3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread

RedDagger

Rockstar Vienna

Whats up with this river in beechers hope?

If you're referring to that purple line in the leaked (maybe fake) map... That's not a river, it's a border line. Like the one through the "Heartland Oil Fields" or "Drewberry Creek".

• 1 month later...

Too much water, hope this is a farse

Yeah, it looks like it's got some nice diversity to it but all the rivers are a bit much.

One thing I found odd about he map is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of bridge connecting the new map to the old one. Does that mean we'll have to take a ferry/boat down The Wreck of the Serendipity? Or maybe you can trek south through Big Valley into Tall Trees?

That's all assuming the map is real and hasn't changed significantly since it was created though.

How come so many people still think the "leaked map" is real? I literally mapped out the mountains in 3D based on the first trailer, aligned the perspectives, and found absolutely no correlation between what I came up with based on actual data (the trailer), and that "leaked map." I admit my work is crude, and not all the mountains are in their exact in game locations (It's actually quite difficult to recreate a 3D landscape using only a few perspectives as reference), but still, I would expect to see at least SOME correlation if it were, in fact, real.

Heck, I'd almost be willing to bet money on the fact that the "leaked map" is fake!

http://i.imgur.com/UOB3yXN.png

Edited by jaredk_

How come so many people still think the "leaked map" is real? I literally mapped out the mountains in 3D based on the first trailer, aligned the perspectives, and found absolutely no correlation between what I came up with based on actual data (the trailer), and that "leaked map." I admit my work is crude, and not all the mountains are in their exact in game locations (It's actually quite difficult to recreate a 3D landscape using only a few perspectives as reference), but still, I would expect to see at least SOME correlation if it were, in fact, real.

Heck, I'd almost be willing to bet money on the fact that the "leaked map" is fake!

http://i.imgur.com/UOB3yXN.png

(oh man, it's been almost one year)

I think people would like to believe the map is real because that would be the biggest source of infos we have. Hopefully with what's coming today we can definitely prove it's fake :D

can't wait to have more stuff to map out !

• Like 2

Well sh*t, looks like I was wrong! I guess I owe someone money--if they had taken me up on my bet!

DW30zOD.png

iwTjX8h.png​

I must say, I am slightly disappointed though. Now I kind of feel as if the expanse of the map is now spoiled, knowing this one is true. Plus, I was never a very big fan of this map to begin with. Ah well, now we can try to map the other locations to this one. Perhaps I'll give the 3D mapping another go, so we can get a depth-representation.

Edited by jaredk_

Aight people, screen'd every shot in the new trailer with mountains in the background to get us started :santa:

uLxXO37.jpg

eI9TT0i.jpg

gJ4yVxG.jpg

OLoxlzF.jpg

OQzd9Nh.jpg

mnwPOyX.jpg

eKqbbmz.jpg

1l1Yjl5.jpg

'n here's the town if anyone's feeling lucky.

9mVDlxd.jpg

Edited by RedDagger
  • Like 9

gwZr6Zc.png

Well sh*t, looks like I was wrong! I guess I owe someone money--if they had taken me up on my bet!

~snipped

Can't quite make it out 100% but if that is indeed a creek that's feeding into the river on the bend in the trailer shot, then that is the best evidence yet that the map is real for me.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

If you're trying to match the scene to the map I think your perspective lines are a liiiiittle off :p

gwZr6Zc.png

Chinese Takeout

Well, I can instantly tell that they changed a ton of the mountain range details. It's the GTA5 announcement trailer "where'd those mountains go" blues all over again. Kinda sad I put so much work into mapping the original RDR2 trailer on the one hand.

On the other hand....HOOBOY! LET'S GET CARTOGRAPHYZING, BOYS! :happy:

If you're trying to match the scene to the map I think your perspective lines are a liiiiittle off :p

Yeah, I'm in a rush. Have to head out to lecture in about 5 minutes!

• Like 2

If you're matching the river to that bit of the map, it'd look more like this:

EF8CaGS.png

gwZr6Zc.png

If you're matching the river to that bit of the map, it'd look more like this:

EF8CaGS.png

Bit further up, I'd say. There's also what looks like a creek in bottom right of the trailer shot (Little Creek on the map) that looks to match up with the map:

1lzMo7H.png

But you're right that the perspective is off, if that is the creek then we should be seeing a large body of water in the top right of the shot, which we don't.

Rockstar Vienna

Most of the time I was 50/50 on the leaked map. Now I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. That New Bordeaux area can be seen in the trailer as well it seems.

If you're matching the river to that bit of the map, it'd look more like this:EF8CaGS.png

Below the yellow line I drew here I believe is the railroad? Makes the map look even more real if it is.

MKdN6Dx.png

• Like 1

Starting with the obvious, using the panorama Chinese Takeout made last year (mine is so ugly é_è)

sfbDEJq.jpg
heuQ67U.png

I'd say the view is from the position number one, whaat was called "pyramid" I think. But the mountain on the left might be a little close for pyramid, so maybe near area 2.

And the scene with the tent at the start of trailer #2 must also be in this zone from trailer #1, maybe a little lower

As for the "leaked map", could we please focus on cartography first ? Drawing lines on the map still doesn't prove anything if we don't have a clear area.

So this has made me a believer in the leaked map. I think the view in the "Rockstar Games Presents" shot is from "Shepherd's Rise". My only problem with this is that I can't see "Downes Ranch" even though we should be able to in that shot if that was the case. Perhaps it was removed?

Edited by JohnWeazel

So this has made me a believer in the leaked map. I think the view in the "Rockstar Games Presents" shot is from "Shepherd's Rise". My only problem with this is that I can't see "Downes Ranch" even though we should be able to in that shot if that was the case.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I see a building hidden in the middle of all those trees above the cliffside.

I've always been on he fence with the leaked map. But this lake is convincing. Quickly changing the perspective of the leaked lake in photoshop, it slots in with the real lake fairly accurately...

m1nCO9V.jpg

Edited by DuPz0r

Remember that the leaked map could be a very early version of the map they worked on and might have changed up a few things.

Okay, the next one:

Look at the map at rose square in the center. "Cornwall"

g7N5iCk.jpg

"Cornwall" again...
1NJ6tOp.png

also, a railroad station at the Oil Fields:
rw3yzbt.jpg

Edited by EVOLUT7ON

New trailer= new mapping. lets get it boyos

edit: Map real now? I'll cash in my chips with the others.

Edited by stjimmy3

More and more names connecting with the map! There was another one from earlier in this thread I believe too.

Okay, the next one:

Look at the map at rose square in the center. "Cornwall"

"Cornwall" again...

also, a railroad station at the Oil Fields:

I was just about to post that. you beat me to it.

That leaked map is looking more and more legit.

• Like 4