Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

Recommended Posts

BretMaverick777
20 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

Yeah, potentially anyway. I feel like this is what we're looking at.

 

Kx1ZVO5.jpg

Okay, I'm with y'all now.   I had thought that maybe the line of trees showing between Arthur and the stagecoach was the Cumberland Forest, but I see now it's the stand of trees around Blackwater.  Arthur blocks our view of the town.  

 

The lake looks a little...quieter than I'd hoped.  Could be that we're too far above it to show steamboats and other water traffic.  But that's one thing I REALLY want to see confirmed....hopefully with Gameplay #2.   The Lannehechee River and Flat Iron Lake should be pretty lively with river traffic...steamboats, ferries, barges, flatboats, gunboats.   Some of the steamboats, in particular, should play key roles in RDR2, based on RDR1 lore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTARDR
4 minutes ago, Svip said:

That lake does not appear large enough to be Flat Iron Lake.  Besides, the terrain around where Blackwater should be looks nothing like Great Plains.  The mountains could be the same, though, but I believe the lake is a smaller lake, and the far shore is practically within the same region as where the characters are.

Its not that small as it looks like...

Kuvakaappaus_-_2018-08-20_17-09-58.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTARDR
15 minutes ago, GTARDR said:

Its not that small as it looks like...

Kuvakaappaus_-_2018-08-20_17-09-58.png

Flat iron lake is bigger than Tall trees and Great plains combined..

7_KHO85_OP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SneakyDeaky
10 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Okay, I'm with y'all now.   I had thought that maybe the line of trees showing between Arthur and the stagecoach was the Cumberland Forest, but I see now it's the stand of trees around Blackwater.  Arthur blocks our view of the town.  

 

The lake looks a little...quieter than I'd hoped.  Could be that we're too far above it to show steamboats and other water traffic.  But that's one thing I REALLY want to see confirmed....hopefully with Gameplay #2.   The Lannehechee River and Flat Iron Lake should be pretty lively with river traffic...steamboats, ferries, barges, flatboats, gunboats.   Some of the steamboats, in particular, should play key roles in RDR2, based on RDR1 lore.  

I think it's certainly Blackwater but I agree with you on the water traffic. I'm not expecting Manhattan traffic turn of the century, but as you say, there should be steamboats, ferries and barges ect. and a lot more life. But the way Rockstar uses the Rockstar editor is always curious in these situations, as they will move the sun, apply filters, change the weather and change the time of the day; they will also spawn NPC's or remove them to dress up the shot. I feel like this is taken during a mission where traffic is turned to very low, a option the game would likely have if it were on PC. (like GTA does)

 

But I still agree with you, I want to see a lot more life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SneakyDeaky
1 hour ago, GTARDR said:

6west.jpg

Yeah and what about this small similarity?
vlcsnap-2018-08-13-02h21m46s032.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-22-15h00m50s307.png
 

Edited by SneakyDeaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thor Shreddington

Ok, not wanting to beat a dead horse here, and correct me if this has been mentioned, but I just noticed further evidence that the leaked MAP is only like half of what's in the game.

 

So I was focusing on the grid overlay. Just east of Van Horn Trading Post, the grid ends. But on the west side of the map, it continues off screen. Also, if we look north, northwest, and west of The Grizzlies and Big Valley, the greyed out areas are all continuous, bland, edge of the world mountains like you'd see off the edge of the map in any open world RPG. But if we look south of Flatiron Lake and Great Plains, it's all flat, topographically speaking, including Thieves Landing situated just outside the red border. Now for the kicker. Take a close look at grid coordinates q02, q03, r02, and r03. Y'alls seeing what I'm seeing? 

That's New Austin and a huge chunk of Mexico south and southwest of the visible map. That's where our deserts are. I'd bet on it. I've seen some discussion, but it just became painfully obvious. 

It's 10:15AM here and I haven't slept yet, so please forgive my dramatic and possibly incoherent rambling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwistedMedia

here's a thought....

 

The leaked map that we've been using is only a specific art team's section of the map. Maybe there is a whole other section of the map south of the border, or containing more of the original RDR map that this map didn't contain, as it wasn't that 'teams' map to work on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chinese Takeout

I'm still not 100% on the directions lining up with the Great Plains and Blackwater...if that's what we're seeing...I want to believe, I'm just having trouble...

 

Do we have a name for these guys yet? I'm gonna call them Twin Sisters for now:

wSLO7Cx.jpg

 

Pretty sure I have the compass directions right in the following images...

2m92Kzf.jpg

X7N6zSk.jpg

 

If these directions are correct, it seems like it throws some of the other locations out of whack...

