1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

UnexpectedParole

@Dupzor

I'm 80% certain

#09 Eat of Knowledge is in the abandoned mine NW of Valentine.  Is it the Millesani Claim?

I was making a point to visit all the buildings on the map and I'm pretty sure that is where I saw that text, heading se from Mt. Hagen

Dark Rosewood Varnish
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, UnexpectedParole said:

@Dupzor

I'm 80% certain

#09 Eat of Knowledge is in the abandoned mine NW of Valentine.  Is it the Millesani Claim?

I was making a point to visit all the buildings on the map and I'm pretty sure that is where I saw that text, heading se from Mt. Hagen

Eat Of Knowledge can be found above the the door frame in the cabin thats on the south shore of Lake Don Julio, New Austin. 

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish

UnexpectedParole
2 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Eat Of Knowledge can be found above the the door frame in the cabin thats on the south shore of Lake Don Julio, New Austin. 

Fair enough. My mistake. I know I found one there in the mine though and that was not listed as a local. So I'm partly right?

maybe. Which is strictly speaking incorrect. Good catch.

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Yeah, that one was found and brought tae ma attention a couple of days ago. I've not updated those in this thread, i made a seperate one on the forum just for that hunt.

Thanks for helping oot though, i appreciate it.

Edited by DuPz0r

UnexpectedParole

Sorry mate, i read the title on that to be the rock carvings and avoided it like the plague since i'm trying to find them all on my own with no help.

But I see now that it is the cheat codes and will post any I find there. I struggle with the English Language. :) 

DuPz0r

No problem @UnexpectedParole .

After a few days of trying, and speaking with one of the guys that have made it to Nekoti Rock, I finally conquered it! It was one place I never managed to get to, and now I can put that to rest! lol

This should also help anyone else attempting to take the challenge so you know what you're up against before you get there:

ivarblaauw
2 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

No problem @UnexpectedParole .

After a few days of trying, and speaking with one of the guys that have made it to Nekoti Rock, I finally conquered it! It was one place I never managed to get to, and now I can put that to rest! lol

This should also help anyone else attempting to take the challenge so you know what you're up against before you get there:

I find it funny that even though we know the scale hasn't changed, that it all feels much larger and faster. Even when I am using a screenshot of RDR1 of the same place, it still looks like RDR2 is larger. Even though we know it isn't. That is some excellent work from Rockstargames.

Also the whole Cochinay feels like it will be added as dlc later on. It looks like it is an unfinished part of the map xD

a z

Dutch jumped from the cave exit further west.  It's sort of along that spine you traveled.  I tried finding something that looked like that edge with no success.  Nekoti Rock from my memory was only about the bear cave (and the great view!)   If I saw it right, it looks like the trail down is still there from the top, except it doesn't continue all the way down.  The path in the last game was almost too unrealistic to get up.

DuPz0r

That cave exit only looks like a jump down from though? in RDR1 it was a lot higher, enough to kill him. If that is the same cave exit, his death is laughable in the RDR2 universe... 😂

BallinBallas

has anyone noticed any differences in Mexico between 1.00 & 1.07? I’ve seen comments saying so on Reddit, but I’ve only ever noticed less of the ambience spilling over to the San Luis river. thoughts?

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BallinBallas said:

has anyone noticed any differences in Mexico between 1.00 & 1.07? I’ve seen comments saying so on Reddit, but I’ve only ever noticed less of the ambience spilling over to the San Luis river. thoughts?

I've been there a lot since the update and all I see different is the lack of Ambient Occlusion really. No changes in mesh or anything. I still hear the unique music and the ambient barking noises in Perdido.

What were people saying about it? Was there more content in version 1.00? I don't think I even managed to breach to Mexico until at least v1.02/1.03

Edited by DuPz0r

BallinBallas
8 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I've been there a lot since the update and all I see different is the lack of Ambient Occlusion really. No changes in mesh or anything. I still hear the unique music and the ambient barking noises in Perdido.

