3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

DuPz0r

Annesburg Tavern actually has an interior... Can't get inside though, I've tried so many times!

BobyFrançais
2 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Annesburg Tavern actually has an interior... Can't get inside though, I've tried so many times!

The store has probably an interior too.

a z

I totally suspect this was a full tavern cut from the game.  Thank you for getting a peek inside!  Across from it was a General Store too if I recall.  What we got instead was a gun shop with a weird neighboring building hotel.  I also noticed the Post Office has a full man-sized door safe in it.   

The biggest thing... the red coal building has a lot of things going on in it, like the train coal transfer under it.  Yet, it's only used in that one MEH mission.  Dutch has spent most of the game complaining about how Cornwall as done everyone wrong.  On and on... okay, so this must be the big baddie of Red Dead!  Expect an epic mission or series of missions chasing down Cornwall!  WRONG, hahahaha... nope, Dutch shoots Cornwall in a cutscene, no player choice, can't even inspect the body.  The actual mission is you trying to flee the area.  It's like talking about Lex Luthor for 3 movies then having Batman swing in to execute him before you get to even talk to the guy.

I digress though...

Annesburg felt like it was designed to have all these interiors...

Designed

1. Tavern
  2. Gunsmith
  3. Hotel
  4. Sherriff's Office
  5. General Store
  6. Worker Cabins
  7. Post Office / Bank
  8. Coal Transfer Building
  9. Mines

What we got

1. Gunsmith / Hotel
  2. Sherriff's Office
  3. Coal Transfer Building
  4. Mines (severely under-used too)

(No place to buy general supplies, eat, or drink in this whole northeastern section of the map)

BobyFrançais
9 minutes ago, a z said:

Je soupçonne totalement que c'était une taverne complète du jeu. Merci de jeter un coup d'oeil à l'intérieur! En face, il y avait aussi un magasin général, si je me souviens bien. Ce que nous avons eu à la place, c’était un magasin d’armes et un étrange hôtel voisin. J'ai aussi remarqué que le bureau de poste avait un coffre-fort complet à la taille d'un homme.   

La chose la plus importante… le bâtiment au charbon rouge contient beaucoup de choses, comme le transfert de charbon de train sous celui-ci. Pourtant, il n’est utilisé que dans cette mission MEH. Dutch a passé la majeure partie du match à se plaindre de la façon dont Cornwall avait mal agi. Et ainsi de suite ... ok, donc ça doit être le grand méchant de Red Dead! Attendez-vous à une mission épique ou à une série de missions à la poursuite de Cornwall! FAUX, hahahaha ... non, Dutch dirige Cornwall dans une cinématique, aucun choix de joueur, il ne peut même pas inspecter le corps. La mission réelle est de vous essayer de fuir la région. C'est comme parler de Lex Luthor pour 3 films, puis demander à Batman de l'exécuter avant même que vous ne parliez au gars.

Je m'égare bien ...

Annesburg avait l’impression d’avoir été conçue pour avoir tous ces intérieurs ...

Conçu

1. Taverne
  2. Armurier
  3. Un hôtel
  4. Le bureau de Sherriff
  5. Magasin général
  6. Cabines de Travailleurs
  7. Bureau de poste / banque
  8. Bâtiment de transfert de charbon
  9. Les mines

Ce que nous avons

1. Armurier / Hôtel
  2. Le bureau de Sherriff
  3. Bâtiment de transfert de charbon
  4. Mines (gravement sous-utilisées aussi)

(Aucun endroit pour acheter des fournitures générales, manger ou boire dans cette partie nord-est de la 

I I also wonder if Armadillo also has an interior for the gunsmith and the doctor's office. I checked the doctor's office at Strawberry, but the interior doesn't load (we can see it in an epilogue mission).

There probably a lot of unused interiors in this games. 

Cutter De Blanc
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BobyFrançais said:

I I also wonder if Armadillo also has an interior for the gunsmith and the doctor's office. 

The doctor's office does, however it's incomplete.  No textures,  you can walk through the counter, and sand blows through the walls. The schoolhouse/cinema also has an incomplete interior. The gunsmith does not. 

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

DuPz0r

I captured some footage of that cool avalanche environment out to the west of Isabella. Those of you that do a lot of out of the map exploring will likely have come across it at some point. It's hidden and out of the way from the main map and really questions whether or not it was meant to be in bounds at some point during development. The leaked map already shows how much the map had changed in just a year or two, so anything is possible at this point...

