3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

BallinBallas

anyone have any luck getting a better view of the interiors past the rocks at Gaptooth Breach? I really want to know what’s down there. 

DuPz0r
2 hours ago, BallinBallas said:

anyone have any luck getting a better view of the interiors past the rocks at Gaptooth Breach? I really want to know what’s down there. 

After many attempts no. I glitched under the map multiple times on online too and just fell through the mine like is wasnt solid so i'm not sure you even can.

BallinBallas
45 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

After many attempts no. I glitched under the map multiple times on online too and just fell through the mine like is wasnt solid so i'm not sure you even can.

that’s disappointing. so many unfinished things in NA :( 

simmun
On 4/9/2019 at 3:31 PM, ivarblaauw said:

tried to go up there yesterday, but failed horribly. After about an hour of trying: one horse had died and another horse ran away.

Perhaps one of our friends can try to find possible routes which link to Aurora Basin? :)

Also if someone could explore west of Owanjila/Big Vally that would be great. Would be very interesting if we could try to map different potential routes through those mountains. Probably there is nothing and if this theory plays out than that region will be remodelled anyway. But still interesting I think!

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Trelawny's Trailer looks different from when you see it during the story and post-game. It's all boarded up. I decided to take a look inside anyway.

Edited by DuPz0r

a z

I haven't come across an actual quest line to find him.  Was that some Stranger blip on the map or a formal request by a main character?

Deadman2112

@DuPz0r

So I've tried several times, (to no avail) to get inside the (well for lack of a better way to describe it) the gypsy trailer next to the one he was in.

...was there ever any success for the place?

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2019 at 8:30 PM, a z said:

I haven't come across an actual quest line to find him.  Was that some Stranger blip on the map or a formal request by a main character?

I don't remember specifically, but i remember in the story they said Trelawny was last seen in Rhodes, he's always on the move, and he'll turn up sooner or later. But in RDO, you actually take a stranger mission from him in that location. 

/edit actually i found this:

Magicians for Sport

Magicians for Sport objectives:

• Inspect all the clues in Trelawny's Caravan
  • While tracking, stay withing 30 feet of Trelawny's trailer

You'll start this from Dutch at the camp. For us it appeared after completing Horse Flesh for Dinner.

Go with Charles at the designated point and search the caravan. 

18 hours ago, Deadman2112 said:

@DuPz0r

So I've tried several times, (to no avail) to get inside the (well for lack of a better way to describe it) the gypsy trailer next to the one he was in.

...was there ever any success for the place?

I tried briefly with no success. 

Edited by DuPz0r

DuPz0r

Was doing my interior rounds in Rhodes when I came across this interesting building with props inside:

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

I decided to play god with Mr.Miller... Breached his cabin, and... Yeah, not that.

Edited by DuPz0r

a z

What's screwy if I remember right... that cabin is just fine in the previous game, later in the future.  Rockstar did an awful job in some areas of doing that birth, life, age, and death of locations from the previous game and this one.  There's probably a good dozen locations that don't make sense with how things have to exist to look as old as they do only a few years later (in the first Redemption game).

BallinBallas
3 hours ago, a z said:

What's screwy if I remember right... that cabin is just fine in the previous game, later in the future.  Rockstar did an awful job in some areas of doing that birth, life, age, and death of locations from the previous game and this one.  There's probably a good dozen locations that don't make sense with how things have to exist to look as old as they do only a few years later (in the first Redemption game).

I really wish they had taken the time to make an actual 1907 rendition of New Austin & Tall Trees. 

a z
Posted (edited)

Deeper tall tree areas too... like expand westwards up the river that used flow into the Aurora Basin that's no longer there.  Imagine if it wrapped around Cochinay to Owanjila Dam!

Edited by a z

DuPz0r

Yeah some places in RDR1 territory had no care put into them at all.

I managed to get in up the staircase and have a good look around upstairs in the Van Horn Fence with all of the assets for the first time!

previously I breached in from a window, and nothing loaded inside.

a z

Wow!  Obviously a planned out space.  Stripping props out props was probably an easier thing to do by simply renaming the streaming decor file.  Going in and hand removing furniture was probably not worth the effort considering they had to do this to 10s if not 100s of places in the game to get it published and squeezing up performance.   

Now imagine if each town let you purchase a location as a safehouse, no longer making you have to go to a hotel each time.  In Van Horn, I would've love for this end-of-pier location to be that safehouse.  What places in other towns would be an inspiring location for a cowboy to crash?

1. Van Horn
  2. Valentine
  3. Strawberry
  4. Blackwater
  5. Annesburg
  6. Saint Denis
  7. Rhodes
  8. Armadillo
  9. Tumbleweed

And of course non town locations like:

1. Mount Hagen
  2. Lagas
  3. Agil Rise Cabin
  4. Ridge View Cabin
  5. Shepherd's Rise Cabin
  6. Thieves' Landing
  7. Emerald Ranch

Get crazy and what about adding Seasons so the northern snow can melt then fix up Abigail's old farm to operate it like Beecher's Hope?

Side step that idea... imagine if you could purchase businesses.  You spend a chunk of change for a store, have to pay the weekly restock to increase weekly profit.  Fight off bandits who want to either steal the supply wagons, rob the store.  Track down the bandits to their camp to retrieve what they stole... sort of like a Bounty except for Booty.

