3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RedDagger

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

DuPz0r

I tried getting into the Vanhorn Fence Upstairs with no luck. I found a different way to sort of get partially in the downstairs part, and found that it had two doors overlapping... An open door which you can hear when you walk up to it and a locked door over it. Not sure if that is what's stopping me from breaching or if it's just a matter of space, since it's hard to squeeze the animal down the ally.

Edited by DuPz0r

Mastah
On 1/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, ivarblaauw said:

I didn't say they worked on it at all? Yeah they originally wanted to do it bigger but for some reason (last gen console limitations most likely) they didn't. If you look into the mapping thread you can even find interviews stating this.

I have never said it was in the code, but we can see some of those locations on cards and billboards. These show unused towns and other locations. 

Perhaps you don't call that cut content, but I do. I only piled up all the evidence we found (not just me but about a dozen others) and put it together in a neat document. 

Jesus christ. Read ffs. 

Yeah, you "only" said you found "beta stuff from those locations" (San Fierro and Las Venturas). Do you understand at all what are you implying there and why so many people were interested in what you said? If not I can help you - you are saying Rockstar were working on putting SF or LV on GTA V map and there are assets in files from these locations (beta stuff = cut cars, unused text strings or audio from cut missions, screenshots from early version of the game etc.). And we all know that's not true and the only things we have in GTA IV, TLaD, TBoGT, GTA V and Online about San Fierro or Las Venturas are REFERENCES, used to create an illusion of a full GTA Universe.

Oh look, there's a billboard saying "Visit Vice City" in the very first scene of the first GTA IV trailer. That's a "cut content" and "beta stuff" according to you, right? Vice City in GTA IV, yeah?

Spoiler

screencap_01.jpg

On 1/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, ivarblaauw said:

About the scale increase, yes I was wrong, although we didn't know the map was changed so drastically in height and R* used a lot of specific camera angles. 

And I never said 9000% larger ;) I said 2x and that's it. And why did I say that? Because it looked that way. Not just me but loads of others thought it as well. 

In the end I was right about the map being (non scaled) about 3/4x the size of rdr1, but little did we know only 1/3rd is accessible. 

Also I always made claims with reservation, not just out if nowhere. 

Btw, speculation is a healthy thing. Especially when said speculation is substantiated with evidence. That you are one of the few who doesn't like it, tells us more about you than us. 

In the end we got a map of the same scale, although changed greatly in comparison with rdr1 and much better draw distance (the reason some of us, including me, got confused). The current map is surrounded by valleys, canyons, mountains, plains and deserts. These make the map much much larger than GTA V, which we did claim. Yeah it sparks the talk about possible map expansions. You don't like that? F*ck off then. The rest of us loves it and enjoys it. Don't bother us with your whiney sh*t, we enjoy exploring the regions outside the map boundaries, which to me also count towards the map size ;). 

You still were sticking to scale increase claim literally 1 day before RDR2 launch, despite other people making comparisons and getting the only logical conclusion: it's the same, duh. That's how "reserved" you were. I remember how you believed in everything you read, from map being larger than GTA V (apparently by 50-100%) to "everywhere you see you can go" to whole RDR map being included in the prequel. Well, reserved person would take take claims with a pinch of salt, knowing there have to boundaries in the game limiting the map like unclimbable hills/mountains or water and how previous R* claims like GTA V map being bigger than combined San Andreas, IV and RDR maps ended (in being half-truth and not mentioning enormous underwater area around Los Santos and Blaine County was included in these calculations 😂). And surprise, surprise, Rockstar once again fooled journalists and some people, like "reserved" you.

PS. Have a good day too, but I wish you would stop misleading others with made up claims like "beta stuff from San Fierro and Las Venturas in GTA V", which is blatantly false, only because you don't understand what "beta stuff" means. That's all.