DuPz0r

I know most of you have explored extensively outside of the map, and this is one of the more visited locations, but I wanted to start documenting all the main landmarks or points of interest outside of the map since I feel like they deserve to be seen, and talked about.

Gtaman_92
Posted (edited)

@DuPz0r can you do a video on those large Crevasse That’s north of Grizzlies West? It’s near the glacier area.

Edited by Gtaman_92

Maddened_Ghost
Posted (edited)

I'm a bit out of the loop on this subject since I stopped exploring to finish my walkthrough, what's the current way of getting out of bounds?

I'm debating on downgrading my game since I have no interest in Online (at least not in it's current state) but I won't do that yet

can anyone tell me how do we get out of the map? I used the camp spawn on the north but I've heard that was patched (I also have markers out of the map that I can't get rid of now lol)

Edited by Maddened_Ghost

a z

If you have a save point with that out of bounds camp, it should still work (I haven't update with latest yet).  DuPzOr has a video getting out on the far northeastern side I believe.

Cutter De Blanc
51 minutes ago, Maddened_Ghost said:

I'm a bit out of the loop on this subject since I stopped exploring to finish my walkthrough, what's the current way of getting out of bounds?

I'm debating on downgrading my game since I have no interest in Online (at least not in it's current state) but I won't do that yet

can anyone tell me how do we get out of the map? I used the camp spawn on the north but I've heard that was patched (I also have markers out of the map that I can't get rid of now lol)

Drinking glitch still works, I hear

a z
Posted (edited)

The more I run around this northwest out-of-bounds area, the more I think it was made for an earlier mission.  Maybe it was the route Dutch took everyone to escape Blackwater?

uhwPmFf.png

So many of these areas couldn't have been created by terrain generation.  They're too specific.

• A = the Avalanche with hand placed objects.
  • B = a long river bed that stretches up the valley
  • B dot = hand placed boulder and logs
  • C = the Waterfall edge
  • D = side discovery... the terrain patches don't match here. You can see under the world and watch streaming pop in and out.  This seam matches a grid edge on the leaked map.
  • E = a background lake you can explore. The water is only a texture sheet with no collision.
  • F = a modeled ice stair-step shelf
  • G = a large chasm
  • H = the larger glacial chasms documented by DuPzOr suspected to be where John was originally trapped. There's some notable audio noises triggered in this area.

Perhaps the gang fled up north, avoided an avalanche, wound their way up around chasms only to have John fall into one.

BIGGER VERSION below

Spoiler

Click it again to get even larger.

DkrkdZp.jpg

Edited by a z

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Nice interpretation Alz, I also suspect that there was a mission cut from the early game, it's just too much detail to be made for nothing.

Here's a closer look at Guarma's Volcanic center

Edited by DuPz0r

ivarblaauw
18 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Nice interpretation Alz, I also suspect that there was a mission cut from the early game, it's just too much detail to be made for nothing.

Here's a closer look at Guarma's Volcanic center

I honestly don't understand why Rockstar would go through all that work, meshing, adding fog, adding an entire 'story' there, while we never, ever, see it in game. 

@a z I think you are right, it wouldn't make sense to create a path there, including all kinds of detailed stuff, for nothing.

Sonicdude
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 10:11 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

Drinking glitch still works, I hear

I can confirm that the drinking glitch does indeed still work in the latest patch. At least in the Epilogue.

Edited by Sonicdude

DuPz0r
On 3/26/2019 at 4:59 AM, a z said:

The more I run around this northwest out-of-bounds area, the more I think it was made for an earlier mission.  Maybe it was the route Dutch took everyone to escape Blackwater?

uhwPmFf.png

So many of these areas couldn't have been created by terrain generation.  They're too specific.

• A = the Avalanche with hand placed objects.
  • B = a long river bed that stretches up the valley
  • B dot = hand placed boulder and logs
  • C = the Waterfall edge
  • D = side discovery... the terrain patches don't match here. You can see under the world and watch streaming pop in and out.  This seam matches a grid edge on the leaked map.
  • E = a background lake you can explore. The water is only a texture sheet with no collision.
  • F = a modeled ice stair-step shelf
  • G = a large chasm
  • H = the larger glacial chasms documented by DuPzOr suspected to be where John was originally trapped. There's some notable audio noises triggered in this area.

Perhaps the gang fled up north, avoided an avalanche, wound their way up around chasms only to have John fall into one.

BIGGER VERSION below

Reveal hidden contents

Click it again to get even larger.

