• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuPz0r

• BretMaverick777

• Chinese Takeout

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet.      3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

I realise I don't have a good time of day, but note the gap in the floorboards in RDR1

I made this gif just to show the map matches. Credit goes to @TheWhiteHat for telling me about it!

1 hour ago, Mirokunite said:

The road to nowhere might just dead end at a cave or campsite or something. As in real life not all roads terminate at a point of interest. Granted that map is several years old, and there might be something at the end of it I doubt it for now.

Those roads don't "terminate."

That's the point.  ✌

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet. 

LovTA1y.jpg

3D view: https://skfb.ly/6AXNp

Major kudos, I tried to do something like this a year ago and didn't get far.  It's great to see this possible world in 3D

Somewhere there's a mesh of the previous Red Dead. It'd be exciting to see this next to this wonderful mesh!

z38II2z.jpg

Edited by alz
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Made an update to the terrain map. Went in and fixed a few more issues. Added a more realistic colour pallet. 

LovTA1y.jpg

Someone posted a 3D map of RDR1 2-3 pages ago. Is there any way you could use that and combine the two? The only terrain area we would be missing at that point would be parts of the map we haven't seen any information of yet, or areas that have insignificant terrain, like Bayou NWA.

5 hours ago, BretMaverick777 said:

If I was placing this in IRL America, Minnesota would be my first choice. 

OwkqVPP.jpg

Yah, you betcha. You got that right.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, alz said:

Somewhere there's a mesh of the previous Red Dead. 

24 minutes ago, Sausache said:

Someone posted a 3D map of RDR1 2-3 pages ago. Is there any way you could use that and combine the two? 

Here is the FBX, textures are combined to a single 4k atlas.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Holy f*ckballs I open this thread for the first time in a while and people are doing 3d renders of the map. Mad props.

Like opening the kitchen door and finding a whole buffet waiting for you, eh?

I just caught up with the thread, holy crap that's an amazing 3D rendition of what we know. Consider yourself featured on RDNet ;) @DuPz0r

• Like 8

A good chunk of Michigan is built off marshes and pseudo-wetlands.

It's why they do construction 24/7/365 around here because the underpinning geology is basically pulling the roads apart throughout the year.

In the late 1800s, it would've been steamers, trappers/hunters, traders, and timber men. 

The UP is still gloriously unspoiled and I hope it stays that way.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:56 PM, bcsimms04 said:

How so?

It's a video game and reality will be sacrificed for fun and variety.

But the Heartlands are an arid zone yet it borders a sizable river and large body of water.

It's smashing them between two extremes, high and low elevation (and pressure). 

They're fudging it but feels the least believable to me. 

• Like 2

The big forest in this shot is likely Cumberland Forest, right? Looks huge, and I can't see any other forest indicated on the map.  Any thoughts as to where this brawl is taking place in relation to the leaked map? 

sfodcCD.jpg

• Like 2

Did anyone mention yet that we have a tram in Saint Denis? I think that's truly awesome .. it's not shown on the map of Saint Denis, is it?

WMaye17.jpg

(trailer #3)

Edited by jimmybrooks
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, pjw said:

The big forest in this shot is likely Cumberland Forest, right? Looks huge, and I can't see any other forest indicated on the map.  Any thoughts as to where this brawl is taking place in relation to the leaked map? 

sfodcCD.jpg

big valley

• Like 2
e1999KrayzieBone

I wonder if the Cumberland Forest is based off of the Cumberland Plateau. Stretching across eastern Tennessee from Alabama north into Kentucky, the Cumberland Plateau rises more than 1,000 feet above the Tennessee River Valley to a vast tableland of sandstone and shale dating as far back as 500 million years.The world's longest hardwood forested plateau is home to many plants and animals found nowhere else.

The Cumberland Plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau in the Appalachian Mountains of the United States.

Edited by e1999KrayzieBone
On 8/26/2018 at 9:45 AM, DuPz0r said:

This is just incredible. Great work, man!

One idea I had: can you either (A) add a overlay LAYER with the location names (regions/states/towns/landmarks/whatever), or (B) if you can't do layers, just copy/pasta a second map file, and then permanently add the location names?

Like Donny, I have no frame of reference for how difficult it may be to add the location names once you've already bump-mapped the map, so ignore if too difficult.

Ct4DkT7VYAAuuzx.jpg

• Like 5
11 hours ago, wagszilla said:

A good chunk of Michigan is built off marshes and pseudo-wetlands.

It's why they do construction 24/7/365 around here because the underpinning geology is basically pulling the roads apart throughout the year.

In the late 1800s, it would've been steamers, trappers/hunters, traders, and timber men. 