Cutter De Blanc
On 1/27/2019 at 1:31 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

About certain it's Tall Trees, I don't think those trees in that density are anywhere else on the map

It might also be somwhere in Big Valley, although I can't really find any patches of trees as dense as the one in the shot I can't find any trees that big around in Tall Trees. The main redwood in the shot is huge and dwarfs Arthur by a significant amount. I can't find any trees quite that large in Tall Trees, but I didn't check out every tree

ivarblaauw

@Mastah the scale increase I was wrong. I even verified this to @Nutduster. However, I did those overlays and not everything is in exactly the same place. 

No I do not mean it has changed places, but it is moved a bit. Just as the canyon north of Armadillo ;) which in turn made me miscalculate about the size of the map. 

Don't forget I wasn't the only one who thought the map was larger in scale. 

Also I ain't reserved. I literally asked one of those gamejourno's personally. I can't help that he lied to me?! He literally told me that the map was much larger than GTA V. THIS is what made me believe the map had to be increased in scale, since it wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Yeah did you read that in my replies to this thread?! Because those are ALL there. I was actually one of the people who said that that the map was most likely surrounded by mountains, cliffs and water. Also we were right about the rdr1 map being in rdr2, although only the US part. By the way, that was during the time leaks dropped and liars arrived as well. I have always said that at least New Austin was in, and people laughed in my face back then. But hey? Know what, it is in. 

The last thing I will say about GTA V (this is the rdr thread after all): there is so much unused stuff, easter eggs, artwork, references to counties (Paleto County is literally named in gta V and the weed farm of Paleto Bay is in fact in Paleto County), which show an expanded shoreline. I'll try to find the document I posted in the gtaV map additions thread. It should still be there. I've included all artwork, references, easter eggs, unused things, we as a community discovered together. Mostly without even going in the code. 

Call it Beta stuff, alpha or just concept ideas, but originally GTA V was meant to have more counties, one even deep into production, so it had to be bigger than it currently was. Even in the last months they completely changed the mountains and areas around it (for the worse, but whatever).

Edited by ivarblaauw

13 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

It might also be somwhere in Big Valley, although I can't really find any patches of trees as dense as the one in the shot I can't find any trees that big around in Tall Trees. The main redwood in the shot is huge and dwarfs Arthur by a significant amount. I can't find any trees quite that large in Tall Trees, but I didn't check out every tree

It is Tall Trees, those kind of bushes and plants and trees, especially the trees can only be found in Tall Trees.

RedDeadRedemption2-SS2.jpg

Ue6XZsa.jpg

Speaking of this very big tree, could be cool to search for it and see if it's still in there.

Edited by anthony

MarlboroMan1995
3 hours ago, anthony said:

Speaking of this very big tree, could be cool to search for it and see if it's still in there.

It is actually two separate trees. Zoom in and you can tell by the way the sun hits it in places. 

Edit: Taking a second glance, it seems it may be one base and two trunks growing up.

whether it’s one or two it’s still a damn big tree lol

Edited by MarlboroMan1995

DuPz0r

Every video i've seen (only like two lol), They've done the Morgan+Martson Glitch with a wanted status. Here's the way i've been doing it, escaping the graveyard without getting seen makes it a whole lot easier:

Then i just added a couple of snippets of my explorations.

Edited by DuPz0r

DuPz0r

Yeah i've seen that, pretty cool. I dont like the way that edepot drags his videos out with 50 uneeded steps though 😂

On 1/30/2019 at 8:36 PM, alz said:

Found a minor interior exploration after Saint Denis heist.

Edited by DuPz0r

Arthur Bell
1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

Yeah i've seen that, pretty cool. I dont like the way that edepot drags his videos out with 50 uneeded steps though 😂

If you had smashed the like button and didn't forget to subscribe, he might have had a secret fans video with only 49 steps

DuPz0r

I remember saving a young woman from a rapist type o' fella outside of Annesburg. You take her back to her mother at the end and you see the door open and close but can't see inside. Decided to try and glitch into that.

iJxYk0f.jpg

Mx7OUsV.jpg

Managed to get in today, will post a short video soon hopefully.

a z

Other interiors to try...?