What were people saying about it? Was there more content in version 1.00? I don't think I even managed to breach to Mexico until at least v1.02/1.03

I don’t have the links currently but I’ve read about changes in the graves at Sepulcro and that it had it’s own unique weather system before patches. I’m on v1.00 and haven’t noticed though 

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Well, it does have unique weather in the current versions. Similar to New Austin but It's always hot & dusty, never once has it rained when I've traversed it. And it's not really misty that often either. 

Things I've noticed to suggest Mexico was built to be in the game:

• Nuevo Parisio is fully modeled. (Maybe not to the same standards, but it's mostly there).
  • The full terrain topography is on the map that comes with the game disc (standard edition & up), even though it's been erased from the in-game map.
  • Unique RDR 1 style music plays in certain parts of Nuevo that you won't hear anywhere else.
  • That barking noise in Perdido is unique to that zone.
  • Railway paths are etched into the map surface where they're meant to be.
  • Roads & Paths are all there.
  • Flat surfaces & open spaces where towns are meant to be like they could just drop them in at any time.
  • No slip zones along 90% of the San Luis river so you can go fishing freely

And I'm currently working on a town comparison video, where I'll be matching shots from RDR1 to prove that they can be dropped in at any time.

Here's my shots side-by-side actually

rbj0SCo.jpg

pRNtP8I.jpg

aEArn4z.jpg

wEcks0p.jpg

uHPDmsS.jpg

QFOR8yn.jpg

0I0Cl2T.jpg

Edited by DuPz0r

BallinBallas
39 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

Well, it does have unique weather in the current versions. Similar to New Austin but It's always hot & dusty, never once has it rained when I've traversed it. And it's not really misty that often either. 

• Nuevo Parisio is fully modeled. (Maybe not to the same standards, but it's mostly there).
  • The full terrain topography is on the map that comes with the game disc (standard edition & up), even though it's been erased from the in-game map.
  • Unique RDR 1 style music plays in certain parts of Nuevo that you won't hear anywhere else.
  • Flat surfaces & open spaces where towns are meant to be like they could just drop them in at any time.

And I'm currently working on a town comparison video, where I'll be matching shots from RDR1 to prove that they can be dropped in at any time.

My special edition map shows some town markings that weren’t on the standard map. I believe it was the outlines of Chuparosa if I remember correctly. I wonder if this is the same for all special edition maps or if they caught on to it mid-printing? as for the dogs barking, Chuparosa & Escalera are booming with ambience. I swear I had an invisible horse next to me at one point lol. I find Nuevo Paraiso to be fascinating in this game

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, BallinBallas said:

My special edition map shows some town markings that weren’t on the standard map. I believe it was the outlines of Chuparosa if I remember correctly. I wonder if this is the same for all special edition maps or if they caught on to it mid-printing? as for the dogs barking, Chuparosa & Escalera are booming with ambience. I swear I had an invisible horse next to me at one point lol. I find Nuevo Paraiso to be fascinating in this game

My special edition also has some town markings too. So that's evidence that they did have the towns mapped out at some point in development.

Edited by DuPz0r

Fluffy Sock

^Chuparosa and Las Hermanas, definitely.

AA7wEQz.jpg

BallinBallas
3 hours ago, Fluffy Sock said:

^Chuparosa and Las Hermanas, definitely.

AA7wEQz.jpg

I feel like before they completely cut out Mexico that they planned to leave more than a low-res El Presidio as back drop, but to save memory, they got rid of everything last minute instead.it would explain there being less towns than usual on the map. Just a theory though  

MarlboroMan1995

@Fluffy Sock I was expecting to be able to see them once I unlocked NA. I rushed and spotted el presidio, but feel to disappointment for chuparosa!

AndyGanteks
Posted (edited)

These comparison shots are great. Do few more places if you can DupZor.:^:

Edited by AndyGanteks

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Didn't even realize there was an interior to pronghorn... Was it shown in a cutscene or something? I must have skipped it by mistake if there was.

