3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

Dark Rosewood Varnish

Can someone link me to the clearer version of the leaked map? 

DuPz0r
1 hour ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Can someone link me to the clearer version of the leaked map? 

You're in luck. I cleaned one up myself back when we were mapping the game.

mKW383u.jpg

Dark Rosewood Varnish
9 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

You're in luck. I cleaned one up myself back when we were mapping the game.

mKW383u.jpg

I meant the other one but it's ok I found it on one of the earlier pages in the thread. Thanks anyway. 

Jhonib10

just noticed that Dewberry Creek is marked as a camp, so does this mean our chapter 3 camp was originally going to be there?

DuPz0r

Oh you meant the grey one someone revised? Ah ok, my bad. I always preferred to work from the original because of the terrain map, but that was different i guess.

ivarblaauw
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:19 AM, DuPz0r said:

Holy hand-grenade, Sisika must have a deleted mission or something!

Definitely content coming to online. Don't see them throwing away a huge work like this. Creating this location would have taken a lot of time, IMO I don't think we have seen the last of this location yet ;).

Also @DuPz0r, I want to thank you for your amazing work once again. You are truly the best contributor to this thread since... well the beginning. Thank you for being the reason that I come back to this thread every day!

14 hours ago, jje1000 said:

Have people considered a mapping project for the off-map areas? Might be worth it once the PC version comes out and topography can be extracted.

I think seeing how the lay of the land goes beyond the map would be very interesting.

I have done a bit of the western part of the map when I was trying to map the map before the release. I thought that the regions west would be playable, since they are clearly visible and already created. 

I think that @DuPz0r had already mapped a great deal of the out-of-bound regions. The things we do know, is that the playable map is about 1/3rd of the solid terrain. It is about 1/5th of the visible terrain (although a lot is not solid and you will fall through without warning. *this is however changeable with one perimeter in the engine if R* decided to do so. 

I don't know if you have seen these photo's (including the rodent easter egg)?
https://imgur.com/a/Q7hIDWu

Edited by ivarblaauw

Bobby West

Considering the lantern glitch works on online, you just know Rockstar is going to patch it with their next update. 

DuPz0r

Yeah, I was afraid of that. That's why I'm getting all these videos out now, so I have them documented before we can never get into them again!

coach_wargo
15 hours ago, Jhonib10 said:

just noticed that Dewberry Creek is marked as a camp, so does this mean our chapter 3 camp was originally going to be there?

I just noticed that too. If I remember correctly that's actually the area that you first explore with Charles before deciding on Clemens Point. 

Something else I noticed is that Hanging Dog Ranch is listed as a caravan camp. It could be that it was originally meant to be the the Marston camp in Epilogue 1, but became Pronghorn Ranch instead. Or it could have been a camp before the botched Blackwater robbery. 

I think it's likely that whoever leaked this map was building it from memory, not from an exact file that they had in front of them. That would account for some of the small mistakes such as Van Horn and Annesburg being swapped and the Cumberland Forrest being it's own state running to the north end of the map. 

The Shakermaker

Aint so sure its been talked about. The leaked map didn't have those islands in flat island lake.

Possibly Included later in development so you could get iguanas? 

Cutter De Blanc

I wonder what the Event Area south of the Loft, north of Clingman was supposed to be

Jhonib10
5 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I wonder what the Event Area south of the Loft, north of Clingman was supposed to be

maybe it's Wapiti indian reservation? it's hard to see the letters but it may be a placeholder name for Wapiti

DuPz0r
1 hour ago, Jhonib10 said:

maybe it's Wapiti indian reservation? it's hard to see the letters but it may be a placeholder name for Wapiti

I thought it may have been the "Veteran's Cabin", as in Hamish Sinclair.

Edited by DuPz0r

MarlboroMan1995

I see once again where it appears to say "lake?" next to adler ranch on the leaked map. Any ideas on that? Also, had any body made some kind of overlay to compare the leaked map to the actual one? I think that would be cool lol.

