• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

I made this gif just to show the map matches. Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

Back to St Denis for a moment;

Spoiler

0e17f163b5e02bd24eb6de71f2c9148d.jpg

the statue here seems to be inspired by a bronze statue of Henry Clay, that originally stood on a very busy intersection on Canal Street, used as a roundabout for street cars at the time. The statue now stands in Lafayette Square after being moved there in 1901.

n_Clay_Monument_HorseTram_lg_e_2-0-1-3.j

n_clay_monument_PicturesqueNewOrleans_19

N_Clay_Statue__lafayettesquare_e2.jpg

https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2018/01/new-orleans-then-and-now-canal-street-and-henry-clays-monument/

Check out this distinctive building here

n_clay_monument_Picturesque_New_Orleans_

55 minutes ago, arno_cat said:

ezgif-4-b36bd4c970.gif

This is an approximate scale comparison of the map.

Sorry for the really sh*tty quality but my pc couldn't handle the size of the picture so I took screenshots instead. Massive props to @DuPz0r for creating the map

The image says "404 - image not found! The url you entered is invalid or expired.

Can you reupload the image?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Back to St Denis for a moment;

Reveal hidden contents

the statue here seems to be inspired by a bronze statue of Henry Clay, that originally stood on a very busy intersection on Canal Street, used as a roundabout for street cars at the time. The statue now stands in Lafayette Square after being moved there in 1901.

n_Clay_Monument_HorseTram_lg_e_2-0-1-3.j

n_clay_monument_PicturesqueNewOrleans_19

N_Clay_Statue__lafayettesquare_e2.jpg

https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2018/01/new-orleans-then-and-now-canal-street-and-henry-clays-monument/

Check out this distinctive building here

n_clay_monument_Picturesque_New_Orleans_

RM2bLfr.jpg

"Eugene Robinson's Museum & Theatre -- Performances Hourly." 

Interesting writeup about it on Wiki....they call it a "dime museum."  Those were basically lowbrow showplaces that offered brass bands, early jazz/Dixieland, and some vaudeville.

I really, really hope St. Denis' version does the same.  🎼🎶🎹🎺

So from everything we've seen so far, it appears that real life analogs are:

West Elizabeth-Colorado/New Mexico/Wyoming) (tall trees and the plains definitely resemble the mountains and plains of Colorado/Wyoming)

Heartlands- feels like some form of Nebraska/Kansas/Oklahoma/Dakotas

Ambarino-Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Colorado Rockies

Lemoyne-Louisana/Arkanas/Mississippi/East Texas

Roanoke Ridge-Seems like with the Annesburg coal mine and river it's some kind of Ohio River Ohio/West Virginia/Kentucky/Virginia combo.

26 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

RM2bLfr.jpg

Interesting writeup about it on Wiki....they call it a "dime museum."  Those were basically lowbrow showplaces that offered brass bands, early jazz/Dixieland, and some vaudeville.

Good sleuthing. I am very hopeful that every building and landmark in St Denis will be faithful renditions in both the architecture and purpose. It seems they are moving buildings around and compressing some areas as you would expect, but the main thoroughfare that was Canal Street in 1899 seems to have been recreated in detail. 

I am thinking of getting this book now, as it's very hard to find pictures of this period. https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Orleans-Richard-Campanella-2015-05-01/dp/B01K3GFP4Q

Edited by SneakyDeaky
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, arno_cat said:

It does for me too! I don't know why but some people can see it and some people can't...

https://imgur.com/a/blhdB7B

42 minutes ago, arno_cat said:

It does for me too! I don't know why but some people can see it and some people can't...

https://imgur.com/a/blhdB7B

That deff puts how big this map actually will be into perspective. Great work man

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mirokunite said:

Hmm, so they kept Nwa as a name. Then I guess they had to change to Saint Denis due to Mafia 3 beating them to the punch.

You actually could be right since it's seemingly the only place name that's been changed from the original map. If you're correct though the leaked map is actually a lot older than we think. Unless Rockstar literally only found out about New Bordeaux when everyone else did. Same publisher doesn't necessarily mean any inside knowledge I suppose.

11 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

This should help us narrow it's location.

8h0hdK6.jpg

EDIT: It really drives home just how big the map is too if you think of the scale. The little cabin at top of Mount hagen, must take forever to get up to and that is only one peak on the range.