Edited by DuPz0r

Arthur Bell

Mexico was strangely not settled until 1908. 

a z
4 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Didn't even realize there was an interior to pronghorn... Was it shown in a cutscene or something? I must have skipped it by mistake if there was.

They opened the door once or twice while you stood on the porch.  I tried my best to peek in with no success -- thanks for the video!

DuPz0r

I found a secret/half finished room inside the abandoned Saloon in Emerald Ranch.

DuPz0r

Anyone else noticed these names inside the basement of Old Trial Rise?

simmun
On 4/1/2019 at 4:06 PM, ivarblaauw said:

I agree with that theory, since it is the only one which actually makes sense. It could also be East Elizabeth, but I really doubt that would be. It's more moderate climate as the desert we saw in the picture. 

The High Plains (north of New Austin) is the only logical location, especially since they were chased from the west over the Redemption mountains/Grizzlies to West Elizabeth. It would make sense both story wise and by geography. Also this location is absolutely huge. The meshed location is about 1.5x-2x the size of New Austin. For now I call these the Northwestern Territories, in lack of a better name, but I guess these that later in the franchise, this will exists of two or even three states. This would also be the location where the soldiers from Fort Mercer went to fight the Indian Wars. While the southern valleys would show parts of Utah and Nevada, the northern valleys would more closely resemble Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dutch gang photo credits

As you can see, the landscape is quite similar to New Austin, so it would definitely be just north of New Austin (the other side of the Redemption Mountains). *Although I wouldn't be surprised if this was taken in GTA V or New Austin/Nuevo Paraiso anyway. 

Canyon City would be placed in the Southwest Territories. The Southwestern Territories in Red Dead would most likely have influences from the Arizona and California deserts (as seen in GTA V), just like New Austin. Don't forget the name 'Canyon City', which makes me guess it features Grand Canyon like locations based of (indeed): Arizona. So we can already get some sort of rough outline of how the territory would look like.

100% agree with this theory. Would be interesting to explore this further - maybe even try to find possible routes through "the high plains" (north of New Austin) for verification. Is anyone interested to explore this region with the aim of coming up with potential routes?

ivarblaauw
6 hours ago, simmun said:

100% agree with this theory. Would be interesting to explore this further - maybe even try to find possible routes through "the high plains" (north of New Austin) for verification. Is anyone interested to explore this region with the aim of coming up with potential routes?

tried to go up there yesterday, but failed horribly. After about an hour of trying: one horse had died and another horse ran away.

Perhaps one of our friends can try to find possible routes which link to Aurora Basin? :)

Lance_Vance89
On 4/2/2019 at 3:46 PM, ivarblaauw said:

Also the whole Cochinay feels like it will be added as dlc later on

http://i.imgur.com/3vKJqc7.gif

a z
13 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

tried to go up there yesterday, but failed horribly. After about an hour of trying: one horse had died and another horse ran away.

Perhaps one of our friends can try to find possible routes which link to Aurora Basin? :)

There's nothing of note up there. I did an exploration a month ago.  There is one section of cactus desert however it's pretty basic. And I noticed some of not all them have no collision. 😛

That's not to say someone shouldn't kook now!  Only saying nothing stood out to me when I rode all the way around New Austin 

tonko
On 4/2/2019 at 9:38 PM, DuPz0r said:

Here's my shots side-by-side actually

rbj0SCo.jpg

pRNtP8I.jpg

aEArn4z.jpg

wEcks0p.jpg

uHPDmsS.jpg

QFOR8yn.jpg

0I0Cl2T.jpg

Great work dude! Maybe Mexico isn't a pipe dream.

DuPz0r

Yeah we can only wish for a Mexico DLC!

I found an interior inside one of the waterfront stores. It's basic, but they went to the trouble to layout the inside of it.