Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    2. GTANet 20th Anniversary

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

    2. Support

      1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Mapping Red Dead Redemption 2! Landmark Analysis Thread


  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DuPz0r

    827

  • BretMaverick777

    607

  • Chinese Takeout

    465

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

I made this gif just to show the map matches. Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Hey man, sorry I got confused on the page I found that picture on, it's actually the Mercier Building, built 1887, destroyed in 1907. Home to the original Maison Blanche. In all likely hood the Cotton Exchange building will be there, too. A lot of these Italian Renaissance buildings in the city were razed by the 30's. I think St Denis will be a time capsule of a New Orleans that doesn't quite exist anymore...

 

So we can assume Spaldings is a fancy multi-story department store, and this road is the equivalent of New Orleans' Canal Street.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chinese Takeout said:

And...

 

3QmF4RA.gif

So Mt. Hagen is what we were calling "Three Peaks."  We now know that Hagen is the central, and dominant, peak of those three.  

Also, the ranch in Dupzor's picture above, where Arthur is drawing his rifle from his saddle:   Hanging Dog, I presume?

 

And riddle me this, y'all: 

 

"One of the more well-known peaks in the snowy Grizzlies of Ambarino, Mount Hagen towers above Lake Isabella to the west and Beartooth Beck to the east, which provides the main pass through the western mountain range and joins up with the Dakota River further south."

 

The main pass "through" the western mountain range...?   Folks, Beartooth Beck passes THROUGH the western mountain range to....

uncharted territory to the north.  

9SX3XtG.jpg

Somebody try to convince me that Ambarino isn't a LOT bigger than The Grizzlies.

  

Looks like that map extends NORTH.   (To Alaska?   He said, only half-jokingly)

#KlondikeGoldRush #JackLondon #WyattEarp #SoapySmith

#CallOfTheWild #WhiteFang #SgtPrestonOfTheYukon

U1ZOAXl.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

The main pass "through" the western mountain range...?   Folks, Beartooth Beck passes THROUGH the western mountain range to....

uncharted territory to the north.  

9SX3XtG.jpg

Somebody try to convince me that Ambarino isn't a LOT bigger than The Grizzlies.

  

Hosea to Arthur, as they're riding up into the Grizzlies at the start of the game, "It's a shame about that dynamite accident up there where they was clearin' rocks by Beartooth Beck, I think it was? I heard that pass through the Grizzlies'll be shut down for pernt-near a year, or more." 

 

Arthur, "Yeah, that sucks sh*t, dawg."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

DnSggVq.jpg

 

Mapped out Strawberry now that we got a town map and a few more screenshots. We've seen at least 90% of the town.

 

Trackers Hotel is in light pink.

Lower bridge(yellow) and an upper bridge(cyan) and can be differentiated by the railings(upper is fancier).

Schoolhouse(black) next to Trackers(seen in the top left shot). We have seen children in this town, so very likely they go to a school.

General Store across the street from Trackers(light green).

Law Office across the river from the general store(dark green).

Saw mill(?) in grey near the indigo house and Law Office.

Saloon(?) in dark cyan across the street from the church.

There is also a log flume heading(yellow-green) near the entrance to town heading up behind Trackers.

 

We have not seen the dark blue, or the grey buildings at all(as well as the outbuildings and anything out of what I've mapped), but I would assume there is a gunsmith or a doctor's office. Orange, indigo, purple, grey, dark pink and dark blue are all candidates, and the rest are most likely houses. There might be a few more buildings past the school or the sawmill, but this should encompass most, if not all, of the town.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sausache said:

DnSggVq.jpg

 

Mapped out Strawberry now that we got a town map and a few more screenshots. We've seen at least 90% of the town.

 

Trackers Hotel is in light pink.

Lower bridge(yellow) and an upper bridge(cyan) and can be differentiated by the railings(upper is fancier).

Schoolhouse(black) next to Trackers(seen in the top left shot). We have seen children in this town, so very likely they go to a school.

General Store across the street from Trackers(light green).

Law Office across the river from the general store(dark green).

Saw mill(?) in grey near the indigo house and Law Office.

Saloon(?) in dark cyan across the street from the church.

There is also a log flume heading(yellow-green) near the entrance to town heading up behind Trackers.

