• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

Río del Lobo?  

Can we not just work from the trailer and ignore the "leaked" map thoif they match up, cool, but the topic is lot more boring when it's people trying to fudge the trailer scenes into places on that map imo, it doesn't really get anywhere

I proposed the same idea and i think it is best to do so. Human brains are used to creating patterns and combining things when the connections aren't really there.

• Like 3

Made a video summarizing a lot of the theories in this thread, and a few of my own. Sadly I missed some good stuff, one being that the oil field/traintrack appears in the final scene, and that the first & last scenes could be 'book-ends' in the same location (hero approaching the rail line, meets up with 6 other protags, keeps going over the hill - a nod we wouldn't realize until after launch). But it's better than reading 10 pages :p

Proof that we see what we want to see : you're talking about "horseshoe rocks" and link it to the "horseshoe overlook". But the "horseshoe" on the map is clearly the shape made by the river. It's an overlook of this section of the river. :D

You sure? The landmark is pretty far inland, but I guess you could be right. I didn't notice until after uploading that the oil fields are visible over the train-bridge so I'm not correct either way :p. Good eye.

They're definitely crossing a railroad track with mountains, a bridge leading to the oil field, and the oil field at the base of greener hill to their right. You made me take another look at things.

rzuprP3.png

One thing I didn't notice a few frames later...

x2t5LMe.png

Long building to the right of the oil rigs, at the far slope of the green hill. With this perspective:

iQZrypw.png

And the map...

4W5Jxxu.png

EDIT: Didn't see the new post. Sorry you feel that way but I have to disagree, you're free to ignore it and draw your own conclusions, but trying to stop everyone else from acknowledging the map will only delay things pointlessly if it is real. If it isn't I'm glad to be proven wrong, otherwise you can keep scrolling past these posts.

Could the long building be the same building we see in the sceene with the cows? Where we see the man jump on the horse.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible because of that :

Hi everyone !

It's not much, but I'm pretty sure I found a link betweet 11

2sEpDlq.png

...and 15GDAvuE8.png

I add a green line to your pics to help on the direction between this two places.

5207132sEpDlq.jpg

761623GDAvuE8.jpg

From 11 to 15 they clearly move to the left side in the sun direction.

That's a bad drawing but we can see where they go and where they come from

8261182sEpDlq222.jpg

(also we would see the triangle rock from scene 11 if it was the same building)

Made a video summarizing a lot of the theories in this thread, and a few of my own. Sadly I missed some good stuff, one being that the oil field/traintrack appears in the final scene, and that the first & last scenes could be 'book-ends' in the same location (hero approaching the rail line, meets up with 6 other protags, keeps going over the hill - a nod we wouldn't realize until after launch). But it's better than reading 10 pages :p

Proof that we see what we want to see : you're talking about "horseshoe rocks" and link it to the "horseshoe overlook". But the "horseshoe" on the map is clearly the shape made by the river. It's an overlook of this section of the river. :D

You sure? The landmark is pretty far inland, but I guess you could be right. I didn't notice until after uploading that the oil fields are visible over the train-bridge so I'm not correct either way :p. Good eye.

They're definitely crossing a railroad track with mountains, a bridge leading to the oil field, and the oil field at the base of greener hill to their right. You made me take another look at things.

rzuprP3.png

One thing I didn't notice a few frames later...

x2t5LMe.png

Long building to the right of the oil rigs, at the far slope of the green hill. With this perspective:

iQZrypw.png

And the map...

4W5Jxxu.png

EDIT: Didn't see the new post. Sorry you feel that way but I have to disagree, you're free to ignore it and draw your own conclusions, but trying to stop everyone else from acknowledging the map will only delay things pointlessly if it is real. If it isn't I'm glad to be proven wrong, otherwise you can keep scrolling past these posts.

Could the long building be the same building we see in the sceene with the cows? Where we see the man jump on the horse.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible because of that :

Hi everyone !

It's not much, but I'm pretty sure I found a link betweet 11

2sEpDlq.png

...and 15GDAvuE8.png

I add a green line to your pics to help on the direction between this two places.

5207132sEpDlq.jpg

761623GDAvuE8.jpg

From 11 to 15 they clearly move to the left side in the sun direction.

