• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

Río del Lobo?  

5 hours ago, Fluffy Sock said:

I expect a lot of caves to explore around there.

Prospecting is probably going to be premium there, too.   Lots of untapped gold veins.    Some of those remote lakes will probably have the best fishing, too, since Arthur will likely be one of the first anglers to reach them.  

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Mirokunite said:

I'm sure the Houser's probably don't go here. But I'm sure some rank and file people from testers to designers have at least seen what we've done with the GTAV map by using our collective autism abilities.

I'm sure many developers hang on forums like this one and reddit in their spare time just for fun. I definitely would just to see all the speculation and laugh at how wrong we are and be impressed when we actually get something right. It'll be very interesting to see how we did once we actually get to play the game. Not that I've ever contributed in this thread. I suck at this stuff, but it's fascinating to see you guys at work.

• Like 1

Has anybody here done a semi-transparent overlay of the original RDR map adjusted to scale over the leaked map? I'm interested to see if northern Cholla Springs is visible on the leaked map but I don't have the photoshop skills to do it myself. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I chucked my map in a 3D engine and created a displacement map, with tessellation. Looks kinda cool seeing it in 3D. It's not that accurate, but still nice to see the map in that way.

Ai0YHuI.jpg

Very nice. Is there any way you could make manual alterations to elevations? We know Cumberland Forest is on a plateau of some kind and there are cliffs over the borders with the Heartlands. Given with what we've seen of the two very revealing landscape shots of Horseshoe Overlook(twice now) and southern Roanoke Ridge, we could make a relatively accurate 3d model of at least those regions.

Just now, Sausache said:

Very nice. Is there any way you could make manual alterations to elevations? We know Cumberland Forest is on a plateau of some kind and there are cliffs over the borders with the Heartlands. Given with what we've seen of the two very revealing landscape shots of Horseshoe Overlook(twice now) and southern Roanoke Ridge, we could make a relatively accurate 3d model of at least those regions.

Yeah i can play with the model manually. Will have another look at it later.

19 minutes ago, paddymcg said:

Has anybody here done a semi-transparent overlay of the original RDR map adjusted to scale over the leaked map? I'm interested to see if northern Cholla Springs is visible on the leaked map but I don't have the photoshop skills to do it myself. 

Something like this I found via Google?

Re-dead-overlay-map.jpg

34 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

Went in manually and tweaked it a little.

asZZGFm.jpg

I imagine you can rotate that map...can you take a 2 or 3 images from only SLIGHTLY different angles and create an animated gif that helps show depth? Kinda like those old animated daguerreotypes from the Civil War? Like these:

Spoiler

or like these I made of a buddy of mine, as proof that he had traveled back in time in his wheelchair?

Spoiler

yryDYDg.gif[/img]

wqHFDmk.gif[/img]

EDIT: If you're too busy, if you can provide me with the images, I can create the GIFs. What am I gonna do, work? <laughter>

Edited by Chinese Takeout
4 hours ago, TechDevil said:

I'm sure many developers hang on forums like this one and reddit in their spare time just for fun. I definitely would just to see all the speculation and laugh at how wrong we are and be impressed when we actually get something right. It'll be very interesting to see how we did once we actually get to play the game. Not that I've ever contributed in this thread. I suck at this stuff, but it's fascinating to see you guys at work.

If you have time - it's fun to go on the equivalent GTA V thread and see how the map there was gradually pieced together over a couple of years. And by the time the game came out, these guys had basically got it 100% correct.

On the one hand, GTAV was simpler because there were more buildings and roads and aerial shots to piece together. On the other hand, they didn't have a leaked map to work off of then!

I have confidence that by the time we've seen two more gameplay trailers, and mid-October comes around, that this thread will have the RDR2 map all worked out as well......

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Chinese Takeout said:

I imagine you can rotate that map...can you take a 2 or 3 images from only SLIGHTLY different angles and create an animated gif that helps show depth? Kinda like those old animated daguerreotypes from the Civil War? Like these:

Reveal hidden contents

or like these I made of a buddy of mine, as proof that he had traveled back in time in his wheelchair?

Reveal hidden contents

EDIT: If you're too busy, if you can provide me with the images, I can create the GIFs. What am I gonna do, work? <laughter>

I can do better than that. Warning, may take a while to load if you have a slow connection. This is a 3D Viewer, which i used during the GTAV mapping project all those years ago.

https://skfb.ly/6AWL7

Edited by DuPz0r
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

I can do better than that. Warning, may take a while to load if you have a slow connection. This is a 3D Viewer, which i used during the GTAV mapping project all those years ago.

Maybe work on the map so the Dakota river doesn't flow up hill. But other then that. Top quality stuff man.