 

We have not seen the dark blue, or the grey buildings at all(as well as the outbuildings and anything out of what I've mapped), but I would assume there is a gunsmith or a doctor's office. Orange, indigo, purple, grey, dark pink and dark blue are all candidates, and the rest are most likely houses. There might be a few more buildings past the school or the sawmill, but this should encompass most, if not all, of the town.

Strawberry is my favorite town so far! Can't wait to explore it.  

 

I love the atmosphere. I imagine waking up early in the winter and having a hot cup of coffee with the local folks around the fire as smoke comes out of the houses's chimney.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, arno_cat said:

lDH7H1b.gif

I made this gif just to show the map matches.

Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!


There it is! Looks like St Denis is going to be a pretty sizeable city. Based on this snippet and the scale of that building in the new pic.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, great deduction and sleuthing, y'all... I just saw the release of the settlements on the website and here we are with you guys already having pinned down locations and crafted kickass maps and overlays--nice work! So a couple thoughts, random stuff here:

 

* Nice to have a fix on Mt Hagen and flesh in that part of the map with more specificity. If these mountainous areas are explorable and navigable, this map is going to be ginormous. I'm trying to get a sense of the mountain composition but it sort of looks like a combination of the Tetons in places, the US Rockies in others, perhaps the Dolomites in others. The image rendering is just beautiful. Wow. 

 

* Saint Denis: so one thing has bothered me from the jump on this city, and that was the streetcar. City streetcar lines, excepting San Francisco and New Orleans were still in their infancy pretty much anywhere in the USA. But the more I've thought about how Saint Denis is essentially a proxy for New Orleans, it adds up given the timeline. The NOLA streetcars went electric in 1893, and since the game is in 1899, this is plausible. For the longest time, I just thought this was a leap too far to modernity that R* was making, but I stand corrected. Throw in the architecture and the homage to the city itself, and this could be a really amazing city to immerse yourself into in the game. And for anyone who hasn't been to NOLA, go and savor the history there. 

 

* Strawberry reminds me of a lot of mountain logging towns. I can see a little bit of Flagstaff there, maybe Butte Falls, OR, places like that. Dry, high western places with tons of pines and massive forests. Could make for some interesting gameplay too, if they make forests more dense. Heck, the images of Strawberry give me kind of a Deadwood/Black HIlls, SD sort of vibe too. 

 

* I know right now that a gator is going to kill me at some point in this game and I'll scream like a girl. I still favor staying on a wagon when I go to Tall Trees just because i get ambushed by bears, haha...

 

Great job everyone with the GIS reckoning. A month and a week to go until release!!

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chinese Takeout said:

well, no, they refer to 3 things:

  1. The Frontier
  2. Cities
  3. Towns

And then the post goes on to show all 3 of those things. That's how I read it, anyway. 

 

  Hide contents

vnPILib.jpg

 

EDIT: for clarity - I would read it differently if it was "The Frontier: Cities & Towns"

well you cant read then, there is no colon or semicolon just a comma so its listing three things

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bcsimms04 said:

Having this sinking feeling that the desert is online only or a dlc or something and that Blackwater is a one off intro like North Yankton.

get out

26 minutes ago, Pumpkin Zone said:

So it's safe to assume that New Bordeaux is now named Saint Denis, unless there's another large New Orleans-type city I missed on the leaked map.

that been safe for months

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frivolous_Raven said:

Strawberry is my favorite town so far! Can't wait to explore it.  

 

I love the atmosphere. I imagine waking up early in the winter and having a hot cup of coffee with the local folks around the fire as smoke comes out of the houses's chimney.

If the dude wants to turn Strawberry into a tourist resort, he'd damn well better get the railroad out there.   There's no rail lines to it on the map.   #JustSaiyan

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ivarblaauw said:

Also they only refer to 'the frontier'. There is not the mention of city life until later in the blog.

 

Also we haven't seen anything about the Western Border States or the Civilized East. 

