RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

Dee.

Cleaned up map:

maxresdefault.jpg

They are the same lamp?

GNku9kT.jpg

c6OAK8Q.jpg

UPDATE: Thank you to GTAForums user cris-formage for providing me with these screenshots of the same house found by The Wreck of the Serendipity in Red Dead Redemption for me to use as a comparison!

550c22a921e401f4c5d1f923dafadaa9.jpg

52e9e4578a2c6aec659ddfdb2c71fb93.jpg

Posting for more to see.

Falounay

You guys are doing an amazing job here, that's just incredible how you can see and turn every little detail into valuable information.

Fun 2

So the place where this pic took place is "Quaker's Cove" ?

Nutduster

<snip>

-more snip-

Yeah, I went through that thought process, too, and I agree about Thieves' Landing. At the time, in 2010, I felt like it was sufficient to represent for NOLA (or the feel of NOLA) for 2 reasons. One reason was its percentage of the map...that was good enough.

However, now - post-gigantic-GTA5-map - I no longer think it's sufficient. And, as you point out, NOLA would have had a much larger population back then, for it to be represented by tiny ol' Thieves' Landing. So, in the era of Rockstar really KICKING ASS when it comes to making, not only HUGE, but DENSE maps, a parody of NOLA would have to be larger.

But, that brings me to the second reason why (back in 2010) I thought Thieves' Landing was sufficient to represent NOLA, and why (in 2016) I the leaked map confuses me: in a game series that is a love letter to CLASSIC WESTERNS and The OLD WEST/WILD WEST...why even include NOLA at all? I tried to make a list of all the classic/epic "Western" movies that were set in NOLA or even just included NOLA for part of the film, and I was at a total loss. The best I could come up with was...1994's "Interview with the Vampire" which isn't really a western, but it is set (partially) in New Orleans in that time period (late 1700's-late 1800's). Maybe "O Brother Where Art Thou?" That's Mississippi in 1937, but whatever...I'm trying here! :-) Django Unchained? Again, Mississippi, but...sort of Bayou-ish and Cajun-y. They start out in Texas, so they were traveling in that area on their way to see Calvin Candie. If anyone can think of some great, classic Western that is set in whole or in part in N'awlins, hook me up.

But, this was the thought process I went through when trying to legitimatize the presence of New Bordeaux on the map. As I said, in another post, I'm going to go with the idea that this map is legit for now. But I'm still puzzled as hell as to why R* would assign NOLA so much real estate on the map for a game that covers a genre that RARELY sets foot in that town, haha. Can't wait to find out, though!

That is an interesting question. I will say this: as much as Redemption dealt with classic Western tropes and locations, I felt like it also did its own thing - maybe even more than I expected when I bought it. I particularly thought they'd inject a lot of classic spaghetti western flavor (the older John Wayne type of Westerns are too square to work nowadays), and while they did use some of that, the game is very much its own beast. Maybe Rockstar feels confident enough to borrow some and invent some, depending on both the needs of their story and also whatever they feel like adding to the game to make it more various and diverse. But I don't really know.

Certainly that is a less-explored setting in classic Westerns than Texas, northern Mexico, Arizona, Monument Valley, California, etc. Most of the spaghetti Westerns were emulating the US/Mexico border area as well as they could, with an arid area of Spain called Almeria. A lot of Ford's movies were set and shot in Monument Valley. Those are basically the two most iconic areas of the west thanks to all those movies. The "Southern Western" - Lousiana, Georgia, Mississippi type settings - is far less common. Though good call on Django Unchained! Historically, Louisiana was only about half-settled by the turn of the century (even though New Orleans was already big and still growing), so it makes sense from that perspective to use that state as part of the transition from wild frontier to post-industrial civilization.

Edited by Nutduster

a z

Yes and no -- The screenshot from Red Dead 1 is near the location on the Red Dead 2 map labelled "Quaker's Cove". The portfolio screenshot could be anywhere from the Read Dead 2 map. Probably on the east side in the Bayou.

Dee.

Yes and no -- The screenshot from Red Dead 1 is near the location on the Red Dead 2 map labelled "Quaker's Cove". The portfolio screenshot could be anywhere from the Read Dead 2 map. Probably on the east side in the Bayou.

at second glance, i think youre right

Dee.