DkrkdZp.jpg

The Frozen Lake was the next in my list of Points of Interest. There are so many cool things to look at in the snowy part of the map, that unless you stop to look, you can easily miss, and pass straight by.

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

I've recently found out that there are cheat codes that exist in the world of RDR2 in the form of Easter Egg. I remember seeing writing carved into things but never really made the connection. So now I am aware of their existence, I decided to look on the web for these locations. And I have had zero luck in doing so. I am aware all the cheats have been available since the game's release, but I was more interested in the locations.

Now then, after an extensive search around the map these past few days, I have found 15 locations that have carvings of cheats on them. Now I also realize that some cheat codes are from newspapers, so now I'm narrowing them down to see which ones are still missing. I was hoping you guys could help me since I haven't seen a single shred of compiled data for all these locations online.

I decided to post it here since the mapping thread is full of regulars that have probably covered the map many times over, and may know of a carving or two that may be missing from my compiled list.

So here are the cheats in the order they appear in the cheat menu on-screen:

Red is Newspapers, green is the ones I've found and white is still unknown

#01 Abundance is the dullest desire

#02 A simple life, a beautiful death

#03 Greed is American Virtue

#04 Death is silence

#05 History is written by fools

#06 You long for sight and see nothing

#07 Greed is now a virtue

#08 Vanity. All is vanity

#09 Eat of Knowledge

#10 Share

#11 Virtue Unearned is not virtue

#12 You revel in your disgrace, I see

#13 Balance. All is balance

#14 Be greedy only for foresight

#15 The lucky be strong evermore

#16.1 Guide me better

#16.2 Make me better

#16.3 I shall be better

#16.4 I still seek more

#16.5 I seek and I find

#17 You flourish before you die

#18 Seek all the bounty of this place

#19 You Seek More Than The World Offers

#20 My kingdom is a horse

#21 Better than my dog

#22 A fool on command

#23 Run! Run! Run!

#24 You are a beast built for war

#25 You want more than you have

#26 You want something new

#27 The best of the old ways

#28 Keep your dreams simple

#29 Would you be happier as a clown?

#30 Keep your dreams light

#31 You want punishment

#32 You want freedom

#33 You want everyone to go away

Here are the spots I've found for reference (videos also coming soon)

#04 Adler's Ranch, Northwest Grizzlies

k6upShK.jpg

#08 Fence, St Denis

Vl7DEYE.jpg

#05 Railway Trading Post, Southen Heartlands

iP0DEwM.jpg

#10 Pleasance House, Cholla Springs

JRHSPfV.jpg

#13 Lookout Tower, Roanoke Ridge

pBshXVv.jpg

#16.2 Ambarino Sign, Grizzlies East

JXU3FgR.jpg

#16.5 Railroad Tunnel, East of Cattail Pond

Q6jAW5B.jpg

#17 Broken Shack, West of Lake Isabella

IMn6S6Z.jpg

#18 Little Boathouse, Lagras

5rLAzuR.jpg

#22 Millesani Claim, Inside the Mine, Mt.Hagen

XA51dco.jpg

#21 Shipwreck, Northeast of Annesburg, Lanahechee

Ykc2APB.jpg

#23 Fort Riggs, WE

k1GVEad.jpg

#25 Deer Cottage, Roanoke Ridge

Pm7tyOp.jpg

#31 Vetter's Echo, Big Valley

1rxcHS3.jpg

#28 Cairn Lake, East of Spider Gorge 

sQEEHYQ.jpg

Here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/yw8LAX6

I'm asking you guys if you want to help me compile the list, and see if we can find every last cheat carving easteregg on the map? Thanks

So, to summarise there's:

8 Newspaper Cheat Codes

15 Found Locations

14 Unknown?

#02 A simple life, a beautiful death

#07 Greed is now a virtue

#09 Eat of Knowledge

#12 You revel in your disgrace, I see

#14 Be greedy only for foresight

#16.1 Guide me better

#16.3 I shall be better

#16.4 I still seek more

#20 My kingdom is a horse

#26 You want something new

#27 The best of the old ways

#30 Keep your dreams light

#32 You want freedom

#33 You want everyone to go away

Could those 14 codes be located somewhere in the world? Let the hunt begin!

And of course, I'm charting them in map form too!

Edited by DuPz0r

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Just found another one:

#16.3 Shipwreck Island, West of Clement Point

I3LzySy.jpg

That leaves 13 more phrases!