DuPz0r

I made a guide on how to get into the Prison in RDO, so you guys can check out the cellar for yourself.

Mastah
On 2/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, ivarblaauw said:

Also I ain't reserved. I literally asked one of those gamejourno's personally. I can't help that he lied to me?! He literally told me that the map was much larger than GTA V. THIS is what made me believe the map had to be increased in scale, since it wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Yeah did you read that in my replies to this thread?! Because those are ALL there. I was actually one of the people who said that that the map was most likely surrounded by mountains, cliffs and water. Also we were right about the rdr1 map being in rdr2, although only the US part. By the way, that was during the time leaks dropped and liars arrived as well. I have always said that at least New Austin was in, and people laughed in my face back then. But hey? Know what, it is in.

Maybe next time you should be treating all these pre-launch informations as a marketing hoopla, because that's what it is - pieces of facts fed by Rockstar to journalists, who aren't fans as we are, but rather casuals, who can get it wrong more often than not. I recommend it, you aren't disappointed when final game launches and things are not as they were hyped up.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, ivarblaauw said:

The last thing I will say about GTA V (this is the rdr thread after all): there is so much unused stuff, easter eggs, artwork, references to counties (Paleto County is literally named in gta V and the weed farm of Paleto Bay is in fact in Paleto County), which show an expanded shoreline. I'll try to find the document I posted in the gtaV map additions thread. It should still be there. I've included all artwork, references, easter eggs, unused things, we as a community discovered together. Mostly without even going in the code. 

Call it Beta stuff, alpha or just concept ideas, but originally GTA V was meant to have more counties, one even deep into production, so it had to be bigger than it currently was. Even in the last months they completely changed the mountains and areas around it (for the worse, but whatever).

Ah yes, artworks, reliable source of beta content:

Spoiler

official-artwork-beach-weather.jpg

And no, no, no, let's call it exactly what they are: REFERENCES. There's nothing besides them about San Fierro or Las Venturas and definitely no "beta stuff". Case closed.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:31 PM, Nutduster said:

This is still a sore spot for me - not enough mea culpas in this thread. I did get a nice message from ivarblaauw about the scale, but other people practically berated me in here and in PMs because I was trying to keep expectations in the realm of reality. I got a series of nasty personal attacks over the scale issue and doing a measurement indicating St. Denis in particular was not as huge s it looked. That guy never said a word later, of course.

And BretMaverick and I had epic arguments multiple times, about the size, the number of unseen map areas, and more. I especially remember interpreting a preview to suggest that water was being used as a natural boundary and that Arthur would drown if he swam too long. Of course I ended up being right about that, and a lot more. Has he ever even mentioned being wrong as well as incredibly condescending about it? Nope - in fact he's still proposing crazy theories about all these map expansions that are coming.  Sigh.

I feel you. I was wrong thinking leaked map was fake, because that would be a first for Rockstar game and it's simply much more fun to see community-made map coming nicely with screenshots and videos being the only sources, like it was the case with GTA V. I was still sceptical after debut trailer and made few posts explaining why I felt it wasn't real, but with second trailer showing Dakota River meanders I understood the map was indeed genuine.

But as you said, some people had completely unrealistic expectations and they never backed down from their opinions. With RDR2 suddenly all video games and Rockstar games logic went out of the window. Map will be absolutely enormous, old regions upscaled for whatever reason, rivers and lakes easily traversable, no boundaries, no limits, nothing and everything at the same time. Well, about that...

SneakyDeaky

So what, who cares?

There's no need for this thread to turn into a battle of wills. I'm pretty sure everyone was wrong about at least one thing regarding the map, myself included many times. Are we suppose to apologize for speculation?

MarlboroMan1995
1 hour ago, SneakyDeaky said:

So what, who cares?

There's no need for this thread to turn into a battle of wills. I'm pretty sure everyone was wrong about at least one thing regarding the map, myself included many times. Are we suppose to apologize for speculation?