• The doctor's office in Strawberry (was visible in the Epilogue for one mission)
  • The doctor's office in Saint Denis (around the corner from the medicine shop)
  • Pronghorn's Ranch house
  • The house north of Valentine where Arthur first meets Mary
  • The barn where the weird Dino skeleton is east of Valentine
  • Braithwaite Manor
  • Bronte's Manor in Saint Denis
  • The mayor's manor in Saint Denis (where the nighttime party was at)

btw, check out the weird double door spawn-closet room in the house across from the stables north of Van Horn.  The same building is used next to the stables south of Emerald Ranch, but the door is locked.

Also, Annesburg is so under used as a town!  I wonder why they didn't at least have more accessible spaces like the German Saloon, those shakes, and make better re-use of the massive coal building or mines.

Edited by alz

DuPz0r

Bobby West

Not sure if you’ve seen this but a new wall breach method has been found that lets you get pretty much anywhere.

https://youtu.be/HRvaag_g-0s

DuPz0r
9 hours ago, Bobby West said:

Not sure if you’ve seen this but a new wall breach method has been found that lets you get pretty much anywhere.

Yeah i know of it, but it doesnt seem to work on every interior. infact it only worked on a handful of places i've tried out. Maybe i'm not getting the technique down properly or something. Thanks for posting anyway, i'll try again.

Edited by DuPz0r

Nutduster
On 1/31/2019 at 2:11 PM, Mastah said:

Yeah, you "only" said you found "beta stuff from those locations" (San Fierro and Las Venturas). Do you understand at all what are you impl

Reveal hidden contents

screencap_01.jpg

You still were sticking to scale increase claim literally 1 day before RDR2 launch, despite other people making comparisons and getting the only logical conclusion: it's the same, duh. That's how "reserved" you were. I remember how you believed in everything you read, from map being larger than GTA V (apparently by 50-100%) to "everywhere you see you can go" to whole RDR map being included in the prequel. Well, reserved person would take take claims with a pinch of salt, knowing there have to boundaries in the game limiting the map like unclimbable hills/mountains or water and how previous R* claims like GTA V map being bigger than combined San Andreas, IV and RDR maps ended (in being half-truth and not mentioning enormous underwater area around Los Santos and Blaine County was included in these calculations 😂).

This is still a sore spot for me - not enough mea culpas in this thread. I did get a nice message from ivarblaauw about the scale, but other people practically berated me in here and in PMs because I was trying to keep expectations in the realm of reality. I got a series of nasty personal attacks over the scale issue and doing a measurement indicating St. Denis in particular was not as huge s it looked. That guy never said a word later, of course.

And BretMaverick and I had epic arguments multiple times, about the size, the number of unseen map areas, and more. I especially remember interpreting a preview to suggest that water was being used as a natural boundary and that Arthur would drown if he swam too long. Of course I ended up being right about that, and a lot more. Has he ever even mentioned being wrong as well as incredibly condescending about it? Nope - in fact he's still proposing crazy theories about all these map expansions that are coming.  Sigh.

Jabalous

The map is big enough as it's. I'd not say that R* shouldn't go bigger in the future, but it's absolutely not necessary. Maybe add more land on the size of Nuevo Paraiso to complete the whole thing and that'd be well enough for a Red Dead game. Galloping from Tumbleweed to Saints Denis, as an example, really feels like traveling for miles and miles, cutting through deserts, valleys, hills, plains, mountains, rivers and so on. The good layout also helps like not being able to see the lowland desert from the top of mountains in the north, making everything feels isolated and expansive. 

Cutter De Blanc
8 hours ago, Bobby West said:

Been trying this at the Van Horn fence, I keep getting pushed back out at the "turn your camera to the left or right" step. Also when I breach into the back door it looks like the fence has no interior, you can see through the walls

Breached into the Van Horn post office right away though, so I think I'm doing it right. 

