• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

Río del Lobo?  

8 minutes ago, paddymcg said:

Okay you're taking this a bit too personally, relax.

I obviously don't have the answers, I'm just remaining cautiously optimistic until we have something a little more concrete than an ambiguous mention on some merch. 

I don't think I was coming across aggressively or trying to take it personally with my reply at all. I was just showing the evidence for New Austin. 😕

Edited by SneakyDeaky
  • Like 3
Just now, Chinese Takeout said:

That sounds like a lot of work. They'd almost need an extra year to put all that in.

More than just an extra year, especially with how long game development takes nowadays and all of the bug testing they'd have to do.

4 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

I don't think I was coming across aggressively or trying to take it personally with my reply at all. I was just showing the evidence for New Austin. 😕

Okay, my bad, it sounded different in my head.

Just now, BretMaverick777 said:

5GXcpRz.jpg

Cornwall.

That damn robber baron is EVERYWHERE.  

I just can't wait to walk into St. Denis taking my time and talking with all of the citizens and maybe shooting a few lawmen on the way cause why not.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, JustAMetalHead said:

More than just an extra year, especially with how long game development takes nowadays and all of the bug testing they'd have to do.

It would take WAY more than an extra year if I was doing it by myself. It would probably take about 30 years. The amount of time it takes to do something is relative to the size of the team, resources and level of expertise involved.

We aren't able to quantify the resources Rockstar/Take Two have spent on the last few years of development, so I'm not sure how we can quantify the time it would take. That's a level of speculation greater even than guessing that New Austin is in the game, IMO.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I wonder why Van Horn wasn't mentioned here...?

Not just Van Horn but Blackwater, too. I find it interesting that Lagras was mentioned, which is marked as a settlement on the map. Well, there are plenty of other settlements too, some much larger.

I do hope we get a another update to this feature.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, DuPz0r said:

I wonder why Van Horn wasn't mentioned here...?

Because they only show us a few of the towns. A lot of other locations haven't been mentioned as well :)

• Like 6
Just now, Chinese Takeout said:

It would take WAY more than an extra year if I was doing it by myself. It would probably take about 30 years. The amount of time it takes to do something is relative to the size of the team, resources and level of expertise involved.

We aren't able to quantify the resources Rockstar/Take Two have spent on the last few years of development, so I'm not sure how we can quantify the time it would take. That's a level of speculation greater even than guessing that New Austin is in the game, IMO.

I guess, but haven't they been working on this game for 8 years now? (I'm sure a lot of time was put in the concept stage though) 

Rockstar likes to take their time to develop, which is a good thing in my opinion.

• Like 1

Give or take their final shape around places like Little Creek, Mossy Flats and Butcher Creek, this is it region wise, now we gotta find where the newly mentioned areas fit in the map, and where is the god damn desert. Maybe it is that island after all and New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso or a new region simply don't exist.

oTgaxlo.jpg

• Like 8

I feel like they just picked a handful of locations to give us a sneak peak. I see no reason to consider today's feature to be an exhaustive list. Just a few of the locales. I'd imagine (or hope) they'll leave some locations as hidden...to be discovered by players as complete surprises as we go through the game.

7 minutes ago, paddymcg said:

Okay, my bad, it sounded different in my head.

Hey no worries, sorry if I came across as harsh or something. I was against New Austin being in the game a few months ago. I agree with you that I don't see the gang going to New Austin, but right now there's too much evidence not to speculate. My gut feeling is it could be online only or perhaps just a piece of the New Austin map, like a North Yankton type of deal. But I'm very hopeful for the full map.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JustAMetalHead said:

I feel like recreating all of or even most of new Austin is a really challenging task that this forum doesn't really understand is that easy to do. Not only would Rockstar have to retexture everything and add new paths and new peds with their own lines, they would also have to make it look like New Austin is older. They'd have to make New Austin have story missions, they'd have to add side content and mini games. It'd be a lot of resources used for a map we already have seen before.

The fact that they haven't really shown a town for any place that looks kind of like a desert, makes me feel like the desert is actually a lot smaller than we think it is. 

Who says they're recreating all of/even most of New Austin?