 

2 hours ago, Chinese Takeout said:

well, no, they refer to 3 things:

  1. The Frontier
  2. Cities
  3. Towns

And then the post goes on to show all 3 of those things. That's how I read it, anyway. 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

vnPILib.jpg

 

EDIT: for clarity - I would read it differently if it was "The Frontier: Cities & Towns"

 

33 minutes ago, INFERNO E100 said:

well you cant read then, there is no colon or semicolon just a comma so its listing three things

Excusez-moi, but who is the one unable to read? 😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

If the dude wants to turn Strawberry into a tourist resort, he'd damn well better get the railroad out there.   There's no rail lines to it on the map.   #JustSaiyan

Oh no...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks, 

 

Thought I'd add in the little map snippets of each area without the title name superimposed on them. Hope it helps us 😁

 

Valentine, The Heartlands, NH

Spoiler

130cc3caa3398d5502b0e88d50f0bed9.jpg

 

 

Annesburg, Roanoke Ridge, NH

Spoiler

49287e42b8d7e78a1a724d45d972ba60.jpg

 

Saint Denis, Bayou Nwa, LE

Spoiler

b95bfe9acc6880c3a50eb0f8b7bef8f4.jpg

 

Mount Hagen, Grizzlies, AM

Spoiler

e63443298d1d4ade863d56213e686466.jpg

 

Rhodes, Scarlett Meadows, LE

Spoiler

c0cff8f98f08d70931367ac18f3db413.jpg

 

Strawberry, Big Valley, WE

Spoiler

40185299747eb7266532621a37de0986.jpg

 

Lagras, Bayou Nwa, LE

Spoiler

0a02a206630192ccb27a84de8a6af3cf.jpg

 

Again hope this helps us!

 

Cheers

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amateur attempt at mapping Annesburg...

 

These first four are roughly shot in the same direction.

khwBD2z.png

 

b60kWNP.jpg

 

VxgP3Xh.png

 

iezKaoL.jpg

 

uxG06W0.png

 

For this shot, it appears that track 3 crosses over track 1/2, with a curve to the left(north). It's really the only explanation I can think of for why there's a train behind Arthur, when track 1/2 runs parallel to the direction they're facing.

UhzKhGE.png

 

For example, in this screen, you can picture track 3 making a curve to the bottom right of the frame, to get a better idea. Also, the "other" track may just be track 1/2, or a separate siding.

yJlj4Rt.png

 

Sorry for the mess, I'm just trying to give us a general direction of where each shot is taken. Hopefully this helps someone if they want to try and complete the section of the map they gave us...

Edited by zachsterosu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonny04 said:

Hi folks, 

 

Thought I'd add in the little map snippets of each area without the title name superimposed on them. Hope it helps us 😁

 

Valentine, The Heartlands, NH

  Reveal hidden contents

130cc3caa3398d5502b0e88d50f0bed9.jpg

 

 

Annesburg, Roanoke Ridge, NH

  Reveal hidden contents

49287e42b8d7e78a1a724d45d972ba60.jpg

 

Saint Denis, Bayou Nwa, LE

  Reveal hidden contents

b95bfe9acc6880c3a50eb0f8b7bef8f4.jpg

 

Mount Hagen, Grizzlies, AM

  Reveal hidden contents

e63443298d1d4ade863d56213e686466.jpg

 

Rhodes, Scarlett Meadows, LE

  Reveal hidden contents

c0cff8f98f08d70931367ac18f3db413.jpg

 

Strawberry, Big Valley, WE

  Reveal hidden contents

40185299747eb7266532621a37de0986.jpg

 

Lagras, Bayou Nwa, LE

  Reveal hidden contents

0a02a206630192ccb27a84de8a6af3cf.jpg

 

Again hope this helps us!

 

Cheers

This is good, but I think someone already did this a few pages back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm reading the minimap right, there's a creek running through the middle of Strawberry?

That's a very nice town! Not my personal favorite, but seems very quiet and peaceful and calming to hang out in. Can't wait to sit by the creek and watch the NPCs do their day to day thing

EDIT: So where is this Spaldings in Saint Denis? I'm not sure which of the big buildings it is. The smokestack on the far left side of the picture is throwing me off

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

EDIT: So where is this Spaldings in Saint Denis? I'm not sure which of the big buildings it is. The smokestack on the far left side of the picture is throwing me off

 

I'm thinking maybe to the right of Dutch's pinky..

 

 

2 hours ago, arno_cat said:

lDH7H1b.gif

I made this gif just to show the map matches.

Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree with the pinky area considering in the "red" map you can see the cable car route between the streets running toward the pinky

St. Denis is going to be a fantastic city to wander around and explore. I really hope R* went all out on business' interiors and small shops that you can see inside of as you walk by

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 4 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.