Edited by DuPz0r

DuPz0r

I'm certain this is the spot for El Hueco, I'm just not 100% sure what it was. A bayside fishing village, a revolutionary hideout, a cove or cave?

a z

I would've loved to see a larger town in this setting.  It'd so disappointing to not be able to explore the island in the final game.  (you rock at doing all these vids as always!)

AndyGanteks

Dupzor maybe you could make a separate topic for those cheats to see if we can find them all, most of the guides on the internet are indeed incomplete.

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AndyGanteks said:

Dupzor maybe you could make a separate topic for those cheats to see if we can find them all, most of the guides on the internet are indeed incomplete.

Yeah I guess it's worth a shot

I've been trying to get on Nekoti Rock for the past couple of days, with no luck. You can sort of get across to it from outside of the map, but then there's a tall slope that I just cannot get up. Anyone else had luck getting on top of it? It would be really interesting to see if there is anything up there to suggest the mineshafts or even the spot where Dutch killed himself in RDR.

Edited by DuPz0r

Cutter De Blanc
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

I've been trying to get on Nekoti Rock for the past couple of days, with no luck. You can sort of get across to it from outside of the map, but then there's a tall slope that I just cannot get up. Anyone else had luck getting on top of it? It would be really interesting to see if there is anything up there to suggest the mineshafts or even the spot where Dutch killed himself in RDR.

I forgot which one specifically was Nekoti Rock, but I was on top of the Redemption mountains up there, I couldn't find there's any of the stuff from the first game, nice view though

TexasOdysseus

Holy cow @DuPz0r great work!!

So I saw the Death is Silence video, and it gives you stealth weapons, but is there a list of what cheats map to what benefit?

Separately, and I've tried to stay abreast of the map stuff, but I'm puzzled about Guarma. To be candid, Guarma pisses me off. It's so rich and completed but only shows up in a linear chapter and you can't really free roam it in story mode. I've seen the ferry thing to get back to Guarma, but is there another easier/quicker way to get there to free roam?

Apologies for asking a fatuous question that's likely been asked and answered several times. 

a z
Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I forgot which one specifically was Nekoti Rock, but I was on top of the Redemption mountains up there, I couldn't find there's any of the stuff from the first game, nice view though

I remember the disappointment when Cochinay was empty and the cave entrance from the last game was no more than a shallow nook in the rock wall.  There's no ledge where Dutch killed himself, no path up to Brumas' cave, no old mining operation and broken train track ... which also had the 3rd cave in the area.

Reference Videos

Spoiler

Edited by a z

DuPz0r
Posted (edited)

Other than our theories about there being cut story missions from the start, I also noticed that the Marston Glacier mission was cut slightly. And by that, I mean the part of the map where you don't see them, go through the glacial fault. unnecessarily cut imo, since we never get to go back there and see it.

Edited by DuPz0r

a z

I never knew about this short path!  I thought it was always the larger faults on the edges.  I'm guessing you never found a path down to the deeper ones without buggy-falling.  If it only had one section like this short path to get down and back.  I remember you pointing out a possible blocked cave entrances though.  Maybe that deeper blocked section was the original mission space.  Then they changed it to this upper area.  User tests might've revealed the dull frustration of limping along with John at such an early mission so they cut the route.  In an open world game, all spaces should have at least a non-mission purpose to explore.  For example.... it could've been home to something like the Legendary Bobcat.

ivarblaauw
13 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Other than our theories about there being cut story missions from the start, I also noticed that the Marston Glacier mission was cut slightly. And by that, I mean the part of the map where you don't see them, go through the glacial fault. unnecessarily cut imo, since we never get to go back there and see it.

All this not utilized content. It starts to hurt actually.
The list so far (starting with cut content), large list, so I put it in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Cut content:
- Upper Northwestern Territory (CUT content): we have a HUGE snow region, including lakes, paths, avalanches and glaciers.
- Northern & Northeastern Territory (at least party CUT content): To the north of Ambarino is a huge forest area, including Tempest Rim (cut). This gradually changes to mountainous canyons (very similar to the Apache territory in CoJ: Gunslinger), including paths and riverbeds (with no water) in the north east. We even see burned trees and lakes which is an extension of areas we can go to.

Possibly we could see this as a DLC if Rockstargames chooses to do anthology stories for Charles and Sadie. I even found an easter egg in the most eastern snowy area, a rock in the shape of a rodent.

DLC leak (leak told us RDR1 would be remastered + voices found ingame + soundtrack is present in that area):
- Nuevo Paraiso: We have Mexico which is fully meshed, just no towns :(. If you want a map dlc, this is the most likely one we will get.

