Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    2. GTANet 20th Anniversary

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

    2. Support

      1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread


  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DuPz0r

    827

  • BretMaverick777

    607

  • Chinese Takeout

    465

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

I made this gif just to show the map matches. Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

Recommended Posts

Kon'nichiwa chizu sakusei-sha

 

Not one to be cryptic

but just imagine that "that" map never existed

as it may be impeding your progress

much like a square peg into a round hole.

 

A tennis court would be handy

 

 

Edited by gonnaenodaethat
for more polish
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheWhiteHat said:

Perhaps an early development piece from the great plains remaster in RDR2 ?

The fact that the artist tagged it "Red Dead Redemption" seems more like a planned RDR1 remaster.   But if it *is* for RDR2, this site is now known as "Quaker's Cove," and is active instead of derelict.   Maybe the guy in the shot is our "Quaker."  Whether that's a proper name or part of some Amish community there, up to you.  

 

*Edit:   In 1911, the shack's signboard reads "Teasdale's Bait and Tackle."  We can assume it's the same guy in the artist's picture, or a local fisherman.

 

XaO6Sfa.jpg

Edited by BretMaverick777
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

The fact that the artist tagged it "Red Dead Redemption" seems more like a planned RDR1 remaster.   But if it *is* for RDR2, this site is now known as "Quaker's Cove," and is active instead of derelict.   Maybe the guy in the shot is our "Quaker."  Whether that's a proper name or part of some Amish community there, up to you.  

 

XaO6Sfa.jpg

The reason to believe it's from RDR2 is because as someone pointed out before that the lamp post model was identical , as well as the clothing (dark beige coat ).

If you look closely at the edges you can also notice chromatic abberation , something i don't recall being a feature in RDR , but was in GTA V.

And im pretty sure someone said that RDR's code was too much of a mess to remaster. 

Edited by TheWhiteHat
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A small note about

1 minute ago, TheWhiteHat said:

The reason to believe it's from RDR2 is because as someone pointed out before that the lamp post model was identical , as well as the clothing (dark beige coat ).

If you look closely at the edges you can also notice chromatic abberation , something i don't recall being a feature in RDR , but was in GTA V.

And im pretty sure someone said that RDR's code was too much of a mess to remaster. 

Couple of things to note about the artist's picture.   The pier (to the Wreck of the Serendipity) doesn't exist in 1899 (if we assume it's 1899).   Nor is the site a bait shack back then.   It appears to be just a regular residence in 1899. 

 

Gotta wonder where "Teasdale" was during the events of RDR1, too, since the shack appears abandoned in that game.   The fact that outlaws were rumored to use it as a hangout probably drove him out of business long before 1911. 

 

Incidentally, I think the connection between this site, the Serendipity, and Dutch Van Der Linde are actually plot points that will be revealed during RDR2.   I strongly doubt Dutch picked the Wreck of the Serendipity at random to hole up in in RDR1.   He's got history with that boat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

A small note about

Couple of things to note about the artist's picture.   The pier (to the Wreck of the Serendipity) doesn't exist in 1899 (if we assume it's 1899).   Nor is the site a bait shack back then.   It appears to be just a regular residence in 1899. 

 

Gotta wonder where "Teasdale" was during the events of RDR1, too, since the shack appears abandoned in that game.   The fact that outlaws were rumored to use it as a hangout probably drove him out of business long before 1911. 

 

Incidentally, I think the connection between this site, the Serendipity, and Dutch Van Der Linde are actually plot points that will be revealed during RDR2.   I strongly doubt Dutch picked the Wreck of the Serendipity at random to hole up in in RDR1.   He's got history with that boat. 

Completely agree on that . I could be reaching on this but the Strange Man said "She was a girl Dutch van der Linde shot in the head on that raid on the ferry a few years back. Same one you got shot on." 

The ferry he could be referring to is the wreck of the serendipity . We also know that canoes are a part of the game and possibly steamboats ? we saw 2 in the distance during the shot of what we assume to be Annesburg .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
e1999KrayzieBone

In support of this leaked map not showing everything that's playable, and this is more of an observation that anything, but it seems counter-intuitive for such a large piece of land to be unplayable, given that it's so close to the playable boundary just to its East, and then equally weird for it to also extend so far North...especially strange if we're going to be able to ride/drive boats and have to drive around this thing to get places.


Under the pretense of this leaked map, if I'm over on that southwestern coast of Scarlett Meadows looking straight west, I'll be staring at a huge piece of land that I'd love to explore but cannot. Why not just make Flat Iron Lake extend farther south and make the unplayable piece less pronounced? Maybe it's there as a sort of road block to make boat trips from the East to West seem/feel longer and better separate the regions of the map? But still, why not at least make it playable?

I think this observation coupled with the fact that we know desert (and maybe even Mexico) exists, but not likely anywhere on the leaked map, tells me that the "edge of world boundary" lines shouldn't be trusted, and this big land mass jutting north might just be playable (as Mexico). If it's not, just seems kind of silly for them to place such a large mass of unreachable land right there (unless the water isn't playable--then it makes this much more forgiveable.)