Can anyone recognize the mountain in the background of the leaked screen and place it on where it might be on the map? It might be by the swampy area

Fachewachewa

So... If we're right about the different links between scenes and their supposed position on the leaked map, some of the mountains could be seen from west elisabeth in RDR, right ? I main, the leaked map is real, maybe they kept the mountain shapes. Anybody have screens of what we can see in the north / north-west from west elizabeth ?

Caduceus_

The "cleaned up" map is useless. It definitely can and should be improved. It's full of errors and I hate when I'm trying to find something on the real leaked map but all I can find is the incorrect and harder to read "cleaned" version.

Yeah I tried to pick the good names, but just as the original cleaner, the purple names are unreadable. It is more the roads which can now be easily seen.

​I actually only did it to see personally how New Bordeaux will look. But as I made New Bordeaux, changed some names to the correct ones and added some small roads which the original cleaner forgot, I just thought I would share :)

The purple text isn't unreadable. The purple dot to the north of Mossy Flats says "Pacific Union Railroad Camp". The one east of Strawberry says "Apple____ Timber Co". The one in Cumberland forest, along the Dakota River, appears to be a land claim of some sort because the second word in it is "Claim". The purple dot in The Heartlands is very difficult to make out but I believe the second word is "Pond". It definitely starts with either a P, F, or R.

Also the cleaned up map is misleading because it's missing the creek that runs through Strawberry. It also has the railroad running through West Elizabeth which wasn't in the leaked map and in the leaked map, the Pacific Union Railroad Camp in West Elizabeth should obviously not be there, and the area where the Wreck of the Serendipity was located in RDR is named "Quaker's Cove".

And it completely ignores Le Vilaj (Creole for "The Village"), Cinco Torres (Spanish for "Five Towers"), and El Hueco (Spanish for "The Hollow"). I personally find that island to be the most intriguing part of the leaked map.

So... If we're right about the different links between scenes and their supposed position on the leaked map, some of the mountains could be seen from west elisabeth in RDR, right ? I main, the leaked map is real, maybe they kept the mountain shapes. Anybody have screens of what we can see in the north / north-west from west elizabeth ?

No. You're asking if Rockstar created the entire game world of RDR2 before finishing RDR1, for the sole purpose of using it as background scenery in one area of the map? Do you realize how impractical that would be?

Mod edit: please avoid double posting. posts merged

Edited by Caduceus_

Pink Pineapple

If we're assuming the sun is in the correct position (and I agree, why not start from that assumption)

You've gotta ask yourself one question - "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk? ;)

Ba70Bsl.jpg

ThroatSlasher2

@Caduceus_

No, he's asking if Rockstar crafted RDR2's map by looking at what they made as ''filler'' in RDR1's map.

PixelQ

Good eye! That does look like Rustling...
I can't figure out the Purple one though...
xmHM7cl.jpg
If anyone else has any ideas what all the XxxXX and ??? marked locations are please reply to this thread for map updates.

That definitely looks like an L word, and then another capital letter, an A? sorry, I really wish to figure that out..

Edited by PixelQ

PissKing360

xmHM7cl.jpg
If anyone else has any ideas what all the XxxXX and ??? marked locations are please reply to this thread for map updates.

That's definetly looks like an L word, and then another capital letter, an A? sorry, I really wish to figure that out..

landmarks perhaps?

PixelQ

landmarks perhaps?

Thought that, but that's already on the list (yellow/brown letters)

Fachewachewa

No. You're asking if Rockstar created the entire game world of RDR2 before finishing RDR1, for the sole purpose of using it as background scenery in one area of the map? Do you realize how impractical that would be?

What ? no, no. The RDR map is already surrounded by mountains, I'm saying they could remake those mountains, the same way they might be remaking new elizabeth.

Kirsty

That's definetly looks like an L word, and then another capital letter, an A? sorry, I really wish to figure that out..

landmarks perhaps?

I think the second part of the word looks like it begins with J.

ab6ad36f05e5d4cac248ac57334bd708.png

Rockstar Vienna

I made 2 crappy pics a while ago to figure out what's north-east of West Elizabeth. They could use the mountains from RDR, sure. But they could also scrap all of them.

Nothing special to see but well... here you go.