The UP is still gloriously unspoiled and I hope it stays that way.

It's a video game and reality will be sacrificed for fun and variety.

But the Heartlands are an arid zone yet it borders a sizable river and large body of water.

It's smashing them between two extremes, high and low elevation (and pressure). 

They're fudging it but feels the least believable to me. 

There are arid places with rivers (Arizona, Egypt, Pakistan) and next to large bodies of water (Kalahari, Sahara and Atacama deserts).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bcsimms04 said:

There are arid places with rivers (Arizona, Egypt, Pakistan) and next to large bodies of water (Kalahari, Sahara and Atacama deserts).

Not to mention the Great Plains themselves.   Mississippi River, the Platte, Powder River, etc. 

Not sure that "arid" is the right word to describe the Plains....there may not be anything but a sea of grass there, botanically speaking, but it's still sustainable, for human and animal life.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, e1999KrayzieBone said:

I wonder if the Cumberland Forest is based off of the Cumberland Plateau. Stretching across eastern Tennessee from Alabama north into Kentucky, the Cumberland Plateau rises more than 1,000 feet above the Tennessee River Valley to a vast tableland of sandstone and shale dating as far back as 500 million years.The world's longest hardwood forested plateau is home to many plants and animals found nowhere else.

The Cumberland Plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau in the Appalachian Mountains of the United States.

I'm sure the Cumberland Plateau is part of R*'s inspiration.   The first things I thought about were Cumberland Plateau and Cumberland Gap.   The name is ubiquitous around Tennessee, Kentucky, eastern Ohio, West Virginia; it honors Daniel Boone's critical discovery of a route through the Appalachians to the plains beyond.   In 1899, though, Tennessee itself would be mostly farmland as it is today; the deep forests would long since have been cleared out.   That's why I think in RDR2's case, the name of the region applies more to northern states, where the forests were (and still are) largely unspoiled.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, INFERNO E100 said:

big valley

Yeah, on a ridge facing north, with another big ridge across a heavily wooded valley....most likely above Strawberry Creek in Big Valley.

4 hours ago, jimmybrooks said:

Did anyone mention yet that we have a tram in Saint Denis? I think that's truly awesome .. it's not shown on the map of Saint Denis, is it?

WMaye17.jpg

(trailer #3)

Yeah, the trolley cars are cool.  Can't wait to see more of St. Denis.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jimmybrooks said:

WMaye17.jpg

(trailer #3)

Not as I can tell. If it's not one of the train tracks we see, but i highly doubt that as none of them run through the city.

9jrHDGE.jpg

Bits and pieces of stuff and thangs.

ID5fmqj.jpg

u6LX6GI.jpg

Did we know about the little house beside the Valentine Church?   Maybe it's a parsonage?   Looks like it's right across the street from one of the saloons, if my Valentine mappers can confirm.

*EDIT:   Actually, two different buildings, now that I look at it....the top pic shows the church and graveyard, but that dark brown wooden building with the hitching post seems to be the actual saloon.   The parsonage, if that's what it is in picture 2, would be offscreen left behind the saloon in picture 1.

ifnPYjp.jpg

Is this the same bridge the Southern & Eastern RR train is crossing?   That's a water tower marked by the yellow circle, meaning a train station is located there.  Ideas?

TpZUI1U.jpg

Pretty sure this is Larned Sod.   That building circled in yellow has dirt walls and a grass roof....that's how prairie sodbuster settlers used to build most of their houses out in Kansas and Nebraska.  

Edited by BretMaverick777
Just now, ZacCoxTV said:

Remember when the community pieced together GTA 5's map based off of trailers and it was like 99% accurate? I hope this is the case again. Great job! 

It will, here are guys that are awesome!!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BretMaverick777 said:

ID5fmqj.jpg

u6LX6GI.jpg

It reminds me an image I posted in october 2017 when I tried to locate this cemetery.

laveuv11.jpg

Now we know that the mounts we see from the cemetery are in the northwest from Valentine. So I can complete this old image.

QrMs7bF.jpg

Edited by koeklin
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

gBD2ekW.gif

Is this area Tall Trees leading up to the Aurora Basin?

That's kinda what I thought at first. Then I thought Little Creek was more likely. However, the mini-map indicates they are traveling a trail next to a creek heading precisely North East. 

I can't find a trail that heads north east on the leaked map alongside a creek / river that would match up with their travel direction and what we can see on the minimap here. So maybe it's a smaller stream / trail that isn't fully visible on the leaked map.

Probably either one of those places or somewhere in the Grizzlies.

Edited by in the bag
  • Like 2