 

Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivarblaauw
9 minutes ago, TwistedMedia said:

here's a thought....

 

The leaked map that we've been using is only a specific art team's section of the map. Maybe there is a whole other section of the map south of the border, or containing more of the original RDR map that this map didn't contain, as it wasn't that 'teams' map to work on?

At this moment, anything is possible. We simply don't know.

 

We are AT LEAST getting the leaked map, and hopefully more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paddymcg
27 minutes ago, Thor Shreddington said:

Ok, not wanting to beat a dead horse here, and correct me if this has been mentioned, but I just noticed further evidence that the leaked MAP is only like half of what's in the game.

 

So I was focusing on the grid overlay. Just east of Van Horn Trading Post, the grid ends. But on the west side of the map, it continues off screen. Also, if we look north, northwest, and west of The Grizzlies and Big Valley, the greyed out areas are all continuous, bland, edge of the world mountains like you'd see off the edge of the map in any open world RPG. But if we look south of Flatiron Lake and Great Plains, it's all flat, topographically speaking, including Thieves Landing situated just outside the red border. Now for the kicker. Take a close look at grid coordinates q02, q03, r02, and r03. Y'alls seeing what I'm seeing? 

That's New Austin and a huge chunk of Mexico south and southwest of the visible map. That's where our deserts are. I'd bet on it. I've seen some discussion, but it just became painfully obvious. 

It's 10:15AM here and I haven't slept yet, so please forgive my dramatic and possibly incoherent rambling.

As far as I can tell that semi circular area at r02 and r03 is The Hanging Rock, north of Cholla Springs though the scale seems slightly skewed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SneakyDeaky

My Theory is still that there's an area east of West Elizabeth, South of St Denis, that is based on Mexico and connects to Nuevo Paraiso, much like the new map connects to the old map via West Elizabeth. I think the reason why is, by connecting both America and Mexico to the new map, Rockstar have laid the foundation for a future game, perhaps set a lot further south and southeast, that will connect seamlessly to the world in both previous games. Or they can now just connect New Austin and Mexico to the new map easily if they wanted to. Or Perhaps they already have...

I wonder which will win out?
1. New Austin and Nevo Paraiso are back
2. There's a brand new region (possibly based on parts of Mexico)
3. The desert is the Cinco Torres island

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivarblaauw
11 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

I wonder which will win out?
1. New Austin and Nevo Paraiso are back
2. There's a brand new region (possibly based on parts of Mexico)
3. The desert is the Cinco Torres island

Well we can rule out 3. 

 

It actually wouldn't surprise me if we get both 1. and 2.

 

Although 1. might only be used for Online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DuPz0r
41 minutes ago, Thor Shreddington said:

Ok, not wanting to beat a dead horse here, and correct me if this has been mentioned, but I just noticed further evidence that the leaked MAP is only like half of what's in the game.

 

This question has been raised many times and Answered too. Well to the best of our ability anyway. The Map sits the centre of the game world, this is normal for every professional 3d modelling practice. If you look at the leaked map, the Letters M & N are sat smack bang in the middle of the map, and they are also the middle letters of the alphabet. 

 

The leaked map could be pre-alpha for all we know, so there may be bits in the final game not on it yet. And we are aware that parts of the top of the map are missing along with part of the Island. That's because the picture of the map is a photograph probably taken from a phone. So "half of what's in the game" is an overstatement lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
arno_cat
25 minutes ago, ivarblaauw said:

Well we can rule out 3.

Has anything new about the island been found? Sorry I've been kinda afk these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivarblaauw
9 minutes ago, arno_cat said:

Has anything new about the island been found? Sorry I've been kinda afk these days

Nope, 

 

Well... we know the size of the island. Because of this we know it is not the desert location (has mountains in distance) and the desert is way to big in size

Edited by ivarblaauw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BretMaverick777
49 minutes ago, ivarblaauw said:

Well we can rule out 3. 

 

It actually wouldn't surprise me if we get both 1. and 2.

 

Although 1. might only be used for Online.

My sentiments exactly on all 3 counts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzBat360

My current thinking is that Nuevo Paraiso isn't coming back but New Austin is. This is mainly due to the TrustedReview leak saying that Armadillo & Ridgewood Farm coming back. Anway, I don't think the railroad bridges crossing the US/Mexico border will have been constructed in 1899. So the desert location from the gameplay video to me is somewhere in Gaptooth Ridge looking NE. Has anybody tried using Google SketchUp to recreate the desert scene with sun & shadows at a certain time? Would help us get a direction for the mountain range in the background.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frivolous_Raven
3 minutes ago, AzBat360 said:

My current thinking is that Nuevo Paraiso isn't coming back but New Austin is. This is mainly due to the TrustedReview leak saying that Armadillo & Ridgewood Farm coming back. Anway, I don't think the railroad bridges crossing the US/Mexico border will have been constructed in 1899. So the desert location from the gameplay video to me is somewhere in Gaptooth Ridge looking NE. Has anybody tried using Google SketchUp to recreate the desert scene with sun & shadows at a certain time? Would help us get a direction for the mountain range in the background.