*sorry if the first part sounds dickish. I do not mean anything bad by it. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Mirokunite
dfd
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

Oh, Fantastic! I love Sketchfab! Much Grass. 🤘

• Like 2
e1999KrayzieBone
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

This is so cool. My next request would be to remove the silly boundary colors and instead color the terrain after what it will like look like. Any chance you could do that? Would really add to the immersion.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tonesta said:

If you have time - it's fun to go on the equivalent GTA V thread and see how the map there was gradually pieced together over a couple of years. And by the time the game came out, these guys had basically got it 100% correct.

On the one hand, GTAV was simpler because there were more buildings and roads and aerial shots to piece together. On the other hand, they didn't have a leaked map to work off of then!

I have confidence that by the time we've seen two more gameplay trailers, and mid-October comes around, that this thread will have the RDR2 map all worked out as well......

It is actually harder to map RDR 2's map since it is not an island compared to GTA V's map. The coastline of GTA V's map (viewed from high altitude screenshots) helped piece together the shape of the island. Whereas for RDR 1 and 2, the map is part of a larger continent, making it difficult to know the exact shape and size of the map. 

Fortunately, the leaked map has come to our rescue in this regard. But we don't know yet if Mexico returns.

Also, does anyone have a link to the original RDR 1 mapping thread? I can't seem to find it.

Edited by retrogamer397

Okay, here's another one of my "confusions." Did we ever conclude that these two homesteads were NOT the same place? Because, if they ARE the same place, but just viewed from opposite sides...I can't get my head around the mountains we see in the shot from the original trailer. To the right of the horse with the deer on its back would be WEST, meaning (I guess) that we should see Nekoti Rock in that direction, and then - panning south from there...we wouldn't see too much else in the way of mountain peaks, except for maybe WAY in the distance. What am I missing? Are they two different places?

sDKv59l.jpg

3 hours ago, Chinese Takeout said:

Okay, here's another one of my "confusions." Did we ever conclude that these two homesteads were NOT the same place? Because, if they ARE the same place, but just viewed from opposite sides...I can't get my head around the mountains we see in the shot from the original trailer. To the right of the horse with the deer on its back would be WEST, meaning (I guess) that we should see Nekoti Rock in that direction, and then - panning south from there...we wouldn't see too much else in the way of mountain peaks, except for maybe WAY in the distance. What am I missing? Are they two different places?

sDKv59l.jpg

Not the same house.

Upper house has 2 chimneys, an L frame, and the lone tree beside it is much shorter than the house.  

Two different locations. 

Edited by BretMaverick777
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Not the same house.

Upper house has 2 chimneys, an L frame, and the lone tree beside it is much taller than the house.  

Two different locations. 

Okay, I noticed those differences too, but chalked them up to a year of development (there are other subtle changes like that, that we have seen.) But, the path of least resistance seems to be that they are 2 separate (albeit uncannily similar) locales. I'm sold. My weary brain thanks you!

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Chinese Takeout said:

Okay, I noticed those differences too, but chalked them up to a year of development (there are other subtle changes like that, that we have seen.) But, the path of least resistance seems to be that they are 2 separate (albeit uncannily similar) locales. I'm sold. My weary brain thanks you!

The bottom picture is pretty much guaranteed to be Great Plains....road leading to Blackwater from Quakers Cove.   That house overlooks the town.

The upper picture appears to be Heartlands....maybe Lucky's Cabin, just SW of Valentine?  Arthur walking his horse west at the end of a successful hunt?  

• Like 2

Just a little foray into trying to match up regions of the RDR1 and RDR2 map to areas they're probably based on in North America.  

Not all of it's gonna be 100%, and feel free to draw your own conclusions.  

Rai2saF.jpg

Roanoke Ridge:   Appalachia.  Coal mining country around Annesburg; Van Horn looks like a derelict river port; some of the place names suggest hillbilly country.

Scarlett Meadows:  Deep South.   The Bayou and Scarlett Meadows are transposed, but I think Rockstar wanted to create a region with a "Django Unchained" vibe.

Bayou Nwa/St. Denis:   Louisiana.   St. Denis is New Orleans.  Pretty straightforward, nuff said.

The Heartlands:   The REAL Great Plains.   Encompasses a lot of area in the real US, but seems significantly smaller on the game map.

Cumberland Forest:   The Great North Woods.   I'm iffy on this, as I don't really believe Rockstar has shown much of this region in previews yet, but I'm estimating it's what we call "The Great North Woods" in the US --- MN, WI, and MI.   If that's the case, your best fishing and hunting should be up here.   And maybe ice-fishing.  Who knows. 

New Austin:   West Texas.   Texas is too big to fit into just one map, I suppose, but New Austin suggests West Texas, Hill Country, and maybe parts of OK and NM.   It's what they call "Chihuahuan Desert," as opposed to Sonoran Desert (more on that later).  (Not saying New Austin is in RDR2; no evidence of that.  Yet.)