Lore based regions:

- East Elizabeth (south east of the Great Plains): Not utilized and we have all tried to go there since RDR1 (don't lie, you tried it). It looks like a combination of Hennigan's Stead and the Great Plains. Quite detailed in the northern area, gets less detailed the more you go south.

- High Plains (Lower North Western Territories): confirmed area North of New Austin... this area is absolutely huge. It even features multiple valleys. Probably also the location where the picture was made we see of the gang in the credits. Not meshed totally, but features to some extent foliage. Also home of the Redemption Mountains, which serves as a natural barrier between the Northwestern territories, New Austin, West Elizabeth and Ambarino.
- Eastern USA: Haven't been able to go there myself, but it is still present in the game area. It could be used to extend the bayou area and add some farms and plantations.
- Eastern Mexico: To the south of Saint Denis is an area we won't see in the single player at all. It looks like a combination of Guarma and Bayou countryside. Would have loved to see this utilized in some form for Mexico dlc.
- Northern valley (North of Tempest Rim, located in the Northern Regions): looks like an area straight out the North American Pacific Northwest, as seen in TheHunter: Call of the Wild. Could be epic for either an off map experience or an Alaskanesque/Canadian region.
- Canyon City: confirmed location in the Southwestern territories. West of New Austin and we can actually see some of the saltlakes in the area. Probably encircles Nuevo Paraiso. Proof:

Spoiler

SkMFtlA.jpg

Out of bounds (fall through):

- Northern USA: Mountains and valleys slightly meshed. Could be utilized in Red Dead Redemption #much 😂
- Eastern USA: features a large river, eventually leading to out of bounds 'sea'.
- Western USA, only visible from the High Plains or Northern Territories. 
- Southern Mexico: Huge valley south of Nuevo Paraiso. Only slightly meshed. 

Off map:
- Guarma: Like... what the f*ck. Why is there an entire island not utilized for gameplay. It is there. It looks AMAZING and we all want to go there. At least multiple areas are cut content.

So what would we be able to see in the future?
I have a list below:

Spoiler

Possible but I have doubt:
Enough options for DLC since some regions "only" need to have some locations added in the form of towns and out of bounds barriers and fix some glitchy areas.

These are:

- The Upper Northwestern territories

- Nuevo Paraiso (possibly coming in a RDR1 remaster).

Not likely at all:
I only see this happening if Red Dead Online suddenly becomes a huge cashcow and they want to add more stories in new locations. (indian wars etc.)
Other areas could be utilized to the fullest with a lot more work:
- High Plains (Lower Northwestern Territory)
- East Elizabeth
- The North/northeastern region. 

Very unlikely:
These areas would have to be created mostly from scratch, since they are not even (fully) meshed on the current map.
- Guarma fully utilized
- Canyon City and it's territory
- the Canadian/Alaskanesque region
- Eastern bayou/farmlands
- Eastern Mexico

Thank you for reading (if you did come this far :) ). 

simmun
3 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

All this not utilized content. It starts to hurt actually.
The list so far (starting with cut content), large list, so I put it in a spoiler tag:

Hide contents

Cut content:
- Upper Northwestern Territory (CUT content): we have a HUGE snow region, including lakes, paths, avalanches and glaciers.
- Northern & Northeastern Territory (at least party CUT content): To the north of Ambarino is a huge forest area, including Tempest Rim (cut). This gradually changes to mountainous canyons (very similar to the Apache territory in CoJ: Gunslinger), including paths and riverbeds (with no water) in the north east. We even see burned trees and lakes which is an extension of areas we can go to.

Possibly we could see this as a DLC if Rockstargames chooses to do anthology stories for Charles and Sadie. I even found an easter egg in the most eastern snowy area, a rock in the shape of a rodent.

DLC leak (leak told us RDR1 would be remastered + voices found ingame + soundtrack is present in that area):
- Nuevo Paraiso: We have Mexico which is fully meshed, just no towns :(. If you want a map dlc, this is the most likely one we will get.

Lore based regions:

- East Elizabeth (south east of the Great Plains): Not utilized and we have all tried to go there since RDR1 (don't lie, you tried it). It looks like a combination of Hennigan's Stead and the Great Plains. Quite detailed in the northern area, gets less detailed the more you go south.