 

V4r5CCQ.png

 

 

Edited by e1999KrayzieBone
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, keep in mind that RDR also featured huge amounts of unreachable (except via glitches) land that was only there to make the landmass seem part of a larger, continuous country and not an isolated island-state like they traditionally have done with GTA.  I think that's why no one batted an eye at the leaked map having so much unplayable space - because they did it before. 

But I am starting to think that *maybe* there is a lot more to the map than what was leaked, either some additional stuff added on (like more of Mexico) or more of the old map being open to us, or some of both.  I still lean toward thinking this will be decidedly smaller than GTA V's map, though, no matter what PS Access said.  I would find it very peculiar if the leaked map was only like a third of the overall playable space.

Edited by Nutduster
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rockstar has feelers all over the internet, and this forum got a lot of news for the GTAV mapping project. People at Rockstar are probably aware of us. Hell given how they've been known to hide instructions in code for players to crack they might take a bit of joy in seeing us try to figure out maps and build some trailers in such a way to lead us on.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, e1999KrayzieBone said:

Nice work! If I could give one recommendation, it would be to take out the purplish/blue boundary indicators between regions the original leak had. They look so much like water it's tough to tell the difference. 

4nKInqy.jpg

 

13 minutes ago, Mirokunite said:

Rockstar has feelers all over the internet, and this forum got a lot of news for the GTAV mapping project. People at Rockstar are probably aware of us. Hell given how they've been known to hide instructions in code for players to crack they might take a bit of joy in seeing us try to figure out maps and build some trailers in such a way to lead us on.

Well, R* if you're watching, i'll happily take a job as a junior cartographer/visualiser...  😂 I have a First' in Game's Art too if that helps.

Edited by DuPz0r
Link to post
Share on other sites

DhV9CnO.jpg

gwkxWOH.jpg

 

That house on the hill behind the track is likely part of 'Shepherd's Rise'.

 

See how the terrain map has made things a whole lot easier to pinpoint?

N3Zzj8a.jpg

 

Edited by DuPz0r
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

4nKInqy.jpg

 

Well, R* if you're watching, i'll happily take a job as a junior cartographer/visualiser...  😂 I have a First' in Game's Art too if that helps.

look at grid h14, i14 i13 the river is pretty much a tiny creek

 

yours is way too wide

 

top f*cking effort tho

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

DhV9CnO.jpg

gwkxWOH.jpg

 

That house on the hill behind the track is likely part of 'Shepherd's Rise'.

 

See how the terrain map has made things a whole lot easier to pinpoint?

N3Zzj8a.jpg

 

Eh, I think you're off on some of these. The 3rd one is definitely right and maybe the 2nd one too(albeit probably much further east since the mountain is way in the distance).

 

I'm very unconvinced on the the 1st picture though. The red mountain does bear some resemblances to the one in Big Valley, but you're neglecting that it seems to form a ridge with the blue mountain in picture when there should be a flat area/valley for Pronghorn Ranch. Add on to this the severe incline shown by the photo in contrast to what we've seen at Hanging Dog Ranch(a very flat area deserving of the name Big Valley), and I have to say I think you're wrong on this. I analysed this same shot not long after it came out, and it much better fits with Roanoke Valley.

 

The last one doesn't fit with what we're seeing as a landscape though. We can clearly see the water from the Dakota River curving at Horseshoe Overlook in the bottom right. If we look from where you placed it, the Grizzlies would be taking up most of the shot and to our right would be Cumberland forest but it isn't. Also, the trail doesn't split in two on the minimap but it does on the leaked map. We're on the mountain at the southern side of Little Creek.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mirokunite said:

Rockstar has feelers all over the internet, and this forum got a lot of news for the GTAV mapping project. People at Rockstar are probably aware of us. Hell given how they've been known to hide instructions in code for players to crack they might take a bit of joy in seeing us try to figure out maps and build some trailers in such a way to lead us on.

 

I'm 100% sure they frequent this forum very often. I bet our hype and commitment to this mapping project makes their hard work worthwhile. That and all the money they're about to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TechDevil said:

I'm 100% sure they frequent this forum very often. I bet our hype and commitment to this mapping project makes their hard work worthwhile. That and all the money they're about to make.

I'm sure the Houser's probably don't go here. But I'm sure some rank and file people from testers to designers have at least seen what we've done with the GTAV map by using our collective autism abilities.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sausache said:

 

The last one doesn't fit with what we're seeing as a landscape though. We can clearly see the water from the Dakota River curving at Horseshoe Overlook in the bottom right. If we look from where you placed it, the Grizzlies would be taking up most of the shot and to our right would be Cumberland forest but it isn't. Also, the trail doesn't split in two on the minimap but it does on the leaked map. We're on the mountain at the southern side of Little Creek.