Who says they haven't added new features/regions to New Austin?

The so-far 100% accurate reddit leak said Armadillo and Ridgewood are coming back.  Didn't say anything else about New Austin.

We've seen that Thieves' Landing was an afterthought on the leaked RDR2 map.

In RDR2, they're likely building New Austin from the ground up, not trying to port a pixel for pixel redraw of the state we saw in RDR1. 

Armadillo is gonna be different.  Ridgewood is gonna be different.  Del Lobo Rock is likely to be in there (the hacienda hideout), and likely to be different.  Thieves Landing is gonna be different.  Bet that Tumbleweed will be in it, and RADICALLY different -- a fully functioning town, not a ghost town.  If the Macfarlane ranch is in it (and why not?), bet that it, too, will be (say it with me y'all) ...different.

Nobody wants to see the same ole same ole.  Trust, R* understands that.  So they're obviously going to redesign New Austin to be something different.  Just like West Elizabeth, it could be considerably larger than the state we played in 8 years ago. 

New Austin's place in Arthur's storyline is most likely about the expansion of the railroad west, likely driven by the robber baron, Leviticus Cornwall.  As we see the railroad come to West Elizabeth, and Blackwater rapidly modernize accordingly, we'll then see Cornwall push even farther west, into New Austin.  It's necessary for him to get the rails to Plainview, to reach rich new oilfields.   A lot of the backstory of New Austin in RDR1 revolved around the railroad choosing to use Armadillo as a rail hub instead of Tumbleweed.   We'll probably see that here, and see why Cornwall picked Armadillo and left Tumbleweed to rot.  And most of this will probably be after 1906.   John leaves the gang, builds his ranch at Beecher's Hope.  Arthur and Dutch's Gang keeps on outlawing.  New Austin unlocks, WITHOUT the Marstons' presence.  Timeline still intact, no?  

Have faith.  

Anyone noticed a canoe with a person inside?

OJpYBJZ.jpg

I think we might be looking towards south east from Lagres and i like how cleverly they used fog to hide what is there.

8 minutes ago, AndyGanteks said:

Give or take their final shape around places like Little Creek, Mossy Flats and Butcher Creek, this is it region wise, now we gotta find where the newly mentioned areas fit in the map, and where is the god damn desert. Maybe it is that island after all and New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso or a new region simply don't exist.

oTgaxlo.jpg

Yeah, in my mind, this was the one placeholder map that most closely resembles what the final map is going to be (not including any section that might still be unrevealed, like Mexico, of course)

BpVPVH8.jpg

10 minutes ago, tsycho said:

Could Amberino be a part of Canada? I mean on the leaked map is a place called "Chez Porter" which is french... Maybe a bit far fetched, but still...

Ambarino sounds like Alberta.

CALLED IT!  :lol:

GhsR0bB.png

13 minutes ago, tsycho said:

Could Amberino be a part of Canada? I mean on the leaked map is a place called "Chez Porter" which is french... Maybe a bit far fetched, but still...

BY THE WAY....you just reminded me of something I meant to come back in here and post, haha...

Any remote chance that "Chez Porter" is one of Rockstar's goofy references? In this case to:

I mean, nothing about the lyrics of the song have anything to do with a high mountain pass...it's just an American Railroad song. But still...that name! hahaha

Who says they're recreating all of/even most of New Austin?

Who says they haven't added new features/regions to New Austin?

The so-far 100% accurate reddit leak said Armadillo and Ridgewood are coming back.  Didn't say anything else about New Austin.

We've seen that Thieves' Landing was an afterthought on the leaked RDR2 map.

If you're gonna go all the way to Armadillo and Ridgewood, you would've included a large part of New Austin, which is what I'm saying.

In RDR2, they're likely building New Austin from the ground up, not trying to port a pixel for pixel redraw of the state we saw in RDR1. 

Armadillo is gonna be different.  Ridgewood is gonna be different.  Del Lobo Rock is likely to be in there (the hacienda hideout), and likely to be different.  Thieves Landing is gonna be different.  Bet that Tumbleweed will be in it, and RADICALLY different -- a fully functioning town, not a ghost town.  If the Macfarlane ranch is in it (and why not?), bet that it, too, will be (say it with me y'all) ...different.

