• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

Río del Lobo?  

9 minutes ago, Life Hack said:

That was a legit calculation. That’s how long it would take any of us to drive that distance at a constant speed of 30mph. I tried driving at that speed in GTAV, but I can’t bring myself to do it. It takes too damn long. 

I guess my point was we don't know what speed the horses actually galloped in the first game, but it isn't likely that they moved at a real life pace, because usually the speed of charchters and vehicles in games is exaggerated, even if it feels accurate to the player.

Again, using the distances from stats in RDR it's over 7 miles from Blackwater to Escalera. So that should take roughly 15 minutes at 30mph, but people report doing it in as little as 8. So either the in game measurements for distance are meaningless or the horse is following the video game trend and moving at a faster speed than you percieve whilst playing on a two dimensional screen.

And I suspect that the tendancy among people to underestimate the actual size of the original RDR is down to the belief that if it only takes 8 minutes at 30mph the map must be only 3 or 4 miles across.

Edited by TuffGnarl
saintsrow
2 minutes ago, StJimmy said:

"They remastered all of GTAV to a new generation, in what, about 2 years?"

Uh... you do know that's not how it works right? 

No, I don't know.  Please enlighten us.  

5 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

No, I don't know.  Please enlighten us.  

Literally porting a game to a new console with the exact same map except updated textures for the sole purpose of a remaster, is not the same as completely having to remake a map (who's source was sh*tty code thats impossible to port hence why no RDR PC).

You're doing an apples to oranges comparison here. "8 years to do this oh my god so lazy". Yes on top of literally making a new map double the size of the old one almost as opposed to again porting a game to new hardware. GTA V was a remaster, is not a remaster it is a remake.   

Take your name sake for example. Think of RDR 1 to 2 as SR1's map to 2, and GTA V to its remaster as SRIII's map to SRIV 

Edited by StJimmy
  • Like 7
Pink Pineapple
13 minutes ago, wxflurry said:

I still don't get how anyone would know what the scale is?

You can use the in-game distance stats to determine the map size. GTA V's paper map also included a legend showing distance.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jimmarn said:

That's going to take a while, it took a little while to ride from Blackwater down to Tumbleweed, so I'd guess a bit more than twice that.

it took about 7-8 minutes.

I highly doubt it's going to take 25-30 minutes as some people are saying.

I'd say 15 tops. maybe if the roads are all hairpins that double back on themselves, at a push it's possible, but I don't see that happening.

Edited by Surebrec
1 minute ago, Pink Pineapple said:

You can use the in-game distance stats to determine the map size. GTA V's paper map also included a legend showing distance.

Thanks for the clarification. It's been ages since I played RDR and I just took a look at the paper map and there was no scale indicated so I wasn't sure.

Stannard96
2 hours ago, Brett Baumler said:

So the only new additions to NA appear to be a couple of little islands in the San Luis and a strip of land south of the Coronado Sea. Hmmm very odd that they'd add such minor new things, there must be a reason for it

Have they created islands which didn't exist in RDR1? That would bother me 😫

1 minute ago, Darrel said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about mexico ha. 

The map is dense, as f*ck. And massive 

I don't particularly care either. I mean it would have been cool to have it, but I'm not very broken up about it or anything. To be honest I'll be probably be spending the majority of my time in the new lands anyway. After so much desert exposure I can't wait to take in lush forests and mountains.

• Like 3
Life Hack
19 minutes ago, TuffGnarl said:

I guess my point was we don't know what speed the horses actually galloped in the first game, but it isn't likely that they moved at a real life pace, because usually the speed of charchters and vehicles in games is exaggerated, even if it feels accurate to the player.

Again, using the distances from stats in RDR it's over 7 miles from Blackwater to Escalera. So that should take roughly 15 minutes at 30mph, but people report doing it in as little as 8. So either the in game measurements for distance are meaningless or the horse is following the video game trend and moving at a faster speed than you percieve whilst playing on a two dimensional screen.

And I suspect that the tendancy among people to underestimate the actual size of the original RDR is down to the belief that if it only takes 8 minutes at 30mph the map must be only 3 or 4 miles across.

There is only one explanation, every horse in that game had Secretariat’s stride angle.

Edited by Life Hack
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Surebrec said:

it took about 7-8 minutes.

I highly doubt it's going to take 25-30 minutes as some people are saying.

I'd say 15 tops. maybe if the roads are all hairpins that double back on themselves, at a push it's possible, but I don't see that happening.

Sounds about right, the road from West Elizabeth to Saint Denis looks pretty straight and clear as well.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes from far north east end of the map down to the south west end of the map.

11 minutes ago, Darrel said:

You will when you see it but can’t touch brother 😫

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Stannard96 said:

Have they created islands which didn't exist in RDR1? That would bother me 😫

Just think of it as an inaccurate map, the creator focused on one area and just filled in the borders with assumptions from what he saw from where he traveled.

He just missed it and assumed it was the coastline he saw 😄

16 minutes ago, Darrel said:

Yea I'm not bothered either. If Rockstar didn't have a good reason to take the story to Mexico then I don't want to go. I'd rather new places over old places as well, and the RDR2 map seems to have a really great balance between old and new.

• Like 3
Chinese Takeout

I've been tied up with kids stuff, and I have a lot of work ahead of me to move landmarks given the latest un-postable leaks, but in the meantime, I've updated my map with all the new roads, streams, lakes and railroads. Just posting as-is until I can spend some time with it. It's about 26 megs, so...give it time to load.