That's a bad drawing but we can see where they go and where they come from

8261182sEpDlq222.jpg

(also we would see the triangle rock from scene 11 if it was the same building)

Yeah, I can see that now, but they are in same place I think.

Sorry if someone has already figured this out...trying to work on my map and keep up with the progress in this thread is challenging to say the least. I created this panorama from the final shot, including placeholder directions. I'm not sure if we start out looking NORTH, or not, but I don't really care at this point (that can be corrected later). What I'm trying to determine is: Have we seen any of the horizon to the "EAST" in this image? If we can fill in that missing quadrant, we can wrap this image as a 360 degree panorama, and then correct the N-S-E-W. Just a thought.

yXdzqu6.jpg

• Like 6

Alright, I spent a few more hours working away on my 3D rendering of the map.

Ultimately, I managed to come up with this: (apologies in advance for the black and white images)
PcXiM9s.png

To help prove my work, here is a 3D version with each key mountain labeled:
t3AtmIN.png

And here is the panorama taken from the trailer, which each corresponding mountain labeled the same as the image above:

zZ5kEpe.png

Further, with this, I was able to roughly find the locations of 5 of the scenes from the trailer. You can see all of that here:

Scene 7:

Location on map:
9wmuuHs.png
Trailer:
7pWCgPw.png
My map:
IueWi4z.png

Scene 15:

Position on map:
aaZC6m3.png
Trailer:
cugOibpg.png
My map:
EUVaSpO.png

Scene 9:

Position on map:
HryYPRL.png
Trailer:
aTOHxDw.png
My map:
NQi0DQS.png

Scene 1:

Position on map:
BM45PJG.png
Trailer:
GDoLAzo.png
My map:
JEV1nrP.png

Scene 11:

Position on map:
Ci0XDaP.png
Trailer:
KlXncCm.png
My map:
MCVpTaH.png

Ultimately, it seems as though the scenes fit like this:
UOB3yXN.png
Now, of course it's likely that I have made a lot of errors while putting this together. However, I believe that it's close. I could not figure out the location for the river scene, however it's probably within these mountains somewhere as it seems as though R* has really only shown us one part of the map.

Also, I couldn't get this to fit onto the leaked map that everyone won't stop talking about. If any of you can manage it, go ahead. This is what I managed to get by using only the trailer for my analysis/base.
Edited by jaredk_

Okay guys so I decided to share my thoughts on the whole leaked map thing. Today I found myself reading about this on other websites and then on reddit, I found something worth sharing, someone who goes by the username yuv912 did a research that might confirm the authencity of the map. Here goes his study...

''So this screenshot from the trailer lines up perfectly with that part of the leaked map.

Not only are both the train tracks and the farm visible but the "Cumberland Forest" area of the map appears to begin just north of the farm which is also clearly the case in the screenshot.

Also, notice the Grizzlies in the background.

This might be far stretched here but let me know what you guys think.''

jPgtVbO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jPgtVbO.jpg <-- Click on the link for a better perspective of the map

He also talks about another map study, made by Dingid_Forester

yXSL59V.png

http://i.imgur.com/yXSL59V.png <-- Click on the link for a better perspective of the map

OKAY, now here are my particular thoughts.... I am still not convinced BUT the whole leak thing could be real, even thou the map above say a few things slightely don't match, but this game is a work in progress. And also the mountain could be really supposed to be there, because I'm starting to have this theory that the darker areas of the map represent regions with more mountains, as we can see by the old Tall Trees area. And the lighter the regions on the map, the more flat they are, which can be seen by the Great Plains and would make a lot of sense for the Bayou zone.

Anyways, this is just a theory and again, I am still not sold on the map, but one has got to analyse different theories to come to a conclusion.