This sort of proves my point though, a LOT of resources are gonna go into creating this part of the map. Even if it's different, it's still a map we've already seen. They probably won't change the land and geography that much, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little different.

2 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

New Austin's place in Arthur's storyline is most likely about the expansion of the railroad west, likely driven by the robber baron, Leviticus Cornwall.  As we see the railroad come to West Elizabeth, and Blackwater rapidly modernize accordingly, we'll then see Cornwall push even farther west, into New Austin.  It's necessary for him to get the rails to Plainview, to reach rich new oilfields.   A lot of the backstory of New Austin in RDR1 revolved around the railroad choosing to use Armadillo as a rail hub instead of Tumbleweed.   We'll probably see that here, and see why Cornwall picked Armadillo and left Tumbleweed to rot.  And most of this will probably be after 1906.   John leaves the gang, builds his ranch at Beecher's Hope.  Arthur and Dutch's Gang keeps on outlawing.  New Austin unlocks, WITHOUT the Marstons' presence.  Timeline still intact, no?  

Have faith.  

I never said that they couldn't have a story set in New Austin because of John Marston not going there himself. My main argument is that it would take a long time and a lot of resources to implement this, and I feel like if we were to have a massive bit of the story set in New Austin they would have at least confirmed it being playable because I'm sure that would be good marketing for Rockstar.

• Like 1

Also...Bret called this a couple months ago, and I altered a version of the map to reflect that, haha. I would LOVE if Canada/Yukon somehow figured into the game...

Spoiler

6iBmg8e.jpg

• Like 2

SQgC7zS.jpg

Worth's name over the Valentine stockyard, too.   "Davidson Worth?"  "____ Yard?"  Doesn't look like that word on the banner is "Stock." 

Either way, Worth pretty much owns Valentine, doesn't he?

5 minutes ago, Stakoman said:

You guys think this is the same church (top rigth)?

5b4d93ba9182bdb33fb56ba33543dc66.jpg

RedDead2_GameplayVideo_DutchGang_Town_Ch

that ranch has been locked in as valentine for like six weeks

and the church in valentine even longer

zero doubts mate

10 minutes ago, INFERNO E100 said:

that ranch has been locked in as valentine for like six weeks

and the church in valentine even longer

zero doubts mate

hoo nice! sorry about that :D

Edited by Stakoman
3 minutes ago, BretMaverick777 said:

SQgC7zS.jpg

Worth's name over the Valentine stockyard, too.   "Davidson Worth?"  "____ Yard?"  Doesn't look like that word on the banner is "Stock." 

Either way, Worth pretty much owns Valentine, doesn't he?

I think it's "AUCTION YARD".

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, JustAMetalHead said:

If you're gonna go all the way to Armadillo and Ridgewood, you would've included a large part of New Austin, which is what I'm saying.

This sort of proves my point though, a LOT of resources are gonna go into creating this part of the map. Even if it's different, it's still a map we've already seen. They probably won't change the land and geography that much, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little different.

Like they didn't change the land and geography of West Elizabeth...?  Hell, they added an entirely new region, a big one.  We've already seen changes to Blackwater, and we don't even know what the differences to Beecher's Hope and Cochinay are gonna be.  According to the reddit leak, Beecher's Hope won't even exist until John Marston builds it from scratch in 1906.   Cochinay is likely a mining camp operated by white folks, under a different name, long before Dutch drags his Apaches up there.   And what about Manzanita Post?   Pacific Union Railroad Camp isn't even on the map yet. 

This is not your grandpappy's New Austin.   And they've probably been working on it for as long as they've been working on RDR2.  They know that there would be a demand, both by the fans and by the story, to weave the RDR1 and RDR2 storylines together.  And trust, the next question on everybody's mind is gonna be "where's Nuevo Paraiso?"   I strongly doubt they're going to put 2/3 of the RDR1 map in there and leave out Mexico. 

4 minutes ago, tsycho said:

I think it's "AUCTION YARD".

Points.  +1

I believe you're right.