Yeah, I compared a screen of shady belle house to Caliga hall in a trailer on here and we went wild for a couple days thinking they were the same! I was wrong as hell but everybody had fun. So everybody need to calm the f*ck down lol. 

ivarblaauw

I refuse to apologize for the things we ALL did here. I still remember that a lot of us thought that the Lannahechee river was the Kamassa River from Brandywine Drop, thus creating long conversations about the map scale. 

Yeah in the end a lot of us were wrong, but R* sure as hell gave us a wonderful time speculating and discussing. Also they really f*cked us over with showing out of bound areas in trailers. No sh*t we thought the map was larger, WE SAW those locations.

so @Mastah. 'Pieces of facts Rockstar fed to journalists' I still take those as facts and not as speculation. I (and others here) can't help that most of the journalists got it 100% wrong. You are basically saying: 'don't trust anyone but yourself'.

About the map (last time I am gonna say this, since it gets really, really tiresome): 
The playable map is about 1/3rd of the entire traversable map. Much is there but just not reachable (sadly). If we take all the visible locations (including the non traversable ones), the playable map is only 1/5th or even 1/6th of the entire map. Ya know what? That means that the game is much, much, much larger than GTA V ;) about 3/4x. Room enough for possible map expansions and room enough to discuss, speculate and hype ourselves up. Which I think is great.

Btw, I am definitely not disappointed by the game, I am still as hyped as I have always been. Also New Austin and West Elizabeth feel much larger than it's RDR1 counterpart and I sure as hell don't know why. Perhaps because we traverse slower, but well... who cares. The game and the map are great and it all feels real.

Edited by ivarblaauw

DuPz0r

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday on this epic journey to the edge of the world. The rowing glitch allows us to go anywhere out of the map, even beyond the non-solid mesh. So I wanted to see once and for all, what would happen if I went as far west as I possibly could, to see what happens.

This was my line of journey:

jIghqDU.jpg

ivarblaauw

Holy sh*t @DuPz0r how broken are your hands right now from rowing this far xD 

Anyway I honestly expected you to fall out of the map and just die. But there is apparently no limit on water xD

the non solid mesh is huge. absolutely immense. I wonder how much we'll see being created in the next decade or so, either in RDO or RDR3...

Bobby West
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday on this epic journey to the edge of the world. The rowing glitch allows us to go anywhere out of the map, even beyond the non-solid mesh. So I wanted to see once and for all, what would happen if I went as far west as I possibly could, to see what happens.

jIghqDU.jpg

How much further did you end up going after the video ended?

DuPz0r
3 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

Holy sh*t @DuPz0r how broken are your hands right now from rowing this far xD 

Anyway I honestly expected you to fall out of the map and just die. But there is apparently no limit on water xD

the non solid mesh is huge. absolutely immense. I wonder how much we'll see being created in the next decade or so, either in RDO or RDR3...

I had cramp after that journey for sure 😂

3 hours ago, Bobby West said:

How much further did you end up going after the video ended?

Not that far. I tried to get out to get a better shot of the cliff face, but i think the hard world boundary was close.

The current i was talking about felt like the boat was teatherd to some elastic that was anchored in the solid mesh. As soon as i got to that point the boat wanted to u-turn and go back. By the time i exited the map, that was maginfied x10.

I think you see in the video, when i first get out, i stopped rowing, straight away it pulled me around back inside the mesh.

Edited by DuPz0r

Bobby West

Dupr0z you're like the first man on Mars with all of these out of bounds explorations.

Jhonib10
6 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

jIghqDU.jpg

OMFG this is amazing!
F for your thumb btw 😆
I know I said this a hundred times already but it amazes me the places that exist beyond the map bounds, I can see it being modded an playable if a PC version comes out.
Funny that the water covers all the area beneath the map, but when my game bugged and Arthur got under the map there was no water, maybe I was even lower then the water level?