EDIT

I'd also like to point out that the GTA V leaked map in 2013, launch year, which looked like this

GTA_V_map.jpg

was ALSO first exposed on NeoGAF forums, just like this supposed RDR2 leaked map.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-grand-theft-auto-v-map-is-massive-1287570002

Edited by Gabriela_L
  • Like 2

@Gabriela_L

Colorado would be cool, however Colorado itself seems far fetched. Colorado would be considered Mountain States, but definitely not Heartland Region. However, I digress as the term Heartland could mean anything really as long it is the middle of the US. Maybe you're right as the Great Plains Region could coin the term "Heartland"

Heartland Examples (These are one of many examples of what Heartland could mean):

Great Plains

Map_of_Great_Plains2.jpg

Central States:

central.gif

-

Oh okay, being brazilian I dont know much about american states but yes just now I was starting to think about the direction the map was taking us to. More towards Texas and then Lousiana with the New Bordeaux.

Edited my last post.

Now that I'm thinking, going from New Austin to New Bordeaux... the map seems too small to cover such a huge area. Oh well, only the future will truly tell the map looks like.

But the incentive of this thread is great, it's like a game of putting together puzzle pieces.

Edited by Gabriela_L

I think they took some liberties regarding the actual US and smashed a few areas together while keeping their vague general area so there could be more landscape variety in the map. Like, Grizzles = the Rockies, Heartland = Midwest, Big Valley = Nevada-ish area, Great Plains = the upper plains (Minnesota, Wi, the Dakotas etc) Cumberland Forest/Roanoke Ridge = the SE US/Cumberland Gap, Bayou NWA = Louisiana/Mississippi area

• Like 2

Has there been a consensus on what each region of the supposed leaked map represent? That would probably make it easier to identify where some areas are on the map. From looking at the map, here is what I am guessing all the areas are based on.

Roanoke Ridge - North Carolina

Bluegill Marsh - Florida/Keys

Bayou - Lousiana

Scarlett Meadows - Oklahoma / Kansas

Heartlands - Texas/Wyoming/Colorado

Cumberland Forest - Black Hills/Forest - Deadwood, South Dakota

Big Valley - Arizona/Wyoming because of Horseshoe Bend and possibly Nevada because of the dam

Grizzlies Intro - Colorado

Grizzlies - Montana

Obviously it's impossible to tell but these are my guesses. If this map is true that is quite a bit of variation in scenery if they base it on the real locations. What does everyone else think?

Another thing I was thinking of. Isn't it too much of a coincidence that this map include a large section called Heartlands, and that Rockstar posted this quote in their website? "Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland." Seems too lucky of a guess for a fake if you ask me.

Edited by Napalmbrain

Okay guys so I decided to share my thoughts on the whole leaked map thing. Today I found myself reading about this on other websites and then on reddit, I found something worth sharing, someone who goes by the username yuv912 did a research that might confirm the authencity of the map. Here goes his study...

''So this screenshot from the trailer lines up perfectly with that part of the leaked map.

Not only are both the train tracks and the farm visible but the "Cumberland Forest" area of the map appears to begin just north of the farm which is also clearly the case in the screenshot.

Also, notice the Grizzlies in the background.

This might be far stretched here but let me know what you guys think.''

He also talks about another map study, made by Dingid_Forester

yXSL59V.png

http://i.imgur.com/yXSL59V.png <-- Click on the link for a better perspective of the map

OKAY, now here are my particular thoughts.... I am still not convinced BUT the whole leak thing could be real, even thou the map above say a few things slightely don't match, but this game is a work in progress. And also the mountain could be really supposed to be there, because I'm starting to have this theory that the darker areas of the map represent regions with more mountains, as we can see by the old Tall Trees area. And the lighter the regions on the map, the more flat they are, which can be seen by the Great Plains and would make a lot of sense for the Bayou zone.

Anyways, this is just a theory and again, I am still not sold on the map, but one has got to analyse different theories to come to a conclusion.

EDIT

I'd also like to point out that the GTA V leaked map in 2013, launch year, which looked like this

GTA_V_map.jpg

was ALSO first exposed on NeoGAF forums, just like this supposed RDR2 leaked map.

Didn't see that little house in the woods. Great find. But I have to say that this creek looks more like little creek, so this cabin could be Watsons Cabin. It would fit, but i'm not 100% convinced since it looks like there is water directly in front of the house. None the less I'm starting to believe this leaked map could be real...

I adjusted some color and contrast settings on the map key. Looks something like "Rently" Couldn't read the other one

5hAfUZv.jpg

Edited by Herbert_Moon

I think its rustlings. To steal a heard of cattle, a common crime in the years gone by.

