roan/grullo (gang member, 1 Trailer)
- cremello/white (Dutch´s horse)
- gray (Girl´s horse, Screenshots)
- bay overo (Arthur´s horse, 2. Trailer)
- gray with black spots/Appaloosa (man with horse; 1. Trailer)

Edited by Yelda

ARTHUR.
The absolute highlight during the demo is the wildlife for us. While Arthur's ride through the game world, we see foxes whizzing through the undergrowth, frogs leaping around the riverbank, ducks fluttering in the air as we pass by, a charcoal ruined house is battling us with bats, and as a coronation roars on the river bank Grizzly on us, Arthur barely escapes. There were 38 species of animals in the predecessor, Red Dead Redemption 2 will clearly beat that again, including with alligators in the wetlands of the game. But the fauna is not only more diverse, but also interacts with each other much more mature. For example, it is possible to observe predators hunting or scavengers (such as vultures) plunge into the remains of dead animals.

https://www.gamepro.de/artikel/red-dead-redemption-2-rockstars-beste-open-world,3329147.html

-Final paragraph

EVOLUT7ON
Posted (edited)

The absolute highlight during the demo is the wildlife for us. While Arthur's ride through the game world, we see foxes whizzing through the undergrowth, frogs leaping around the riverbank, ducks fluttering in the air as we pass by, a charcoal ruined house is battling us with bats, and as a coronation roars on the river bank Grizzly on us, Arthur barely escapes. There were 38 species of animals in the predecessor, Red Dead Redemption 2 will clearly beat that again, including with alligators in the wetlands of the game. But the fauna is not only more diverse, but also interacts with each other much more mature. For example, it is possible to observe predators hunting or scavengers (such as vultures) plunge into the remains of dead animals.

https://www.gamepro.de/artikel/red-dead-redemption-2-rockstars-beste-open-world,3329147.html

-Final paragraph

Definitely the most exciting part for me... I hope RDR Online will have these things as well...

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

WhiteGalaxy

Mysterious black mass in this tree. Maybe an Owl. Will be cool if we can look up at trees in the darkness of night and see those glow in the dark Owl eyes staring back at us.

O3WvHRp.png​

Dee.

Thats the predator

philley

Its a monkey.

Boone_Tuva
Posted (edited)

"skinned squirrels and rabbits – those are preserved and kept in your satchel" - IGN's HOW ROCKSTAR IS MAKING ITS OPEN WORLDS EVEN BETTER

There was speculation on the prey in the scene from the first trailer with the marten/fisher taking down a smaller animal (most speculated it being a squirrel), regardless of that scene it seems squirrels are confirmed and can be hunted.

Edited by Boone_Tuva

Boone_Tuva

A few new animals from the screenshots.

Mallard Ducks

srrUQey.png

Rabbit

WNhdXJf.png

Wolf

axPzaTn.png

Fluffy Sock

Wolf

axPzaTn.png

Looks more like a fox or coyote to me.

MostWantedMVP

Animals are the most interesting aspect of a Red Dead game. RDR there were over 30. II is going to have so much more. Owls and insects are confirmed. :)

"Different from the daytime are the sound of insects at night, the owl's cry, the direction of the environmental changes emerging in the moonlight. The wilderness in the night will be much more dangerous than during the day"

Boone_Tuva
Posted (edited)

Wolf

axPzaTn.png

Looks more like a fox or coyote to me.

You could very well be right, the more I look at it the more it seems to be a toss-up. My thinking was that coyotes fur isn't usually as bushy as the one pictured, but I guess I'm more used to the coyotes out west who tend to be a bit more sleeker than their northern/eastern counterparts. The coloring could be seen looks as having red hue, but that could just be the lighting of the scene.

Edit: The snout/nose is too wide to be a fox, theirs are much more narrow and pointy.

Edited by Boone_Tuva

EVOLUT7ON

I bet we will see the snakes again :) maybe even more than one type...