Nuevo Paraiso:   Northern Mexico.   The desert regions of Mexico.   Again, not saying this RDR1 campaign area will return in RDR2; just placing it on the map here for reference.  

Tall Trees/Great Plains:   Colorado.   This one's still iffy/problematic for me, too.  But it wedges in there like a missing piece of a puzzle.  Like Colorado, West Elizabeth is Plains to the east, forested mountains to the west.   The state is bordered by the Upper and Lower Montana Rivers, though, so...I dunno.  I used to think that suggested Montana itself (again, similar geography), but maybe the Spanish word "montana" here is just being used in the sense of "mountainous," which certainly applies to most of Colorado.

Big Valley:   Wyoming, east Idaho, lower Montana.  I'm a bit more confident on this one, and pretty confident that Big Valley is considered part of the state of West Elizabeth, along with Tall Trees and Great Plains.  

The Grizzlies:   this one's tough to pinpoint.   Yeah, we know it's The Rockies.   But the Rockies run north-south, while the Grizzlies tend more east-west.  And they're situated NORTH of the plains, unlike the Rockies, which are WEST of the plains.  I'm guessing this really represents the Northern Rockies, on up into Idaho, Washington, Montana....and Canada.   British Columbia, Alberta.   I honestly think The Grizzlies are supposed to be north of the border, to give Dutch's Gang a safe haven of sorts to escape American law enforcement.   We'll see. 

And yeah, there's a lot of blank spaces on the map.   I hope someday to see a Pacific Northwest.  I'm not sure there is, or ever has been, plans to expand the map east into Florida and the Atlantic seaboard and New England, but who knows.   The Midwest looks orphaned, but I honestly don't think The Heartlands is meant to include that.  The Heartlands, in our game, is primarily grazing land --- cowboy country.   The Midwest is the bread-basket of America -- farm country.   I don't think Rockstar sees that as a viable playground for Dutch's Gang.  

And did I mention the Southwest Territory...? 

MdKfq7N.jpg

....More on that, in another thread. 

Thor Shreddington

New Austin is more Arizona than Texas. I've lived in AZ for 30 years, and Cholla Springs is like home. Arizona is the only state with saguaro cactus. Well, AZ and Mexico.

It's funny too, because I used to say, "Part of the reason I love RDR, is because I live there," and I just last month moved to Nebraska, which is where the real "Courthouse Rock" is. So now, 8 years later, I live I RDR2, LoL!

Edited by Thor Shreddington
15 minutes ago, Thor Shreddington said:

New Austin is more Arizona than Texas. I've lived in AZ for 30 years, and Cholla Springs is like home. Arizona is the only state with saguaro cactus. Well, AZ and Mexico.

It's funny too, because I used to say, "Part of the reason I love RDR, is because I live there," and I just last month moved to Nebraska, which is where the real "Courthouse Rock" is. So now, 8 years later, I live I RDR2, LoL!

New Austin is certainly an amalgam....part Texas, part New Mexico, part Oklahoma.  Texas gives it the "Austin" part of its name, and "New" probably comes from New Mexico. The oil wells of Plainview could be in Texas, or in Oklahoma. 

But I think there's a REAL good chance you're going to see something that looks even more like home to you in RDR2.  I'm pretty sure now that the desert in the gameplay trailer is in the Southwest instead of Mexico. 

• Like 2

All of the regions are just sort of a 'greatest hits' of real regions. Granted even these regions take cues from areas outside of their respective areas.

My take on the elements present in the regions.

Roanoke Ridge:   Map wise its the Ozarks meets Appalachia. But very much Appalachia in resources.

Scarlett Meadows:  The South. Plantation country.

Bayou Nwa/St. Denis:   Southern Louisiana. St. Denis is New Orleans with maybe elements from Saint Louis.

The Heartlands:   Nebraska Panhandle. Elements taken from the mid Great Plains.

Cumberland Forest:   Hard to say. I want to say a take on the Ozarks

New Austin:  As a whole its basically New Mexico meets Arizona. It takes place in a territory and in 1911 the only territories left in the continental US was Arizona and New Mexico. Geographically its Arizona/New Mexico.

Cholla Springs: Arizona
Gaptooth Ridge: Western Arizona
Hennigan's Stead: Oak savanna of Arizona
Rio Bravo: New Mexico

Nuevo Paraiso:   Northern Mexico with elements of New Mexico and Utah.

Diez Coronas: Monument Valley, with elements of Walpi, Arizona.
Perdido:  Chihuahuan Desert and Utah's Canyonlands
Punta Orgullo: Sonoran Desert

Tall Trees/Great Plains:   Colorado and the Great Plains. But the area could be a amalgamation of California foothills and the Sierras. Geographically speaking it would probably more correspond with Colorado.