26606466582_382b78e9d0_c.jpg

26606467362_40f9c79b74_c.jpg

Edited by Rockstar Vienna

Fluffy Sock

I'm pretty sure the dam north of Cochinay is called "Owanjita Dam". The same word is in capitals just over the water in the original map.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/RDR2-Map.jpg

Edited by Perez84

eyman

I'm fairly certain this map is real. everyone that has contributed is doing a great job so far.

The "Heartland" is a clear hint if you ask me.

Edited by eyman

a z

The purple text isn't unreadable. The purple dot to the north of Mossy Flats says "Pacific Union Railroad Camp". The one east of Strawberry says "Apple____ Timber Co". The one in Cumberland forest, along the Dakota River, appears to be a land claim of some sort because the second word in it is "Claim". The purple dot in The Heartlands is very difficult to make out but I believe the second word is "Pond". It definitely starts with either a P, F, or R.

Also the cleaned up map is misleading because it's missing the creek that runs through Strawberry. It also has the railroad running through West Elizabeth which wasn't in the leaked map and in the leaked map, the Pacific Union Railroad Camp in West Elizabeth should obviously not be there, and the area where the Wreck of the Serendipity was located in RDR is named "Quaker's Cove".

And it completely ignores Le Vilaj (Creole for "The Village"), Cinco Torres (Spanish for "Five Towers"), and El Hueco (Spanish for "The Hollow"). I personally find that island to be the most intriguing part of the leaked map.

Thanks for spotting those!

And thanks for others trying to unscramble bad JPEG compression. I bet half the names will be different in the final game... still it's a fun thing to chew on for the next 6-12months.

DKRfAnr.jpg

Dee.

Okay, so after some observations that shouldve stood out to me...I can see that the houses arent the same.

Also, it looks as if it takes place north of Bayou NWA.

Look at the mountain range in the backdrop, can anyone identify it?

LibertyKing

Couldn't the purple writings be train stations? Most of them are somewhat close to railroads and it's two words.

Edit: Also, the purple writing south of Horseshoe Overlook is probably Overlook Road.

Edit 2: Maybe Overlook Point. Overlook Something.

Edited by LibertyKing

PissKing360

Couldn't the purple writings be train stations? Most of them are somewhat close to railroads and it's two words.

Edit: Also, the purple writing south of Horseshoe Overlook is probably Overlook Road.

train stations doesnt make too much sense considering the one in southernmost big valley is right by a trail, plus we already know one is a timber company and one is a rail road camp so just figuring out the common denominator between the locations will help find out what purple means

Caduceus_

@Caduceus_

No, he's asking if Rockstar crafted RDR2's map by looking at what they made as ''filler'' in RDR1's map.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just don't expect anything useful to come of it is all (just a lot of "MAP = FAKE CONFIRMED" despite Nekoti Rock having already been identified in the trailer).

xmHM7cl.jpg

That definitely looks like an L word, and then another capital letter, an A? sorry, I really wish to figure that out..

It looks like the second word starts with a J to me. I thought it could be Claim Jumping at first but it definitely doesn't say Jumping. "Land Jump" maybe?

Thanks for spotting those!

And thanks for others trying to unscramble bad JPEG compression. I bet half the names will be different in the final game... still it's a fun thing to chew on for the next 6-12months.

DKRfAnr.jpg

Nicely done! Cunson Landing should say Cumberland Falls and Saltwater Stand is Saltwater Strand (or Siltwater Strand?)

Edited by Caduceus_

dwh850

To me it kinda looks like "pond"

Also the second purple looks like "jones." Maybe it's the name of someone who owns those companies? (Applewood, railroad camp)

Edited by dwh850

Spider-Vice

I think the second word might be Areas, to be honest. No idea on the first though.

LibertyKing

@PissKing360: A timber company and a railroad camp could very well have a train station. Buy yeah, the ones on the trail don't make much sense, though.

@dwh850: Pond makes sense. If you look closely, there is in fact a pond there. Nevermind, it's a zero, not a pond.

Edited by LibertyKing

dwh850

I think the second word might be Areas, to be honest. No idea on the first though.

Labor Areas?

@liberty king: what's a 0? I'm saying the second word below horseshoe overlook looks like pond

Edited by dwh850

LibertyKing

@dwh850: It probably says pond. I mean there is a chuck number right under the purple circle. It says n10. I thought the 0 was a pond

Caduceus_

I was tricked into thinking there was a body of water nearby too. Now I think it says "Point" but I'm not 100%.