- High Plains (Lower North Western Territories): confirmed area North of New Austin... this area is absolutely huge. It even features multiple valleys. Probably also the location where the picture was made we see of the gang in the credits. Not meshed totally, but features to some extent foliage. Also home of the Redemption Mountains, which serves as a natural barrier between the Northwestern territories, New Austin, West Elizabeth and Ambarino.
- Eastern USA: Haven't been able to go there myself, but it is still present in the game area. It could be used to extend the bayou area and add some farms and plantations.
- Eastern Mexico: To the south of Saint Denis is an area we won't see in the single player at all. It looks like a combination of Guarma and Bayou countryside. Would have loved to see this utilized in some form for Mexico dlc.
- Northern valley (North of Tempest Rim, located in the Northern Regions): looks like an area straight out the North American Pacific Northwest, as seen in TheHunter: Call of the Wild. Could be epic for either an off map experience or an Alaskanesque/Canadian region.
- Canyon City: confirmed location in the Southwestern territories. West of New Austin and we can actually see some of the saltlakes in the area. Probably encircles Nuevo Paraiso. Proof:

Reveal hidden contents

SkMFtlA.jpg

Out of bounds (fall through):

- Northern USA: Mountains and valleys slightly meshed. Could be utilized in Red Dead Redemption #much 😂
- Eastern USA: features a large river, eventually leading to out of bounds 'sea'.
- Western USA, only visible from the High Plains or Northern Territories. 
- Southern Mexico: Huge valley south of Nuevo Paraiso. Only slightly meshed. 

Off map:
- Guarma: Like... what the f*ck. Why is there an entire island not utilized for gameplay. It is there. It looks AMAZING and we all want to go there. At least multiple areas are cut content.

So what would we be able to see in the future?
I have a list below:

Hide contents

Possible but I have doubt:
Enough options for DLC since some regions "only" need to have some locations added in the form of towns and out of bounds barriers and fix some glitchy areas.

These are:

- The Upper Northwestern territories

- Nuevo Paraiso (possibly coming in a RDR1 remaster).

Not likely at all:
I only see this happening if Red Dead Online suddenly becomes a huge cashcow and they want to add more stories in new locations. (indian wars etc.)
Other areas could be utilized to the fullest with a lot more work:
- High Plains (Lower Northwestern Territory)
- East Elizabeth
- The North/northeastern region. 

Very unlikely:
These areas would have to be created mostly from scratch, since they are not even (fully) meshed on the current map.
- Guarma fully utilized
- Canyon City and it's territory
- the Canadian/Alaskanesque region
- Eastern bayou/farmlands
- Eastern Mexico

Thank you for reading (if you did come this far :) ). 

Thanks man for detailing this. Personally, I would be thrilled to see Canyon City and the Southwestern Territory. I have a theory this is where the gang came from before they entered "the map". Remember they were chased from the west and over the mountains. The area north of New Austin would also be cool to explore in a future RDR3 or DLC as the gang must have come this way fleeing from the west (in my theory)to the east. 

ivarblaauw
1 hour ago, simmun said:

Thanks man for detailing this. Personally, I would be thrilled to see Canyon City and the Southwestern Territory. I have a theory this is where the gang came from before they entered "the map". Remember they were chased from the west and over the mountains. The area north of New Austin would also be cool to explore in a future RDR3 or DLC as the gang must have come this way fleeing from the west (in my theory)to the east. 

I agree with that theory, since it is the only one which actually makes sense. It could also be East Elizabeth, but I really doubt that would be. It's more moderate climate as the desert we saw in the picture. 

The High Plains (north of New Austin) is the only logical location, especially since they were chased from the west over the Redemption mountains/Grizzlies to West Elizabeth. It would make sense both story wise and by geography. Also this location is absolutely huge. The meshed location is about 1.5x-2x the size of New Austin. For now I call these the Northwestern Territories, in lack of a better name, but I guess these that later in the franchise, this will exists of two or even three states. This would also be the location where the soldiers from Fort Mercer went to fight the Indian Wars. While the southern valleys would show parts of Utah and Nevada, the northern valleys would more closely resemble Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dutch gang photo credits

As you can see, the landscape is quite similar to New Austin, so it would definitely be just north of New Austin (the other side of the Redemption Mountains). *Although I wouldn't be surprised if this was taken in GTA V or New Austin/Nuevo Paraiso anyway. 

Canyon City would be placed in the Southwest Territories. The Southwestern Territories in Red Dead would most likely have influences from the Arizona and California deserts (as seen in GTA V), just like New Austin. Don't forget the name 'Canyon City', which makes me guess it features Grand Canyon like locations based of (indeed): Arizona. So we can already get some sort of rough outline of how the territory would look like.