• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

I made this gif just to show the map matches. Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

Just now, BretMaverick777 said:

Like they didn't change the land and geography of West Elizabeth...?  Hell, they added an entirely new region, a big one.  We've already seen changes to Blackwater, and we don't even know what the differences to Beecher's Hope and Cochinay are gonna be.  According to the reddit leak, Beecher's Hope won't even exist until John Marston builds it from scratch in 1906.   Cochinay is likely a mining camp operated by white folks, under a different name, long before Dutch drags his Apaches up there.   And what about Manzanita Post?   Pacific Union Railroad Camp isn't even on the map yet. 

This is not your grandpappy's New Austin.   And they've probably been working on it for as long as they've been working on RDR2.  They know that there would be a demand, both by the fans and by the story, to weave the RDR1 and RDR2 storylines together.  And trust, the next question on everybody's mind is gonna be "where's Nuevo Paraiso?"   I strongly doubt they're going to put 2/3 of the RDR1 map in there and leave out Mexico. 

Did they change the land and geography of West Elizabeth? It looks pretty similar to me, the scale looks bigger but that's probably more to do with draw distance and camera angles than straight up new landmass.

I also didn't say that it was impossible for them to change the RDR1 map anyways, I said I wouldn't even be surprised if they did. I also feel like this game is already large enough and really diverse, considering the fact that we will mainly be on horse and on foot (and maybe even on boats) I feel like traveling around this map will be a nightmare and we would definitely rely too much on fast traveling.

"One of the more well-known peaks in the snowy Grizzlies of Ambarino, Mount Hagen towers above Lake Isabella to the west and Beartooth Beck to the east, which provides the main pass through the western mountain range and joins up with the Dakota River further south."

Anyone see "lake?" written here, just on the border. So if this is Lake Isabella

40aW4yP.png

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/dist/img/global/features/locations/a16c122f9790d226f484ba208205fc33.jpg

Arthur in this picture may be heading down the mountain towards it to the left. See if we can maybe match the mountain range to the one in the Valentine screenshot, i think this could be the location. https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/dist/img/global/features/locations/5b4d93ba9182bdb33fb56ba33543dc66.jpg

• Like 2

I'm guessing there are two main regions to the map: The Frontier and The West. The West is what they've wanted to remain a mystery, at least for now, and will contain at least New Austin. Since New Austin has been the fifth and final state mentioned thus far, I don't think there will be a sixth, but I do hold out hope that Mexico is represented in "The West" region in some fashion. 

Edited by e1999KrayzieBone
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

Wait is Beartooth Beck the name of the peak or the whole range of peaks behind i wonder?

fx8kBdZ.jpg

Let me step back and regroup for a minute.

What if "Beck" isn't a mountain, but a river? 

Checking the definition of it, "beck" is a British dialectical of a "stream or creek."  

We know there's an unmarked stream that runs down to the Dakota River just above Cumberland Falls.   It's marked on the leaked map as the dividing line between "Grizzlies Intro" and "Grizzlies" proper.   This is one of those rare occasions where a regional border is also a natural one.   In this case, I believe that creek is called "Beartooth Beck." 

The mountain in the post card is, of course, Mt. Hagen itself.

Although....it would make sense for the mountain in the background to be named Beartooth as well, from its shape.   So...Beartooth Beck is the creek that runs down the hollow separating Beartooth Mountain and Mt. Hagen, maybe? 

Xc9qp4x.jpg

7 minutes ago, AndyGanteks said:

"One of the more well-known peaks in the snowy Grizzlies of Ambarino, Mount Hagen towers above Lake Isabella to the west and Beartooth Beck to the east, which provides the main pass through the western mountain range and joins up with the Dakota River further south."

Anyone see "lake?" written here, just on the border. So if this is Lake Isabella

40aW4yP.png

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/dist/img/global/features/locations/a16c122f9790d226f484ba208205fc33.jpg

Arthur in this picture may be heading down the mountain towards it to the left. See if we can maybe match the mountain range to the one in the Valentine screenshot, i think this could be the location. https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/dist/img/global/features/locations/5b4d93ba9182bdb33fb56ba33543dc66.jpg

If that's right then that could be Adler Ranch right there? Doesn't look much of a ranch though...
a16c122f9790d226f484ba208205fc33.jpg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, tsycho said:

Could Amberino be a part of Canada? I mean on the leaked map is a place called "Chez Porter" which is french... Maybe a bit far fetched, but still...

I really doubt this tbh. That would mean from Mexico to Canada, America is only like 4 miles wide, which is too unrealistic even for R*s standards. 

In everything we've seen so far, they've been treating it like an American state and I doubt they would give a Canadian province a Spanish sounding name. 

I'm pretty convinced after today that West Elizabeth is Colorado (which we already knew) and Ambarino, despite having a more similar name to Colorado is actually mostly modeled after Wyoming. That shot of the mountain looks pretty Teton-like an it would make since given its position to WE and New Hanover, which we know is at least partly Nebraska. 