Yeah i agree with that. Imo it is more something like this

sOruQc2.jpg

Edited by GourangaMaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GourangaMaster said:

Yeah i agree with that. Imo it is more something like this

http://sOruQc2.jpg

I think you need to adjust the purple arrow on the screen grab, if you want the arrow to pass between the Courthouse and Jailhouse Rocks

 

yOwLOcW.gif

Edited by Chinese Takeout
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chinese Takeout said:

I think you need to adjust the purple arrow on the screen grab, if you want the arrow to pass between the Courthouse and Jailhouse Rocks

 

yOwLOcW.gif

Ah sh*t i should of went back to that screen you used. The screen grab i used was bit dark, threw the shadows off for me but yeah the arrow is off but def think like Sausache said, the area is south of the little creek and not the north.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GourangaMaster said:

Ah sh*t i should of went back to that screen you used. The screen grab i used was bit dark, threw the shadows off for me but yeah the arrow is off but def think like Sausache said, the area is south of the little creek and not the north.

Ah right. Totally didnt see those small rocks on the original panorma from the older trailer. Good job. I think i need your guys help replotting some of the mountains on the west side of my map.

4 hours ago, Chinese Takeout said:

I think you need to adjust the purple arrow on the screen grab, if you want the arrow to pass between the Courthouse and Jailhouse Rocks

 

yOwLOcW.gif

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember how daunting Mt. Chiliad was in GTAV?  How it took so long to explore, and to summit? How it dominated the landscape outside Los Santos?

 

Now picture a dozen Chiliads. More.  And no way to just helicopter or skydive to the top.  The only way there is by foot or hoof.  

 

These mountains are gonna be epic adventures.  And we haven't even seen The Grizzlies proper.  Without any visible camps beyond the one in Colter, I fear that even fast travel will be severely limited into those mountains.  And a region dominating so much of the map, you know Rockstar isn't gonna make it empty spaces.  There's gotta be lots of secrets there, reasons to get to those inaccessible valleys that the map doesn't even hint at yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Remember how daunting Mt. Chiliad was in GTAV?  How it took so long to explore, and to summit? How it dominated the landscape outside Los Santos?

 

Now picture a dozen Chiliads. More.  And no way to just helicopter or skydive to the top.  The only way there is by foot or hoof.  

 

These mountains are gonna be epic adventures.  And we haven't even seen The Grizzlies proper.  Without any visible camps beyond the one in Colter, I fear that even fast travel will be severely limited into those mountains.  And a region dominating so much of the map, you know Rockstar isn't gonna make it empty spaces.  There's gotta be lots of secrets there, reasons to get to those inaccessible valleys that the map doesn't even hint at yet.

 

That's one thing Red Dead nails which GTA can't ever really compete with.. sure you can explore a lot with GTA but Red Dead has this whole mystical feel that cannot be replicated. I remember the first time I went up into Tall Trees looking for bears (which soon found me!)

 

right-in-the-nostalgia.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I'm a Mountains enthusiast in computer games as in real life. Give them Rockstar and they'll do them proper visually and make them more interesting to explore. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

4nKInqy.jpg

 

This is some damn fine work, son.

 

Why didn't you include Bayou Noir and Tall Trees/Great Plains?

 

I'm interested how this image matches up with the panoramic shot of the mountains.

 

C1mWURQ.jpg

 

N0uTBIh.jpg

 

 

22 hours ago, arno_cat said:

TUXNOKG.jpg

UHMBJlB.jpg

 

These are frighteningly similar houses, but the location doesn't seem to match.

 

The newer house is built on a piece of solid ground. The land visible to the left is over yonder in the distance, and there's a lot of water inbetween. We seem to be on the southern or eastern bank of a river or lake.

Edited by Little Big Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Little Big Man said:

These are frighteningly similar houses, but the location doesn't seem to match.

 

The newer house is built on a piece solid ground. The land visible on the left is over yonder in the distance, and there's a lot of water inbetween. We seem to be on the southern or eastern bank of a river or lake.

 

My guess would be that the water hadn't been added to this scene, and it was more to showcase the building itself (as it wasn't meant to be seen by 'players' it was to show the artists work on environments)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little Big Man said:

This is some damn fine work, son.

 

Why didn't you include Bayou Noir and Tall Trees/Great Plains?

 

I'm interested how this image matches up with the panoramic shot of the mountains.

I originally did it to get a better/cleaner view of the mountain range. The southern part of the map was pretty flat so i didnt feel it was needed. I went back over it, before dropping it online. 

 

It's still a work in progress. As mentioned by another member, i still havent cleaned up dakota river yet either. I might do the other parts of the map if i feel it helps in any way towards our screenshot linking.

Edited by DuPz0r
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I originally did it to get a better/cleaner view of the mountain range. The southern part of the map was pretty flat so i didnt feel it was needed. I went back over it, before dropping it online. 

 

It's still a work in progress. As mentioned by another member, i still havent cleaned up dakota river yet either. I might do the other parts of the map if i feel it helps in any way towards our screenshot linking.

 

It could be the key that blows this whole business wide open.

 

You should try to post it on page 100 for good luck.

Edited by Little Big Man
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.