DuPz0r
6 hours ago, Jhonib10 said:

OMFG this is amazing!
F for your thumb btw 😆
I know I said this a hundred times already but it amazes me the places that exist beyond the map bounds, I can see it being modded an playable if a PC version comes out.
Funny that the water covers all the area beneath the map, but when my game bugged and Arthur got under the map there was no water, maybe I was even lower then the water level?

The water only exists because of Guarma. If i didnt do the Guarma glitch first it would be an empty abyss. If you get too close to the mainland, the water unloads and you just fall, with your canoe...

Nutduster
On 2/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, SneakyDeaky said:

So what, who cares?

No, of course not. It's a speculation thread, everyone is wrong sometimes, and it's not a big deal. The only thing that sticks in my craw are that a select handful of people were repeatedly very wrong and also highly condescending about their crazy opinions. I don't give a sh*t if a person disagrees with me about literally anything, no matter how bad their take is; I do very much resent a person implying or outright stating that I'm ignorant, stupid, or myopic because of that disagreement, and then when it turns out they were wrong practically across the board, they just ghost. 

If you're going to be a huge dick when you debate, and treat outlandish opinions as near-certainties, you can damn well own up to it after the fact. That's not a big ask.

For reference, here's a PM I got from a guy after we debated map measurements both in this thread and privately. This was right after I blew him off because he was spending more time insulting me than arguing a point: "Imagine talking that much sh*t and then pussing out and running away when you can't deny being wrong, it's truly astonishing."  Funny in hindsight because I never got another message from him or a post in this thread either, after it turned out he was wrong. (He was one of the upscaling contingent; not ivarblaauw). This isnt speculation, it's bad behavior on a personal level.

Edited by Nutduster

Arthur Bell

I was about to make a Truman show reference while reading midway through your post, but of course you beat me to it.

Turns out that Arthur's diagnosis is because of a simulation. He is merely waiting at the edge of the set in Vinewood for John.

DuPz0r

ivarblaauw
2 hours ago, Nutduster said:

No, of course not. It's a speculation thread, everyone is wrong sometimes, and it's not a big deal. The only thing that sticks in my craw are that a select handful of people were repeatedly very wrong and also highly condescending about their crazy opinions. I don't give a sh*t if a person disagrees with me about literally anything, no matter how bad their take is; I do very much resent a person implying or outright stating that I'm ignorant, stupid, or myopic because of that disagreement, and then when it turns out they were wrong practically across the board, they just ghost. 

If you're going to be a huge dick when you debate, and treat outlandish opinions as near-certainties, you can damn well own up to it after the fact. That's not a big ask.

For reference, here's a PM I got from a guy after we debated map measurements both in this thread and privately. This was right after I blew him off because he was spending more time insulting me than arguing a point: "Imagine talking that much sh*t and then pussing out and running away when you can't deny being wrong, it's truly astonishing."  Funny in hindsight because I never got another message from him or a post in this thread either, after it turned out he was wrong. (He was one of the upscaling contingent; not ivarblaauw). This isnt speculation, it's bad behavior on a personal level.

Glad you cleared up it wasn't me. I agree that, no matter how much you disagree with each other, you still have to treat each other with respect. When a person is wrong, and I have been wrong, just like almost any other in this thread, a person should just man up and say so. Some speculators however took it to the next level, as that pm of that guy'/gal clearly shows. 

I am sorry you had to go through sh*t like that, because some people just can't try to have a nice and neat discussion. In the end you were 100% right. I sent you a PM the second I knew this, since I wanted to prevent the stuff which is happening right now, apparently to no avail.

10 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I envy the spare time you have, you are truly the mvp. I also know that there are a lot of people profiting of your work (youtubers, streamers etc.), which is a sad truth. I know it probably doesn't mean much, but I am very happy you research stuff like this and help us understand the map better. On behalve of me and a bunch of friends: Thank you once more @DuPz0r.

I find it awesome how much stuff there actually is, with most stuff never to be seen by us players. I also find it sad, since there have been people working on stuff which most people will never ever see.