Wyoming has a ton of French place names like the Grand Tetons, Dubois, Sinclair, etc.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, e1999KrayzieBone said:

I'm guessing there are two main regions to the map: The Frontier and The West. The West is what they've wanted to remain a mystery, at least for now, and will contain at least New Austin. Since New Austin has been the fifth and final state mentioned thus far, I don't think there will be a sixth, but I do hold out hope that Mexico is represented in "The West" region in some fashion. 

in RDR the map was labelled western border states and included west elizabeth which rdr2 does too 

6 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Checking the definition of it, "beck" is a British dialectical of a "stream or creek."  

We know there's an unmarked stream that runs down to the Dakota River just above Cumberland Falls.   It's marked on the leaked map as the dividing line between "Grizzlies Intro" and "Grizzlies" proper.   This is one of those rare occasions where a regional border is also a natural one.   In this case, I believe that creek is called "Beartooth Beck." 

Although....it would make sense for the mountain in the background to be named Beartooth as well, from its shape.   So...Beartooth Beck is the creek that runs down the hollow separating Beartooth Mountain and Mt. Hagen, maybe? 

Xc9qp4x.jpg

Yeah, I think you got it right cause I’m Italian and on the Italian official site it says “il torrente Beartooth” which translates in “the Beartooth stream”.

• Like 4
Just now, SneakyDeaky said:

If that's right then that could be Adler Ranch right there? Doesn't look much of a ranch though...

Nah that's definitely not the ranch, probably just a random shack. This picture may be taken between the Adler ranch to the left and down and "Colter" or that pass to the right of the little cabin.

vDnHSig.png

There seems to be quite a few of the orange trail behind the purple big text "The Grizzlies" which covers it, i'm trying to pinpoint the possible road to match the picture.

Lake itself could also be the body of water between Colter and Chez Porter, 2 ones further up just don't seem west enough to have something as important to the east of it. And the little blue dot next to COlter, that's just too small for a lake, think we shouldn't consider it.

6 minutes ago, albinobuffalo96 said:

I really doubt this tbh. That would mean from Mexico to Canada, America is only like 4 miles wide, which is too unrealistic even for R*s standards. 

In everything we've seen so far, they've been treating it like an American state and I doubt they would give a Canadian province a Spanish sounding name. 

I'm pretty convinced after today that West Elizabeth is Colorado (which we already knew) and Ambarino, despite having a more similar name to Colorado is actually mostly modeled after Wyoming. That shot of the mountain looks pretty Teton-like an it would make since given its position to WE and New Hanover, which we know is at least partly Nebraska. 

Wyoming has a ton of French place names like the Grand Tetons, Dubois, Sinclair, etc.

The Louisiana Purchase was the acquisition of the Louisiana territory by the United States from France theres a whole f*ckton of french names in that area 

3 minutes ago, AndyGanteks said:

Nah that's definitely not the ranch, probably just a random shack. This picture may be taken between the Adler ranch to the left and down and "Colter" or that pass to the right of the little cabin.

vDnHSig.png

There seems to be quite a few of the orange trail behind the purple big text "The Grizzlies" which covers it, i'm trying to pinpoint the possible road to match the picture.

Lake itself could also be the body of water between Colter and Chez Porter, 2 ones further up just don't seem west enough to have something as important to the east of it. And the little blue dot next to COlter, that's just too small for a lake, think we shouldn't consider it.

the lake is behind the "E" of "the" in "THE GRIZZLIES (intro)"

1 hour ago, DuPz0r said:

I wonder why Van Horn wasn't mentioned here...?

I've been thinking more about this, and i think the answer is in the description:

The Frontier, Cities & Towns

Discover some of the towns dotted across the vast and varied landscape of Red Dead Redemption 2; from the forests of West Elizabeth to the mountains of Ambarino to the plains of New Hanover to the swamps of Lemoyne.

1. "...SOME of the towns..."
  2. They use the phrase "varied landscape" in the first half of the sentence...
    1. ...and then in the second half, they give examples of some of those types of landscape
      1. Forests > W.E.
      2. Mountains > Amb
      3. Plains > N.H.
      4. Swamps > Lem

16 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

Bäck (pronounced "beck") means small river in Swedish, so you might just be right about that!

Edited by TechDevil
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, INFERNO E100 said:

The Louisiana Purchase was the acquisition of the Louisiana territory by the United States from France theres a whole f*ckton of french names in that area 

Holy sh*t you just made me realize something

The new map IS the Lousiana Purchase. If we think about what states we think are being represented it lines up almost perfectly.

1 minute ago, TechDevil said:

Bäck (pronounced) "beck" means small river in Swedish, so you might just be right about that!

and the italian version of the site calls it beartooth stream

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chinese Takeout said:

I've been thinking more about this, and i think the answer is in the description:

1. "...SOME of the towns..."
  2. They use the phrase "varied landscape" in the first half of the sentence...
    1. ...and then in the second half, they give examples of some of those types of landscape
      1. Forests > W.E.
      2. Mountains > Amb
      3. Plains > N.H.
      4. Swamps > Lem

Also they only refer to 'the frontier'. There is not the mention of city life until later in the blog.