Ta4MsYJ.jpg

• Like 23
Dougie Jones
40 minutes ago, StJimmy said:

"They remastered all of GTAV to a new generation, in what, about 2 years?"

Uh... you do know that's not how it works right? 

You're confusing remaster with remake. The RDR part of RDR2's map is remade. GTA V was remastered and visually enhanced for PS4, X1 and PC. Quite the difference.

• Like 3
¡MAYDAY!
34 minutes ago, Darrel said:

I don't mind one bit Mexico is not in. Game is going to be amazing and all the people disappointed or complaining before they even play it are crazy.

• Like 2
Fatsanchez

Well there goes my plans of setting camp in Mexico on RDO just like Ricketts. Maybe in a future dlc... We bitched so much about a map expansion for GTAV/O that they might had “future-proof” the code in this game to that end. Who knows.

Edited by Fatsanchez

I am pesimist

- Mexico is not going to be included in a DLC

- If it is... Red Dead Online only. That’s the path R* took and once it’s started, it cannot get it back

Edited by MARKUS.
6 hours ago, sk065 said:

I love to say i told you so. Mexico never was confirmed. People basically scoffed at my posts. Who is laughing now! 

Same, I wrote large portions of the old map will be in, but not all. And was pretty much spat at by a few posters. Lol

Alright folks, I figured out the actual scale. I did several tests of distance walked in 5 minutes in very flat areas(Sandy Shores Airfield and Great Plains). I am aware that walkspeed might not be the exact same, but it should still be somewhat consistent in this short a span of time and this short a distance.

Image result for rdr2 size comparison

This one is objectively wrong. RDR1(and by extension RDR2) is seriously undersized in this picture. Like, 60% actual size. When I measured how far I walked, RDR was less than 2/3 of what it was in GTAV. Below is scaled up to match.

MWSZ85r.png

This one is accurate to actual distance I walked. Considering the map that just leaked looks bigger than the map leaked two years ago, this map is well over 1.5x GTAV.

• Like 12
stevo irwin19
1 hour ago, Darrel said:

im with you mexico was ok but no real loss imo i never really went there after the main story apart from the stranger missions

• Like 3
Kirk Lazarus
10 minutes ago, Sausache said:

Alright folks, I figured out the actual scale. I did several tests of distance walked in 5 minutes in very flat areas(Sandy Shores Airfield and Great Plains). I am aware that walkspeed might not be the exact same, but it should still be somewhat consistent in this short a span of time and this short a distance.

This one is objectively wrong. RDR1(and by extension RDR2) is seriously undersized in this picture. Like, 60% actual size. When I measured how far I walked, RDR was less than 2/3 of what it was in GTAV. Below is scaled up to match.

This one is accurate to actual distance I walked. Considering the map that just leaked looks bigger than the map leaked two years ago, this map is well over 1.5x GTAV.

Haha... you beat me to by 4 minutes...

Original info 

Map update: 

AVSU1Po.png

The scale match is based on the production size of the Rage engine streaming squares found in all their recent games

Spoiler

87zBLNZ.jpg

Edited by alz
  • Like 3
oCrapaCreeper

Has anyone maybe thought of the idea that that mexico isn't in the game because the story doesn't take place there so there's literally no point in re-making it?

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, paddymcg said:

Gaming journalists have been twisting information and misinterpreting developer comments since the stone age, that will never change. 

Exactly what I told people when they were all, but but, journos said so.

Dude, they write what readers want to hear.

• Like 1
LegendarySaiyan

I am not good with maps and stuff like that and I don't really care for how big the map is. I just love the fact that it is much more detailed and bigger than RDR.

I got a question though, could it be that the original RDR map is not the same size as it used to be in RDR, what if it is larger? What if Blackwater is now twice its size from RDR, and the whole map is too, twice its size from RDR? (I said twice/2x its size as an example, maybe 1.5x bigger than before. Again example). I am just wondering if that could be the case? Not saying it is.

That would make the whole map much more bigger than GTA V would it not?

• Like 2
eastriver
3 minutes ago, LegendarySaiyan said:

I am not good with maps and stuff like that and I don't really care for how big the map is. I just love the fact that it is much more detailed and bigger than RDR.

I got a question though, could it be that the original RDR map is not the same size as it used to be in RDR, what if it is larger? What if Blackwater is now twice its size from RDR, and the whole map is too, twice its size from RDR? (I said twice/2x its size as an example, maybe 1.5x bigger than before. Again example). I am just wondering if that could be the case? Not saying it is.

That would make the whole map much more bigger than GTA V would it not?

It could very well be the case that New Austin is larger, but I wouldn't expect is to be too much larger if that were the case.

New Austin is definitely going to get a terrain overhaul if you ask me, it's not just going to be New Austin from RDR + prettier graphics. With the terrain overhaul, New Austin's size might also increase.

• Like 1

So this sorta confirms that there is something behind the mountains in Ambarino, no?

That Roboter person.

And that indian reserve for one.

Man this map is huuuge.

Edited by GTADKNUT
  • Like 3
Chinese Takeout

All this talk about map size and scale is BO-ring. Some Rockstar employee put it perfectly in the EW article...

Against the abundance of high-quality games, Red Dead Redemption 2 still feels unique. As one Rockstar employee put it, to build a more vast open world, you go inward instead of out — meaning you develop a more intricate network of story, character, and interactivity instead of focusing on how big a map you can make. Although, this game still flaunts a massive map. Nelson doesn’t even know how long it would take for Arthur to walk it on foot.

He just laughs at the thought. “Probably some crazy person has. I think certainly on horseback people have done it.”

Edited by Chinese Takeout
  • Like 10