 

That's exactly what I'm thinking (or wanting to think)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett Baumler

Wow people are really doing some wishful thinking If they think the leaked map is only half of the game world. 

 

And I’m praying that New Austin is t back. West Elizabeth is enough, I want new areas, not nostalgia grabs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frivolous_Raven
3 minutes ago, Brett Baumler said:

Wow people are really doing some wishful thinking If they think the leaked map is only half of the game world. 

 

And I’m praying that New Austin is t back. West Elizabeth is enough, I want new areas, not nostalgia grabs. 

I mean, for each their own I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivarblaauw
20 minutes ago, Brett Baumler said:

Wow people are really doing some wishful thinking If they think the leaked map is only half of the game world. 

 

And I’m praying that New Austin is t back. West Elizabeth is enough, I want new areas, not nostalgia grabs. 

I just want to point out that it ain't wishful thinking since we have had some evidence to back it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarlboroMan1995

So, I think this confirms we’re getting a Mexico. They wouldn’t directly name two gangs otherwise.... Now, just where is the border??

3czc9Th.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cutter De Blanc

They didn't name two gangs, a vaquero is a cattle rustler and a bandito is a bandit

I'm inclined to believe the desert area is south of Catfish Jackson's.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzBat360
On 8/20/2018 at 12:31 PM, DuPz0r said:

There has to be a mountain on the map between them. And geologically, from those angles, this is the best match i could find. What d'ya think? Preferably i'd like more evidence, but you work with what you got right? Unless someone can find this Mountain Range in other shots, that would be great!

PpobAGY.jpg

Now that we have somewhat determined that Blackwater is behind the rider in the bottom pic, I think the location & orientation of the bottom pic is a little different. I believe they are still in the Heartlands in N10 to N11 along the top of the high hill along the ledge. So the direction listed as South is actually more like Southwest. With that info I believe the top pic corresponds with the desert area being in Gaptooth Ridge looking Northeast. That would agree with a mid-morning timeframe with the sun just low enough to cast a longish shadow to West/Northwest from the cactus. Just my theory. Boy this is fun. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frivolous_Raven

I don't know if I can say this here, but I think people would like to investigate.  

 

I think we will be able to play as John sometime during the game. If someone would like to hear what I have to say cool, if people don't care about this it's ok too. I'm just asking first

 

(Please don't kill me, I have wife and kids, kill them, not me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTARDR
9 minutes ago, AzBat360 said:

I believe they are still in the Heartlands in N10 to N11 along the top of the high hill along the ledge. ...Boy this is fun. LOL

It is fun, of cource. 👍

 

..and yeah, I think it is pretty much comfirmed that wagon shot is taken from N10 (or N9).

 

6 hours ago, GTARDR said:

6west.jpg

 

5 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Yeah and what about this small similarity?
vlcsnap-2018-08-13-02h21m46s032.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-22-15h00m50s307.png
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DuPz0r

I've painstakingly painted out all the grids, blips and named locations just to get a clean image of the mountains (originally for personal use). It may come in handy, so i decided to share it. I tried not to take too many artistic liberties in filling in the blanks! 😂

wWnJeZe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zachsterosu

J. Worth Stables?

 

xts8pXZ.png

 

I believe this is the same ranch in Valentine we've been discussing. It seems like J. Worth is quite the businessman...

Edited by zachsterosu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e1999KrayzieBone
50 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I've painstakingly painted out all the grids, blips and named locations just to get a clean image of the mountains (originally for personal use). It may come in handy, so i decided to share it. I tried not to take too many artistic liberties in filling in the blanks! 😂

wWnJeZe.jpg

Nice work! If I could give one recommendation, it would be to take out the purplish/blue boundary indicators between regions the original leak had. They look so much like water it's tough to tell the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zachsterosu

Additionally, I think we've got another look at the Valentine train station/ranch in this scene from trailer 3:

 

wkWwQvH.png

 

mHmVJGf.png

 

 

And another small thing I noticed:

 

x74QdZP.png

 

"Jameson Mining & Coal Company" on the wagon...

 

ISeItp4.png

 

Edited by zachsterosu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 5 Users Currently Viewing
    2 members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests

    • Jean .
    • Bobby West
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.