• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

Map Update v0.74 - Added Treefitty's most up to date town maps *Rhodes *Valentine *St Denis - Added the rest of New Austin *Roads *Paths *Rails *Regions

The Notorious MOB

Apologies if this is off topic or has already been discussed but where do people think the various districts are based on?

New Bordeaux is obviously New Orleans and I'm guessing Scarlett Meadows will be based on Baton Rouge due to its name and proximity but I'm unsure about the others.

Edited by Money Over Bullshit
  • Like 1

I've had a bit of free time to study the terrain of the "leak" and believe that it is so close to the real thing that i'm pretty much convinced it's real at this stage. Even if it was an early version of the final map, everything just sits right with the trailers and images we've had so far...

This is my slightly more detailed look at the rock structures, and land formations.

S9E30LN.jpg

I've had a bit of free time to study the terrain of the "leak" and believe that it is so close to the real thing that i'm pretty much convinced it's real at this stage. Even if it was an early version of the final map, everything just sits right with the trailers and images we've had so far...

This is my slightly more detailed look at the rock structures, and land formations.

S9E30LN.jpg

I must say, I'm totally agree with you and support the idea of that leaked map is real.

Edit: Valentine Town?

4GLZzgT.jpg

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

Also, i realised the leaked map has obvious square quadrant grid-lines, which were stretched out of perspective. So the map wasn't entirely accurate. I've straightened the image to make the grid square again, making the map 99% accurate, even if it's real or not.

clFeSZG.jpg

I didnt really belive the leaked map was real but I have to admit after watching the second trailer and all the matching parts you guys point out, I belive its the real thing. that said, how do you guys think they will prevent us from going to the south shore of flat iron lake and the landmass thats there. even if we cant swim, we saw a canoe in the first trailer so there should be no problem to go there...I know rockstar always finds a way to seperate the playable area from the other but I was curious what you guys think on how they will do it this time?

btw great work guys keep it up!

maybe...alligators? will just eat you if you swim too far out. maybe they'll even attack you when not close to a border of the sandbox. dangerous waters...

• Like 3

maybe...alligators? will just eat you if you swim too far out. maybe they'll even attack you when not close to a border of the sandbox. dangerous waters...

or piranhas?)

Also, what will happen if we will be able to play as animals, birds and fishes?)

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

I didnt really belive the leaked map was real but I have to admit after watching the second trailer and all the matching parts you guys point out, I belive its the real thing. that said, how do you guys think they will prevent us from going to the south shore of flat iron lake and the landmass thats there. even if we cant swim, we saw a canoe in the first trailer so there should be no problem to go there...

Assuming the boats are usable at will and not just locked to specific missions (remember, RDR had a raft but you could only use it for the one mission and it was on rails), there are still a lot of ways they could do this. There could be a swift current that sweeps you back to the middle of the lake. The southern shore could be a bunch of steeper cliffs that you can't scramble up or stand on. etc.

• Like 2

I didnt really belive the leaked map was real but I have to admit after watching the second trailer and all the matching parts you guys point out, I belive its the real thing. that said, how do you guys think they will prevent us from going to the south shore of flat iron lake and the landmass thats there. even if we cant swim, we saw a canoe in the first trailer so there should be no problem to go there...

Assuming the boats are usable at will and not just locked to specific missions (remember, RDR had a raft but you could only use it for the one mission and it was on rails), there are still a lot of ways they could do this. There could be a swift current that sweeps you back to the middle of the lake. The southern shore could be a bunch of steeper cliffs that you can't scramble up or stand on. etc.

good points I really hope the boats are usable at will since it looks there is a lot more water than in the first one. I like the idea of steeper cliffs. still wondering how they prevent you from going west at thieves landing... :)

I still see no reason to give the "leaked map" any creedence...everything I see posted here since it leaked is purely confirmation bias. I remain committed to sketching out the map from the official sources we have been given (2 trailers and some screens).

That said, I have long considered what tack Rockstar will take with RDR2: will the entire map be open a'la GTA5? Or will it open gradually, a'la RDR1 and pretty much every other GTA? I like both of your suggestions.