DuPz0r

Did you guys notice there's a whole unreachable cave system where the devil hermit lives? There are cave paintings up there.

a z

It took a couple minutes for me to figure out it's a magnetic ledge grab that slurps you over the distance between the ledge and the stalagmite you stand on.  It was cool being up there ... then of course made me sad to see potential that was never used.  The guy up there does nothing other than talking.  It really makes me wonder what was originally planned for that location.

I noticed a hole in the ceiling for the first big chamber which had the bridge.  Marking it, I then drunk teleported above.  I couldn't find that hole though, so it must be a one-side gap.  To contrast that... the holes in the celing and walls of the large cave under the waterfall near Elysian Pool can be seen from the outside (and entered!)

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Yeah sorry, I didn't quite explain how to get up there. You have to kind of tap X to run at the broken stalagmite, then jump on it, then off of it towards the ledge. The run animation gives you a faster jump up onto it, then a longer jump distance to the ledge.

The cave system is very detailed, and completely out of sight. If it wasn't for it being on the map, I may have never even decided to look up there...

This video is a little underwhelming compared to that one, but it's still charting interiors which I plan to keep doing in our mapping thread until I can't chart anymore! 😂

I came across an interior space in what looks like a wood mill (could be wrong, so tell me if anyone knows what it actually is) by a quick glance on the way to a different location.

Edited by DuPz0r

a z

Have you tried getting into the single 2nd story room of that small mansion on the southside of Rhodes (the one with the gazebo)?  You can see an interior from a window after you walk up the stairs on the backside.

Noru122

I ended up making a quick video comparing some areas from the first RDR to RDR 2.

I did have extra footage of some areas in more detail but unfortunately that footage ended up getting corrupt so I put together what I had. I may go back and redo them.

SneakyDeaky

Somewhat map related, but on V1.0.2 if I make camp near Beaver Hollow during the Epilogue, whenever I now load this save I spawn in a camp with my horse in this cave, from the Butcher Creek questline. I'm pretty sure we are not supposed to be able to camp here, but perhaps I'm wrong?

https://streamable.com/i6jxw

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

I returned to Guarma recently to try and get into some of the places I unsuccessfully tried in the past. Specifically the Aguasdulces Mansion/Fort. I managed to get in the outer wall but found it has a huge interior box inside. Also, some music started playing inside that I've never heard before.  I mean the music could be just part of Guarma's ambient soundtrack, but I honestly do not recall hearing it ever before.

I also forgot to mention in the video that the huge wooden window shutters actually have windows and curtains behind them. Even though you never see them open. Which is more evidence to suggest it was built with an interior in mind.

Edited by DuPz0r

a z
Posted (edited)

Thinkin' about it... it's more exciting to imagine you rescuing the Captain from this building instead of that village shake.  Maybe it was this...

• Dutch + Arthur rescue Javier from the VILLAGE, so the never travel through the cave
  • Dutch + Arthur rescue the ship Captain from this BUILDING.  First they travel through the cave and into the basement, then they do the Mexican Stand-Off in the building, then fight their way outside back to camp.  A later mission has you blow up the tower and escape to the boat.
Edited by a z

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Noru122 said:

I ended up making a quick video comparing some areas from the first RDR to RDR 2.

I did have extra footage of some areas in more detail but unfortunately that footage ended up getting corrupt so I put together what I had. I may go back and redo them.

Great job. I'm on PS4 so i can't do proper video comparisons of RDR1 like i wanted to.

16 minutes ago, a z said:

Thinkin' about it... it's more exciting to imagine you rescuing the Captain from this building instead of that village shake.  Maybe it was this...

• Dutch + Arthur rescue Javier from the VILLAGE, so the never travel through the cave
  • Dutch + Arthur rescue the ship Captain from this BUILDING.  First they travel through the cave and into the basement, then they do the Mexican Stand-Off in the building, then fight their way outside back to camp.  A later mission has you blow up the tower and escape to the boat.

That would be great. I'm wondering how it would have looked inside. A stark contrast from the camp i bet.

I wish you could use cheats in Guarma too, since i could have spawned a wagon or a circus cart to climb up to look at the top floor in more detail. Maybe I should return to Guarma with a cart and try to get it there in one piece lol

Edited by DuPz0r

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)

So, I have some... what look like statues on my map, northeast of the Mysterious Hill Home marked as a point of interest. The only thing is there's nothing of interest in the location there. Certainly no statues. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Did I miss something? Sometimes I miss really obvious stuff

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

MarlboroMan1995
4 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

So, I have some... what look like statues on my map, northeast of the Mysterious Hill Home marked as a point of interest. The only thing is there's nothing of interest in the location there. Certainly no statues. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Did I miss something? Sometimes I miss really obvious stuff

Look for a crease in the rocks on the mountain side. Then go inside....

For a more precise location just look it up lol

DuPz0r
38 minutes ago, MarlboroMan1995 said:

Look for a crease in the rocks on the mountain side. Then go inside....

For a more precise location just look it up lol

To be honest i was hoping for more from that place.

Bobby West
5 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

That happened to me too where the statues randomly showed up as a drawing on my map before I had even come close to finding them.

Noru122
Posted (edited)

I wasn't originally going to make this but after roaming around Mexico the other night I thought maybe there is enough here to do a comparison after all. It's a shame that this place wasn't fully added into the game but I really hope that someday it will be.

Edited by Noru122

DuPz0r

That's essentially what I've got lined up lol but not animated RDR1 lol Good job.

I had a look around Cinco Torres to see if I could find anything new.