Big Valley:   Geographically probably Central Colorado. A really condensed and narrow version. Probably something like Wet Mountain Valley.

The Grizzlies:   The Rockies.

Geographically the map doesn't make sense in a real world setting, nor would it even work in the real world. You won't find 1:1 analogs to the map to the real world. Rockstar built their own world figured the key regions they wanted in the game and populated it with relevant objects. But its not to say they didn't take creative liberties (redwoods outside California, Monument Valley land features in Northern Mexico). Its very much a idealized imagination of the concept of the West. Regions that are familiar and yet stand way out from one another.

Maybe a more contemporary example of what is going on here is the scenery of the movie The Revenant.

The movie everything is all mountainous and expansive. Really sets the tone of mountain men and the frontier.

23489197073_b7cd1123f7_b.jpg

But really Hugh Glass crawled through this area.

Thunder_butte_SD.jpg

But a movie about a guy trying to crawl and survive on the prairie isn't as visually exciting as huge mountains and valleys.

Edited by Mirokunite
l
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Just a little foray into trying to match up regions of the RDR1 and RDR2 map to areas they're probably based on in North America.  

Not all of it's gonna be 100%, and feel free to draw your own conclusions.  

Rai2saF.jpg

Roanoke Ridge:   Appalachia.  Coal mining country around Annesburg; Van Horn looks like a derelict river port; some of the place names suggest hillbilly country.

Scarlett Meadows:  Deep South.   The Bayou and Scarlett Meadows are transposed, but I think Rockstar wanted to create a region with a "Django Unchained" vibe.

Bayou Nwa/St. Denis:   Louisiana.   St. Denis is New Orleans.  Pretty straightforward, nuff said.

The Heartlands:   The REAL Great Plains.   Encompasses a lot of area in the real US, but seems significantly smaller on the game map.

Cumberland Forest:   The Great North Woods.   I'm iffy on this, as I don't really believe Rockstar has shown much of this region in previews yet, but I'm estimating it's what we call "The Great North Woods" in the US --- MN, WI, and MI.   If that's the case, your best fishing and hunting should be up here.   And maybe ice-fishing.  Who knows. 

New Austin:   West Texas.   Texas is too big to fit into just one map, I suppose, but New Austin suggests West Texas, Hill Country, and maybe parts of OK and NM.   It's what they call "Chihuahuan Desert," as opposed to Sonoran Desert (more on that later).  (Not saying New Austin is in RDR2; no evidence of that.  Yet.)

Nuevo Paraiso:   Northern Mexico.   The desert regions of Mexico.   Again, not saying this RDR1 campaign area will return in RDR2; just placing it on the map here for reference.  

Tall Trees/Great Plains:   Colorado.   This one's still iffy/problematic for me, too.  But it wedges in there like a missing piece of a puzzle.  Like Colorado, West Elizabeth is Plains to the east, forested mountains to the west.   The state is bordered by the Upper and Lower Montana Rivers, though, so...I dunno.  I used to think that suggested Montana itself (again, similar geography), but maybe the Spanish word "montana" here is just being used in the sense of "mountainous," which certainly applies to most of Colorado.

Big Valley:   Wyoming, east Idaho, lower Montana.  I'm a bit more confident on this one, and pretty confident that Big Valley is considered part of the state of West Elizabeth, along with Tall Trees and Great Plains.  

The Grizzlies:   this one's tough to pinpoint.   Yeah, we know it's The Rockies.   But the Rockies run north-south, while the Grizzlies tend more east-west.  And they're situated NORTH of the plains, unlike the Rockies, which are WEST of the plains.  I'm guessing this really represents the Northern Rockies, on up into Idaho, Washington, Montana....and Canada.   British Columbia, Alberta.   I honestly think The Grizzlies are supposed to be north of the border, to give Dutch's Gang a safe haven of sorts to escape American law enforcement.   We'll see. 

And yeah, there's a lot of blank spaces on the map.   I hope someday to see a Pacific Northwest.  I'm not sure there is, or ever has been, plans to expand the map east into Florida and the Atlantic seaboard and New England, but who knows.   The Midwest looks orphaned, but I honestly don't think The Heartlands is meant to include that.  The Heartlands, in our game, is primarily grazing land --- cowboy country.   The Midwest is the bread-basket of America -- farm country.   I don't think Rockstar sees that as a viable playground for Dutch's Gang.  

And did I mention the Southwest Territory...? 

MdKfq7N.jpg

....More on that, in another thread. 

Solid work Maverick. Looks like the gang will cover most of the US, which makes me so excited, even if the RDR 1 map isn't in the game.

• Like 3