EDIT: Removed my comparison with the shot of high above little creek and the cabins. The perspective did'nt look right after looking at it again.

Edited by GourangaMaster
1 hour ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

You actually could be right since it's seemingly the only place name that's been changed from the original map. If you're correct though the leaked map is actually a lot older than we think. Unless Rockstar literally only found out about New Bordeaux when everyone else did. Same publisher doesn't necessarily mean any inside knowledge I suppose.

Since Rockstar has been working on this game since like late 2010, who knows, the leaked map could be from like 2013 or something.

Maybe IDd another IRL New Orleans landmark.  

In the distance on our "Canal Street" postcard of St Denis, there's the Greek Revival columns of a neoclassical facade: 

rVXxbsS.jpg

Should be the location of Gallier Hall, NAwlins' city hall in that era.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallier_Hall 

tRXAOSr.jpg

12 hours ago, SneakyDeaky said:

It seems to me this "Spaldings" building is the Mercier Building, built 1887, destroyed in 1907. Photo courtesy Corbis. 

Screen-Shot-2018-03-17-at-5.22.11-PM.png

Edit: Quoted the wrong building name, its the Mercier Exchange.

I wonder how many other New Orleans buildings will show up in the game.  Here's the same one in a different game years later.

xwCqEKj.jpg

m6Hz03u.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, alz said:

I wonder how many other New Orleans buildings will show up in the game.  Here's the same one in a different game years later.

My guess I quite a lot. Since it is obviously based on N'Orleans and they have had tons of research and assets they can use from their sistercompany (MafiaIII). 

N'Orleans enthousiasts will see dozens of recognizable locations. My main question remains if we'll see them all fully explorable 🤔

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, ivarblaauw said:

My guess I quite a lot. Since it is obviously based on N'Orleans and they have had tons of research and assets they can use from their sistercompany (MafiaIII). 

N'Orleans enthousiasts will see dozens of recognizable locations. My main question remains if we'll see them all fully explorable 🤔

I'd bet on Jackson Square, the Cabildo, St Louis Cathedral, The Cotton Exchange, Bourbon Street and the Vieux Carré, Union Station, and definitely the infamous Storyville red light district. 

• Like 3

Is it possible that the Grizzlies extend westwards all the way until they reach the redemption mountains? 

Or is the mountain range west of the map a different range?

Edited by ivarblaauw

2 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

I'd bet on Jackson Square, the Cabildo, St Louis Cathedral, The Cotton Exchange, Bourbon Street and the Vieux Carré, Union Station, and definitely the infamous Storyville red light district. 

Bourbon Street? Or is that a modern thing? The furthest west I've been is Chengdu, China.

When these two RDR games are over we will have recreated the journey from Easy Rider. On horses instead of motorcycles.

Edited by Little Big Man
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, Little Big Man said:

Bourbon Street? Or is that a modern thing? The furthest west I've been is Chengdu, China.

When these two RDR games are over we will have recreated the journey from Easy Rider. On horses instead of motorcycles.

Yes. Yes yes yes and YES.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

RM2bLfr.jpg

I think we will see vaudeville shows in theatres. Remember the fire spewing lady from I think it was the second trailer? That was inside a theatre, either in Blackwater or Saint Denis? 

Also from the few screenshots of Saint Denis,this looks more lively than Mafia 3's New Bordeaux ever was. It was such an empty city. 

Edited by NickRooz
  • Like 2

I've found this interesting wiki page of tallest buildings in New Orleans:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_New_Orleans, and if you go to the Timeline section, there a couple of buildings that were the tallest during the time period that RDR 2 takes place. Those buildings could very well be recreated in Saint Denis.

During the period that RDR2 takes place, a building called Hampton Inn New Orleans Downtown was built, maybe we will see this building under construction aswell in Saint Denis, as Rockstar said that new constructions, railroads and houses/buildings are built as the story progresses?

Edited by NickRooz

Removed a few posts, let's try to keep things mapping related ;)

16 hours ago, JustAMetalHead said:

This is good, but I think someone already did this a few pages back.

Yeah I noticed, was hidden under a spoiler like my own post haha, didn't see it when I did a quick scan to see if it was already done!

Oh well 😂

• Like 2