"In the American Old West, rustling was considered a serious offense, and in some cases resulted in vigilantes hanging the thieves.[7]

One cause of tensions between Mexico and the United States in the years leading up to the Mexican-American War (of 1846-1848) was the frequent raiding of cattle by Native Americans from north of the border. Mexico's military and diplomatic capabilities had declined after it attained independence and left the northern half of the country vulnerable to the Apache, Comanche, and Navajo Indians. The Indians, especially the Comanche, took advantage of Mexico's weakness to undertake large-scale raids hundreds of miles deep into the country to steal livestock for their own use and to supply an expanding market in Texas and the United States. The Indian raids left thousands of people dead and devastated northern Mexico. When American troops entered northern Mexico in 1846 they found a demoralized people and little resistance from the civilian population."

Edited by Red XIII
  • Like 1

I wonder why is Dakota River on the map called like that? Of course it can be just a placeholder name, but Rockstar always name some files of their games by the name of its originals, like in san andreas or gta 4 they have named some files like LA, Queens etc. if this files are related to the game places, so LA is Los Santos, Queens is Dukes and so on. So there is a possibility that Dakota River is somehow related to South or North Dakota states. Maybe Dakota River is Missouri River?

And by the way, there's also Montana River on the map. Montana state is a neighboring state to both North and South Dakota states, and the "Little Creek" river could be "Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone River" whis is come from Missouri River

BU9olcR.jpg

Clarks-Fork-of-the-Yellowstone-River-Pil

So guys what do you think of that? I'm guessing that the north-west part of the map is North-South Dakota and Montana.

Edited by -Quantum-
  • Like 1

You guys matching the map to the real US are mentioning a lot of states. But it pays to remember that a lot of these places were once territories.

Arizona and New Mexico became states in 1912 - just one year after the first game. No doubt the fine work of government agents Edgar Ross and John Marston played a part in this process.

Dakota and Montana territories became states in 1889, Wyoming in 1890. Could this be a clue to the time and place of the next game?

Colorado, which corresponds roughly with West Elizabeth, became a state in 1876 - as shown in the excellent old TV miniseries Centennial.

You guys matching the map to the real US are mentioning a lot of states. But it pays to remember that a lot of these places were once territories.

That's historically interesting and all, but I don't know how it affects the mapping process one way or the other.

The previous game was set in 1911, the last year of Arizona and New Mexico territories before they became states.

If the next game is the same, it could be set in the last years of the Dakota/Montana/Wyoming territories in 1888 or '89.

Just a theory.

You're right, it doesn't affect the mapping process.

Nobody's perfect, white man.

The mapping sure is some nice work, though.

Edited by Little Big Man

The previous game was set in 1911, the last year of Arizona and New Mexico territories before they became states.

If the next game is the same, it could be set in the last years of the Dakota/Montana/Wyoming territories in 1888 or '89.

Just a theory.

You're right, it doesn't affect the mapping process.

Nobody's perfect, white man.

The mapping sure is some nice work, though.

I Think its the arkansas River which would make sense being its above new bordeaux

Alright, I spent a few more hours working away on my 3D rendering of the map.

Ultimately, I managed to come up with this: (apologies in advance for the black and white images)

To help prove my work, here is a 3D version with each key mountain labeled:

t3AtmIN.png

And here is the panorama taken from the trailer, which each corresponding mountain labeled the same as the image above:

zZ5kEpe.png

Further, with this, I was able to roughly find the locations of 5 of the scenes from the trailer. You can see all of that here:

Scene 7:

Location on map:
9wmuuHs.png
Trailer:
7pWCgPw.png
My map:
IueWi4z.png

Scene 15:

Position on map:
aaZC6m3.png
Trailer:
cugOibpg.png
My map:
EUVaSpO.png

Scene 9:

Position on map:
HryYPRL.png
Trailer:
aTOHxDw.png
My map:
NQi0DQS.png

Scene 1:

Position on map:
BM45PJG.png
Trailer:
GDoLAzo.png
My map:
JEV1nrP.png

Scene 11:

Position on map:
Ci0XDaP.png
Trailer:
KlXncCm.png
My map:
MCVpTaH.png

Ultimately, it seems as though the scenes fit like this:

UOB3yXN.png

Now, of course it's likely that I have made a lot of errors while putting this together. However, I believe that it's close. I could not figure out the location for the river scene, however it's probably within these mountains somewhere as it seems as though R* has really only shown us one part of the map.