Another possibility I was thinking about was this: imagine you were a n00b living in ~1860 with very limited resources. And you said to yourself, "Hey! Let's see what would happen if I start walking west." How far do you think you would make it before you starved to death, couldn't find water, or were killed by the elements, Native Americans, wild animals, or some other calamity? Imagine if, at the start of your story, the ENTIRE map is open, but the "Wild West" as Rockstar has created it is simply just UN-SURVIVABLE. Like...not a snowball's chance in hell you'll make it. Not without moving through the story, gaining experience and making connections...maybe joining up with Dutch is the trigger that starts making more of the map "survivable." Safety in numbers.

I don't know. Just thought that would be an organic way to close off the map. Personally, I have always appreciated Rockstar's decision to open up the map gradually...it leaves a sense of discovery to the game that persists throughout the adventure.

(suggestions I have made in the past were...

1) a raging forest fire that is impassable...eventually it subsides, allowing you to progress, or

2) as you venture further out into the wilderness, eventually clouds gather (kinda the way Thieves Landing worked), a storm would start brewing...and the further west you went the worse the storm got (tornadoes, lightning, blizzards, avalanches) and you either stick around and die, or turn around and live...as the story progesses, this "storm mechanic" moves further west, and eventually disappears altogether)

• Like 1

The believers need to understand that there are still people who think it is (or could be) fake. But at the same time the doubters have to acknowledge some reasonable findings in this thread.

• Like 3

I still see no reason to give the "leaked map" any creedence...everything I see posted here since it leaked is purely confirmation bias. I remain committed to sketching out the map from the official sources we have been given (2 trailers and some screens).

There are no coincidences. Only the illusion of coincidence.

I respect you holding out your belief, however I am intrigued to see at what point in the coming months you finally give in

• Like 1

I don't understand the weather system in this world.

North Big Valley should share similar weather conditions to dark grey The Grizzlies given the elevation.

I'm not sure why Blackwater and The Great Plains wouldn't experience strong lake effect snow more than just the dusting we saw the North Great Plains.

And then the Scarlett Meadows and Bayou are kind of like sandwiched on the opposite side of the cold/hot zone.

We have a coach. Coaches usually drive only on roads, right? So if we look at the map closer, we will see a road there going from the "Old Fort Wallace". One thing I doubt is that area named "cumberland forest"...

I think the Stagecoach Co. would logically be founded within one of the towns. For practicality purposes, it will likely be available in each of the towns but it's base of operations would be in one of them.

In RDR, the railroad logically focused on the center cluster of the map. It never went out on the outskirts.

My point is that seems pretty far off your beaten path. It's possible but I'm not sure that's the likely spot.

S E A S O N S

I still see no reason to give the "leaked map" any creedence...everything I see posted here since it leaked is purely confirmation bias.

What about the name "Cornwall" found on the leaked map and in trailer 2? Plus, it lines up very well with the river, mountains, and flat areas.

SD91zv7.jpg

I still don't see the reasons to doubt about the map...

1. Leaked map was published in April, 2016 while the official announcement was in October, 2016. 6 monthes.

2. Cornwall is not just a name of the city, camp, river or smth. It's an Oil Station or at least connected with trains. It was published in April 2016. And only after 17 monthes we saw in the trailer #2 a train with the logo "Cornwall". It's impossible! Then again, if we look at that location closer we will see a station based near Oil Towers. Amazing, isn't it?

3. Pink Pineapple's pics, some of mine, Dupzor's and jaredk_'s pics proove that peace of the map with the river is 1:1 similar to the leaked map.

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

By the way, I thought I'd share what I found back in May after the delay, before I joined this forum...

The Blue arrow indicates the flow of water from what I believe is "Little Creek", the Red line is the South mountain in "Big Valley", the Yellow line is the curve of the rail line, and the White rectangle is the house/location "Shepherd's Rise".

qfo53mR.jpg

Cp75dms.jpg
Edited by zachsterosu
  • Like 2

I still don't see the reasons to doubt about the map...

1. Leaked map was published in April, 2016 while the official announcement was in October, 2016. 6 monthes.

2. Cornwall is not just a name of the city, camp, river or smth. It's an Oil Station or at least connected with trains. It was published in April 2016. And only after 17 monthes we saw in the trailer #2 a train with the logo "Cornwall". It's impossible! Then again, if we look at that location closer we will see a station based near Oil Towers. Amazing, isn't it?

3. Pink Pineapple's pics, some of mine, Dupzor's and jaredk_'s pics proove that peace of the map with the river is 1:1 similar to the leaked map.