Also we haven't seen anything about the Western Border States or the Civilized East. 

2 minutes ago, TechDevil said:

Bäck (pronounced) "beck" means small river in Swedish, so you might just be right about that!

He's 100% right. A beck is a small stream or river.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ivarblaauw said:

Also they only refer to 'the frontier'. There is not the mention of city life until later in the blog.

Also we haven't seen anything about the Western Border States or the Civilized East. 

well, no, they refer to 3 things:

1. The Frontier
  2. Cities
  3. Towns

And then the post goes on to show all 3 of those things. That's how I read it, anyway. 

Spoiler

vnPILib.jpg

EDIT: for clarity - I would read it differently if it was "The Frontier: Cities & Towns"

Edited by Chinese Takeout
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Chinese Takeout said:

well, no, they refer to 3 things:

1. The Frontier
  2. Cities
  3. Towns

And then the post goes on to show all 3 of those things. That's how I read it, anyway. 

Hide contents

vnPILib.jpg

Yeah I get that but I meant geographically wise. No mention of either the Western Border States or the east *or south*, at all.

Blackwater is also not mentioned.

They only shown a few things, and nothing more. There will be plenty to discover :)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

This should help us narrow it's location.

Upper right picture, that;s near Horseshoe Overlook right?

8 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Y'all could be right.  

18 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

We know Sadie's husband got murdered by somebody.  If that's the ranch (I think it is), then it probably got wrecked by whoever murdered him.  They might well have tore up boards for firewood, for that matter, before they went back down the mountain.  I'd say that is, in fact, the ruins of Adler Ranch.

And this is Colter, our shelter from the snowstorm (give or take a few random shootouts in the snow):

atatzPE.jpg

So maybe this is the cartography of Mt. Hagen?   Lake Isabella to the west at the foot of the mountain, the stream called Beartooth Beck in the eastern valley, Beartooth Ridge being the jagged peaks to the east, Colter being the snowed-in settlement on the eastern slope, and Adler Ranch...

Hm.   Adler Ranch definitely looks like it's in the valley.  And it wouldn't make sense to build a ranch on TOP of a mountain.   So the ramshackle shack-le on top of the mountain is something else, but probably located on the summit.  

9SX3XtG.jpg

• Like 3

The frozen settlement is looking more and more likely it's Adler Ranch.

And the shootout is probably the Colter Camp where they hold up for the winter.

Edited by DuPz0r
  • Like 3

It seems to me this "Spaldings" building is the Mercier Building, built 1887, destroyed in 1907. Photo courtesy Corbis. 

0e17f163b5e02bd24eb6de71f2c9148d.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-03-17-at-5.22.11-PM.png

Edit: Quoted the wrong building name, its the Mercier Exchange.

Edited by SneakyDeaky
5 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

The frozen settlement is looking more and more likely it's Adler Ranch.

And the shootout is probably the Colter Camp where they hold up for the winter.

If we're right about Colter being the shootout scene (and face it:  we are :lol:), then it looks to me like a mining camp of some sort.  There's probably more heat inside the mines than in those outbuildings, so the camp itself probably resembles something like Dutch's setup at Cochinay.  

1 minute ago, SneakyDeaky said:

It seems to me this "Spaldings" building is based on the New Orleans Cotton Exchange built in 1871, destroyed in 1920.

0e17f163b5e02bd24eb6de71f2c9148d.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-03-17-at-5.22.11-PM.png

I LOVE YOU, MAN :cry:

Seriously, it's so awesome that Rockstar are using real-world landmarks, both natural and man-made, in RDR2.  

And it's so awesome that so many of you are finding these places.

Right on the money. 

4 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

If we're right about Colter being the shootout scene (and face it:  we are :lol:), then it looks to me like a mining camp of some sort.  There's probably more heat inside the mines than in those outbuildings, so the camp itself probably resembles something like Dutch's setup at Cochinay.  

I LOVE YOU, MAN :cry:

Seriously, it's so awesome that Rockstar are using real-world landmarks, both natural and man-made, in RDR2.  

And it's so awesome that so many of you are finding these places.

Right on the money. 

Hey man, sorry I got confused on the page I found that picture on, it's actually the Mercier Building, built 1887, destroyed in 1907. Home to the original Maison Blanche. In all likely hood the Cotton Exchange building will be there, too. A lot of these Italian Renaissance buildings in the city were razed by the 30's. I think St Denis will be a time capsule of a New Orleans that doesn't quite exist anymore...

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, bcsimms04 said:

Having this sinking feeling that the desert is online only or a dlc or something and that Blackwater is a one off intro like North Yankton.

Nah, Gameplay trailer implies that it's explorable as much as the other environments introduced in the trailer. It also does not make sense to create a whole environment and filling it with details for Online only. 

• Like 7