Also, I couldn't get this to fit onto the leaked map that everyone won't stop talking about. If any of you can manage it, go ahead. This is what I managed to get by using only the trailer for my analysis/base.

Wow this is great ! I particularly like how you put scene 7 this close to the "north" of your map. I was having some troubles with this scene, but the way you placed it with D & E being hidden in the panorama makes sense.

EDIT :

I started naming the peaks making them easier for me to remember. That Panorama really helps. Seeing them all together like that.

N0uTBIh.jpg

Be careful, the panorama that Chinese Takeout made is much cleaner than mine (which is totally ugly, see below :D), but I tried to be as precise as possible for the mountains (as it's the important part) and I can see some errors in Chinese Takeout's version. For example, the left part of what you call Brokeback and the mountain in front of it are duplicated. Plus everything is leveled and I don't know how relevant this is.

Also, the "Three Peaks" name might be wrong if we take jaredk_'s map into consideration. (C+D, minus E)

C1mWURQ.jpg

Edited by Fachewachewa
CheckOutMyMixtape666

I'd also like to point out that the GTA V leaked map in 2013, launch year, which looked like this[/color]

GTA_V_map.jpg

Dude. That "leaked" map came from the strategy guide days before the game was released. That's a little different than a map leaked before a game was even announced. Edited by CheckOutMyMixtape666
  • Like 5
grope_4_that_date

Where are people getting these names from? Can we renamed Two Tacos to "Big Grope". That sounds a lot better in my opinion. Other suggestions: "Grope's Head", "Grope Peak", "Grope Mountain", "Grope's Thumb", "Blue Grope Ridge" or just simply "Grope".

Be careful, the panorama that Chinese Takeout made is much cleaner than mine (which is totally ugly, see below :D), but I tried to be as precise as possible for the mountains (as it's the important part) and I can see some errors in Chinese Takeout's version. For example, the left part of what you call Brokeback and the mountain in front of it are duplicated. Plus everything is leveled and I don't know how relevant this is.

Also, the "Three Peaks" name might be wrong if we take jaredk_'s map into consideration. (C+D, minus E)

C1mWURQ.jpg

Haha, thanks for the compliment regarding the cleanliness of my panorama! :-)

And I've no doubt that I've made errors in its assembly, but I pretty much brought to bear every bit of my OCD scrutiny on your claim that I made an error with the section DuPz0r calls "Brokeback Mountain" (great name, btw), and I'm having trouble pinpointing it. Can you point it out to me a bit more clearly? you said, "the left part of what you call Brokeback and the mountain in front of it are duplicated." I can't make out to what you are referring. Thanks!

As far as it being "level," for my panorama I decided to correct for camera paralax, which isn't incorrect insomuch as it's a different aesthetic choice. But, I certainly appreciate the feedback and would love to have any other errors I've made pointed out to me. Thanks again!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Fixing it now. Good catch!

Edited by Chinese Takeout

I'd also like to point out that the GTA V leaked map in 2013, launch year, which looked like this[/color]

GTA_V_map.jpg

Dude. That "leaked" map came from the strategy guide days before the game was released. That's a little different than a map leaked before a game was even announced.

First, I'm not a dude.

Second, I see, I didn't know that was leaked from a guide. Because I read in two different websites and they do not explain that.

CheckOutMyMixtape666

GTA_V_map.jpg

Dude. That "leaked" map came from the strategy guide days before the game was released. That's a little different than a map leaked before a game was even announced.

First, I'm not a dude.

Second, I see, I didn't know that was leaked from a guide. Because I read in two different websites and they do not explain that.

Dude. The link you provided says it.

"The Los Santos map was leaked today thanks to a copy of a GTA V guide"

The article was posted three days before GTA V was released. Do you wanna tussle

Just f*cking with ya. I haven't posted on this forum in over a year

Edited by CheckOutMyMixtape666