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

DuPz0r
10 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Been trying this at the Van Horn fence, I keep getting pushed back out at the "turn your camera to the left or right" step. Also when I breach into the back door it looks like the fence has no interior, you can see through the walls

I think I've worked out the breach properly now after going back and trying it more. I got into the backroom, but the stairs are blocked half way up... You can see more of it though...

Edited by DuPz0r

Cutter De Blanc
12 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I think I've worked out the breach properly now after going back and trying it more. I got into the backroom, but the stairs are blocked half way up... You can see more of it though...

Can't breach the second blockade because you can't bring out your weapon in there

I got stuck in the post office because of this, weird that they coded a place you can't access to block your weapons

EDIT: Got in going through the wall instead of the door. What are they hiding up there!!!?

Cutter De Blanc

The Tracker Hotel has an interior, it's literally just an empty room

DuPz0r

Yep, had a look too. I've looked at most of the places on my list, i'll probably compile them into one outakes video since they're not that interesting inside.

Cutter De Blanc

Same with the house for sale in Strawberry,  big empty interior

Gonna try Gaptooth Breach when I get home from work, don't have time to make it down there right now

I wonder if the boarded up buildings in Armadillo that were accessible in the first game still have interiors now

DuPz0r

Got inside the top (a bit disappointing)!

Cutter De Blanc

That's not disappointing at all, that's f*cking weird

a z
7 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I wonder if the boarded up buildings in Armadillo that were accessible in the first game still have interiors now

I'm still baffled why those interiors weren't included.  They were viable on a last generation console and should easily fit within memory structure.  Sure the updated-upscaled versions would take up more memory, but not so much that they couldn't be included.  If we were talking about Saint Denis in the previous game not having as many interiors, I'd believe that... Saint Denis has a lot of texture variety going on and might not have enough memory or horse power to upscale everything.  Armadillo though... it's a very small town in terms of game towns.  A few interiors shouldn't cost the game system anything.  My only guess is it's another example of Rockstar rushing New Austin out the door.   Although... they could've easily outsourced or thrown the upscaled new versions to side studio.  There's no back and forth to the layout... simply make it look good.

Cutter De Blanc

I'm on my way to find out

EDIT: So far I've made it to Armadillo. The gunsmith does not have an interior. There's nothing in the Armadillo bank vault except flat white texture walls. The doctor's office however is weird. There are shevles and a counter but you can walk through them and there are no textures, just flat grey. Also the blowing sand clips through the walls

0_0.jpg

The Theater/Schoolhouse also  has an incomplete interior, you can see right through the back wall to the other room, took a picture from the back room, you can't sleep in the bed. 

0_0.jpg

Off to Gaptooth Breach

EDIT: Been trying to get in for a half an hour, the cave-in just seems to be too uneven to breach through, I cant really get the lantern to clip through effectively. Can't seem to get through the wall of the cave either

DuPz0r
9 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

That's not disappointing at all, that's f*cking weird

The strange thing is, we know there is probably interactive cabinets up there in the right plane/reality (we can see them from downstairs) 😂 but there seems to be multiple layers of existence in there.

Edited by DuPz0r

DuPz0r

Got into the Doctor's Practice by different means than I expected to lol...

a z

Whoa!  The doors must have triggered the interior to stream in.  I thought I had a similar thing happen at the Blackwater bank.  I couldn't get in, couldn't see in, then I was able to.  It may have been my bad memory of what's available and what isn't.

Maddened_Ghost

I wonder if it's the same thing for those invisible assets in the room, in GTAV if you managed to trigger a ragdoll in an invisible interior, it loads up, worth a try since both games are on RAGE.

I'm so busy with the second playthrough otherwise I'd continue my interior exploring habit from GTAV in this game as well lmao