I thought the same thing when I saw that the train car said Cornwall, but I don't think a Kerosene and Tar company has anything to do with armored train cars that have ornate/official looking badges on it. I think that Cornwall was maybe just a place holder name that they could've switched around, and used for something else, like some military group, or say "Fort Cornwall", instead of "Fort Wallace". But the fact that that a specific name is used in both the map and the trailer for a location and possibly a group, is pretty convincing. There is a possibility though that Cornwall is in fact a builder of railroad equipment, or again a military contractor, that also runs a business selling kerosene and tar...

I compared one peace of the hill in details. Sorry for using paint :D
But guess you could see what I mean. Same hill. Same painting between snowy and the naughty places on the hill.
4858559.gif?r=6364258531748393544858563.gif?r=636425855588110188P.S. Zoom in 200% please.

Original post and one more inspiration for me by GMaster with whom I totally agree:

Another one of that same area.

rdr2_map_analysis2.png

Edit: Unfortunately, gif links are broken and I've deleted the gifs from my laptop. I will just post a hill which was analyzed (without paint):
bWePX2j.jpgAH9pKlH.jpg

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

mtIEYbQ.jpgSo similar but...

Looks smaller and between two mountains... little creek?

@Kerochan, Highly doubt about that river, to be honest.

@Silense, I suppose it's a little creek too.

mtIEYbQ.jpgSo similar but...

Looks smaller and between two mountains... little creek?

@Kerochan, Highly doubt about that river, to be honest.

@Silense, I suppose it's a little creek too.

Yeah it looks like a "Big Valley" with pretty evenly sized mountains on either side, along with the two roads and the cabin in the middle, to the left of the stream. I think "Little Creek" is our best bet. Looking closer, I think I might even be able to see the "Shepherd's Rise" house in the distance, to the right of the creek... Edited by zachsterosu

That shot from the first trailer really can't be Little Creek imo. That river is really flat and curvy. Little Creek on the other hand is a really steep and relatively straight-flowing torrent, rising at a high level almost at the very end of the map. So I think that older post with the highlighted road on it doesn't make much sense either. In the scene from the first trailer it really seems like there's much more reachable land down that river. Now compare this to the "dead end" of Little Creek on the map. It would make more sense if that road would be on the other side of the Creek (what he described as "other road") and we're actually looking south east towards Downes Ranch and not north west towards Hanging Dog Ranch and the end of the map.

That doesn't mean that the trailer scene is located around Mossy Flats either (although that name would fit quite well for the location imo) but definitely more likely than the area around Little Creek imho. But who knows what Rockstar might have changed over time anyway? Hard to say but it's fun to speculate, that's for sure!

• Like 2

This map is how much times bigger than RDR map, is it bigger than gta v map?

About 1,5 times the size of RDR's map. Check out this post for comparisons with RDR and GTA V.

Edited by Rockstar Vienna

I still see no reason to give the "leaked map" any creedence...everything I see posted here since it leaked is purely confirmation bias.

There are a lot of reasons actually, but strangely you are choosing to ignore them. Some of this can be written off as confirmation bias, but the mounting evidence including place name matches and highly specific terrain similarities needs to be acknowledged. Even most of the people who insisted it was fake at first have said it seems to be real (or at least they stopped arguing so vehemently).

I'm all for independent mapping though. It's a fun and valuable exercise.

Interestingly, I went back to one of my map files I created last fall to see how well it actually fit the leaked map. (I did not use the leaked map to create this model, in fact, at the time I was convinced it was fake :p).

Here's a gif of how well it actually fits:

giphy.gif

A picture of what the model looked like:

WUeTk2U.png

Which leads me to another point, this scene from the first trailer must take place in the region coined "Great Plains" on the leaked map:

IvCZ0Bj.png

Which would then place this house in the part of the map which was also accessible in RDR1? Or maybe in the region slightly north across the river? Thoughts?

Edited by jaredk_
Which leads me to another point, this scene from the first trailer must take place in the region coined "Great Plains" on the leaked map:

- snip -

Which would then place this house in the part of the map which was also accessible in RDR1? Or maybe in the region slightly north across the river? Thoughts?

Yeah, people were speculating about this after the first trailer came out. There are similaraties to RDR. But It's really hard to say. Great work with that model btw!

Edited by Rockstar Vienna